User Reviews for Atenolol to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 4)

Also known as: Tenormin

Atenolol Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Atenolol

53 year old woman December 7, 2011

“Caused severe dizziness upon standing and even when sitting at my desk. Mental disturbances such as severe blurred vision, causing nausea and vomiting.”

Anonymous October 15, 2011

“I have taken this medicine for ten years. 50mg at first then 100mg. Have suffered with rash on my arms, itching, light headedness, confusion since reduced to 50mg have noticed lightheadedness has decreased.”

AnnieAnn6962 September 28, 2011

“I am 49 yr old female. Have taken combination of atenolol/chlorothiazide 50/25 plus another one for 11 years. The past four years I have developed an unexplained itch (no outside rash) so I have to take an antihistamine everyday, muscle/joint pain so bad I take a pain pill for that. Swelling of hands and feet/ dangerously low Potassium levels. After reading over the side effects I took myself off it, I have changed doctors and hopefully can get on something better. I have been off it two weeks and I feel so good. No itching, no pain, no extra pills..blood pressure is up but that can be taken care of. I think it had built up in my system to a toxic level. It did the job, just added to many other issues after so many years of use. Good luck everyone.”

gabbygayle September 3, 2011

“I have used Atenolol for years, and it controls my blood pressure very well. One good side effect I found is it helps me not to be so shy in public situations i.e. I can read out loud in public without my voice shaking. I also can now be very opinionated, which might be a bad side effect for my friends and family!”

Pake's Girl August 4, 2011

“I've been using Atenolol for 20 years, not my favorite. I struggle with exhaustion, low blood pressure and weight gain. On the upside... my aortic aneurysm has remained stable and aortic replacement isn't necessary for now.”

fibrochickadee July 7, 2011

“I really like atenolol. It helps bring all of my numbers down but most importantly it brings my heart rate down a huge amount. My heart rate can get up to 165 when I'm resting. When I take my atenolol it goes between 70's and 60's so it helps quiet a bit. I've been on it for years now and haven't had any side effects. I would highly recommend it.”

Dormarie July 28, 2010

“Been taking Atenolol many years. I have an extremely difficult time keeping my weight down, bad metabolism. I needed to increase the amount to 50 mg to get a good blood pressure of 120/70. So now will probably gain weight. Will change the extra 25 mg Atenolol to something else soon. Wish I knew exactly what would work for the extra. I am writing this after reading all the helpful comments here.”

nostunk April 11, 2010

“I suffered with slightly elevated blood pressure and migraines for 12 to 15 years. After a trip to Mayo Clinic and being put on beta blockers my blood pressure was normal and no headaches. I have now been on Atenolol for 10 yrs or more with a total of 47 yrs on various blockers with minimal side effects. I don't believe Doctors use this treatment often enough for migraines.”

kevinfarmer1957 April 4, 2010

“I use atenolol as one of three medications now (along with Norvasc and Hydrochlorothiazide) and the combination is working well. Blood pressure ranges in the 130/80 range and lower. I need it this low since I am a diabetic.”

bigmutt April 2, 2010

“Taking Atenolol for 12 years, kept my BP in acceptable range (150/90) during all this time; suddenly BP went up to (170/120) every day, so I went to see Dr. who said Atenolol was "older treatment" and that much better drugs have come along since. He put me on hydrochlorothiazide/ losartan (Hyzaar) and BP went even higher. Now after 2 weeks on Hyzaar, my BP is 190/130 consistently and I want to go back to Atenolol but Dr. says to give it the full 30 days to work. ”

rabaq2 February 27, 2010

Tenormin (atenolol): “I just started this drug, noticed heart rate regulated ,and blood preasure and heart rate hasn't been this low in years, so far seems to be great. I am on 25mg - the lowest dose.”

Anonymous December 7, 2009

“I have been on atenolol for about 3 1/2 months. I am only 23 so my blood pressure wasn't too too high but for my age it was a concern to my doctor, so she had me start taking half of 25mg every night. It did help for my blood pressure. It also helped me get to sleep at night, since I have a slight insomnia problem. But I do have a problem with depression also and it seemed to make that a little worse. Since I started taking it I also went from about 130lbs to 146lbs in those few months and with dieting and exercise I still have not been able to get that weight to go away and it has also made me no longer have a sex drive.”

stressedout November 14, 2009

Tenormin (atenolol): “I am a 48 yr male and have been taking as directed 50mg day for 6 months, blood pressure now 125/80 and stable. I drink approximately 1 liter of whiskey every two days and notice no other side effects other than I cannot maintain an erection for as long as before taking this. I should mention that I've been drinking this amount of rye since I was 20yrs old and that this is the only medicine I take. ”

Anonymous October 19, 2009

“Due to unstable high blood pressure, have tried many brands of medicines which did not work with me. Only Atenolol is perfect for my blood pressure.”

Anonymous October 6, 2009

“I have been taking this medication for 8 years now and have not noticed any side-effects. My blood pressure has remained stable the entire time I have been on this medication.”

Anonymous September 30, 2009

Tenormin (atenolol): “I took this medication for about a year. Felt severely depressed. Retained fluid. Switched medical insurance which resulted in my seeing another doctor. He changed me from Tenormin to Accupril. After one month, my world changed. No longer hated to get out of the bed each morning. Could now wear my wedding band on my ring finger. Tenormin was the wrong medicine for me. Wrote a letter to my prior doctor to let her know of my experience.”

mark0890 August 9, 2009

“This medication works really well; I don't believe my dosage is high enough, because my heart rate goes up late at night making it hard for me to sleep.”

melony09 August 7, 2009

“I am a 38 year old female. Before taking atenolol I had high pulse and a fast heart beat (very scary feeling) also heart palpitations. I was a nervous wreck. I would wake in the morning with my heart pounding and out of breath. My doctor started me on atenolol 25mg about 2 weeks ago. I have never felt so normal. I can actually wake in morning and feel good. I am walking every day and on a strict diet with no problem. Thank goodness for atenolol.”

skywalker August 1, 2009

“I've been on atenolol for about 3 years and it is a wonderful blood pressure pill.”

Anonymous July 29, 2009

Tenormin (atenolol): “I was taking Tenormin for about 3 years before I had an episode of chest pain. After tests it was determined that I have a myocardial bridge. At that time, I asked the doctor to change from Tenormin to something else, as I had frequent strange dreams. I now take Tiazac, and while my blood pressure seems stable, I have spells of tiredness, migraines and less frequently than before, strange dreams.”

Murrayweigel July 16, 2009

“No problems on this medication. On it for three years now. My blood pressure has gotten better and better.”

penelopeme June 23, 2009

Tenormin (atenolol): “Was on this for about 6 years. Was dieting and exercising and lost about 57 lbs. My pulse rate dropped to about 48-60, had all kinds of heart tests, scary, did not find any issues for the heart thankfully but the atenolol was taking my pulse down too low. Switched to Lisinopril just today, pulse is already in the normal range.”

norel June 18, 2009

“I was prescribed atenolol for hypertension and high heart rate (12 mg, once daily), unless my heart rate gets down to 60 or below. It seems great, in that I am "calmer" or more relaxed; but the only thing I am wondering about is the slow weight gain. My diet is the same now as it was before when I started taking it. I am calling the physician to see if that may be why.”

ROSS DEGLORIA April 11, 2009

“Muscle pain and shaking on left side of body”

MomOfAandK March 14, 2009

“My blood pressure reduced significantly and quickly just days after first starting this medication. With two younger children and staying home all day with them, this medication is truly a lifesaver. I don't like taking pills however dedicating precious time to go on a diet and exercise was not an option.”