User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Atrial Fibrillation

"PCP (primary care physician) put me on Metoprolol ER Succinate 50 mg after Atrial Flutter of 136 bpm. After on it for 16 weeks, I developed heart block (a side effect). Heart got screwed up and pulse went down to 40 bpm. Had to get a pacemaker. A totally risky drug."

Kevinaki (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2016

"I was prescribed hydrochlorothyazide to lower BP. Within 2 weeks I had tachycardia and went to the ER at the VA. After about 8 hours the tachycardia went away but the idiots at the ER didn't see fit to take me off hydrochlorothyazide. So, within 2 weeks I had another bout of tachycardia and went to the ER again. This time I was put on metropolol and still not taken off of hydrochlorothyazide. Instead of tachycardia I ended up within 2 weeks with arrhythmia that was so bad it felt as if my heart was going to explode through my chest. I kept having bouts of arrhythmia every 2 weeks with my heart exploding with every heartbeat. I used a food protocol changed everything. D-ribose does the same as metropolol with no side effects."

Eye of Horus (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

"I recently switched from metaprolol, 1/2 of 25 mg/ day to brand name Toprol xl & have found the negative side effects- fatigue, too low blood pressure, dizziness, nausea- to be much less. I still feel a little of that about 12 hours after I take it- I figure that is a slight " withdrawal" effect, it lasts about 30-45 min. & I don't have it every day. When I took the generic ( manufacturer, PAR) I felt on a roller coaster, up & down all day. The time release delivery feels to be much smoother with the brand name, toprol- I recommend it. All in all, it works well, keeps my heart in sinus rhythm, but it's a tough drug to have to take."

Claudia2 November 8, 2016

"After 8 hours of fast, irregular beating I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with afib, which reverted on its own after a few hours. The doctor prescribed metoprolol ER 25mg. I tried to give this drug a chance, but it did absolutely nothing to stop subsequent episodes. If anything they seemed to get worse. It felt like my heart was stopping altogether. I'm a fit 27 year old with low BP and resting heart rate. Because of this, I have to question the doctor's judgement in prescribing this medication. It brought my BP and heart rate down even further, severely affecting my quality of life. I was constantly lightheaded, foggy, woke up with headaches, etc. Bad decision on his part. Switched to flecainide and feel like myself again!"

BadHeartGuy November 2, 2016

"I have had constant afib for over 2 years though mostly tolerable. At times though I have spells that usually run less than a few minutes with a heart rate of around 190 plus and pain. My worst battle with this level lasted about 15 minutes. I take 50mg of Metoprolol 2 times a day on a regular basis but add another 50 if I have the biggies and that settles the heart rate down quickly. Luckily I have no side affects but would love to find something else that quickly slows the heart rate ... mainly to avoid the pain and spooky stuff that goes a;long with it. I've had 11 angioplasties and 10 stents since 1990 and am 70."

Dave DP October 8, 2016

"It stopped my PACs (Preatrial contractions ). I was on this med for 13 years. Over three years ago I started having increased muscle weakness, episodes of collapsing or falling without knowing why or even a warning that I was going to fall, extremely dry eyes (OTC eye drops were ineffective), severe muscle spasms, back pain, increased diarrhea, swelling in hands and feet, and pinpoint red spots on my skin. I looked up the side effects of this med and I had 24 of the adverse effects!! I had become so weak that I had to use 2 walking sticks, could hardly get in or out of bed, couldn't walk a 100 ft. I quit taking this med which I thoroughly believe was killing me. I have begun to feel much better regaining some of my muscle strength and have less back pain."

ballmarc (taken for 10 years or more) October 6, 2016

"I was put on metoprolol for SVT & IST after other medications made me worse, dropped my blood pressure too low etc. Although it never completely disappated the issues, I was going from everyday occurances to every 3-6months between each episode. No problems getting the heart rate up in exercise (still quite the opposite actually! I can reach 180bpm after 5mins) Unfortunately it didnt stop the progression to AF. After 6yrs of SVT & metoprolol I was further diagnosed with AF. Dosage was increased from 25mg to 50-75mg per day. Starting to work a little better now in preventing rapid AF however I still get slow AF. Dry mouth, cold extremities & occasional dizzy spells have been all too common however definitely a small price to pay. 28yo fem"

rileyamber (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

"Weight gain"

Nickyname September 13, 2016

"I've had my third pacer put in the last 18 years. Before the first one I joined the 200 bpm club. Terrible. After my first pacer I still felt very powerful heartbeats. So powerful they kept me awake at night. Doc put me on 50 mg metatropanol and I've felt like a human being ever since. Only complaint is short term memory. 70 year old male."

Frutluptwo2 August 28, 2016

"I take Toprol XL @ 50 MG for AF. It's been life-changing. Was admitted for irregular heartbeat in 2012. Took some other medications and they made me feel awful. This was the third medication we tried. I've been taking it every day for four years now and I couldn't be happier. Symptoms are basically gone. A lot of people here report feeling tired, but I don't feel that way at all. I take the pill at night. Maybe that side effect wears off as I sleep? However, I definitely have trouble getting my heart rate up during normal exercise. If you go for more than 30 minutes, though, your heart rate will get up to where it should be while running, cycling, etc. I'm a 44yo white male. HANG IN THERE! There are so many ways to treat issues."

