User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Atrial Fibrillation

"I take 100mg twice a day with no issues since I was found with atrial fibrillation. Before I was taking Coreq and my resting heartbeat was always 43, now with this medicine it's 45 to 50 and my cardiologist says all is fine have a pacemaker and defibrillator."

EDDIE, CALIFORNIA (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lowered resting beats per mminute but did not affect rhythm."

Gorman1969 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had zero issue's taking 25mg once daily in the morning and I haven't had an episode since I began. I've seen the posts about weight gain and loss of energy but haven't experienced any of that."

BU86 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed 50mg of metoprolol a year ago for afib and about to go up to 100mg since my heart rate tends to stay around 90. Absolutely no side effects. Working on diet and losing weight. No weight gain due to the drug. Energy up and I don't feel effects of fib. Life is good!"

macfudd (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have gained weight, feel lethargic and irritable. Hair thinning. Constantly running nose, dizzy, slow heart rate. Actually feel terrible. Can't exercise as unbalanced."

Buddah2510 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Loss of sexual appetite, tingling fingers."

MARK Kar March 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bad amount of reactions to this drug, diarrhea, bloating, nausea, extremely tired."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi..I have afib...I am on a 100 mg of metoprolol ..I have had good success with this medication..a family history of heart disease with angina pains..mine began at the age of 26 with angina pains, placed on caridezem at the time..at the age of 49 had blockages of 100-99-65 ... the 100 was the widow maker..which my surgeon spent two hours to stent... ended up going back in every week for three straight weeks to get the others...the back of my heart had stopped pumping at the time...about two years ago, at the age of 60 I began with afib..now I have been on this metoprolol , along with other medication, Plavix and aspirin ..being a bad diabetic as well..I know this medication has given me more life and quality.."

Rebecca k. December 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on 50mg about 6 months now It took two weeks for me to adjust to the meds. I have had to make serious life changes no more smoking and drinking I can't eat food with high salt contents because I've notice my heart rate increases and I have irregular heart rate very uncomfortable, and I watch my sugar intake. I exercise on a regular basis if I don't work out I just keep busy move around go for a simple walk. The only issue I have is at times my heart rate is low anywhere from 52-56 bpm when I'm laying down or even sometimes when I go shopping. I notice I have like a bit off lightheadedness dizzy not sure but not all the time. The medication works as long as I'm not doing the things that trigger AFib."

Rivy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PCP (primary care physician) put me on Metoprolol ER Succinate 50 mg after Atrial Flutter of 136 bpm. After on it for 16 weeks, I developed heart block (a side effect). Heart got screwed up and pulse went down to 40 bpm. Had to get a pacemaker. A totally risky drug."

Kevinaki (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed hydrochlorothyazide to lower BP. Within 2 weeks I had tachycardia and went to the ER at the VA. After about 8 hours the tachycardia went away but the idiots at the ER didn't see fit to take me off hydrochlorothyazide. So, within 2 weeks I had another bout of tachycardia and went to the ER again. This time I was put on metropolol and still not taken off of hydrochlorothyazide. Instead of tachycardia I ended up within 2 weeks with arrhythmia that was so bad it felt as if my heart was going to explode through my chest. I kept having bouts of arrhythmia every 2 weeks with my heart exploding with every heartbeat. I used a food protocol changed everything. D-ribose does the same as metropolol with no side effects."

Eye of Horus (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recently switched from metaprolol, 1/2 of 25 mg/ day to brand name Toprol xl & have found the negative side effects- fatigue, too low blood pressure, dizziness, nausea- to be much less. I still feel a little of that about 12 hours after I take it- I figure that is a slight " withdrawal" effect, it lasts about 30-45 min. & I don't have it every day. When I took the generic ( manufacturer, PAR) I felt on a roller coaster, up & down all day. The time release delivery feels to be much smoother with the brand name, toprol- I recommend it. All in all, it works well, keeps my heart in sinus rhythm, but it's a tough drug to have to take."

Claudia2 November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 8 hours of fast, irregular beating I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with afib, which reverted on its own after a few hours. The doctor prescribed metoprolol ER 25mg. I tried to give this drug a chance, but it did absolutely nothing to stop subsequent episodes. If anything they seemed to get worse. It felt like my heart was stopping altogether. I'm a fit 27 year old with low BP and resting heart rate. Because of this, I have to question the doctor's judgement in prescribing this medication. It brought my BP and heart rate down even further, severely affecting my quality of life. I was constantly lightheaded, foggy, woke up with headaches, etc. Bad decision on his part. Switched to flecainide and feel like myself again!"

BadHeartGuy November 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had constant afib for over 2 years though mostly tolerable. At times though I have spells that usually run less than a few minutes with a heart rate of around 190 plus and pain. My worst battle with this level lasted about 15 minutes. I take 50mg of Metoprolol 2 times a day on a regular basis but add another 50 if I have the biggies and that settles the heart rate down quickly. Luckily I have no side affects but would love to find something else that quickly slows the heart rate ... mainly to avoid the pain and spooky stuff that goes a;long with it. I've had 11 angioplasties and 10 stents since 1990 and am 70."

