User Reviews for Atenolol to treat Supraventricular Tachycardia

Also known as: Tenormin

Atenolol Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Supraventricular Tachycardia.

Reviews for Atenolol

Starrberry · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

Tenormin (atenolol): “I have arrhythmia and this week I’ve had 2 tachycardia episodes over 200bpm. They prescribed me this medicine Tenormin to help with heart rate stabilization. I was pleased to find that it kept my heart rate between 65-80 all day and it also helped keep me calm. My issue is that this drug should NOT be taken if you have asthma. About 3 hours after I took the first dose, I had a bad asthma attack and had to take my rescue inhaler. It opened me up again, but the rest of the day I had a tight/sore chest with a raspy cough. I wish the doctor told me this to begin with. The drug work fantastically, but not for asthmatics.”

Obed · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2019

“I am an older teenager who has used atenolol before for supraventricular tachycardia but stopped because of an ablation, which was unsuccessful so I am taking it again. This time though it seems to be working less efficiently. My heart seems to feel like it's going to go into palpitations but it doesn't.”

Dollylori · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 26, 2019

“This medication as been great! I wish I hadn't been so resistant. I have had NO side effects and I've been taking it for about 9 months now. It has significantly reduced my episodes of palpitations and when I do have an episode it is only seconds or minutes. No more hour long episodes or trips to the ER! As a benefit, my blood pressure which was starting to veer on the higher end is now completely normal since I've been taking Atenolol! My Dr. had been pressuring me to have the Ablation procedure but I wasn't comfortable with that. I wanted to try this first. I am on a very low dose. I only take 1/2 of a 25 mg. pill daily. He told me I could take a full pill but usually 1/2 is all I need. I highly recommend Atenolol! I gave it 9 instead of 10 stars only because it's a hassle to cut it. I wish they'd come out with 12 1/2 mg. pills.”

Tracy · Taken for 10 years or more September 10, 2019

“I have been taking atenolol over 28 years. I started out on 25 mg daily and have increased to 50 mg twice daily over the past few years. I take it for SVT and it helps tremendously with no side effects.”

Wizard348 · Taken for 10 years or more August 20, 2019

“I was diagnosed with SVT in 1992. I was prescribed 50mg Atenolol. My problems were completely gone. I dropped to 25Mg in 2001 and have been on 25Mg since. I know when I have missed my pill. I call it "funny feeling in my chest". The first thing I do is make sure I took my pill. It is "My little friend". I take it with 40Mg of Lipitor and 60 Mg of Cymbalta. Also 81Mg asprin, Zytec, 1200Mg Fish Oil, B-Complex and Areds 2 for my eyes. Absolutely no problems or side effects. ”

Mondia · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

“I never had an episode while taking 50 mg / day.”

TJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 29, 2019

Tenormin (atenolol): “I took Tenormin for one year and it always reduced my heart rate and also blood pressure which was very useful. Towards the end of the one year of treatment I suffered strange artefacts in my visual field, swelling of the face, dyspnea, swollen hands, etc., and the side-effects were similar to pseudo lupus.”

Trace · Taken for 10 years or more November 26, 2018

Tenormin (atenolol): “Been taking Atenelol for 27 years for SVT. I take 50 mg twice daily. The only side effect is cold hands and feet for me. This drug has helped me more than any I've taken. In the beginning it made me very tired and my heart rate was in the 50s, but it take a bit of time for side effects to wear off.”

Kwissay · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2018

“My cardiologist prescribed one-half of the 25 mg. atenolol pill for premature ventricular complexes, which started occurring post-ablation for SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). I find this medication to be very effective in keeping me calm, and my blood pressure nice and low. It has no negative side effects. I feel the extra benefit of this med is the calm I experience. It is so nice to not react rashly in certain situations. Yeah for atenolol!!!”

Lanacreations · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2017

“I have had inappropriate sinus tachycardia for almost 4 years and have been on atenolol for almost 2 years! I don’t know how I survived before without my atenolol pill! My heart rate used to get up to 180-190 everyday and one time it lasted 6 hours and the doctors gave me atenolol and it worked great and has worked ever since! I do sometimes get dizzy if my blood pressure gets too low but I just eat salt if it does. I rate this medicine an 9/10 because it keeps my heart rate very normal, around 65-79 now but also gives me the low blood pressure feeling.”

Justinus · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 18, 2017

Tenormin (atenolol): “After I take 25 mg tenormin and avapro 75mg my heartbeat is better”

Missozzie · Taken for 10 years or more March 27, 2017

“I have been on atentolol for about 12yrs now. I was wondering how lipitor interacts with it.”

Nochka January 15, 2017

“This drug was awful for me, I was on it 7/8 years ago when I was 13/14. I have always had normal/low blood pressure, reading sometimes normal of 120/80 but sometimes 90/60. My cardiologist put me on 25MG of Atenolol because my heart rate would reach max super quickly during exercise. I was on it for a couple of weeks before beginning to feel symptoms. I couldn't stand up without fading out. The worst part for me is that it gave me deeply disturbing intrusive suicidal thoughts that seemed to come from nowhere. I was extremely depressed and cried a lot. When I told my cardiologist of my symptoms, he doubled my dosage and put me on 50MG. I slowly weaned myself off because I couldn't take it anymore.”

scentedberries July 27, 2015

Tenormin (atenolol): “I've been taking this medication since Mar 2015. Started out on 75mg a day and found the side affects were horrible. Tiredness, dizziness.It just became to much and couldn't function. Doctor drop it to 50mg a day and my heart beat drops below 50bpm which is scary and blood pressure drops.”

shanrykaymom July 4, 2014

“Thought I lost my bottle of atenolol. I went 2 days without it, oh boy didn't let me sleep at night and my heart rate was so fast. Found it this morning, its like a magic pill. All my symptoms went away, can't go without it for a day.”

Happy & Well July 5, 2011

“I have been on 25mg daily for 8 years and have not had a single episode. Heart rate is 68-72 bpm. Missed a dose once and became very sick with high blood pressure 186/107. Need to consult with physician to stop taking it. I'm on this for life so no worries.”

Anonymous August 7, 2009

Tenormin (atenolol): “Had severe tachycardia since 2004. I take 50mg 2x daily and resting pulse remains below 100 bpm.”

Learn more about Supraventricular Tachycardia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)