Cordless Drill (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

"I started metaprolol 12.5 mg once a day 6 weeks ago after having an electrical cardioconversion for a rapid, irregular heartbeat. I take blood pressure and pulse 2times/ day and it is averaging 107/71, pulse 63- working well. It took me a good 4 weeks to adapt to the tough side effects though. I felt very tired to the point of falling asleep during the day, was worn out if I walked to far or even stood too long, felt lightheadedness, nauseated, was afraid to drive. I'm glad I stuck it out, the side effects finally abated. Hang in there, the bad side effects can go away. For the record I'm a 69 year old woman, 5`4" 128 lbs. I take the pill at night."

Claredelune June 3, 2016

"With the start of my diagnosis with afib 3 1/2 years ago, I was started on 12.5 mg of metoprolol. From the beginning, I seemed to have been made sicker, e.g. less energy and seemingly more afib. Metoprolol worked against my prostate meds. Had TURP. TURP gave me CHF. While in hospital, a very old fashioned heart doctor got me up to 250 mg/day. Lots of its side effects. Stopped it and went to ER. Went on Coreg. Gave me swelled legs. Back on low dose of metoprolol. Over time, up to 75 mg of metoprolol. Afib stopped mostly with ICD & 2 ablations. Last straw was numbness in feet and back shooting nerve pain. On carvedilol now and no feet numbness nor back shooting nerve pain. Best I've felt in 3 1/2 years. Only 12.5 mg bid."

RalphVa May 27, 2016

"I get severe headaches from this medicine"

Krissy4242 May 12, 2016

"Made me feel exhausted. Could not get heart rate over 100 when exercising . Gained weight. Dr. Switched medication to lisinopril Now feel reborn."

"I was switched from Cardevidiol after many years to metoprorol er. I have been on it for over a week and l have been experiencing severe anxiety attacks, tiredness, restlessness and hell. It really destroys my life and i am hoping dr will describe something better."

Tatjana A April 19, 2016

"Hard to know if it works,i've been on it for two years following surgery,aortic valve replacement,vsd repair,maze procedure..Two month ago I had an Afib episode. When my heart feel off,this medicine helps control the symptoms but overall with the combination of losartan and warfarin, I feel,tired,depressed,I'm sun sensitive,get unexplained rashes,have a low sex drive,diarrea...considering it didn't help relapsing al I want to do is stop using it."

Ezphilou April 18, 2016

"I was very happy with "Betaloc CR 190 " and then they put me on ATF Metoprolol CR 190 and it is crap because if I take 1 in the morning it only lasts about 10 to 13 hours and I end up with A/Fib at night . I never ever had this trouble with Betaloc CR190"

Smiley Bert (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2016

"My husband has congestive heart failure. Was admitted to hospital with fluid on hear & lungs 2 weeks ago. He had never experienced AFIB before. He has been on Atenolol for 13 years with b/p controlled. While in hospital his monitor started showing AFIB so they stopped atenolol and started Metoprelol. He has been weak for several years due to CHF. Now his is combative, not sleeping, talking in his sleep. But he remembers none of it. Is this part of the drug side affect? Or due to the fact the CHF is much worse and he is facing hard reality? Any suggestions or ideas will be helpful. Calling cardiologist tomorrow"

COWBOY818 February 8, 2016

"I am taking Metoprolol 50mg 3 times per day since the beginning of January and my heart rate is still very high137 bpm on average for a seventy one year old male previously active and in good health. When I climb stairs I am short of breath feel weaker than normal. Previous taking Digoxin 62.5mg x3/day. This controlled/capped my HR at 115bpm without side effects. So my HR has increased by comparison since starting Metoprolol. I would welcome all your comment."

kebbler January 31, 2016

"I've been on Metoprolol for 6 weeks after an AF episode of 15 hrs 2 days after a total knee replacement. I was on opioids for pain and never developed constipation. Came off the opioids and find I have diarrhoea which seems to be the medication. I also developed vertigo 10 days ago. It's reduced in severity, but is still hanging around. Again seems likely to be the medication. Off all things meant to help me sleep, Metoprolol has made for some difficult sleepless nights, not something I've ever had before. At the same time it's controlling my heart rate and BP, and so far no more AF. My first week home from rehab I also suffered the anxious feeling, which was an unpleasant, crawly feeling in my chest. It seems to work though."

Beati3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

"4 years ago i had my first Afib 200 heart beat. they keeped me over night with IV in me and slowed the heart down to about 120 sometime over night it reset its self. I take Metoprolol twice a day. Morning and Night. and the Doc said if needed take 1 more. when I first was taken Metoprolol I got tired. and it took a few weeks to get over that feeling. But now I don't get tired. My heart beat is about 65. I do still get Afib but not as bad as i did. I am 47"

DJZMAN (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2015

"I have taken Toprol XL for years for atrial fib and tachycardia. I get very anxious at times without this and my blood pressure and heart rate will race with the chance it could convert to AF. Lately however, my heart rate has fallen to low 40's taking only 10 mg and my doctor has taken me off it completely. I feel very shaky now. My hands visibly tremble and I notice I get more of an adrenaline rush when under pressure or fear. I need something to replace this because I don't want to experience AF again and I need something to calm me down. Any suggestions would be appreciated."

Mike.s0305 September 30, 2015

"It works but!. It has given me bad tinnitus (ringing in ears) that so far has been permanent and is driving me insane......"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2015

"Started taking this 3 days ago for AF and find that it makes me really tired few hours after I take it. Bit foggy too and feel bit nauseous On 1/2 a pill a day Will see if the side effects go away with time. If not will need to reconsider with the dr if the benefits outweigh the side effects"

Outhaul July 31, 2015

"I had all the side effects listed after taking Lopressor for 3 days. they still persist after stopping meds 2 days ago. I was on very low dosage of 12.5 bid"

Terry Parker (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015