User Reviews for Losartan

Also known as: Cozaar

Losartan has an average rating of 4.6 out of 10 from a total of 493 ratings on Drugs.com. 28% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

High Blood Pressure
4.6
Diabetic Kidney Disease
8.8
Summary of Losartan reviews 4.6 493 reviews

Reviews for Losartan

Jp · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 8, 2019

Cozaar (losartan) for High Blood Pressure: “To anyone reading this I have been on all types of blood pressure medicine over the years, here's what I found out, nothing will cure it by taking a pill, if you want to overcome this, exercise sleep well and rest, turn off TV, phones ipads etc and get a phone that is not smart. Distance yourself from the world of drama and bad news, talk to wife or spouse have more sex, find natural ways of relaxing , the anxiety will leave over time, current doctors are not always on your side, if you are on no pill and still having issues it's your lifestyle, sell the house downsize, come up with a plan to minimize and reduce stress. Life is short, do it today”

Markus · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on 50 mg of Losartan for one week today and I feel as if I have gained 50 pounds. I have not actually gained any weight, but I feel as if I am carrying around 50 lbs of sandbags. I'm normally very active and upbeat, but now everything seems like such an effort. I feel all day as if I'd really rather just go back to bed. Others feel this way? A profound heaviness, sluggishness. BP is down about 10%.”

Rich · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 26, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I started taking Losartan HCZT 50/12.5 around two years ago. Never had anxiety issues before but after a year or so on the medication I started felling very nervous. So bad I had to take Zoloft for around 3 months. I did a little research and found that Losartan can make you hypoglycemic. The symptoms of low blood sugar are nervousness and shaky. I started drinking a sugar drink like soda when I felt that way and 20-30 minutes I would feel better. This all started because I started to diet to naturally lower my BP and probably made myself hypoglycemic. Please try it and let me know if it helps. It is scary when you get that nervousness feeling. The Doctors and pharmacist have no clue about the side affects. They blame it on you.....”

Anonymous January 6, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I am so thankful for those that have posted on this site about the side effects of losartan, namely, anxiety. My doctor had prescribed this drug for high blood pressure Over weeks and then months I started having feelings of nervousness. At first I thought it was due to life events. It got so bad that I am sure I had panic attacks. I then found this site, with anxiety being listed as a side effect. I went to see a psychiatrist, and said the feelings I was experiencing were anxiety. I went back to my original doctor and told him about it. He said he had never had a patient taking Losartan with anxiety as a side effect, but agreed that I go completely off any medication. Once I did that, I started feeling better within 3 days. After a month, I was almost back to feeling normal! This is a very serious side effect on this medication, and again, I thank those that have posted of your experiences. I hope to do the same for others with this post.”

ellzeena · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “WTH is wrong with the FDA???? This stuff is awful!! Why are doctors prescribing this stuff??? It lowered my BP while making me blind, lame, and in pain from joints!! SERIOUSLY??? Was on 1/2 a 25mg for 2 weeks, didn't do much to my BP, then went to the full 25mg pill and in TWO DAYS I can't see straight (blurry vision!), my hands hurt, my knee hurts, my shoulders hurt! WHAT?? So now I have to taper off this JUNK to avoid rebound!!! WHAT? DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG.”

JT · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 19, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Was put on losartan (green pill) back in 2018. Did not control BP, was switched to white pill, 50 mg. Started off with horrible headaches, stopped it for a few weeks and headaches went away. Started back, one night I woke up with HR of 165, had to call 911. 3 trips to ER for terrible GERD, tachycardia, horrible anxiety which I never had before. Insomnia, and horrible feelings of heaviness in head, chest, and legs. Lower legs feel like pins and needles, and numbness. I felt like it was the end of me. Stopped it 8 days ago, I do feel better, only lingering symptoms are dizziness and heavy legs, and just overall tiredness. When will these symptoms go away???NP and I are monitoring blood pressure, it has been fine hasn't spiked at all since I've stopped losartan. Horrible drug in which the doctors will not believe you when you say the drug causes these things. When will these side effects go away????????????”

MikeW · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 13, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “In my mid 50s, BP was 150/89. Dr prescribed Losartan 50 mg. BP dropped to 128/78. Now at the age of 65, BP had increased to 140/82. Started with a 100mg losartan dose. BP now 125/80. I read many comments about anxiety from this drug. I have never had anxiety, I have never had any side effects from this drug.”

