User Reviews for Atenolol to treat Migraine Prevention

Also known as: Tenormin

Atenolol has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 64% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Atenolol Rating Summary

7.9/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Atenolol

JT · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2020

“Atenolol was my second try at a preventative (first was another beta blocker- propranolol). I came off propranolol due to insomnia. Atenolol unfortunately also caused insomnia for me. I would have frequent dizzy spells, and fatigue, but could not sleep at night. On to the next!”

lynninny · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

“This gave me horrible headaches. Some of the worst migraines I have ever had.”

feno_uk · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 15, 2019

“I have had migraines since I was a child, I am now 37. I have gone from having 1 migraine a week to about 1 a year thanks to Atenolol. I have had no side affects and for me the change in my lifestyle has been incredible. Migraines no longer rule my work life which was being affected by my migraines due to taking Atenolol 100mg a day.”

Aurora1 February 20, 2013

Tenormin (atenolol): “Twenty years ago (in my mid thirties) I began to suffer from excruciating headaches. My doctor put me on progesterone cream, and there was some improvement. He thought that PMS was a contributing factor. I had a cardiac arrest when I was 38. Nothing was found to be wrong with my heart, but I was going through an emotional crisis at the time. The cardiologist put me on atenolol (25 mg/day; I now take 50 mg/day). I was put on the atenolol to keep my blood pressure down and keep my heart from beating too fast in emotional situations. The upside to all this is that I have not had but a couple of migraines in 20 years, and none since the dose was increased to 50 mg.”

ijames99 April 19, 2012

“It was prescribed for migraines. The pain stopped now for over 20 days and my hands and feet are no longer cold 24/7. I sleep better too. Finally, some relief from migraines after 25 years with no relief and having taken almost everything under the sun for migraines.”

Anonymous January 27, 2010

Tenormin (atenolol): “I took Tenormin years ago for migraines...guess it worked then too. But I had been taken off of it....last year alone I had over 20 migraines, I was put back on Tenormin in October 09, 1per day. I had 2 migraines by November 09 in which my dose was increased to 2/day (25mg). Today is Jan 27, 2010 and I haven't had a migraine since Nov 09.”

MomsterSaurusRex · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2016

“I was having migraines on average 5 days a week with just about everything from atmospheric pressure, sound, light, and foods as triggers. Had an MRI without any real findings other than white spots on the brain. My doctor prescribed me Atenolol and the results have been amazing. While I still have the occasional migraine, the frequency and severity has been greatly decreased without any side effects (so far).”

Goldielockett July 17, 2015

“I suffered from migraines for years, no telling how much damage I’ve done to my kidneys and liver due to the amount of IB I took. Most of the time the pain just subsided but never really went away. The Atenolol has knocked out my migraines by 95%. I wish I would have known about this years ago! It truly is a godsend!”

tailwheel · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2014

“Was given atenolol for high blood pressure and suffered many bad side effects. Very tired, itching, dizzy, increase in blood sugar and moodiness. Migraine headaches are a sign of non celiac gluten sensitivity. Many family members suffer with migraines and a gluten free diet stops them.”

MN user · Taken for 10 years or more August 9, 2014

“I have been taking atenolol for over 20 years to prevent migraines. I feel fortunate the my doctor was a specialist in migraines and put me on this when I was experiencing migraines every three days in college. When I was pregnant, however, they did not know about the side effects, so my son did suffer growth restriction in utero. He was only 5 pound at 40 weeks, and was taken by emergency c-section. He is now 14 year old and fine.”

GNIck · Taken for 10 years or more June 21, 2019

“I had migraines from the age of 40 to 56 - two or three every month. An ergotamine med usually worked. When I was 56, the ergotamine didn't work and I went to the ER. My blood pressure was unusually high. I was put on a daily dose of 150 MG of Atenolol. That was 16 years ago. I have had NO migraines and NO headaches of any kind in 16 years. My heart rate is very low - 40s - 50s - but my doctor says it's no problem unless I feel really dizzy or faint.”

