User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 42 medications used in the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Supraventricular Tachycardia

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I do not like this medicine I have gained a lot of weight, runny nose, tired all the time and very bad and crazy dreams."

Wykesha March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Reading the mixed reviews here, the first thing that jumped out was people have problems swallowing. This has happened to me quite a bit recently, using metroprolol succ ER 25 mg daily, for about 2 years now. I did have great success in reducing my pulse (130 resting pulse for 20 years, adjust to 90 now). Overall I was happy with it, but now somewhat concerned with long term use."

edson boston March 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have rapid heartbeat and afib."

Lulu bug February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started 25 mgs of this drug on 1/16/2017 around lunch time and by dinner I was having esphogael spasms that I mistook for heart issues and my swallow reflex got progressively worse and by Friday of that week was choking on chicken broth. I've never had a problem eating or swallowing in my life. The cardiologist I was seeing ignored me and said that's not a side effect. After two ERr trips w what felt like my throat closing was told to half the pill and wean off, because the drug was causing my issues. I took it for 3 weeks and have been off now now for 10 days but still can't eat. had an endoscopy and they found there is little to no pressure in esophagus & attribute this to the drug. Terrified I'm permanently damaged."

HungryInDallas (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"maximal given dose to me was 200mg / day (4x50mg) No answer, since bringing in Propafenon after starting propafenon my dose metoprolol is reduced to 100 mg / day. which has been a success, one problem , when taking metoprolol I cant stop eating :D after stopping metoprolol (switched to bisoprolol) have lost 13 kg 18 male here"

DzoNI (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I started toprol back in spring of 2004. I was switched from generic metoprolol, I was on that for borderline hbp. After 4 years on that I developed racing and very irregular heart beats the toprolxl did nothing. they got even worse. My doc took me off saying it was side effects of both drugs. I immediately improved. I still have them but not as bad. No cardiologist has told me what was wrong. I have a really bad back. In 2011 I got an epidural at T4-5 and that completely cured my rapid and irregular heartbeat for 3 years. There are 8 nerves besides the vagas nerve that go to the heart, they are part of the autonomic nervous system. They all come off the spine at C4-5 to T4-5 I have severe stenosis at all those levels."

riparian January 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "My doctor prescribed me Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg and advised me to take half first few days. When I did, I began to have a rush down my body and severe tremors began. My heart rate jumped to 138, it was pounding. I tried laying down, still. I even had chest pain. I usually get low blood pressure but I only felt very tired, not dizzy or fainty. I called my doctor, and he asked me to go to the ER to make sure everything is okay. I did. They did XRAY, blood work, gave me IV to flush it out. Everything was normal. My HR kept jumping from 67 to 105 suddenly. I was told to stop taking it. I am bummed out because I was looking forward to this helping me. After everything, my HR has was 54 resting and 72 active. It did afterwards!"

Delmarie020 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "My cardiologist prescribed one half Watson metaprolol succinate 25 to normalize heart rate in Dec. and this is new form for me and is much better product than Mylan metaprolol tartrate I was on before, it caused breathing and chest discomfort and I quit taking it. I don't like taking a beta blocker but Watson product I feel is much better and it can help me control heart rate."

Anonymous June 19, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "this medication almost took my life. during the 6 years I was on it my cardiologist kept raising the dose. I had difficulty standing on my feet, developed severe headaches, slurred speech and dark veiled vision. over time my fingers turned dark purple like grape juice. I reached the point where I could not sit up one morning without help. my daughter discovered my back was dark purple as well. the emergency room doctor took me off immediately stating a severe reaction."

tina jones May 14, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"SVT Tachycardia 30 yrs, episode 2/2016 caused me to go to ER with Adenosine. Just had an SVT Ablasion 5/11 and was told to continue Metoprolol 25mg 1-bid to continue managing my Hypertension however my pulse is now low and it not above 55 advised to not take. Today BP 151/86 HR 60 so took pill and now a few hrs later feel crappy, retook 142/83 HR 51. Thinking they need to refigure another med to manage the HTN that does not drop my pulse so low..."

Kat Track (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My tachycardia started in my middle 30s, and though they were rare, became more severe as i entered my middle 40's and had to ER visits requiring the injection that stops the heart-no fun and scary. After this I went to a cardiologist who gave me 50 mg Metoprolol to take as needed. I am happy that i don't have to take it daily because it does make me sluggish on the very rare times that I do-I am pleased to have a solution when these events happen and my fears of dying suddenly from a heart episode have been drastically reduced."

Robsey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on this medication for trigiminis & couplets that were picked up after a 24 hr holter monitor. I have had so many side effects eg; insomnia / migraines / sexual dyfunction / sweating and possibly more. It did however stop my heart going crazy, but can't deal with side effects doctor advised I can go off them."

Sunshinesally (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I am a 70 yr old RN. I started having episodes of near-fainting around 16 yr.old (actually fainted twice). I would go to the nurse & ask to lay down-which helped, but she thought I was faking. Next episode, 25 yr old - saw cardiologist, negative EKG, no treatment. Next 2 episodes, 30 yr old, more severe, ER - negative tests. Next 5 episodes, 40-50 yr old increasing severity, ER. During the last ER visit, I heard about a new type of Doc, an electrocardiophysiologist. I wore a monitor for 6 weeks before it finally "caught" the SVT. I started on Toprol 50 mg per day. But then, I had an episode of severe low BP (80/40) - back to the ER. My new Doc said to split dose, take 25 mg AM & PM. No episodes past 20 years. I'm a happy camper !"