PApal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I am a Physician Assistant with years long hypertension. I have been on various combinations of medications to manage my blood pressure. My current combination includes Losartan 50 mg twice/day. It’s effectiveness has been good but my blood pressure is affected by my work, sleep, my weight (normal) and exercise. But after six months on Losartan, I have not had anxiety that I connect to Losartan. But if you believe that anxiety began after starting Losartan, then ABSOLUTELY discuss it with your physician. To anyone who is started on Losartan AFTER a heart attack and has symptoms of anxiety, please keep in mind that anxiety or depression are not uncommon after a heart attack. These feelings are real and should also be discussed with your physician. Our minds are processing lots of information 24 hours/day. Sorting out the source of anxiety can be challenging and your medical team can help you.. There is no such thing as “one size ( or dose) fits all”.”

Ema393 February 6, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “In late December 2020, I got a my losartan 100mg refilled. Within days of taken, I started to nagging headaches, and my blood pressure increased dramatically. I couldn't help but wonder if I got the wrong medicine. I found that I was given the generic brand from Camber (egged shaped white pill) and I reviewed the brand history that I have gotten in the past, and this is the 1st time I have received it. I discussed with my doctor, and she provided a prescription for the the brand Aurobindo (egg shaped light green pill) that I had received in the past, but it was denied by insurance. I paid out of pocket to get it, and blood pressure went back to normal, and headaches stopped. I spoke with my pharmacist about my issues with the Camber brand, and he said that he has gotten several recent complaints about it. My takeaway, not all generics are created equal, and this a problem.”

HJ · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Took losartan 50mg for three days for high blood pressure. I had side effects of severe panic attacks, increased heart rate, blurred vision, severe insomnia, debilitating diarrhea, blood pressure actually read higher. My side effect symptoms were so intense I was bedridden. I’m shocked this medicine is legal and FDA approved. I don’t recommend anyone take this medication. For me it was ineffective and dangerous.”

D · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “My blood pressure (BP) at dr. office usually runs 140/78. My dr. put me on a water pill and I experienced low sodium blood levels so he took me off the water pill and put me on losartan potassium. I now am experiencing extreme exhaustion, bloating and a general feeling of anxiety. My heart skips beats and my BP has actually gone up higher than it ever has. I’ve decided the pill is poison to me and I took my last one this morning. I will not continue taking this as I feel like it’s killing me. Do these doctors even know what they’re doing? I feel poisoned. I’d rather have HBP than feel like this.”

Vibe · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking Losartan for 2 years now. I thought high blood pressure was a strong issue for me but now I realize blood pressure isn’t the problem. It was my eating habits and lack of exercise. Since I’ve been on losartan I've gained about 50 pounds, have had countless anxiety attacks and it has finally reached my breaking point. I am switching to a better medication that I can ween myself off of because losartan appears to be a dangerous medicine that doesn’t help my blood pressure, it only does things that make it worse in the long run”

Wolf24 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 14, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Losartan is a horrible drug. I have been on it with HCTZ for five years. Slowly began to have dizzy spells, mouth sores, leg cramps, dry mouth, chest pains, panic attacks, blurry vision, and extreme fatigue to the point by lunch I would have to leave work and go to bed. My doc checked me for everything and sent me to many specialists and found nothing wrong. I'm throwing this losartan out right now.”

Bab · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “My blood pressure is anxiety driven and I fight taking B P meds. I went to Dr. 2 weeks ago for a sinus infection and I could feel my bp go up sky high 3/4 of a mile away from office . My regular Dr. gave me a prescription for Losartin on 1/27/20. I started with 1/2 a pill from 25mg, I felt tired and I stopped it ,then after going to Dr. for sinus infection I started it back up again and my anxiety level is over the top in this 2 week period and I have headaches . I looked it up and found that is has to be this medicine . Going off of it . How does it get to market and the fact my Dr. knew I have anxiety and prescribed this for me is unreal .”

Ray · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 6, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Started losartan in August. Had anxiety attacks increasing in frequency up to Dec. Then was laid flat out, couldn't go to work, drive, head aches, foggy brain, nauseous for weeks, went to Dr he said see cardiologist, cardiologist said see ENT, ENT said see neurologist, neurologist said it might be migraines or losartan. It's been three days since I stopped taking it with my Dr approval. Head ache is almost gone but body feels sick. I've been taking it for 10 months. I feel like so awful. Was told it'll take some time for the effects to wear off because I've taken it so long. It's horrible. I'm praying I can return to my premedication health soon!!!”

Nancy · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “It's a nightmare. I'm only taking 50 mg, and the dizziness and diarrhea won't stop. My doctor said to just cut the pill in half. No way. I will have to figure out natural remedies for BP because this is absolutely unacceptable. Wow. how do things like this get on the market?”

