User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Atrial Fibrillation

"I take Toprol XL @ 50 MG for AF. It's been life-changing. Was admitted for irregular heartbeat in 2012. Took some other medications and they made me feel awful. This was the third medication we tried. I've been taking it every day for four years now and I couldn't be happier. Symptoms are basically gone. A lot of people here report feeling tired, but I don't feel that way at all. I take the pill at night. Maybe that side effect wears off as I sleep? However, I definitely have trouble getting my heart rate up during normal exercise. If you go for more than 30 minutes, though, your heart rate will get up to where it should be while running, cycling, etc. I'm a 44yo white male. HANG IN THERE! There are so many ways to treat issues."

Cordless Drill (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

"I started metaprolol 12.5 mg once a day 6 weeks ago after having an electrical cardioconversion for a rapid, irregular heartbeat. I take blood pressure and pulse 2times/ day and it is averaging 107/71, pulse 63- working well. It took me a good 4 weeks to adapt to the tough side effects though. I felt very tired to the point of falling asleep during the day, was worn out if I walked to far or even stood too long, felt lightheadedness, nauseated, was afraid to drive. I'm glad I stuck it out, the side effects finally abated. Hang in there, the bad side effects can go away. For the record I'm a 69 year old woman, 5`4" 128 lbs. I take the pill at night."

Claredelune June 3, 2016

"With the start of my diagnosis with afib 3 1/2 years ago, I was started on 12.5 mg of metoprolol. From the beginning, I seemed to have been made sicker, e.g. less energy and seemingly more afib. Metoprolol worked against my prostate meds. Had TURP. TURP gave me CHF. While in hospital, a very old fashioned heart doctor got me up to 250 mg/day. Lots of its side effects. Stopped it and went to ER. Went on Coreg. Gave me swelled legs. Back on low dose of metoprolol. Over time, up to 75 mg of metoprolol. Afib stopped mostly with ICD & 2 ablations. Last straw was numbness in feet and back shooting nerve pain. On carvedilol now and no feet numbness nor back shooting nerve pain. Best I've felt in 3 1/2 years. Only 12.5 mg bid."

RalphVa May 27, 2016

"I get severe headaches from this medicine"

Krissy4242 May 12, 2016

"Made me feel exhausted. Could not get heart rate over 100 when exercising . Gained weight. Dr. Switched medication to lisinopril Now feel reborn."

"I was switched from Cardevidiol after many years to metoprorol er. I have been on it for over a week and l have been experiencing severe anxiety attacks, tiredness, restlessness and hell. It really destroys my life and i am hoping dr will describe something better."

Tatjana A April 19, 2016

"Hard to know if it works,i've been on it for two years following surgery,aortic valve replacement,vsd repair,maze procedure..Two month ago I had an Afib episode. When my heart feel off,this medicine helps control the symptoms but overall with the combination of losartan and warfarin, I feel,tired,depressed,I'm sun sensitive,get unexplained rashes,have a low sex drive,diarrea...considering it didn't help relapsing al I want to do is stop using it."

Ezphilou April 18, 2016

"I was very happy with "Betaloc CR 190 " and then they put me on ATF Metoprolol CR 190 and it is crap because if I take 1 in the morning it only lasts about 10 to 13 hours and I end up with A/Fib at night . I never ever had this trouble with Betaloc CR190"

Smiley Bert (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2016

"My husband has congestive heart failure. Was admitted to hospital with fluid on hear & lungs 2 weeks ago. He had never experienced AFIB before. He has been on Atenolol for 13 years with b/p controlled. While in hospital his monitor started showing AFIB so they stopped atenolol and started Metoprelol. He has been weak for several years due to CHF. Now his is combative, not sleeping, talking in his sleep. But he remembers none of it. Is this part of the drug side affect? Or due to the fact the CHF is much worse and he is facing hard reality? Any suggestions or ideas will be helpful. Calling cardiologist tomorrow"

COWBOY818 February 8, 2016

"I am taking Metoprolol 50mg 3 times per day since the beginning of January and my heart rate is still very high137 bpm on average for a seventy one year old male previously active and in good health. When I climb stairs I am short of breath feel weaker than normal. Previous taking Digoxin 62.5mg x3/day. This controlled/capped my HR at 115bpm without side effects. So my HR has increased by comparison since starting Metoprolol. I would welcome all your comment."

kebbler January 31, 2016

"I've been on Metoprolol for 6 weeks after an AF episode of 15 hrs 2 days after a total knee replacement. I was on opioids for pain and never developed constipation. Came off the opioids and find I have diarrhoea which seems to be the medication. I also developed vertigo 10 days ago. It's reduced in severity, but is still hanging around. Again seems likely to be the medication. Off all things meant to help me sleep, Metoprolol has made for some difficult sleepless nights, not something I've ever had before. At the same time it's controlling my heart rate and BP, and so far no more AF. My first week home from rehab I also suffered the anxious feeling, which was an unpleasant, crawly feeling in my chest. It seems to work though."

