User Reviews for Atenolol to treat Ventricular Tachycardia

Also known as: Tenormin

Atenolol has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Ventricular Tachycardia. 77% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Atenolol Rating Summary

8.0/10 average rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Ventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Atenolol

AshKetchum · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 16, 2019

“I am a 27 year old female. I was put on Atenolol after years of doctors visits including everyone trying to tell me I had anxiety. That was not the case, I was finally diagnosed with Atrial Ventricular Reentry Tachycardia and immediately put me on Atnolol. They tried an ablation but it was unsuccessful. I have now been on Atenolol for 5 years and I have had CHRONIC fatigue since I began these medications and I feel like my symptoms are worsening. I have tightness in my chest often, difficulty getting a deep breath and the lethargy is off the charts, my sex drive sucks and I feel "blah" more often than not. I also love to work out but I feel like I always have a gorilla on my back. It's all extremely frustrating. I am DYING to wean off of this medicine and I really wish the doctors would have educated me more about the side effects because I think the diagnosis would have seemed more bearable than this.”

Anonymous March 20, 2009

“I have had NO noticeable side affects from this medication. I did stop taking it for a week and found out how much I really do need atenolol. My heart palpitations returned with a vengeance. Post heart attack .. listen to your doctor.”

Charlie Hawking · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 7, 2015

“I take atenolol to treat tachycardia caused by Dysautonomia. Like some others with my condition, there are many beta-blockers I cannot tolerate. I also have asthma (potentially caused by dysautonomia) which is a concern when taking beta blockers. Atenolol is cardioselective and less likely to affect respiratory function. In my case, this has been true. It is the only beta blocker I have been able to use without having horrible, debilitating and/or life threatening side effects. It has brought my resting HR down from 120-130 to 80-90. Now my HR only goes above 120 with strenuous exercise or infections. Side Effects: Cold extremities, slight worsening of asthma symptoms, insomnia if taken within 6 hours of bedtime.”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2019

“I’ve been on atenolol since July for the treatment of POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) Although it’s not the first choice beta blocker most doctors would use for POTS, it’s what they put me on before they knew for sure I had POTS. So my body is already use to it they didn’t wanna switch. The side effects at first were TOUGH. It took till October to start feeling like they were improving. I take 25mg every 12 hours. One dose a day wasn’t enough so after one month they had to increase the dose but it does a pretty good job keeping my resting HR where it should. I’m still about 115bpm standing up but it’s better than 150bpm before the medication. I have to take midodrine also now with it since it’s dropping my BP too low now. Or the pots is. Either way it’s a decent beta blocker.”

Skipped a Beat · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2021

“My PVCs got much worse about 6 months ago. I figure on average I was skipping 5 beats a minute but would often go into a one out of every three pattern for hours which makes you think you're near death. The jury is still out but I started 25mg of atenolol daily a week ago and I am >90 percent improved. BP is much better and my heart no longer races. God bless the makers of atenolol...”

Accipiter July 29, 2011

“I was prescribed this temporarily for a bout of rapid resting heart rate. I was unfortunate enough to have some of the severe side effects, including depression. I was inconsolable as every tiny little thing set me off to bawling! I also had tightness in the chest when I tried to walk down the street. Definitely did what it was supposed to do, which was slow my heart, but the side effects were too much.”

Sunnycloud123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2020

“On this for Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS)This is a terrible drug! I would highly recommend avoiding this med at all costs. This med caused SEVERE dizziness to the point I couldn't function. Also atenolol causes crippling depression and has a black box warning when you stop taking it. Right before I stopped the med I noted extreme breathlessness and felt like I couldn't get enough air.”

Omines · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2020

“I’m a 72 yr/old female who’s been on atenolol for decades for palpitations, tachycardia and hypertension. My doc has tried to discontinue it several times, but within days I need to restart it because of the palpitations. I’m now taking 100mg/da. It’s not effective for the hypertension and semi effective for tachycardia.”

Lower heart rate now September 3, 2011

“I went on Dyazide for high blood pressure; it was seriously high. It was still a little bit high so the doctor put me on Dyazide. My resting heart rate was also consistently above 100, probably around 120. Now, I have normal blood pressure and normal resting heart rate. There were no noticeable side effects. I am very happy with my hypertension and tachycardia medicines.”

AT · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 12, 2021

“I was prescribed this medication in 2013. I was in college, every doctor told me I had anxiety and panic attacks but I know that wasn't it. Was finally 'diagnosed' with VT/WPW. Still unknown to this day BUT the 25mg 1x/day dose of Atenolol has changed my life for the better. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night with a heart rate of 180+, I can lay in the couch without worrying about a random tachycardia attack, and my palpitations/fluttering are almost completely under control. They still happen, but the episodes don't last hours! Not to mention, I have no health insurance and the generic version of this drug is SO affordable. Only downside for me are the side effects. I used to take it in the evening so I didn't notice the side effects but I recently had to switch to taking it in the morning because I work night shifts at the hospital and during the day I notice the side effects. Lethargy/dizziness.”

Anonymous April 7, 2011

Tenormin (atenolol): “Even though I have read that atenolol may raise 50% the risk for diabetes, I have used it for more than 20 years without any problems.”

Nic · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 21, 2021

“I have POTS stemming from a genetic condition called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. This medication helped immensely and I have had zero side effects. A++”

Anonymous November 18, 2010

“this has been a God-send for my Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.”