User Reviews for Losartan

Also known as: Cozaar

Learn more about Losartan.

Losartan Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 346 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Losartan to treat High Blood Pressure

"Have been taking Losartan for over 4 years and have no noticeable side effects, with a constant 120/80 or lower BP. I'm 73 years of age and work out regularly, but have noticed following excercise, my pulse rate takes several hours to drop to my usual 70 beats P/m - but even during heavy cardiovascular work my BP remains stable."

Shotokan (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Normal BP is in the 160 range. The first medication for blood pressure they put me did not work. This is my second medication, doctors put me on 50mgs. My BP did not drop much after three months , the doctor moved me up to 100 mg. And it still does not work. BP still 160 to 180. I go back in next month Doctors a medication review."

Michaelkirk May 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking Losartan 50mg for approximately 2.5 years. Within the last 8-months started getting abdominal pains which after a run would work its way down into my groin area and then either my left or right hip joint. The pain became overwhelming where I have recently stopped running. After cutting out all my medication for 4-days I am pain free. I did do a CAT Scan on my abdomen and hip with no findings. I did not put together that after 2.5 years I would start having a reaction to the medication. Getting ready to start running again and look into a new BP medication."

Athletic User (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Did nothing to lower my blood pressure, and I am quite certain caused chronic pleural effusions which required going on 4 thoracentesis procedures. This is a condition where the pleural space around the lung, which already has fluid to help the lung glide easily in the chest, increases it's fluid to, well for me, TWO LITERS, on one side, and yesterday, 1.1 liters on the other. I can time my lung issues directly to the initiation of Losartan. I believe it altered the hydro-dynamics of my body , a common theme from Losartan users."

DUTCH68 May 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I developed crippling stomach/abdominal pain and my doctor dismissed any connection to my medication. I consequently underwent several scans and tests which as well as being very costly to the NHS also took up valuable time which could have been spent on other patients. All results came back normal. It was purely accidental that I forgot to collect my prescription on a Friday and went on to enjoy a pain free weekend. I was put onto beta-blockers for my high blood pressure instead on which I have been fine, but interestingly the doctor still insisted that the Losartan would not have caused my symptoms !"

Maxine A. (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I reviewed this drug 2 yrs ago after switching from Lisinopril because of intestinal angioedema. It reoccured for me with Losartan out if the blue after two years on this medicine. Did some digging and apparently it's fairly common if you've experienced it on Lisinopril to have it with losartan too. Bummer. It worked well for controlling my bp and helped me fall asleep quickly because I took it before bed. If you experience horrible abdominal pain on an ACE or ARB, could be intestinal angioedema. FYI"

Nckhella (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Female age 67. I presented at an eye exam (March 2016) with freakishly high BP. (266/177) That doctor sent me to a nearby clinic immediately after the exam. That physician prescribed 100Mg Losartan and 25 mg Metoprolol. A month later I had a heart attack. I now monitor my pressure twice daily at random times. Average (145/80) Four months ago, I became vegan. No meat, fish, dairy, eggs or oil. BP started plummeting about 2 weeks into it. About a month ago started noticing BP much lower than usual, (120/71) this is a good thing, but feeling faint after eating (90/66) is not. It seems that this is likely a postprandial issue since it doesn't happen if I snack throughout the day. Recently having issues with insomnia though."

Toota 95 April 4, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take it for high blood pressure and have NO side effects but it does lower my blood pressure"

Vickie lynn (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 2, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking losartan since 1999. I went to the doctor for routine visit. I was going through a divorce and learning a new job. My BP was 200 plus over 100 plus. I had no idea it could get that high without causing a stroke. My doctor put me on 100/25MG. The only complaint I have is urinating quite often. I will take my medication since I don't want to have a stroke. There are many BP medicines out there but this is the only one I have ever taken."

Mburga March 30, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Itching, runny nose, but worse of all, weight gain, I might add I exercise 3-4 times per week, Low Impact High Intensity, I am a Pescatarian, I eat a healthy, well balanced meal and don't eat dairy and few carbs, how can one medicine cause nearly 21 lbs in weight gain so quickly, every effort to lose weight, nothing worked, I even did the 5:2 diet for three months and lost, not one inch!!!! Unbelievable! So I changed to Ramipril, apparently all ARB's cause weight gain, except 'Micardis' which can actually reduce weight, but! has been found to increase the risk of Lung cancer (Moderately) which is quite concerning, such a shame as I would have swapped onto that."

Thomas0776 March 18, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started to swell up, then I was not able to urinate for many hours at a time. The fluids kept building up in my legs and in my torso, and hands/arms. Finally, I and my wife said enough when I could not swallow and my face swelled up. Allergy medications helped me breath and reduced the swelling in my throat and face. I am now into my first month of still having fluids in my lungs and legs. Doctors are now trying to reduce the excess fluids with more blood pressure meds and lasix. Now just pockets of fluids in my lungs but the shortness of breath is still lingering. I would not recommend this medication for anyone who needs a diuretic as blood pressure medication, please do not allow your doctor to prescribe this for you."

Big Tom J March 14, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on losartan 50mg am and Metropolol 25pm. . BP Med works but I am getting side effects: confusion, Foggy, Frequent urination(stress incontinence), dizzy (drive time). Discontinued metropolol to atenolol (original Med) to 12.5 mg pm, low systolic . At wits end."

BPHouston (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am surprised by all the negative reviews. I'm a 23 year old with a BP of 150/100 at the doctor and 130-140/90-100 at home. After trying 3 different medications that gave me horrible side effects, Losartan is the only one I've tried where I've had virtually no side effects. I was honestly about to give up and lose all hope in blood pressure medicines. I've been on Losartan for a few weeks now and my blood pressure is consistently 120/80 or lower. I feel great other than a few unrelated issues."

23 yr High BP (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking Losartan for approximately 6 weeks. Does not control blood pressure. Body is not adapting to it to lower blood pressure. Will have to try a different medication."

MacAttack103 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Foggy/ blurred vision/ vertigo/ itchy skin/ muscle aches/ swollen ankles w/ kidney pain/ when on 50mg four times daily....much better when switched to 25 mg twice daily Bad Hives/ with Solco Labs/25mg bid....off now. The unfortunate issue is when you have to change pharmacies due to insurances you have, and the labs that make the drug aren't available at the new pharmacy. Different issues can pop up due to ingredient differences/different makers. This is what I have had to work with as well as adjusting dosage to alleviate side effects."

Forgettful March 5, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Losartan for several years, experienced very deep depression, to the point of suicide, loss of hearing, voice, numerous aching mostly in legs and a persistent dry cough but BP was still high, doctor finally decided it was white coat syndrome I stopped taking losartan 7 weeks ago, feel almost back to normal thank goodness best thing is my BP (which I take on home BP machine 3 or 4 times a day at different times) ranges from 106/69 to 123/79. Occasionally depending on what's going on it might rise to 142/85 but not very often. I am a 69 yr old female, very slight build."

chigley90 February 28, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a 66 year old female. I have not experienced any adverse symptoms with Losartan. I started with 50MG almost 5 years ago and a couple of weeks ago my GP reduced to 25MG. I believe exercising/walking and less stress (now retired) lowered my BP. I am sorry to hear so many people suffer such severe side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this medication for high blood pressure and experience pounding and a high pitch ringing in my left ear."

Ms. D February 23, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've was prescribed losartan 50mg daily 4 weeks ago. Went to the Doctor today still getting high BP reading? Now what"

EileenG (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I like this drug. I had tried hydrochlorothiazide and my glucose and uric acid elevated. My doctor talked with me and put me on this instead. She started me on 25 mg. No adverse effects but nothing major happened in lowering BP. She moved me to 50 mg and better but still not consistent. Now on 100 mg and its consistently lower, seems to have relaxed my lungs and heart and I sleep better. No cough or other side effects."

Nancy from San Diego (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 46 yr old female athlete with a BMI of 21 and BP was 161/100 (go figure). I tried several medications and suffered side effects - e.g. amlodipine (swelling), lisinopril (coughing), valsartan (diarrhea). I feel great on 50 MG of losartan. No side effects."

virgojg (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have experienced a stuffed nose taking the blood pressure pill losartan"

Dell tin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug does what it was designed and intended to do. It is prescribed for mild or moderate high blood pressure. It was intended for very high or severe high blood pressure."

wra2017 February 8, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed this medication for elevated BP. I have been taking it for two months not and there is NO change whatsoever in my elevated BP."

Zivan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Muscle pain Max dosage does not bring my BP to a safe level Only staying with it because I've tried dozens of others with extreme side effects"

Rezrover (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 19, 2017