Wadehayes · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2016

“I was doing some research on migraines was having 4 or 6 migraines a week had to beg my doctor to put me on this he finally agreed been on it for 2 months not a single headache nor migraine I have had migraines since I was 10 I am now 33 I know it is commonly used for high blood pressure and the reason my doctor was kind of leery of it is because I didn't have high blood pressure but I'm glad he let me try it and it's on the Walmart $4 plan”

Leah45 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 21, 2016

“I suffered years and years of migraines. I had to wrap my head in a rag with alcohol to get some relief. My migraines stopped when I was prescribed Atenolol for high blood pressure. Have only had a couple of mild episodes in two years taking Atenolol. Yey!”

skywalker August 2, 2009

“I've been taking Atenolol 25mg for about 3 years. I used to get very bad migraines at least 3 times a month but since taking atenolol my migraines have all but gone, my blood pressure has come down. I do however have strange dreams and have slowly gained weight over the years.”

bcfrench August 25, 2009

“This medication has been an absolute God send to me. Prior to taking low-dose Atenolol, I was getting crippling migraines once a month or so that would consume 48-72 hours of my life. My doctor began prescribing Atenolol over three years ago, and I have only had three or four migraines since - all of which I was able to stop immediately with Imitrex. I have no side effects other than sleepiness, which simply means I take it before bed and there are no issues.”

New Atenolol User September 26, 2016

“I just started using this for migraine prevention this week. I've had no bad side effects. I've actually been sleeping better and I feeling less anxiety. I will post a follow-up review in a couple of months.”

Retired Army · Taken for 10 years or more April 20, 2017

“I was given Atenolol for rapid heartbeat and high blood pressure, I was on recruiting duty and had started these problems, plus I started to have migraine headaches several times a week. When the army doctor started treating me for the rapid heartbeat and high blood pressure, my migraines stopped. I seldom get any migraines now. I've been taking Atenolol since the mid 1980's. The Atenolol was a miracle drug for me.”

Chachiglo May 7, 2017

“I've suffered migraines since I was 10 years old. I am now 65 and on Atenolol for 15 plus years. My NP took me off Imitrex because I was over using. I was a about to explode from over use. NP said we should try Atenolol. My life changed dramatically, I'm finally living life headache free. I get my RX filled and get 3 month supply for $10.”

Lucky Lucy August 14, 2013

“I've been taking Atenolol for years, and though it worked fairly well sometimes, now it's pretty useless. I get a migraine every other day. Nothing has changed in my habits. It's 31 years of migraine and no sign of it slowing down. Already been through the menopause.”

JChicago November 5, 2017

“I was put on atenolol, 50 mg daily, 27 years ago. Prior to that I also suffered debilitating migraines almost daily for many years. The atenolol controlled the BP and, in a complete surprise, eliminated the migraines. In the following years, my doctor switched me to a newer BP medicine and the migraines returned. When I went back to atenolol the migraines went away. Atenolol has been one of the very best things ever to happen to me in terms of health.”

aAva January 9, 2016

“I get migraines every day to every other day. Taking this, I definitely have to still watch my diet super hard to avoid food triggers. I don't wake up with migraines and would say I only have about 1 or 2 a week now. Not a miracle but helps a lot!!”

Scotch · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2018

Tenormin (atenolol): “Had headaches for years. Got where over the counter medicines wouldn't work. Dr put me on this medicine. I was a little scare at first since I have no blood pressure problems. So far my headache are gone. I was put on 25 mg a day. Half a pill in the morning other half in the evening. I should of went to Dr sooner with this problem.”

hhhhhjhg August 3, 2016

“I have found its good and reduces them but I also have to take pitxophiren and sumatriptan unfortunately I still get 3/5 per month but better than one a day ! Plus this is the safest one to use I recommend it. I have to see a neurologist and it takes 12 months”

Hoss · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2018

“I’m 38 have had headaches all my life, until I was put on atenolol now they're gone. I started out on 25mg about 2 months ago and now I’m on 50mg. It’s great for headaches and it cost me $2.99 for a month supply, but I think I need to go back to the 25mg and maybe the side effects will go away. It’s a wonderful feeling to be headache free but I can do with the side effects.”

Brownie (Canada) April 18, 2018

“I was diagnosed with migraines at 16. I have had them now for 40 years mine come in cycles I get them every day for about 3 wks maybe 2 hrs relief a day, but then I will not get them again for about 6 wks when the cycle restarts. I was put on atenolol 100 mg in 2004 to help prevent these headaches, I can't say the atenolol has reduced the amount of headaches I get, but I do believe it has helped the severity of pain. I haven't had as many trips to the hospital. What has helped me the most is axert for migraine pain.”

Csmadd90 July 30, 2013

“I had migraines for years but then I was prescribed atenolol for prophylactic treatment. I took a daily dose of atenolol. I am migraine free since 2007. Yay!”

Craigie · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 12, 2015

“I was originally put on atenolol for anxiety induced palpitations. I was also suffering with ocular migraines and atenolol has been a godsend.”

Laquis · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2015

“I have migraine 8 years now every day I only started atenolol 2 weeks now since I started I have not gotten one migraine so its working for me”