User Reviews for Atenolol to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Tenormin

Atenolol Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Atenolol

Ay · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2020

“I’ve been on Atenolol 50mg and Losartan Potassium 50mg for about 3 years. This will probably be the worst period in my life. My weight went from 78kg to 87kg on same diet, I couldn’t workout again because it was difficult getting out of bed. I was constantly drowsy with joint pains, lower back pains, swollen knees and ankles, occasional itchy throat, usually wake up in the morning with tingling or numb fingers all swollen. I had 2 mild accidents while driving due to drowsiness. My doctor made me do so many tests: ECG, Cortisol test, cholesterols etc. but I didn’t know what was the cause of my ailments until I ran out of my med during this Covid-19 lockdown for 3 days and all my symptoms disappeared except that my bp was 145/80 so I stopped taking these two med. I’m back on water pills only, trying to lose weight: I have never felt so good in about 3 years! Please monitor your symptoms or lifestyle changes while on Atenolol”

LesF · Taken for 10 years or more April 8, 2020

“I have been on this medication atenolol since I was 19, I am now 50 (31 years). When I first started taking it, I struggled with the fatigue, difficulty concentrating and staying awake during the day. So, instead of taking it in the morning, I take it before bed to sleep off the side effects. I like this medication, it works well for me. I have tried other medications for short periods of time but ended up requesting atenolol because I am very familiar with it and it has fewer side effects.”

Xyz · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“I'm 21 year old with a high blood pressure of 160/100 and a pulse rate of 90+ I used only 5 day of atenolol 50 mg it helps me to lower my blood pressure of 110/70 but also seen side effects from day first (extreme fatigue, coldness and low heart beat (46) now today I'm going to consult my doctor about these side effects”

Arby · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2020

“I took atenolol for about a year. Suddenly noticed a weakness in my upper legs for a month then started swelling with pain in my hands and wrists, feet and ankles. My memory was also deteriorating. The pain was excruciating. It was the only medication I was taking but 5 doctors never linked my condition to the drug. This continued for months until one day I decided to quit the drug and see what happened. Within a few days the swelling subsided and was then gone within a short time. I lived with the pain for 2 1/2 to 3 years, now I feel it no longer and it took that long for my memory to improve.”

Mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

“I left a review on December 28, 2019 describing side effects from atenolol chlorithaldane 50-25. The worst side effect was extreme pain in my lower left leg and foot that is a gout like symptom without redness or swelling and severely limited my ability to walk. I bought a pill cutter and reduced my dosage 25% about a week ago. My heart rate which was in the high 40s in the morning went up about 10 bpm. My bp also went up but seems to be returning to normal. My pain level dropped 50% and I can walk again. I plan on reducing the dosage another 25% next week and hope to eventually stop taking this medication.”

Mike December 28, 2019

“I went through a very stressful time in my life 3 years ago. My bp was 200/100. My doctor prescribed atenolol chlorithaldone 50-25, losartan potassium, amlodipine besylate, and klor con 20. My bp and bloodwork was normal. A year later the dr says I have high cholesterol and stage 3 kidney disease. I also lost my sex drive, experience depression, dizziness, leg and feet pain, charley horses mostly while sleeping, and water retention in my ankles and feet. Two years later I went into cardiac arrest, which was caused by low blood pressure. Imaging and found no heart problems. The dr took me off everything but the atenolol chlorthalidone and klor con. My bp is ok, but now I have extreme pain in my lower left leg and foot, that seems to move. My toes feel like they are asleep. I can barely walk. My potassium level is ok. I'm buying a pill splitter and going to ween off the atenolol which I know is causing my problems.”

Lucky · Taken for 10 years or more October 30, 2019

“I have been on this drug for many years. I tried lisinopril for a while and it made me cough. Came back to atenolol and am happy with it. My BP is generally in a safe range and I feel good most of the time. No side effects as far as I know; I do have trouble sleeping but that has been my life story, so I can't blame it on atenolol. Thumbs up. It was not covered under ObamaCare but only costs $4.00 per month.”

Tricia · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

“Been on this drug since April this year. Within one hour of taking 12.5 mg my heart beats so hard, skips around and makes me feel like fainting. This lasts usually about an hour. I am constantly nauseous and anxious. I don’t know if this is from the drug or because it scares me so badly when I take it and react this way. I’ve had EKG, Holter and Event monitors and nothing shows except some PACs. Dr says keep taking the 12.5 mg. I want off it.”

hsz33 · Taken for 10 years or more July 18, 2019

“Lowers my blood pressure 110/70 pulse 65 and keeps anxiety at bay. Love it. I've been taking atenolol since I was 33 years old and now I am 50. Downside, it keeps your sexual drive at bay too for the last 3 years. 25mg twice a day. (morning + evening)”

Valerie · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2019

“Doctor originally started me on lisinopril; CONSTANT, CHRONIC diarrhea from the moment I started it. Within HOURS of stopping it, diarrhea stopped. Doctor switched me to atenolol and been on it ever since. Only side effect was when doctor decided to double the dosage and I nearly wrecked the car! Never again! Back to 50 mg. BP always between 110-116 over 65-70.”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2019

“My cousin took atenolol 50mg, the first week still working well however on the second week started to have sudden mild shortness of breath which last for 5-10 mins, and my BP can be as low as to 98/65 . Reduce the dose to 25 mg, however the sudden mild SOB still exist, reduce it to 12.5mg , on monitoring status... Reduce the dose slowly if having such side effects, with consultation with your Doctor.”

