User Reviews for Atenolol (Page 2)

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 7 reviews 12 medications

Alcohol Withdrawal 1 reviews 17 medications

6.3
Summary of Atenolol reviews 152 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Atenolol

For Anxiety: "Was ok for many months then terrible, debilitating nausea. Given nausea was a symptom of my anxiety and gastroparesis I thought my symptoms were coming back. TERRIBLE experience. Keep in mind, people, side effects can crop up at any time, not necessarily at the beginning of treatment."

Mickarickaroozie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Neurologist put me on primadone to stop tremors (caused by seizures medication). Was working great. New doctor switched me to atenolol. Chest pains, tightness in chest, hard to breathe, dizzy, fainted, feeling suicidal, could not read. Called doctor. His RN said to go off it immediately. Later, fainted. Called pharmacist. He said "get to ER stat." My BP is usually 120/63. Was 188/88 when I was first admitted to ER. Spent 4 hours, on IV, etc. ER MD told me never to do beta blockers. Had no idea this Rx was a beta blocker!"

dix888 August 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Atenolol What a joke, sure it lowers your blood pressure at what cost ,you lose your inner well being thank God i found about Nitric Factor, I am now on 12.5 mg of Atenolol to keep my heart rate at about 60 even after alcohol. I was on 50 mg a day and really felt i was not enjoying my life as felt so ill !!!!!!!! My B/P is now 130/70 it was 160/90. I know we are all different but to be honest for me i hated the dose i was given with such horrific side effects for me. I only hope this helps just one person in life as these Cardiologists have no idea of the true side affects."

consuelo1234 August 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Atenolol for the past 3 yrs, but previously have been on many other types of bp medications that did not work as well. The problem is now I'm experiencing the side effects that others have reported on such as the sensitivity to light, decreased sexual arousal, dizziness occasionally, swollen ankles, and gout. I have pain near my heart, and my legs, hands or feet "fall asleep" all the time. In the regards off lowering my pressure, it does the job. But the side effects are starting to get to me, and the longer I take this it may get worse. So I'm talking to my doctor to wean me off this stuff."

Lady in VA (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Great medication when used properly. Spend some time and get the correct dose (I'd wager it's never correct the first time they write a 'script). I started at 50mg and immediately had to go to 25mg because it was too much for me. Do not stop taking this medication or change your dosage without doctor's orders, though. This medication is also good for anxiety. But, it has nothing to do with hair loss or other symptoms of aging. C'mon, guys...you can't blame one very targeted, subtle drug on every malady you experience in your body."

Robert.P August 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I have found its good and reduces them but I also have to take pitxophiren and sumatriptan unfortunately I still get 3/5 per month but better than one a day ! Plus this is the safest one to use I recommend it. I have to see a neurologist and it takes 12 months"

hhhhhjhg August 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was taking Atenolol for 3 years 50 mg .I had constant tightness in the chest and never ever felt happy and well. I recently had a trip overseas and finished up in hospital. My blood pressure was 120/80 but my heart beat was down to 44. I was so dizzy i could not walk, enough was enough so i went to a doctor in Melbourne Australia who advised me to take Nitric Factor and reduce Atenolol to 25 mg. This i did but i can assure you coming off this drug was a horror story it took 2 Months and now take one scoop of the Nitric Factor a day and my b/p is about 126/70 and pulse 62. It was my decision to stop taking the 25Mg of Atenolol.I can now sleep and feel i have my life back again.I am 63 years and my initial b/p was 160/ 90 and pulse 70."

consuelo1234 July 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was doing some research on migraines was having 4 or 6 migraines a week had to beg my doctor to put me on this he finally agreed been on it for 2 months not a single headache nor migraine I have had migraines since I was 10 I am now 33 I know it is commonly used for high blood pressure and the reason my doctor was kind of leery of it is because I didn't have high blood pressure but I'm glad he let me try it and it's on the Walmart $4 plan"

Wadehayes (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Thougt it did nothing so i skipped a dose and it was the worst day of my life...Best Drug Ever"

Can't Survive Without This! (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Was started taking atenolol 25. It worked well for 7 days. Then i faced side effects. I have swollen right ankle, i came to know after 12 days its side effect of atenolol. Worse drug ive ever experienced. Im back to amlodipine & its working well now."

rites (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This drug helped eliminate my panic attacks and also keeps me calm throughout the day. Haven't had tachycardia a while. Currently taking 12.5. I definitely recommend atenolol for anxiety."