Gaz February 7, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been on losartan for 3 months after a cardiac event and the drug has caused side effects of profound anxiety on me. Initially I started taking the drug early in the morning as prescribed and I would get anxiety attacks about 3-4 hours later. These were really doom and gloom. "oh I'm going to die kind of feelings". I realised what the issue was and moved the medication schedule to late at night so that I would have feelings whilst I was sleeping. However I have found that I have anxiety and insomnia due to this medication. I am talking to my doctor today to stop this medication. I believe it works for my blood pressure lowering, however it's hard to tell as I'm on another medication as well and I need to titrate myself to find out if this medication is effective. If you have symptoms of strong anxiety 3-4 hours after taking this medication this may be the cause. It is very unnerving and puts you into a very strange state of paranoia. Also have left chest muscle pain.”

A July 13, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Have tried nearly all the frontline drugs for hypertension, which averaged 155/110. Constant headaches and I am 26 years old. I have always had issues with many pharmaceuticals, but not this one. Other BP drugs I tried before Losartan: Amlodipine - CCB made me feel like my heart was racing and worsened CFS/ME. Headaches went with drop in BP. Constant urination waking me up in the night. Beta Blockers ruled out due to CFS/ME. Ramipril - ACE Inhibitor worked for a month or so then started having really bad palpitations, they pulled me off the ramipril after an ECG. Had an odd metallic taste in mouth. Losartan - ARB I Don't feel ANY side-effects whatsoever, bar the positive one of no more constant headaches/migraines, BP is a stable 120/83 average on 50mg taken once daily. Just plain lowering my blood pressure, I don't even think about it when I take it every morning. Reviews show kidney function so far is fine. All is well so far, and no regrets 5 months later.”

Inpain · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “After reading all these reviews it makes me mad when I read that the doctors said it's not the medication causing your side effects! How would they know when they've never taken them, they get paid for pushing these meds on us. They never even check to see what other medication you're on. Also most of the tablets interact with each other if your doctor says it's not the medication causing your side effects ask him how do you know when you never took them.”

joanna_al · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2012

Cozaar (losartan) for High Blood Pressure: “My expereince is not good. It did lower by blood pressure by 15 points, but the side effects are not worth it. It caused me to have problems focusing and concentrating on my work, memory loss, and increased stress and depression. I noticed the problems the first week I took the medicine. My boss also noticed the problems, which was confirmation that it was my new medicine. I went off the medicine and my brain is back to normal. I am a computer programmer, so my brain has to function at its best. I wouldn't take this medicine if your brain has to function at top performance or you have problems with stress/depression because it made my depression worse and I felt more stressed out for no reason.”

Tocomc · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 19, 2013

Cozaar (losartan) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been on Losartan with Atenolol for 6 1/2 years after triple bypass surgery. With proper eating and exercise, the results have been very good. My blood pressure is well maintained in the 120/130 over 64/76 range. I am 69 years old and find that low sodium diet and limited meats, along with walking exercise is an excellent combination. GET THE WEIGHT OFF AND START WALKING 30 to 40 minutes and cut the TV off!”

Mem February 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Losartan is a horrible drug, I've been on it for 9 months, feeling of anxiety, depression, bp fluctuate constantly, get mouth sores, throat problems, irregular heart beat, no energy most of the day , ask my doc to change meds no I'm feeling like normal again”

Big Danny · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Losartan for a week and a half gave me unfortunate side effects. I started getting severe anxiety, to the point where I couldn’t work my job. I had spells of extreme terror, could barely sleep. The last day I took it before stopping, I had a 30 minute episode where I sobbed uncontrollably and was shaking. Works wonders for some folks, but I unfortunately had a bad reaction to it,”

Ruth · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Rapid weight gain of 20 lbs within 2 months. (I was on 1100 calorie diet and walking 1 mile per day) Legs, hips and overall body pain so bad some days I couldn't walk. I really felt it was slowing killing me, I couldn't even function, wanted to just give up. So thought I'd take the chance and stop taking it. (Doctor claimed Losartan would not cause my problems) I took the chance and stopped Losartan and ALL pain and overall symptoms were gone within 2 days. Doctors need to read reviews from Patients and stop relying on company facts.”

Marcash · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Doctors say it's not possible but this med raised my blood pressure from 150/90 to 185/100 in a couple weeks. The higher the dose the higher it went, ended up in the ER. Stopped taking it and it came back down”