User Reviews for Metoprolol to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 3)

Also known as: Metoprolol Tartrate, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol

Glo · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2018

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “I decided to try this medicine again for high blood pressure. It would make my blood bp okay but drop my pulse in 40s. Once again tried 1 pill 25mg started feeling like rubbish and my blood pressure still 150/100, and my pulse 48”

anxious59 August 9, 2018

“Took 25 mg for 2 months was working great then stopped working. Now I am on 50 mg and my BP is high than before 150/90 with a pulse of 60 to 70, At times my BP in 160 to 170/ 100 how can the medicine increase you BP when it's suppose to lower it.”

liam · Taken for 10 years or more July 4, 2018

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “Long term hypertensive and one old MI. IT WORKS.”

Finn · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 20, 2018

“For me this medicine has been fantastic. While I'm on it I finally feel normal again. The only downside is that when I wake up in the mornings before taking my meds it honestly feels like my chest is going to explode. Like there is just this really super weird pressure in my centre of my chest. But once I take the meds again it goes away instantly so I'm pretty happy with it all things considered”

Old · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2018

“Cardiologist prescribed this for anxiety , I think. He didn't tell me he prescribed it though. The pharmacy called and said it was ready. So , trusting him , I took it at bedtime for two nights. Extreme upper middle abdominal pain , no appetite, extreme fatigue on day two. Didn't take anymore. 3rd day trying to deal with pain in abdomen.”

b · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “My experience with this drug was that I was always tired and had no energy, I was told that I had to take the drug once a day and I took it when I got home after work. My Blood Pressure skyrocketed instead of going down. It left me sleeping longer, I was cranky and crabby as well. I ran out of the product. I went back to my doctor 3-4 X and she prescribed another medicine to help lower my Blood Pressure. I took that prescription and went to Walmart, got a print out of the medication and decided not to take it. In February I changed doctors, took the empty prescription bottle with me and asked him if I needed to take it further. I ran out of the product and was taking an alternative that had Hawthorne extract, Potassium, and other nutritional supplements to lower my BP.”

ChefD · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2018

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “I have been on this for about 10 years. First 50mg 2x daily and now for the past 2 years 25mg 2x daily, this is due to weight loss. It controls my high BP. Sometimes I have a fast heart beat, but that seems to be my only side effect.”

Captain · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 13, 2018

“Has anybody had the experience with ringing of the ears with metoprolol I had open heart surgery 4 years ago and two and a half years ago my ears started to ring. If yes did anybody change to another medicine? to stop it? I wonder if it's too late and whether my ears are damaged”

PreciousDaughter · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2018

“Blinding migraines began in 2014 and a whole slew of other symptoms accompanied. (Major Auras, Pre- & Post-) Since I did not have headaches it was difficult to diagnose. I had major job related, family, & health stressors. I was placed on Imitrex and it appeared to be working to quickly relieve migraines but did not last. Over time my blood pressure began to raise and Imitrex can cause it. My cardiologist put me on Metoprolol Succinate ER 25 mg for my blood pressure and what do you know! I can think clearer and migraines All gone! God is truly Good! I have less anxiety, blood pressure down, & migraines gone! I forgot to mention that I really do not like to take medicines. I prefer the natural route. But this medicine was worth taking!”

vic · Taken for 10 years or more April 3, 2018

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “This is the best meds ever , been on 25 mg ER for 20 years , control mine BP for years , still just take 25 mg ,love this meds no side effect”

KG · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2018

“I hate this medicine. It did one heck of a number on my digestive tract. It interferes with a gut nerve in the brain. The diarrhea was awful. I thought I was developing IBS, then I read an IBS article about a woman who had the same symptoms as I. When she got off Metoprolol, the "IBS" stopped! I could only eat rice. Lost a ton of weight, but it wasn't worth it. Now, I have finally weaned off of it and my digestive tract is quiet, returning to normal.Please be careful when taking it.”

Jesse · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2018

“Afib is the cause dujour of unexplained stroke. I have a loop recorder implanted, and take 50 mg metoprolol twice a day. Turns out my 3 strokes were caused by ibuprofen; few people have that problem, but not the reason for this post. My pulse has been 60 for 60 years. Used a manual BP cuff for 40 years; switched to automatic cuff 10 years ago. The Omron I am using is exacting, it won't take a BP unless I'm relaxed, have the cuff on properly, and sit still. I trust it implicitly. Nurses slap a cuff on my arm after I race to an appointment; my BP is always 120/70. Wrong. The cardiologist who implanted my ILR asked me to take my BP twice a day. [deleted excess length.] Back in the real world my BP is back to 145/85 where my body likes it. But my pulse rate is all screwed up. I NEVER had a heart rate of 85 to 95 before taking metoprolol; now it hits that for no reason. I don't like the way metoprolol is messing with my pulse. After metoprolol my pulse is 50 or so.”

