User Reviews for Losartan

Also known as: Cozaar

Learn more about Losartan.

Losartan Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Losartan to treat High Blood Pressure

"Suffered for a year with leg exercise-induced pain, severe. They worked me up for knee damage, venous and arterial disease, spine problems, all for naught. Finally, in an unrelated change, I stopped taking Losartan. Leg pain was mostly gone in 3 days and totally gone in 10 days. So one doctor made me sick, 4 doctors failed to find the answer, but luck intervened on my behalf. Leg/back pain occurs in up to 10% of users, but 4 doctors never suggested this as a cause. If ours (USA) is the best medical system in the world, God help us!"

RJPKelly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works well to lower my bp, no side effects that I can see."

WSWombat (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't had any side effects taking this drug and it has worked like a charm for my high BP."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken this medication for one year and it seems to control my blood pressure very well however I have gained 30 lbs...also my hands and feet stay swollen. I walk 3 miles a day and try to watch what I eat and can't stop gaining"

CAS0037 October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My cardiologist added this drug to my other drugs I have been on and taking with no problems. Not even two days into taking Losartan I am experiencing side effects. I noticed I could not taste my oatmeal this morning, terrible whole body feeling of being so ill, stomach pains, sweating in my feet, blurred vision, not wanting to eat, wanting to throw up even after a sip of water, and feeling tired, dizzy, and buzzing in my ears to name a few.... and this is ONLY after two days of taking this med. I called my doctor and told them I do not want to and will NOT take this med anymore. Waiting for them to call me back right now.....had enough of these so called drugs that make me feel so absolutely horrible."

LinneyK (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 40 years old. My blood pressure was very high , from 149 - 204 scary high . My doctor put me on Losartin 100 mg once a day . The first week , I was a little dizzy , and sleepy . I'm fine now . After the first week , no side affects. It says don't drink on it. But I do , and I'm fine :) I drink wine , beer , etc."

LisaColl September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Other than random bouts of high blood pressure, I was a very healthy normal relatively active person. This medicine lowered my bp the first few days, felt relaxed and sleepy. I felt more thirsty, increased urination, burning urination for a few days. Then I noticed constipation and my bp spiking back up. Ringing in my ears. Week 3- depression and irrational emotions. I was not myself at all. I had a total body ache, fever of 100.8 which sent me home from work. When I went to an urgent care center the on the 2nd day of fever, sweating and chills and painful lymph nodes, my bp was just as high as the day I started the drug. My exam found nothing except blood in my urine. zero infections. I felt absolutely horrible. I quit the drug."

sunangel5009 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Went down with vertigo 11 months ago. Finally diagnosed a minor stroke causing vestibular neuritis. The treatment has been to try and lower BP so that minor arteries feeding the inner ear relax to get balance back. I was not quite hyper when tested by GP but well over when tested over 24 hours. First drug tried was Amlopidine (10mg) which did lower BP to 135/85. However this gave side effects (swollen ankles, breathlessness, poor sleep. The next was Riparin (2.5 mg) also gave side effects (dry cough, lack of energy, breathlessness). I am now on Losartan 50mg (for 5 days now) and again find some side effects, breathlessness, tiredness - not reduced BP which is (140/100). Needs to be increased but hopefully side effects will wear off?"

cgb1 September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Losartin for sudden high blood pressure a few months ago. I've noticed that my skin is having breakouts on my shoulders and chest, which is not normal for me at all. I've had this reaction on birth control before, so after thinking about it, the timing of this symptom with my starting this drug match up. I've also lately been having a terrible time sleeping, feeling unusually exhausted during the day and evening, and been having a cough with hacking up phlegm that won't go away. Also had unusual muscle pains. I don't know for sure if any of these things are related to this drug, but after reading the comments here, I see most are happening to other people too. I think I'm going to stop taking this and see what happens."

T-Pain (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My blood pressure was pretty high, around 180/100, most of the time it's high. I was taking chlorthalidone by its self but I need to get my pressure low still so they added this at 50 MG so far I haven't noticed any big change. I'm at 50mg losartan and 25 chlorthalidone."

Jayk119 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on Losartan HCTZ 50mg once a day. Before I started it my blood pressure was 185/113. Now 120-130 range upper always 70-80 lower since starting the med. Honestly if you can get through the first few days of the side effects you'll be fine. The first few days I was sweating a lot, peeing a lot, got a little light headed once or twice, and very tired. I'm still sleepy but the majority of the other side effects let up pretty quickly. I'm not even peeing as much...and no sexual side effects whatsoever. I was afraid to take the med, I finally took the med, and I feel 100% percent better."

