User Reviews for Atenolol to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Tenormin

Atenolol has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 108 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 55% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Atenolol Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 284 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Atenolol

Ay · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2020

“I’ve been on Atenolol 50mg and Losartan Potassium 50mg for about 3 years. This will probably be the worst period in my life. My weight went from 78kg to 87kg on same diet, I couldn’t workout again because it was difficult getting out of bed. I was constantly drowsy with joint pains, lower back pains, swollen knees and ankles, occasional itchy throat, usually wake up in the morning with tingling or numb fingers all swollen. I had 2 mild accidents while driving due to drowsiness. My doctor made me do so many tests: ECG, Cortisol test, cholesterols etc. but I didn’t know what was the cause of my ailments until I ran out of my med during this Covid-19 lockdown for 3 days and all my symptoms disappeared except that my bp was 145/80 so I stopped taking these two med. I’m back on water pills only, trying to lose weight: I have never felt so good in about 3 years! Please monitor your symptoms or lifestyle changes while on Atenolol”

LesF · Taken for 10 years or more April 8, 2020

“I have been on this medication atenolol since I was 19, I am now 50 (31 years). When I first started taking it, I struggled with the fatigue, difficulty concentrating and staying awake during the day. So, instead of taking it in the morning, I take it before bed to sleep off the side effects. I like this medication, it works well for me. I have tried other medications for short periods of time but ended up requesting atenolol because I am very familiar with it and it has fewer side effects.”

Your Favorite Musician · Taken for 10 years or more August 26, 2016

“I have been taking 50 mg per day of atenolol, for 29 years, now. It has done two things for me. It has controlled my blood pressure dependably and it has made me a much calmer person. I have had no side effects, unless you consider being more calm a side effect. I was 33 years old, when I started atenolol and I am now 62.”

hsz33 · Taken for 10 years or more July 18, 2019

“Lowers my blood pressure 110/70 pulse 65 and keeps anxiety at bay. Love it. I've been taking atenolol since I was 33 years old and now I am 50. Downside, it keeps your sexual drive at bay too for the last 3 years. 25mg twice a day. (morning + evening)”

Paffy November 25, 2016

“I know it's been at least 15 yrs taking this medication. It's the ONLY one I take. It does the job no anxiety and blood pressure low. I'm 48yrs old and it does seem like I'm experience the few side affects now. I'm tired, don't sleep well, sex drive is decreased. My biggest complaint about the medication is that All OUR doctor's give us absolutely NO homeopathic alternative!!!! I read All 4 pages of comments and no one has been offered a better solution.I know drugs help but the dependency is beyond belief. A person on here posted a comment about the pharmaceutical industry depend on All of US to use these medications. With out a better solution. To me we've become drug addicts. There's gotta be a better,Natural solution to our problems.”

Arby · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2020

“I took atenolol for about a year. Suddenly noticed a weakness in my upper legs for a month then started swelling with pain in my hands and wrists, feet and ankles. My memory was also deteriorating. The pain was excruciating. It was the only medication I was taking but 5 doctors never linked my condition to the drug. This continued for months until one day I decided to quit the drug and see what happened. Within a few days the swelling subsided and was then gone within a short time. I lived with the pain for 2 1/2 to 3 years, now I feel it no longer and it took that long for my memory to improve.”

consuelo1234 August 16, 2016

“Atenolol What a joke, sure it lowers your blood pressure at what cost ,you lose your inner well being thank God i found about Nitric Factor, I am now on 12.5 mg of Atenolol to keep my heart rate at about 60 even after alcohol. I was on 50 mg a day and really felt i was not enjoying my life as felt so ill !!!!!!!! My B/P is now 130/70 it was 160/90. I know we are all different but to be honest for me i hated the dose i was given with such horrific side effects for me. I only hope this helps just one person in life as these Cardiologists have no idea of the true side affects.”

Advoman · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

“I was prescribed Altenolol for minor high blood pressure due to pain. I’m not one take medication. The first day taking Altenolol. I was very fatigued. Second day I had a rash on my back and stomach area! The itching was like having poison Ivy. Horrible! Had to go to urgent care for a shot to stop the itching. After dealing with that issue I decided to go back to natural ways. Started on a red beet supplements! BP went down to 102-67 in three days, From 158/101. I feel like I am 25! Feeling great using natural resources instead of chemicals.”

