User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Supraventricular Tachycardia

"I have SVT and high blood pressure. After 10 years the dr. switched me to Metoprolol from Atenolol. The medication works great with one caveat - you MUST check which brand you're getting. The dr. changed my dosage, which resulted in different dosage pills. Suddenly my blood pressure jumped and my heart was beating erratically, chest pains (which I've never had), and I was constantly worn out. I checked the brands of the former medications and the new and found they were different. I switched back to the old meds at the new dosage for a couple of days and within 1 day my blood pressure dropped 20 points and I felt back to normal. Now the pharmacy special orders the Mylan brand, as the Aurobindo doesn't work at all."

Crosswind (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bad medication. This medication should be banned based on my personal experience with it. Caused heart murmur and severe tachycardia, heart thumping, heart fluttering as well as raising my blood pressure. Causes muscle weakness, muscle tightness, throbbing pains throughout body and in joints and muscles. Caused labored and irregular breathing, hand and feet numbness and tingling as well as numbness throughout body. This medication will put you to sleep as well. I noticed this medication began to wear off after approximately 4-5 hours. This medication is addictive as well and has a sedating effect too. Dangerous medication; don't use."

MBocca (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Changed from atenolol 50mg to metropolol er succinate 25 mg not by choice. Transition very smooth. Was taking atenolol for SVTs. I added magnesium to my daily dose after some research on SVTs. Stomach bloating from atenolol reduced and my sleep improved. I'm a mid distance runner with HR in the upper 50s. Feeling very good."

Nestin (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed metoprolol for tachycardia. I took it for about 6 weeks. I did feel better and not as fatigued, but suddenly I had severe depression. I felt like everything in my life was out of control even though mentally I knew it wasn't. I was sobbing hysterically all day and felt like I was losing my mind! I figured out the only change I'd made was taking metoprolol so I weaned myself off of it and the depression cleared right up. My doctor said he has a lot of patients on this medication and even though depression is a side effect none of them have had this issue. So I'm guessing it's not a common side effect but beware if you're just starting this."

Tlp3731 August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 35 years of age and have had open heart surgery. Now get supra ventricular attacks. Not as often as before. The medicine worked great for me. It depends on the person... all I know is it worked."

Kka (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Prescribed 50mg day for post AFib/flutter ablation rate control while healing for a month or so. I've taken the regular non ER version before for similar reasons after coming out of AFib/flutter but usually had to stop very soon due to dropping rate and BP below the low end of the normal ranges. So far the ER tabs seem to be not as aggressive on that, but I'm not sure if I'll make the full recovery time with them. I haven't had any of the "loopiness" or fog that I've had with the non ER version which were 25's cut in half 2x day."

flyinion (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "My experience is that while Metoprolol Succinate ER controls my Sinus Tachycardia, I have difficulty with glucose control, high triglycerides, swelling in my ankles, severe muscle cramps at times, and shortness of breath. Before taking Metoprolol my memory was great, now not so much."

Rose_budd (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I do not like this medicine I have gained a lot of weight, runny nose, tired all the time and very bad and crazy dreams."

Wykesha March 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Reading the mixed reviews here, the first thing that jumped out was people have problems swallowing. This has happened to me quite a bit recently, using metroprolol succ ER 25 mg daily, for about 2 years now. I did have great success in reducing my pulse (130 resting pulse for 20 years, adjust to 90 now). Overall I was happy with it, but now somewhat concerned with long term use."

edson boston March 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have rapid heartbeat and afib."

Lulu bug February 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started 25 mgs of this drug on 1/16/2017 around lunch time and by dinner I was having esphogael spasms that I mistook for heart issues and my swallow reflex got progressively worse and by Friday of that week was choking on chicken broth. I've never had a problem eating or swallowing in my life. The cardiologist I was seeing ignored me and said that's not a side effect. After two ERr trips w what felt like my throat closing was told to half the pill and wean off, because the drug was causing my issues. I took it for 3 weeks and have been off now now for 10 days but still can't eat. had an endoscopy and they found there is little to no pressure in esophagus & attribute this to the drug. Terrified I'm permanently damaged."

HungryInDallas (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"maximal given dose to me was 200mg / day (4x50mg) No answer, since bringing in Propafenon after starting propafenon my dose metoprolol is reduced to 100 mg / day. which has been a success, one problem , when taking metoprolol I cant stop eating :D after stopping metoprolol (switched to bisoprolol) have lost 13 kg 18 male here"

DzoNI (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I started toprol back in spring of 2004. I was switched from generic metoprolol, I was on that for borderline hbp. After 4 years on that I developed racing and very irregular heart beats the toprolxl did nothing. they got even worse. My doc took me off saying it was side effects of both drugs. I immediately improved. I still have them but not as bad. No cardiologist has told me what was wrong. I have a really bad back. In 2011 I got an epidural at T4-5 and that completely cured my rapid and irregular heartbeat for 3 years. There are 8 nerves besides the vagas nerve that go to the heart, they are part of the autonomic nervous system. They all come off the spine at C4-5 to T4-5 I have severe stenosis at all those levels."

riparian January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "My doctor prescribed me Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg and advised me to take half first few days. When I did, I began to have a rush down my body and severe tremors began. My heart rate jumped to 138, it was pounding. I tried laying down, still. I even had chest pain. I usually get low blood pressure but I only felt very tired, not dizzy or fainty. I called my doctor, and he asked me to go to the ER to make sure everything is okay. I did. They did XRAY, blood work, gave me IV to flush it out. Everything was normal. My HR kept jumping from 67 to 105 suddenly. I was told to stop taking it. I am bummed out because I was looking forward to this helping me. After everything, my HR has was 54 resting and 72 active. It did afterwards!"