JoanOfArcsGhost August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started losartan 50mg I do know it takes time to work especially having blood pressure going as high as 158/113. The only side affect so far for me is dizziness which I had before taking this medication which doctor seems to think it is the blood pressure and vertigo making the dizziness. But do see some change in blood pressure after taking the medicine I can get my pressure down as low as 128/84 but throughout the day I get readings as high as 124/102. I hope this medicine will eventually get my pressure back down to normal range with in a couple of weeks but is being closely monitored by my doctor."

Jenn1982 August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Losartan is great for my blood pressure, but I almost went bald while taking it."

M. Mills (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking losartin I developed a loud ringing in my ears and severe depression. It is now 6 weeks since I stopped taking it and my hearing loss is getting worse. Could not hear the dial tone in the phone this morning. This drug is poison."

w/e August 9, 2017

"Excellent results."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine gave me horrible, horrible side effects. The panic attacks, rapid heart beat, and headaches were unbearable. I literally thought I was going to have to go to the hospital."

Nika G July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Losartan about 8 years ago. I didn't have any issues other than blood clots in my legs that began to reoccur after I began the medicine. I continually brought it up to my doctor over the years but he has dismissed it each time. Although I have a stress free life, I have constant heaviness in my chest making it difficult to breathe, chronic insomnia, and massive bruises that form on my leg, (without any incident of bumping them against anything). I am tired throughout the day, since I am not sleeping, and feel terrible. I have spikes in my blood pressure and am concerned because my doctor dismisses these issues."

Something wrong with Losartan (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On losartan 100mg. Would give it a negative rating if the scale allowed it. I am so upset -- hardly able to sleep, ringing in my ear. I find it an instrument of torture."

tasy (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cozaar (losartan): "Male, 53, regular exercise, healthy diet. Started losartan (Cozaar) 2 weeks ago due to high blood pressure. Dropped the blood pressure first day, but still is high - before taking BP was 160's / 110's , now it's 140's / 90's.Noticed frequent urination - like every 15 minutes. I canceled an international vacation because of this. Then came the anxiety at night. Never had anxiety this bad - ever. Finding myself locking the doors, checking to make sure they are locked multiple times. Slight confusion and short term memory problems. Yesterday bought a $1500 large screen tv that I really did not need and does not even fit on our tv stand. Numbness in one thumb. Dizziness - almost fell backwards off of stool at restaurant. Giving it one more week"

50's male with HBP (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on losartan for 2 years now, to begin with 25mg then 50mg and shortly after 100mg. The lower dose caused no side effects but as soon as it was increased I started to become lethargic and depressive. My thighs, knees and back ached to the point where it was difficult to walk on occasions. There was no great improvement in my BP with the higher dose so I reduced the dose to 50mg by cutting the 100mg tablets in two and there has been an improvement in the symptoms but it's not perfect. Back to the doctor I guess."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started out ok on this after switching from Lisinopril which controlled BP to 120/80 then started getting excruciating bad spasms which I attribute to this then came the sudden dizzy spells. Blacked out behind the wheel and got in a car accident last month. Fortunately I was not injured and only minimal damage to my car. This stuff is scary but seems to control BP reasonably well."

Anonymous June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Breathing difficulties, excessive bowel movements, memory loss (short term),weight gain, swelling ankles, coughing, difficulty sleeping. I want to be on something else"

Breamer June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Losartan for over a year, I started to have severe leg cramps in both legs.Could not find anything to help me. Doctor sent me to a neurology doctor who found no nerve problems, gave me pain pills. I read up on Losartan and noted it caused leg cramps. I took myself off and had no problems with cramps. Six months later I lost all muscle use in my body, lost 30 lbs instantly. Now do know what to do, it has now been a year and I just lost a kidney. This is a very very bad drug"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on reserpine (rauwolfia serpentina) for about 10 yrs.. It worked great for controlling BP and kept me in the 110/70 range. But in the last 2 yrs. I started having constant stomach pain which turned out to be a side effect and had to stop. Switched to lisinopril which caused a constant throat tickle, but worked. Switched to 50mg losartan a couple months ago and it didn't control BP that well. It drifted up to the 154/85 range with some higher spikes if I had coffee. The losartan also gave me a persistent dry cough. Now on 80 mg valsartan twice a day and so far not too impressed. BP continues to be higher than desired. It's effectiveness for my body is about the same as the losartan. May need to switch to a different class of meds"

W T June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Every single thing that is on the side affects menu happened to me. My stomach muscle felt like my ribs were choking it, and it went all the way to my back where my kidneys are, I couldn't get out of bed for 36 hours, and when I called the doctor, they never called back. Will be changing doctors. So now, I have to seek medical attention for my kidneys, which were never an issue, because no one bothered to do an allergy test on me for this medication. It was the worst 48 hours of my life. I know this medication works for other people, but please get tested before you take it, it only took one dose of 50mg's to give me this reaction."

Fraya (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017