512707 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2018

“My doctor recommended a low dose of atenolol for high blood pressure (25mg once a day) and I was afraid to take it after reading reviews here! But I am happy to report that the drug is working great for me, bringing my blood pressure from borderline back into the normal range. I am not experiencing any side effects. I would recommend to a friend!”

Mike December 28, 2019

“I went through a very stressful time in my life 3 years ago. My bp was 200/100. My doctor prescribed atenolol chlorithaldone 50-25, losartan potassium, amlodipine besylate, and klor con 20. My bp and bloodwork was normal. A year later the dr says I have high cholesterol and stage 3 kidney disease. I also lost my sex drive, experience depression, dizziness, leg and feet pain, charley horses mostly while sleeping, and water retention in my ankles and feet. Two years later I went into cardiac arrest, which was caused by low blood pressure. Imaging and found no heart problems. The dr took me off everything but the atenolol chlorthalidone and klor con. My bp is ok, but now I have extreme pain in my lower left leg and foot, that seems to move. My toes feel like they are asleep. I can barely walk. My potassium level is ok. I'm buying a pill splitter and going to ween off the atenolol which I know is causing my problems.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2014

“I've been on 100 mg of this medication and it did exactly what it was supposed to do. It lowered my blood pressure and I also got the side benefit of reduced anxiety. No bad side effects whatsoever. This one is a 10 in my book.”

Duchess · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2021

“This is by far one of the worst meds for high blood pressure. This stuff gave me paranoia. I have never experienced anything like this in my life. And no it didn't help my blood pressure, made it higher.”

Mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

“I left a review on December 28, 2019 describing side effects from atenolol chlorithaldane 50-25. The worst side effect was extreme pain in my lower left leg and foot that is a gout like symptom without redness or swelling and severely limited my ability to walk. I bought a pill cutter and reduced my dosage 25% about a week ago. My heart rate which was in the high 40s in the morning went up about 10 bpm. My bp also went up but seems to be returning to normal. My pain level dropped 50% and I can walk again. I plan on reducing the dosage another 25% next week and hope to eventually stop taking this medication.”

webgal14 · Taken for 10 years or more December 21, 2016

“I've been on Atenolol for 15 years. My dosage was reduced from 50mg to 25mg about 6 mos. ago when I experienced bradycardia--low heart rate. Noticed that I was happier and less tired. Recently started having chest pains, tightness and high BP readings right after taking 25mg Atenolol. After several hours, my BP returns to normal at 120/75. Upon awaking--it is very normal still. My doctor has prescribed another BP med (Lisinopril) but after reading about the horrible "common" side effects, I am deciding to try natural supplements instead. Even the pharmacist warned me about the new medication. I think the pharmaceutical market wants to keep us on these outrageous medications for profit and probably 50% of us don't really need it.”

PittGrl October 27, 2016

“I was diagnosed with genetic high blood pressure at 21. My dr put me on atenolol and it helped tremendously with my migraines. At first I thought it worked pretty well and hadn't had any side effects. Fast forward several years and I was always tired, suffered from anhedonia and depression, had decreased libido, and could never get a "runner's high" from working out. I'm off of it now and I feel alive again. The depression and anhedonia has lifted, I enjoy working out, and am myself again. It controlled my blood pressure well but at the expense of losing myself, it just wasn't worth it.”

Tricia · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

“Been on this drug since April this year. Within one hour of taking 12.5 mg my heart beats so hard, skips around and makes me feel like fainting. This lasts usually about an hour. I am constantly nauseous and anxious. I don’t know if this is from the drug or because it scares me so badly when I take it and react this way. I’ve had EKG, Holter and Event monitors and nothing shows except some PACs. Dr says keep taking the 12.5 mg. I want off it.”

Valerie · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2019

“Doctor originally started me on lisinopril; CONSTANT, CHRONIC diarrhea from the moment I started it. Within HOURS of stopping it, diarrhea stopped. Doctor switched me to atenolol and been on it ever since. Only side effect was when doctor decided to double the dosage and I nearly wrecked the car! Never again! Back to 50 mg. BP always between 110-116 over 65-70.”

