User Reviews for Losartan

Also known as: Cozaar

Learn more about Losartan.

Losartan Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 342 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Losartan to treat High Blood Pressure

"My blood pressure was pretty high, around 180/100, most of the time it's high. I was taking chlorthalidone by its self but I need to get my pressure low still so they added this at 50 MG so far I haven't noticed any big change. I'm at 50mg losartan and 25 chlorthalidone."

Jayk119 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on Losartan HCTZ 50mg once a day. Before I started it my blood pressure was 185/113. Now 120-130 range upper always 70-80 lower since starting the med. Honestly if you can get through the first few days of the side effects you'll be fine. The first few days I was sweating a lot, peeing a lot, got a little light headed once or twice, and very tired. I'm still sleepy but the majority of the other side effects let up pretty quickly. I'm not even peeing as much...and no sexual side effects whatsoever. I was afraid to take the med, I finally took the med, and I feel 100% percent better."

JoanOfArcsGhost August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started losartan 50mg I do know it takes time to work especially having blood pressure going as high as 158/113. The only side affect so far for me is dizziness which I had before taking this medication which doctor seems to think it is the blood pressure and vertigo making the dizziness. But do see some change in blood pressure after taking the medicine I can get my pressure down as low as 128/84 but throughout the day I get readings as high as 124/102. I hope this medicine will eventually get my pressure back down to normal range with in a couple of weeks but is being closely monitored by my doctor."

Jenn1982 August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Losartan is great for my blood pressure, but I almost went bald while taking it."

M. Mills (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking losartin I developed a loud ringing in my ears and severe depression. It is now 6 weeks since I stopped taking it and my hearing loss is getting worse. Could not hear the dial tone in the phone this morning. This drug is poison."

w/e August 9, 2017

"Excellent results."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine gave me horrible, horrible side effects. The panic attacks, rapid heart beat, and headaches were unbearable. I literally thought I was going to have to go to the hospital."

Nika G July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Losartan about 8 years ago. I didn't have any issues other than blood clots in my legs that began to reoccur after I began the medicine. I continually brought it up to my doctor over the years but he has dismissed it each time. Although I have a stress free life, I have constant heaviness in my chest making it difficult to breathe, chronic insomnia, and massive bruises that form on my leg, (without any incident of bumping them against anything). I am tired throughout the day, since I am not sleeping, and feel terrible. I have spikes in my blood pressure and am concerned because my doctor dismisses these issues."

Something wrong with Losartan (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On losartan 100mg. Would give it a negative rating if the scale allowed it. I am so upset -- hardly able to sleep, ringing in my ear. I find it an instrument of torture."

tasy (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cozaar (losartan): "Male, 53, regular exercise, healthy diet. Started losartan (Cozaar) 2 weeks ago due to high blood pressure. Dropped the blood pressure first day, but still is high - before taking BP was 160's / 110's , now it's 140's / 90's.Noticed frequent urination - like every 15 minutes. I canceled an international vacation because of this. Then came the anxiety at night. Never had anxiety this bad - ever. Finding myself locking the doors, checking to make sure they are locked multiple times. Slight confusion and short term memory problems. Yesterday bought a $1500 large screen tv that I really did not need and does not even fit on our tv stand. Numbness in one thumb. Dizziness - almost fell backwards off of stool at restaurant. Giving it one more week"

50's male with HBP (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on losartan for 2 years now, to begin with 25mg then 50mg and shortly after 100mg. The lower dose caused no side effects but as soon as it was increased I started to become lethargic and depressive. My thighs, knees and back ached to the point where it was difficult to walk on occasions. There was no great improvement in my BP with the higher dose so I reduced the dose to 50mg by cutting the 100mg tablets in two and there has been an improvement in the symptoms but it's not perfect. Back to the doctor I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started out ok on this after switching from Lisinopril which controlled BP to 120/80 then started getting excruciating bad spasms which I attribute to this then came the sudden dizzy spells. Blacked out behind the wheel and got in a car accident last month. Fortunately I was not injured and only minimal damage to my car. This stuff is scary but seems to control BP reasonably well."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Breathing difficulties, excessive bowel movements, memory loss (short term),weight gain, swelling ankles, coughing, difficulty sleeping. I want to be on something else"

Breamer June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Losartan for over a year, I started to have severe leg cramps in both legs.Could not find anything to help me. Doctor sent me to a neurology doctor who found no nerve problems, gave me pain pills. I read up on Losartan and noted it caused leg cramps. I took myself off and had no problems with cramps. Six months later I lost all muscle use in my body, lost 30 lbs instantly. Now do know what to do, it has now been a year and I just lost a kidney. This is a very very bad drug"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on reserpine (rauwolfia serpentina) for about 10 yrs.. It worked great for controlling BP and kept me in the 110/70 range. But in the last 2 yrs. I started having constant stomach pain which turned out to be a side effect and had to stop. Switched to lisinopril which caused a constant throat tickle, but worked. Switched to 50mg losartan a couple months ago and it didn't control BP that well. It drifted up to the 154/85 range with some higher spikes if I had coffee. The losartan also gave me a persistent dry cough. Now on 80 mg valsartan twice a day and so far not too impressed. BP continues to be higher than desired. It's effectiveness for my body is about the same as the losartan. May need to switch to a different class of meds"

