User Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Supraventricular Tachycardia

Also known as: Metoprolol Tartrate, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Metoprolol

nygrl · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 5, 2020

“My heart rate was reaching 150 bpm just resting. That was on Metoprolol 25 mg twice day doc increased dosage to 50 mg twice day and now my heart rate is staying round 75-78 bpm resting. It works well. I love it. I've been on it for years and it has always controlled my blood pressure.”

Princesspp · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2020

“This drug has saved my life. I had 3-4 episodes of SVT all which requires conversion with adenosine in the ER. I started this medication and did not have any episodes for over 3 years. My allergist asked me to change to something else as metoprolol blocks the effects of any epi-pen. I started Diltiazem and within a month I had another SVT episode that I had to go to the ER for. I am going back on metoprolol. It has worked for me!”

Katmahdu · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “I have had a few episodes of SVT! I went to the ED once for an episode that lasted about 2 hours. My pulse was 190. I was trying the syringe (blowing into it), which didn’t work. They then gave me the drug which resolved it Since then I have had three episodes; I wanted to try other treatments so I got on my inversion table and in less than 30 seconds it was resolved. I have shared this with my MD.”

Gale · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): “This medication Toprolo-XL actually put me into cardiac arrest, lucky for me I was found quickly and revived, they are still trying different meds to lower my high heart rate.”

Frustrated May 25, 2020

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Cardiologist prescribed 25 mg MetoproloI/daily to correct 14 extra heart beats/min. (24 hrs. on halter monitor). My thyroid was elevated (Hashimoto 19 yrs.) In 4 months thyroid levels were normal w/ 75mcg Synthroid/daily. Extra heart beats continued so given Metropolol. After 2 years, got a few itchy hives, 2 1/2 years severe hives/rashes/welts. (Take Allegra & Flonase for allergies). I awake with hives, they subside by bed, new ones come different places next day. Lips/eyes have swollen 4 x's. Thyroid & blood tests normal. Seen allergist, dermatologist, PCP, too. I'm female, age 69, good health with chronic idiopathic urticaria (long-lasting hives, unknown cause). Visit cardio. every 6 months, last 3 visits, EKG normal. He refused to wean me off Metropolol. Blogs indicate some get hives from it. Anyone have this issue?”

Mommak May 6, 2020

“I’ve had an extremely stressful year(s) - like bad 2 college kids had very serious health problems while at college out of state at the same time, in-laws had major health crisis and ended up in hospital for 3 months I was running on pure adrenaline 24/7 I quit sleeping, stressed, my HR wouldn’t drop below 130 - it wasn’t uncommon for me to be in 140, 150’s day and night. All this happened right in the middle of damn menopause Dr sent me to cardiologist - diagnosis - extreme stress/anxiety tachycardia - I take 1/2 dose 12.5 am and 12.5pm (25mg) I feel like I can breath again. No side effects - I’m 51 and it keeps me from running on high adrenaline mode/panic mode Doesn’t change the feelings/but it helps lessen the body response to it. When the phone would ring my HR would go to 165 cause I was afraid of more bad news. My college girls had 2 major Heath crisis within weeks of each other, both out of state - it was Horrible -”

Byrd · Taken for 10 years or more April 11, 2020

“I’ve been taking metoprolol for approximately 10 years for SVT. In my 20’s I had a resting heart rate in the 150 range. For the first six years I had great results with 25 mg at night but gradually I had breakthrough tachycardia so my cardiologist added 25mg in the morning and my heart rate is again in the normal range with my resting heart rate being around 68. This medication made such a difference in my life.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “This med is horrible. Only took 2 doses and still having severe problems with palpitations and racing heart 2.5 months later. Had episodes of extreme palpitations, chest pain, almost passing out. Can hardly do my everyday chores. Cannot exert myself. Hypersensitivity. Hope my heart returns back to normal. I hope I didn't ruin it forever.”

dani cccccc February 14, 2020

“I am 53, and I've felt palpitations since my 20's. however, they weren't bad at all nor frequent. but last year, they suddenly became very bad, more frequent, more severe, I'd have them all day long, horrendous. So I was put on beta blockers. First propranolol, which worked really well, but made me feel exhausted. I was switched to metoprolol whilst in hospital On the metoprolol, you feel nauseous sometimes, but if you take cyclizine, it helps. But metoprolol doesn't make me feel as tired as the propranolol, you feel more normal on metoprolol. I haven't really noticed any other side effect symptoms, but one thing I also liked about propranolol is that it seemed to really help with anxiety symptoms as I wasn't having them as much. On the metoprolol, because it works differently it does not help with anxiety, and the frustrating thing is that even on beta blockers, I still get palpitations, just not as frequent as before taking them.”