Dave DP October 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It stopped my PACs (Preatrial contractions ). I was on this med for 13 years. Over three years ago I started having increased muscle weakness, episodes of collapsing or falling without knowing why or even a warning that I was going to fall, extremely dry eyes (OTC eye drops were ineffective), severe muscle spasms, back pain, increased diarrhea, swelling in hands and feet, and pinpoint red spots on my skin. I looked up the side effects of this med and I had 24 of the adverse effects!! I had become so weak that I had to use 2 walking sticks, could hardly get in or out of bed, couldn't walk a 100 ft. I quit taking this med which I thoroughly believe was killing me. I have begun to feel much better regaining some of my muscle strength and have less back pain."

ballmarc (taken for 10 years or more) October 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on metoprolol for SVT & IST after other medications made me worse, dropped my blood pressure too low etc. Although it never completely disappated the issues, I was going from everyday occurances to every 3-6months between each episode. No problems getting the heart rate up in exercise (still quite the opposite actually! I can reach 180bpm after 5mins) Unfortunately it didnt stop the progression to AF. After 6yrs of SVT & metoprolol I was further diagnosed with AF. Dosage was increased from 25mg to 50-75mg per day. Starting to work a little better now in preventing rapid AF however I still get slow AF. Dry mouth, cold extremities & occasional dizzy spells have been all too common however definitely a small price to pay. 28yo fem"

rileyamber (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

"Weight gain"

Nickyname September 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had my third pacer put in the last 18 years. Before the first one I joined the 200 bpm club. Terrible. After my first pacer I still felt very powerful heartbeats. So powerful they kept me awake at night. Doc put me on 50 mg metatropanol and I've felt like a human being ever since. Only complaint is short term memory. 70 year old male."

Frutluptwo2 August 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take Toprol XL @ 50 MG for AF. It's been life-changing. Was admitted for irregular heartbeat in 2012. Took some other medications and they made me feel awful. This was the third medication we tried. I've been taking it every day for four years now and I couldn't be happier. Symptoms are basically gone. A lot of people here report feeling tired, but I don't feel that way at all. I take the pill at night. Maybe that side effect wears off as I sleep? However, I definitely have trouble getting my heart rate up during normal exercise. If you go for more than 30 minutes, though, your heart rate will get up to where it should be while running, cycling, etc. I'm a 44yo white male. HANG IN THERE! There are so many ways to treat issues."

Cordless Drill (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started metaprolol 12.5 mg once a day 6 weeks ago after having an electrical cardioconversion for a rapid, irregular heartbeat. I take blood pressure and pulse 2times/ day and it is averaging 107/71, pulse 63- working well. It took me a good 4 weeks to adapt to the tough side effects though. I felt very tired to the point of falling asleep during the day, was worn out if I walked to far or even stood too long, felt lightheadedness, nauseated, was afraid to drive. I'm glad I stuck it out, the side effects finally abated. Hang in there, the bad side effects can go away. For the record I'm a 69 year old woman, 5`4" 128 lbs. I take the pill at night."

Claredelune June 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"With the start of my diagnosis with afib 3 1/2 years ago, I was started on 12.5 mg of metoprolol. From the beginning, I seemed to have been made sicker, e.g. less energy and seemingly more afib. Metoprolol worked against my prostate meds. Had TURP. TURP gave me CHF. While in hospital, a very old fashioned heart doctor got me up to 250 mg/day. Lots of its side effects. Stopped it and went to ER. Went on Coreg. Gave me swelled legs. Back on low dose of metoprolol. Over time, up to 75 mg of metoprolol. Afib stopped mostly with ICD & 2 ablations. Last straw was numbness in feet and back shooting nerve pain. On carvedilol now and no feet numbness nor back shooting nerve pain. Best I've felt in 3 1/2 years. Only 12.5 mg bid."

RalphVa May 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get severe headaches from this medicine"

Krissy4242 May 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me feel exhausted. Could not get heart rate over 100 when exercising . Gained weight. Dr. Switched medication to lisinopril Now feel reborn."

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was switched from Cardevidiol after many years to metoprorol er. I have been on it for over a week and l have been experiencing severe anxiety attacks, tiredness, restlessness and hell. It really destroys my life and i am hoping dr will describe something better."

Tatjana A April 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hard to know if it works,i've been on it for two years following surgery,aortic valve replacement,vsd repair,maze procedure..Two month ago I had an Afib episode. When my heart feel off,this medicine helps control the symptoms but overall with the combination of losartan and warfarin, I feel,tired,depressed,I'm sun sensitive,get unexplained rashes,have a low sex drive,diarrea...considering it didn't help relapsing al I want to do is stop using it."

Ezphilou April 18, 2016