W T June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Every single thing that is on the side affects menu happened to me. My stomach muscle felt like my ribs were choking it, and it went all the way to my back where my kidneys are, I couldn't get out of bed for 36 hours, and when I called the doctor, they never called back. Will be changing doctors. So now, I have to seek medical attention for my kidneys, which were never an issue, because no one bothered to do an allergy test on me for this medication. It was the worst 48 hours of my life. I know this medication works for other people, but please get tested before you take it, it only took one dose of 50mg's to give me this reaction."

Fraya (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Exacerbates existing vertigo symptoms"

Joemitch (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 53 year old woman who was prescribed Losartan for chronic high blood pressure (150/100 average). At first it did not seem to be helping, but knowing it takes time to work, I kept at it. Lo and behold, after 3 months I started registering better BP at my frequent doctor appointments, and they continued to improve. But...there's always a big but, right? I am having increasing issues with clogged sinuses every evening after taking it. I have never had allergies in life, but it feels like I do within 30 minutes after taking it. I use an Automatic Positive Airway Pressure (APAP) for severe Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), and the swelling in my sinuses turns me into a mouth breather - once I can get to sleep. Losartan does its job as advertised...but not without issues for me."

Badkittym (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking Losartan for over 4 years and have no noticeable side effects, with a constant 120/80 or lower BP. I'm 73 years of age and work out regularly, but have noticed following excercise, my pulse rate takes several hours to drop to my usual 70 beats P/m - but even during heavy cardiovascular work my BP remains stable."

Shotokan (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Normal BP is in the 160 range. The first medication for blood pressure they put me did not work. This is my second medication, doctors put me on 50mgs. My BP did not drop much after three months , the doctor moved me up to 100 mg. And it still does not work. BP still 160 to 180. I go back in next month Doctors a medication review."

Michaelkirk May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking Losartan 50mg for approximately 2.5 years. Within the last 8-months started getting abdominal pains which after a run would work its way down into my groin area and then either my left or right hip joint. The pain became overwhelming where I have recently stopped running. After cutting out all my medication for 4-days I am pain free. I did do a CAT Scan on my abdomen and hip with no findings. I did not put together that after 2.5 years I would start having a reaction to the medication. Getting ready to start running again and look into a new BP medication."

Athletic User (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did nothing to lower my blood pressure, and I am quite certain caused chronic pleural effusions which required going on 4 thoracentesis procedures. This is a condition where the pleural space around the lung, which already has fluid to help the lung glide easily in the chest, increases it's fluid to, well for me, TWO LITERS, on one side, and yesterday, 1.1 liters on the other. I can time my lung issues directly to the initiation of Losartan. I believe it altered the hydro-dynamics of my body , a common theme from Losartan users."

DUTCH68 May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed crippling stomach/abdominal pain and my doctor dismissed any connection to my medication. I consequently underwent several scans and tests which as well as being very costly to the NHS also took up valuable time which could have been spent on other patients. All results came back normal. It was purely accidental that I forgot to collect my prescription on a Friday and went on to enjoy a pain free weekend. I was put onto beta-blockers for my high blood pressure instead on which I have been fine, but interestingly the doctor still insisted that the Losartan would not have caused my symptoms !"

Maxine A. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I reviewed this drug 2 yrs ago after switching from Lisinopril because of intestinal angioedema. It reoccured for me with Losartan out if the blue after two years on this medicine. Did some digging and apparently it's fairly common if you've experienced it on Lisinopril to have it with losartan too. Bummer. It worked well for controlling my bp and helped me fall asleep quickly because I took it before bed. If you experience horrible abdominal pain on an ACE or ARB, could be intestinal angioedema. FYI"

Nckhella (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Female age 67. I presented at an eye exam (March 2016) with freakishly high BP. (266/177) That doctor sent me to a nearby clinic immediately after the exam. That physician prescribed 100Mg Losartan and 25 mg Metoprolol. A month later I had a heart attack. I now monitor my pressure twice daily at random times. Average (145/80) Four months ago, I became vegan. No meat, fish, dairy, eggs or oil. BP started plummeting about 2 weeks into it. About a month ago started noticing BP much lower than usual, (120/71) this is a good thing, but feeling faint after eating (90/66) is not. It seems that this is likely a postprandial issue since it doesn't happen if I snack throughout the day. Recently having issues with insomnia though."

Toota 95 April 4, 2017