Captain underpants · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

“At first was really nice to find a blood pressure pill with not so many side effects. Also helped with anxiety which was an added bonus. The first week or so was nice one night woke up one eye was seeing double went away by morning - never had that before. Recently chest & back was very sore & had weird breathing patterns with fast breathing at moments but not getting better. Missed a dose the next day the back & chest pain gone. If it was not for these problems I would still be taking. I would recommend this to people but with the heart failure that this medication could cause. I know people on this drug no problems for them.”

Weathertwp · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 18, 2018

“Have been taking this for years, basically I'll self medicate to get the right dose for the day. Some days I don't need any others I need a bit more. (Doctor is fine with me doing it also) Was put on it after a nasty experience with Vioxx. I do lots of running, cycling, swimming, and just an all around fitness junkie. Aside from a cough when my HR gets to 152, and a bit of insomnia it has worked great.”

Dm · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2018

“I have been taking atenolol for 3 months. From about 3 hours after first dose, I noticed a weight gone off my chest and the tension in my neck and head. I take 25mg alongside of 5mg amlodipine . My Bp is constant at 115/62 .”

Scrippy · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 8, 2018

“On this I have found out that my feet turn almost blue if they get cold”

512707 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2018

“My doctor recommended a low dose of atenolol for high blood pressure (25mg once a day) and I was afraid to take it after reading reviews here! But I am happy to report that the drug is working great for me, bringing my blood pressure from borderline back into the normal range. I am not experiencing any side effects. I would recommend to a friend!”

Nikita · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2018

“The only drug that works for my high blood pressure I take 12.5mg per day. I tried norvasc and micardis but both not working to lower my blood pressure”

Bob April 14, 2018

“Insomnia. Severe depression. Sadness crave alcohol”

Sophie April 2, 2018

“My back, hurts all the time , it's hard for me to walk.My neighbor thought I was drunk, I never drink!I would feel like I was falling, Had too much pain, I just got off these pill, I'm still in pain, I'd get up in the morning, and all of a sudden, I was so tired and sleepy, so I'd go back to sleep, I felt like I was dying. Couldn't do much being so tired all the time, and feeling like I was falling, and drunk! Don't take this pill.”

Jake70 · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 6, 2018

“I'm 49, 6'2", 185lbs. and have been on Atenolol for about 10 years. I have a bi-cuspid aortic valve which has been stable over the years. The drug keeps my BP a consistent BP 112/70. This is the only drug I take for my condition. My cardiologist sold Atenolol to me as "heart conditioner". I am fairly active; I try to run a 5k every day (road or treadmill), lift weights several times a week and mountain bike whenever I can get it in. I do experience some common side effects such as occasional dizziness, 10lbs. extra weight (in spite of my exercise) I cannot lose and insomnia. I never liked taking Atenolol but I am starting to wonder about the long term side effects.”

Anonymous February 9, 2018

“I'm 23. One fine day I checked my bp and it was 146/104. No symptoms. After several readings throughout the day the average reading was the same. My mother was already on 50 mg per day of atenolol. She was worried and so I has tablet of 50 mg just in case heart attack don't show up. With no knowledge of abruptly stopping it, I skipped the next dose. And wow the days after that were like a ride to hell. It was like having a heart attack constantly for days. Although I checked with a doctor immediately and he put me on a lower dose but getting off that 1 dose of 50 mg was like surviving death every moment. Guys, seriously I don't know if this medicine works or not as I've been taking it for less than a week now. But one thing for sure, don't leave this medicine abruptly, once you are into the game, you've to play with rules. Damn it.”

Megan4414 January 30, 2018

“It worked great for my high BP but the diarrhea was horrible. I couldn't leave the house. The minute I quit taking it the diarrhea stopped but blood pressure shot up gain.”

Lisen December 28, 2017

“I'm a 46 year old woman. 130 pounds and 5.5. I exercise regularly. No other health issues. I was put on 25 mg Atenolol 8 years ago. Before then, I tried multiple BP medications, which all made me feel bad. Atenolol has been the answer for me! The only side effect is that I also got rid off my crippling migraines! Vomiting, calling sick. No more!!! My BP is perfect and I have no more migraines. Just occasional regular headaches like a normal person. It makes me drowsy so I take it at bedtime. ”

Sha00 December 9, 2017

“I was born with high blood pressure and a slight arrhythmia. I've been taking atenolol since I was a kid, as soon as it was medically safe for a kid to be on a beta blocker, so I've been on it for about twenty years now. It works great for me. Might make me a bit drowsy, but I take it at bedtime for that reason. Docs tried to take me off of it once because they worried about an interaction with albuterol for my asthma. Worst mistake of my life and I made them put me back on it. For those worried about the above interaction between atenolol and albuterol, I did some research using scholarly articles and medical journals. Atenolol is a selective beta inhibitor and doesn't affect the same betas that albuterol increases. They're okay together.”

Maineiacs · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 3, 2017

“Pros:Overall my experience is positive. Controlling a BP to below 110 for an aortic aneurysm. Cons: dependent on manufacturing for sure.one manufacturer left me exhausted, to low of a BP, and low heart rate.”