Melski January 22, 2020

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “I'm a 58 year old female, active, healthy. 5-2, 108 lbs. saw my family doctor, reported symptoms. Prescribed Metoprolol Succinate ER 25 mg. Break tablet in half, take for the first 6 days, then full tablet. The only symptoms I noticed is coughing / insomnia. Everyone reacts differently with medicines, As with all drugs, double sword, read online taking Metoprolol 3 years, damage brain-kidney-heart, plan on taking in under 3 years seek other alternatives or options.”

Mikey · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 17, 2020

“(To treat Tachycardia the medicine does a great job at lower heart rate to Normal levels. I would rate it a 10.) To rate the medicine due to the side effects causes lack of sex drive and as it makes anxiety, depression and causes you to feel tired like there's no tomorrow. Even if you sleep 18 hrs out of the day it still doesn't feel like enough I would rate it a 1 at best) I have been on this medication for going on 7 yrs. I was started out on a low dose and now I'm up to 100mg 2x a day. Now the problem with this medication is it makes you want to sleep constantly and if you have issues like anxiety or depression it makes it worse with high dosages.”

Mataya · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

“I’m 24 years old, I’ve never had any heart issues besides some PVC’s every now and then. About two months ago, my palpitations became more consistent my heart would beat of my chest uncontrollably out of nowhere I constantly felt like I was going to faint. I went to the ER a few days ago because I was having another episode and couldn’t take it anymore. They were able to catch it all and the cardiologist decided to put me on a low dose of metoprolol. So far it hasn’t been too bad, it has especially given me relief with the tachycardia I still feel the PVC’s but they are not as constant and severe. Only concerns I have are I feel very short of breath at times, and I literally can’t sleep at night anymore. I’m hoping it gets better.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2020

“I’ve been on Metoprolol for about a month now and I was admitted to hospital for heart palpations and waiting surgery now for SVT. Metoprolol causes severe side effects of headaches, lightheadedness and dizziness. The medicine does a great job in lowering heart rate but side effects are unreal. Can’t wait to have the surgery and be done with this medicine!! I can’t even leave my house because I’m afraid I’ll pass out while driving.”

Aden · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 10, 2019

“I have taken metoprolol 50 mg daily for about 6 years. I have not experienced any recurrences of very unpleasant prolonged bouts of tachycardia. The only negative side effect has been a slight decrease in energy and some weight increase, probably due to the lower activity. This seems to be an effective medication for me.”

RuinedMe December 5, 2019

“Do not use this drug if you have a sensitivity to medications or think you may have low dopamine levels, or a prior addiction in the past to any substance or are currently withdrawaling or have protracted withdrawal from SSRIs, or have a weakened central nervous system. It contributed to giving me stroke like symptoms which were then preceded by Parkinson's disease symptoms. Tardive dyskinesia. Dystonia. I can no longer function, it has made my blood sugar uncontrollable and completely ruined my GI. It never helped with my heart palpitations but cardiologist said to stay on it and it would get better. But it just kept getting worse. Worsened heart disease and breathing. Withdrawing from this medication is dangerous, even at low doses... and there is no way to go below 12.5mg for a easier taper on the Succinate ER.”

Carrie · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2019

“This medication is the worst medication I have ever taken in my life. I never had nightmares I never had trouble sleeping, granted I had depression but never nothing like nightmares and anything like that. This stuff is horrible I literally stopped taking it once I read the the side effects. This is one nasty Little pill. They're just going to have to find something else to put me on that doesn't cause that's because I cannot keep doing this. I never had any problems, no nightmares or anything like that until I started taking the pill and I constantly feel like I'm suffocating to death no ain't happening beware people beware.”