JessK June 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "This medication has helped me out alot. My blood pressure and palpitations are under control. I feel tired for the first few hours after I take the medication.....but it gets better as the day goes on."

Bsgs June 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on a very low dose of Atenolol and after 27 days I stopped taking it.. Worst ever.. My heart pounds, my chest is tight with a burning sensation and difficulty breathing... Add cold soaking sweats and huge bruises on my arms and I have had enough of this poison.. Called my cardiologist and told him I was not taking it anymore and he didn't call me back... Woke up at 4 am and my heart was beating so hard I thought I was having a heart attack... Happy it works well for some... And, it is the only medication I was on..."

Sarabetty June 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "The longer I was taking this the more breathless I became. My dose was halved and it was great for a while but the breathlessness is creeping back. Bought myself a pill cutter and am going to half it again. Also take amitriptyline and indapamide originally for headaches but now for high blood pressure too."

Melanie dawson (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was actually prescribed Atenoprol for my high blood pressure but a week after starting, I was sitting in a board room about to present and noticed that I was surprisingly calm. For years I had suffered with panic attacks and severe anxiety when making presentations which I have to do frequently at work...So horribly embarrassing and uncontrollable. My bp is down too and do far no side effects."

MayaJ April 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "It help with the palpitations cause by anxiety but the side effects are horrible .they includes being dizzy,upset stomach,tired and pain. Really trying to get off soon."

Candy shorty March 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This is an awesome medication for panic attacks with palpitations...it simply eliminates them very safe and effective...ask your doctor about this wonder drug....only 4 bucks a month at Target who by the way run an awesome Pharmacy"

RJ2121 (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm on 150mg Atenolol, I take 100mg in the morning and 50mg at night. Side effects are, leg water retention, breathlessness on exertion due to too slow heart rate, breathlessness when sleeping due to even slower heart rate, this in addition to dizzyness. I should mention I sauffer from Diabetes type 2, insulin/diet controlled, so there may be an Insulin/Atenolol conflict there, and polyneuropathy to the extent I can no longer walk as my legs no longer respond to instructions from my brain."

Geovanni (taken for 10 years or more) March 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was having migraines on average 5 days a week with just about everything from atmospheric pressure, sound, light, and foods as triggers. Had an MRI without any real findings other than white spots on the brain. My doctor prescribed me Atenolol and the results have been amazing. While I still have the occasional migraine, the frequency and severity has been greatly decreased without any side effects (so far)."

MomsterSaurusRex (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Worst medication ever. Taking this medication was the biggest mistake I ever made and I want to wean off it so bad. I wish I had a time machine to go back and stop myself from taking this poison. It has caused me severe depression, hair loss, worsening anxiety had a very negative effect on my sex life (I'm a 30 yr old newly wed). Drug companies will not be honest about side effects because bp meds are a huge money maker for them as they are one of the most commonly prescribed meds....do your own research I wish I had"

MarlenaLynn February 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Atenolol 6.25mg bringing my bp to low 96/68 some times 86/57 I feel lightheaded and dizzy.works well for bringing pulse rate down 60-80."

shabs786 February 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on 25 mgs. of Atenolol for 10 years. Have heard in recent years, that after such time They are finding IF you're over 60, you should consider switching to another BB. That supposedly it (atenolol) loses it's effectiveness. Well when you start researching ALL the beta blockers currently on the market? You will find that most of them have side effects far more than Atenolol, and while I haven't had any real symptoms, I'm guessing I should "stay put" with Atenolol unless it fails to do the job in the future."

Ms. Ntheno (taken for 10 years or more) February 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Ended up in hospital with extremely low blood pressure, blacking out, uncontrollable shaking, feeling cold, grey pallor...was not fun."

Now I am cranky (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I am taking atenolol since more than 10 years, now my age is 42. Initially it was very good for reducing bp even now also. But initially no any side effects, But for the 2 years I have gout, I feel the gout may be caused due to using atenolol for a long time"

SYED AHAMED February 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Noticing symptoms of heart failure."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2016