6582rascal · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 17, 2018

“I have had several years adverse side effects, weight gain, tiredness, rhinitis all of which my doctor ignores. Needed other blood pressure meds to help. Would not be taking this if doctor would stop it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2018

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “I have skin breakouts from this medication but I don't get migraines anymore or fast heartbeat.”

HANDYTIM · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 20, 2018

“Dropped systolic a bit, and diastolic in a week or two. But by third week I was experiencing consistent erectile dysfunction (ED). The occasional runs, stuffy nose and aches and pains are ok to live with, but consistent ED is not, at least for me. It just grows semi hard, half the size I really am, and takes 3-4 x longer. Interesting that the factory doesn't list this effect. I'm hoping doc switches me to bysytolic, very few side effects, maybe have my life back”

Yee Wah · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2017

“I have been on Metoprolol 50 mg for 4 years to treat irregular heart beat and high blood pressure. I am a 58 years old Asian female, with normal weight. My blood pressure is now 130/80 but my pulse rate can be as low as 49, which my doctor told me to stop Metoprolol. My BP went 140/100 and pulse rate increased. I decided to resume Metoprolol 50 mg and my BP is normal again. I have started to do half an hour of high intensity exercise daily to achieve a better heart beat. I have no side effects whatever and I really love this medicine.”

Loke · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “I've only been on this med for three weeks; my b/p seems to be adjusting how ever it's normal or low at bedtime for example (110/46) (118/60) in the morning when I take it it's (178/90) 188/84) as the goes on it drops to (142/68) strange things happen to our bodies as we age .I'm going to continue taking it to see if my pressure become adjusted after three months I'll check the progress.”

NathanielA · Taken for 10 years or more October 30, 2017

Lopressor (metoprolol): “I'v'e been taking Lopressor, 100mg, 1 tab twice daily for more years than I can remember... probably 20 or so, for hypertension. It seems, together with 2 other meds, i.e. dyazide and Altace, aka Ramipril, an ACE Inhibitor. they usually give me good BP readings. Recently, and I think it was more to do with dehydration... I had 2 SVT attacks within 60 or so days of each other.... and, again, if anything the lopressor probably did its best to prevent them... but it can't do everything. In short, this drug has been around a long time, and is a time-tested Beta Blocker.”

Deano12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2017

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I had a transient ischemic attack (TIA) in March 17. I'm a 53 yo male. Always had higher heart rate and family history of high blood pressure. I could actually feel the TIA coming on over a few weeks, but I'm a tough guy. Several drugs tried and failed. Lisinipril damn near killed me with blood pressure of 175/133. Read a lot and switched to Toprol XL, no generic!!!! I take 50mg at night slow release. Feel great and few side effects. Pressures are good and heart rate is down. Sex still works and anxiety is cut in half. Good stuff. Takes a 1-2 week adjustment period. Relax and let it work.”

ABarbato October 3, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “I'm supposed to take this medication for my blood pressure but a year and half later the pressure is still the same even though doctor increase the dose from 50 to 100 mg. Seems like the doctor care more about my heart rate (that is Lower than before so is working), but my blood pressure is ever the same, especially the night time is ever 8 around 85/140 (sometimes 150 or 160). I told this many times but he still thinking about the BPM..so at the end the BPM decrease but not the blood pressure so is working 50/50. PS I gained more than 10lb after using the metoprolol”

Rocky74 · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2017

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Went to have foot injury x-rayed at urgent care, and spiked a blood pressure of 195/110 maybe due to pain.Was given this by IV in the ER, then pills for 3-4 nights at home. It lowered my b.p. by like 20 points/day, and I was fine for 2 days, but then had episodes of exhaustion to the point where I had to lie on the couch for hours to recover from simple housework like washing pots. Was also short of breath like I'd run 5 miles. Swallowing felt weird. Got disoriented while driving. It's a 9 on effectiveness, but can't tolerate the side effects. Am 63/F.”

ChristophA September 16, 2017

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I have tried the generic version (extended release) after using brand name Toprol XL. The generic did not work well for me. After a few days it felt like I hadn't taken the medicine. Toprol XL works great, and when i swapped back to the original I felt great again. There must be some difference in the release between the two. This med brings the BP into 120's over low to mid 70's range where I was reg 140's/90's. It also helps bpm from mid 90's down to upper 70's.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2017

“Controls my blood pressure with mild side affects such as dry mouth and dizziness that did go away after a few days of taking it.”

Patty Mae · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2017

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “White spots In my mouth. It only works for ten hours and then my ears start ringing telling me that my blood pressure is up again.”

kza · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2017

“Prescribed this for heart palpitations/tachycardia associated with extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Also had rather elevated blood pressure which I think runs in the family. Felt awful for weeks prior to being prescribed the medication, but once I started taking it things improved VERY quickly. Resting heart rate and blood pressure both down, no more palpitations, far less health anxiety. Doctor described it as having a "calming effect" and I definitely agree. No side effects to speak of thus far about 2 months in. 90mg immediate release once per day.”