Beati3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

"4 years ago i had my first Afib 200 heart beat. they keeped me over night with IV in me and slowed the heart down to about 120 sometime over night it reset its self. I take Metoprolol twice a day. Morning and Night. and the Doc said if needed take 1 more. when I first was taken Metoprolol I got tired. and it took a few weeks to get over that feeling. But now I don't get tired. My heart beat is about 65. I do still get Afib but not as bad as i did. I am 47"

DJZMAN (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2015

"I have taken Toprol XL for years for atrial fib and tachycardia. I get very anxious at times without this and my blood pressure and heart rate will race with the chance it could convert to AF. Lately however, my heart rate has fallen to low 40's taking only 10 mg and my doctor has taken me off it completely. I feel very shaky now. My hands visibly tremble and I notice I get more of an adrenaline rush when under pressure or fear. I need something to replace this because I don't want to experience AF again and I need something to calm me down. Any suggestions would be appreciated."

Mike.s0305 September 30, 2015

"It works but!. It has given me bad tinnitus (ringing in ears) that so far has been permanent and is driving me insane......"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2015

"Started taking this 3 days ago for AF and find that it makes me really tired few hours after I take it. Bit foggy too and feel bit nauseous On 1/2 a pill a day Will see if the side effects go away with time. If not will need to reconsider with the dr if the benefits outweigh the side effects"

Outhaul July 31, 2015

"I had all the side effects listed after taking Lopressor for 3 days. they still persist after stopping meds 2 days ago. I was on very low dosage of 12.5 bid"

Terry Parker (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

"I have been taking Metoprolol for three years. I had one episode two years ago, went to ER and it converted with an IV of something. Was up to 170 when I got there. I started taking 25 milligrams of Metoprolol twice a day and a lose dose aspirin once a day. I had another episode last September. They gave me Fleccinide (spelling?) and it reversed on its own. The first time, I had very stressful day, drank huge amount of coffee, and didn't sleep well the night before. The second time, I mowed both the front and back yard and did five minutes on stationary bike. Other than that, the metoprolol has controlled it and I try to avoid stress, sleep well, and don't mow both yards at once. The only side effect I have is fatigue."

Qs (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2015

"I have been taking 190mg Betaloc for a few years and the main problem is the fatigue that I get . I have perm A/Fib from a failed Maze treatment while having my Aorta valve replaced 9 years ago , I asked my GP if I could lower the dose to 142.5mg daily . I have been doing this now for about 3 weeks but now I am having strong bouts of A/Fib so I have decided to go back on to 190mg again . What are your thoughts on this matter."

Smiley Bert (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2015

"I was diagnosed with AFIB in 2012 at the age of 43, long sad frustrating story cut short, the doctor said there was nothing he could do about it. He sent me home to suffer with it. A couple of weeks ago I made an appt. with the clinic and the most wonderful nurse practioner started me on Metoprolol 25 mg/2x daily and "I FEEL GREAT!" I couldn't believe how my heart calmed down, my anxiety was relieved, I SLEPT BETTER b/c it stopped the night time AFIB attacks which constantly woke me up in the middle of the night and i just feel much more comfortable in my own skin...I actually cleaned the house without any huffing, puffing or the usual AFIB attack. I agree that it makes me drowsy which is becoming less severe I LOVE IT! :)"

Sherrie L. March 2, 2015

"Just started this medicine and I am tired and slightly forgetful. I thought it was from the hospital stay and the stress of having atrial-fibrillation. Thanks to all of you for sharing that its this medicine."

WorkerBee2014 October 16, 2014

"When, I tried Warfarin, I bruised considerably. Switched to a light dose (25mg) of Metoprolol and have nearly complete relief. The few times a month I feel the heart flutter, I take a second 25mg. Problem completely solved without the risks of blood thinners. Also, I think blood thinners reduce some of the consequences of Atrial fibrillation without reducing the actual flutter."

D. Spear January 28, 2014

"I'm on my third day of metoprolol and feel very mellow. My heart feels quiet in the way you feel when you finally hit the pavement after a dirt road. I feel nervous having my natural rhythm manipulated but when it comes to the heart, I'll just do what they say. Had an attack of pericarditis 3 weeks ago and then Atrial fibrillation two days ago. I was told that this was normal after pericarditis. Metoprolol is recommended while heart recovers. "

woman58 April 26, 2013

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I was prescribed Metoprolol for Atrial Fibrillation and found that I was extremely tired. I began taking it at night, but developed terrible constipation. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so the constipation was not good for me."

Tiredness and Constipation (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2013

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My father was put on Metoporol in April....he is now very tired and is very forgetful....but not only that has hallucinations and does not stop talking in his sleep..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2012

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I take 50mg 2x a day for years and it works great for me."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 11, 2012

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate