User Reviews for Losartan

Also known as: Cozaar

Learn more about Losartan.

Losartan Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 348 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Losartan to treat High Blood Pressure

"Itching, runny nose, but worse of all, weight gain, I might add I exercise 3-4 times per week, Low Impact High Intensity, I am a Pescatarian, I eat a healthy, well balanced meal and don't eat dairy and few carbs, how can one medicine cause nearly 21 lbs in weight gain so quickly, every effort to lose weight, nothing worked, I even did the 5:2 diet for three months and lost, not one inch!!!! Unbelievable! So I changed to Ramipril, apparently all ARB's cause weight gain, except 'Micardis' which can actually reduce weight, but! has been found to increase the risk of Lung cancer (Moderately) which is quite concerning, such a shame as I would have swapped onto that."

Thomas0776 March 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started to swell up, then I was not able to urinate for many hours at a time. The fluids kept building up in my legs and in my torso, and hands/arms. Finally, I and my wife said enough when I could not swallow and my face swelled up. Allergy medications helped me breath and reduced the swelling in my throat and face. I am now into my first month of still having fluids in my lungs and legs. Doctors are now trying to reduce the excess fluids with more blood pressure meds and lasix. Now just pockets of fluids in my lungs but the shortness of breath is still lingering. I would not recommend this medication for anyone who needs a diuretic as blood pressure medication, please do not allow your doctor to prescribe this for you."

Big Tom J March 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on losartan 50mg am and Metropolol 25pm. . BP Med works but I am getting side effects: confusion, Foggy, Frequent urination(stress incontinence), dizzy (drive time). Discontinued metropolol to atenolol (original Med) to 12.5 mg pm, low systolic . At wits end."

BPHouston (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am surprised by all the negative reviews. I'm a 23 year old with a BP of 150/100 at the doctor and 130-140/90-100 at home. After trying 3 different medications that gave me horrible side effects, Losartan is the only one I've tried where I've had virtually no side effects. I was honestly about to give up and lose all hope in blood pressure medicines. I've been on Losartan for a few weeks now and my blood pressure is consistently 120/80 or lower. I feel great other than a few unrelated issues."

23 yr High BP (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking Losartan for approximately 6 weeks. Does not control blood pressure. Body is not adapting to it to lower blood pressure. Will have to try a different medication."

MacAttack103 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Foggy/ blurred vision/ vertigo/ itchy skin/ muscle aches/ swollen ankles w/ kidney pain/ when on 50mg four times daily....much better when switched to 25 mg twice daily Bad Hives/ with Solco Labs/25mg bid....off now. The unfortunate issue is when you have to change pharmacies due to insurances you have, and the labs that make the drug aren't available at the new pharmacy. Different issues can pop up due to ingredient differences/different makers. This is what I have had to work with as well as adjusting dosage to alleviate side effects."

Forgettful March 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Losartan for several years, experienced very deep depression, to the point of suicide, loss of hearing, voice, numerous aching mostly in legs and a persistent dry cough but BP was still high, doctor finally decided it was white coat syndrome I stopped taking losartan 7 weeks ago, feel almost back to normal thank goodness best thing is my BP (which I take on home BP machine 3 or 4 times a day at different times) ranges from 106/69 to 123/79. Occasionally depending on what's going on it might rise to 142/85 but not very often. I am a 69 yr old female, very slight build."

chigley90 February 28, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a 66 year old female. I have not experienced any adverse symptoms with Losartan. I started with 50MG almost 5 years ago and a couple of weeks ago my GP reduced to 25MG. I believe exercising/walking and less stress (now retired) lowered my BP. I am sorry to hear so many people suffer such severe side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medication for high blood pressure and experience pounding and a high pitch ringing in my left ear."

Ms. D February 23, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've was prescribed losartan 50mg daily 4 weeks ago. Went to the Doctor today still getting high BP reading? Now what"

EileenG (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I like this drug. I had tried hydrochlorothiazide and my glucose and uric acid elevated. My doctor talked with me and put me on this instead. She started me on 25 mg. No adverse effects but nothing major happened in lowering BP. She moved me to 50 mg and better but still not consistent. Now on 100 mg and its consistently lower, seems to have relaxed my lungs and heart and I sleep better. No cough or other side effects."

Nancy from San Diego (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 46 yr old female athlete with a BMI of 21 and BP was 161/100 (go figure). I tried several medications and suffered side effects - e.g. amlodipine (swelling), lisinopril (coughing), valsartan (diarrhea). I feel great on 50 MG of losartan. No side effects."

virgojg (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have experienced a stuffed nose taking the blood pressure pill losartan"

Dell tin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug does what it was designed and intended to do. It is prescribed for mild or moderate high blood pressure. It was intended for very high or severe high blood pressure."

wra2017 February 8, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed this medication for elevated BP. I have been taking it for two months not and there is NO change whatsoever in my elevated BP."

Zivan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Muscle pain Max dosage does not bring my BP to a safe level Only staying with it because I've tried dozens of others with extreme side effects"

Rezrover (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"severe pain in knees and legs, making walking or kneeling almost impossible."

joeyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Brings bp right down to safe level. Feeling like about to faint if I get up too quickly. Other than that, great effectiveness, minimal side effects."

ansonicus (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Since starting Losartan 4 weeks ago I developed a terrible dry cough, pounding in my ears, rapid heart rate and confusion. This is definitely not for me."

Deana D January 10, 2017

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dizzy. Nauseous. Vomiting. Told me I had vertigo. Stopped taking drug and within days I feel better. Avoid avoid avoid."

JB78 January 10, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Is topped taking this medication after developing headaches and painful nasal dryness as well as a cough....My Dr. Prescribes losartan after Lisinopril caused a horrendous cough....So now I'm wondering, what next?"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 5, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Losarten for 15 days. I was on Valsarten before this. The Losarten brings down my blood pressure to 120/70 range. I take a dose in the morning. About 2-3 hrs after I take it I feel upper chest, neck and ear fullness. Over the next 3-4 hrs I feel light headed and I can't walk right. I feel fatigued. Around 4:30 to 5pm, I begin to hear and feel bounding and vibration in my ears and head. By 5pm to 6pm by blood pressure increases. The cardiologist tells me to take it at the same time everyday 12 hrs apart and I can't. I have to check my blood pressure first and sometimes I can't take it in the morning because my blood pressure is too low 90/60 and sometimes I can't wait the full 12 hrs to take it in the evening. Hair loss nausea"

AniCis December 15, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking Cozaar 50mg for over 15 YEARS. Started in my mid 20's. It's worked great for me keeping my BP at 120/85 steadily. I have not other medical conditions and the drug doesn't give me any side effects other than frequent urination. Recently lost some weight and my BP is now even a bit lower."

Marko1 December 15, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cozaar (losartan): "Male 56. I started taking Cozaar just 4 days ago, to add to my current regiment of diuretic and betablocker, as my BP was climbing. After only 4 days taking it, my BP went from 170/102 down to 129/69, and I am only on a 25 mg dose; smaller than even what the manufacturer recommends. This med works.....and fast. NO side effects for me."

musical78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In general, I feel better since I started talking losartan potassium for high BP. It seems to work well for me."

MRNSANDIEGO (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016