DianeV1945 (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking 50mg and it worked well for about 6 months. Then my flutters started again from my SVT and rapid heart rate. I was switched to 100mg once a day. This med caused me to be quite tired/fatigued. In the beginning I was also dizzy but that eventually went away almost completely. The sleepiness has not gone away but it's manageable. The good it does for my heart outweighs the side effects for me."

SVT Mommy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "Took it for about a month and a half after being diagnosed with SVT. No episodes but had 2-3 episodes of fuzziness/confusion while trying to work. Dr switched me to Diltiazem."

Dawn314 November 22, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I wanted to add on a couple things to my previous review. Everyone warned me about how tired I was going to be since this medication would literally be slowing my heart down but I've never experienced that. I don't sleep much and have insomnia so that could be why. I also have experienced crazy dreams and I sleep walk from time to time. I've always had dreams and talked in my sleep but I think the medication makes it a little worse especially if you're taking it closer to bed time. I do get a little light headed if I stand up quick and bend down but it's not bad. The benefit I get from this medication outweighs any of these insignificant side effects. I would recommend to push through any side effects and let the medication adapt to you!"

JR44933 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 17, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I'm a 22 year old Female. (115/5'1) Long story short, I found out I had Tachycardia and experienced palpitations as well. I had extreme anxiety because of it which made it worse. I got prescribed Metoprolol Tartrate twice a day at first and it was a nightmare. It actually had like a reverse reaction on me and gave me constant flutters for a whole day. The doctor told me to take Magnesium twice a day with it and it would help and it definitely did. I eventually switched to the extended release, once a day, along with Magnesium and I couldn't be happier. I feel a lot more relaxed and normal. Had few palps still with Tartrate but not with Succinate (yet). I wanted to wait to write a review because I know I relied on reviews. Hope this helps!"

J4493 November 13, 2015

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a 20 year old female (yes, 20) and I am taking it for SVT. I take 75 mg twice daily, every 12 hours. Right after I take it, my heart rate increases and I get major anxiety. At night it's when it's worse. During the day, I'm perfectly fine. I also have chest pains and SOB, sometimes back pain. I also have heavy legs. Headaches are a definite. I am not wearing the Event Mintor to track my heart rate. It can get high, which can be scary because you don't know what could happen next. Some sleepless night and early morning wakes with anxiety. It sucks because when I have these panic attacks, I can tell when it's about to start so I brace myself. But I tell myself that Jesus is going to heal my body every day."

StephanieGully October 1, 2015

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): "I've been on Toprol XL for 15 years ..started on 50 mg once per day then dropped to 25 mg ..experienced symptoms again then was changed to bystolic but only for a short time ..the doc said toprol was more for my problem so changed back and now on toprol xl 50 mg per day again ..I tried the generic 4 times and always have to take the brand .The genetic didn't work for me after the fourth day of trying it...but now I have severe dizziness floating and faint feeling spells that are worser with my period and noticed my blood pressure getting very low when resting 87/54 or 85/58...so I'm debating on going back to 25 mg per day ..anyone had this experience with Toprol xl?"

mbrannen590gmail.com September 23, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with SVT following complications from a vaginal hysterectomy at age 58 (pulmonary embolism, pelvic hematoma and pneumonia). ER diagnosed it as A-fib; cardiologist later said SVT following 48 hr. Holter monitor and echocardiogram. Started me on 25 mg once a day which I take at night. Have been taking about a month and it is working well. Heart racing if I have it is not noticeable; pounding heart occasionally but tolerable and minor compared to what it was previously. Recommended going up to 50 mg but I am going to keep trying at this dose longer. No noticeable side effects, no weight gain or sleepiness."

Laura G. in Mi February 5, 2015

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): "I was having heart palpitations everyday to the point where it was really scary for me. Sometimes flutters, other times skipped beats and still others I can't explain. Had holter monitor and stress test all came back fine, cardiologist told me nothing to worry about. Gave me this med 25 mg a day 1/2 tab am and 1/2 pm. First week, tightness in my chest felt hard it was hard to breath and it made me extremely sleepy and spacy. Almost stopped taking med but I continued into my 2nd week after my Dr told me to continue side effects would subside. I am so glad I took his advice, it's been 2 months and my palitations have subsided I get a few here and there but not as intense. This was a miracle drug for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started having Tachycardia a few months ago and was put on this medicine...so far so good. Definitely has slowed down the heart rate, and at the end of its extended release period, I feel like I need to take another one....my older sister also takes it for heart flutters and her Cardiologist said that they should put it in the water supply...it's good for everyone's heart."

ddranch January 19, 2015

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was started on this medicine after a trip to the ER. I have been dealing with Supraventricular Tachycardia my whole life, and at 49 it finally came to this point. Since starting the metoprolol, I have had heart flutters every day, all throughout the day, as well as some chest tightness, which I previously have not had. It also caused sun sensitivity and increased/extreme sweating. Although I have not had another serious attack, the side effects way outweigh any benefit for me. I decided to stop taking the metoprolol, and the heart flutter has greatly decreased, as well as the sweating. Next step for me is an ablation."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2014

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started having really bad tachycardia episodes and my primary doctor tried to convince me it was anxiety. After lots of tests and wearing a heart monitor for a month my cardiologist said I had Supraventricular Tachycardia and I was put on metoprolol 12.5mg twice a day. It's great! I haven't felt this calm and comfortable in years! Doctors really need to stop assuming that anxiety is the diagnosis of everyone's problems. There's a bit of drowsiness and fatigue in the beginning but that goes away as your body gets used to it. I am very happy with this medication."

Happy23554 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"EFFECTIVE. VERY CALMING EFFECT, 4 MONTHS NO SIDE EFFECTS OTHER THAN VERY TIRED ON 50mg DAILY IN DIVIDED DOSE."

HEINE June 9, 2014