Delmarie020 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "My cardiologist prescribed one half Watson metaprolol succinate 25 to normalize heart rate in Dec. and this is new form for me and is much better product than Mylan metaprolol tartrate I was on before, it caused breathing and chest discomfort and I quit taking it. I don't like taking a beta blocker but Watson product I feel is much better and it can help me control heart rate."

Anonymous June 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "this medication almost took my life. during the 6 years I was on it my cardiologist kept raising the dose. I had difficulty standing on my feet, developed severe headaches, slurred speech and dark veiled vision. over time my fingers turned dark purple like grape juice. I reached the point where I could not sit up one morning without help. my daughter discovered my back was dark purple as well. the emergency room doctor took me off immediately stating a severe reaction."

tina jones May 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"SVT Tachycardia 30 yrs, episode 2/2016 caused me to go to ER with Adenosine. Just had an SVT Ablasion 5/11 and was told to continue Metoprolol 25mg 1-bid to continue managing my Hypertension however my pulse is now low and it not above 55 advised to not take. Today BP 151/86 HR 60 so took pill and now a few hrs later feel crappy, retook 142/83 HR 51. Thinking they need to refigure another med to manage the HTN that does not drop my pulse so low..."

Kat Track (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My tachycardia started in my middle 30s, and though they were rare, became more severe as i entered my middle 40's and had to ER visits requiring the injection that stops the heart-no fun and scary. After this I went to a cardiologist who gave me 50 mg Metoprolol to take as needed. I am happy that i don't have to take it daily because it does make me sluggish on the very rare times that I do-I am pleased to have a solution when these events happen and my fears of dying suddenly from a heart episode have been drastically reduced."

Robsey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this medication for trigiminis & couplets that were picked up after a 24 hr holter monitor. I have had so many side effects eg; insomnia / migraines / sexual dyfunction / sweating and possibly more. It did however stop my heart going crazy, but can't deal with side effects doctor advised I can go off them."

Sunshinesally (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I am a 70 yr old RN. I started having episodes of near-fainting around 16 yr.old (actually fainted twice). I would go to the nurse & ask to lay down-which helped, but she thought I was faking. Next episode, 25 yr old - saw cardiologist, negative EKG, no treatment. Next 2 episodes, 30 yr old, more severe, ER - negative tests. Next 5 episodes, 40-50 yr old increasing severity, ER. During the last ER visit, I heard about a new type of Doc, an electrocardiophysiologist. I wore a monitor for 6 weeks before it finally "caught" the SVT. I started on Toprol 50 mg per day. But then, I had an episode of severe low BP (80/40) - back to the ER. My new Doc said to split dose, take 25 mg AM & PM. No episodes past 20 years. I'm a happy camper !"

DianeV1945 (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking 50mg and it worked well for about 6 months. Then my flutters started again from my SVT and rapid heart rate. I was switched to 100mg once a day. This med caused me to be quite tired/fatigued. In the beginning I was also dizzy but that eventually went away almost completely. The sleepiness has not gone away but it's manageable. The good it does for my heart outweighs the side effects for me."

SVT Mommy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Took it for about a month and a half after being diagnosed with SVT. No episodes but had 2-3 episodes of fuzziness/confusion while trying to work. Dr switched me to Diltiazem."

Dawn314 November 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I wanted to add on a couple things to my previous review. Everyone warned me about how tired I was going to be since this medication would literally be slowing my heart down but I've never experienced that. I don't sleep much and have insomnia so that could be why. I also have experienced crazy dreams and I sleep walk from time to time. I've always had dreams and talked in my sleep but I think the medication makes it a little worse especially if you're taking it closer to bed time. I do get a little light headed if I stand up quick and bend down but it's not bad. The benefit I get from this medication outweighs any of these insignificant side effects. I would recommend to push through any side effects and let the medication adapt to you!"

JR44933 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I'm a 22 year old Female. (115/5'1) Long story short, I found out I had Tachycardia and experienced palpitations as well. I had extreme anxiety because of it which made it worse. I got prescribed Metoprolol Tartrate twice a day at first and it was a nightmare. It actually had like a reverse reaction on me and gave me constant flutters for a whole day. The doctor told me to take Magnesium twice a day with it and it would help and it definitely did. I eventually switched to the extended release, once a day, along with Magnesium and I couldn't be happier. I feel a lot more relaxed and normal. Had few palps still with Tartrate but not with Succinate (yet). I wanted to wait to write a review because I know I relied on reviews. Hope this helps!"

J4493 November 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 20 year old female (yes, 20) and I am taking it for SVT. I take 75 mg twice daily, every 12 hours. Right after I take it, my heart rate increases and I get major anxiety. At night it's when it's worse. During the day, I'm perfectly fine. I also have chest pains and SOB, sometimes back pain. I also have heavy legs. Headaches are a definite. I am not wearing the Event Mintor to track my heart rate. It can get high, which can be scary because you don't know what could happen next. Some sleepless night and early morning wakes with anxiety. It sucks because when I have these panic attacks, I can tell when it's about to start so I brace myself. But I tell myself that Jesus is going to heal my body every day."

StephanieGully October 1, 2015