Dali · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2019

“I was prescribed this drug in ER for SVT and it was worst experience ever. Before taking this drug I would had episode of heart race but I would be normal. After taking this for a weak I felt weak, dizzy, developed chest pain. Then one day I had such bad chest pain that I end up in ER. Same doctor who prescribed this at first ER visit told me to double the dose even after I tried to explain side effects. I doubled dose for one day but this was worst experience in my life. I was throwing up, my urine was red, I was so dizzy and disoriented that I needed help to go to bathroom but worst of all was tremors and feeling like my blood was itching and tingling. My heart rate dropped to 52 and blood pressure to 90/55. I stopped thanking this drug next day but still suffering from tremors, anxiety and panic attacks. This may work for some but it destroyed me.”

Leelee August 15, 2019

“I take metoprolol in morning and night for SVT and still no relief what so ever! Docs are working now to do something else for me”

Dani · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 18, 2019

“I have been on Metoprolol 100mg taken twice daily, along with several other medications for my heart. I have Afib, HBP, CVD, DVT, PE and had quad bypass 2015 with 2 grafts that failed. I have 6 stents in my RCA. On the metoprolol I have several side effects severe dry mouth, hair loss, agitation, anxiety, extreme tiredness, muscular cramps and depression mixed with PTSD, memory loss. I begged my Cardio to get me off this medication and he says no. I do work in medicine. This is extremely difficult to function, and I've had to quit working due to not feeling well. If I knew how this drug affected my life, I would have never allowed a doctor to prescribe it to me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2019

“I've been on 100 mg Metoprolol per day since 2015 due to episodes of A-Fib and works great, no noticeable adverse side effects and my heart rate is well controlled.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2019

“I have been recently diagnosed with SVT. I had frequent episode of svt where my heart rate went up to 290bpm for about 3 to 7 minutes. I am taking metoprolol for 1 month now. In the beginning I felt completely normal unlike having all the symptoms everyday like before taking the medicine. Lately I am feeling heaviness in my chest, and palpitation for few seconds every now and then and also my quality of life has changed a lot. I feel very tired and not able to concentrate in any type of task much. The symptoms are coming back. Visiting doctor again soon.”

jjones · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2019

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “I have only been on Metroprolol Succinate ER for SVT for a few months. I started on 25mg 2x/day which was upped to 50mg 2x/day. The medication keeps my blood pressure in great range (was borderline high before). So far, I haven't had re-occurrence of SVT. I did have increased depression, but my thyroid levels were low as well. With regular exercise, the depression seems to have subsided. I gave up all caffeine which has helped with sleep and anxiety.”

Seminole · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 31, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Oh man where do I begin. I am female 52 years and I take 75 mg Metoprolol a day, been on them for 5 years. It does a very good job keeping my heartbeat to 50s and 60s when resting but it goes up to high when I get up in the morning take a shower. I was 165 pounds when I started taking the pills and now I am 216 pounds. It has terrible side effects Like, very fatigued Can’t think clearly Short of breath My libido has disappeared completely Chest tightness Constipation Blurry vision I saw my cardiologist three weeks ago and he is talking about doing a maze procedure And I am at a point where I do anything to get off of the Metoprolol.”

EJF · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2018

“Terrible and outright dangerous. This is a generic that is made by different pharma companies using whatever fillers and coating they get at the lowest possible price from goodness knows where; quality varies from one to the other, and from refill to refill; caused the opposite effects - NOT lowering BP - rather increasing it sky high! My pharmacist told me that many patients complain about it and gave me the brand (Toprol) to try - very different results!! Only complaint now is tiredness, bit wobbly, and some pressure and shortness of breath after taking it; I take 25 mg. And break it in half, and take each half 6-7 hours apart, which was my pharmacists recommendation, and it’s better. Stay away from the generic, consult your pharmacist, and be well!”

Oiler · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2018

“After about one week, the side effects including back ache were severe. It took about three weeks to determine it was the Drug. The complications ceased immediately upon being taken off the drug. Do not quit without dr orders”

Learn more about Supraventricular Tachycardia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)