AnnieAnn6962 September 28, 2011

“I am 49 yr old female. Have taken combination of atenolol/chlorothiazide 50/25 plus another one for 11 years. The past four years I have developed an unexplained itch (no outside rash) so I have to take an antihistamine everyday, muscle/joint pain so bad I take a pain pill for that. Swelling of hands and feet/ dangerously low Potassium levels. After reading over the side effects I took myself off it, I have changed doctors and hopefully can get on something better. I have been off it two weeks and I feel so good. No itching, no pain, no extra pills..blood pressure is up but that can be taken care of. I think it had built up in my system to a toxic level. It did the job, just added to many other issues after so many years of use. Good luck everyone.”

Lucky · Taken for 10 years or more October 30, 2019

“I have been on this drug for many years. I tried lisinopril for a while and it made me cough. Came back to atenolol and am happy with it. My BP is generally in a safe range and I feel good most of the time. No side effects as far as I know; I do have trouble sleeping but that has been my life story, so I can't blame it on atenolol. Thumbs up. It was not covered under ObamaCare but only costs $4.00 per month.”

Horrible side effects · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2013

Tenormin (atenolol): “Ever since taking this my throat has been swollen. I told the dr & he doesn't think its from the Atenolol but it didn't start until then. Its hard to sleep at night. I have horrible eye pressure and it makes me anxious. I'm hoping I can switch meds soon. It doesn't reduce my pressure much at all.”

Anonymous September 30, 2009

Tenormin (atenolol): “I took this medication for about a year. Felt severely depressed. Retained fluid. Switched medical insurance which resulted in my seeing another doctor. He changed me from Tenormin to Accupril. After one month, my world changed. No longer hated to get out of the bed each morning. Could now wear my wedding band on my ring finger. Tenormin was the wrong medicine for me. Wrote a letter to my prior doctor to let her know of my experience.”

melony09 August 7, 2009

“I am a 38 year old female. Before taking atenolol I had high pulse and a fast heart beat (very scary feeling) also heart palpitations. I was a nervous wreck. I would wake in the morning with my heart pounding and out of breath. My doctor started me on atenolol 25mg about 2 weeks ago. I have never felt so normal. I can actually wake in morning and feel good. I am walking every day and on a strict diet with no problem. Thank goodness for atenolol.”

Ms. Ntheno · Taken for 10 years or more February 18, 2016

“I've been on 25 mgs. of Atenolol for 10 years. Have heard in recent years, that after such time They are finding IF you're over 60, you should consider switching to another BB. That supposedly it (atenolol) loses it's effectiveness. Well when you start researching ALL the beta blockers currently on the market? You will find that most of them have side effects far more than Atenolol, and while I haven't had any real symptoms, I'm guessing I should "stay put" with Atenolol unless it fails to do the job in the future.”

Sophie April 2, 2018

“My back, hurts all the time , it's hard for me to walk.My neighbor thought I was drunk, I never drink!I would feel like I was falling, Had too much pain, I just got off these pill, I'm still in pain, I'd get up in the morning, and all of a sudden, I was so tired and sleepy, so I'd go back to sleep, I felt like I was dying. Couldn't do much being so tired all the time, and feeling like I was falling, and drunk! Don't take this pill.”

Anonymous February 9, 2018

“I'm 23. One fine day I checked my bp and it was 146/104. No symptoms. After several readings throughout the day the average reading was the same. My mother was already on 50 mg per day of atenolol. She was worried and so I has tablet of 50 mg just in case heart attack don't show up. With no knowledge of abruptly stopping it, I skipped the next dose. And wow the days after that were like a ride to hell. It was like having a heart attack constantly for days. Although I checked with a doctor immediately and he put me on a lower dose but getting off that 1 dose of 50 mg was like surviving death every moment. Guys, seriously I don't know if this medicine works or not as I've been taking it for less than a week now. But one thing for sure, don't leave this medicine abruptly, once you are into the game, you've to play with rules. Damn it.”