User Reviews for Olmesartan

High Blood Pressure
7.2

Summary of Olmesartan reviews 7.3 139 reviews

Reviews for Olmesartan

For High Blood Pressure: "Olmesartan has been one of my daily BP meds for about 15 yrs at 40 mg per day. Stopped taking it a week ago cold turkey and feel loads better with no aches and pains or blocked nasal passages and feeling I have flu all the time. I think I have suffered all the side effects possible which have got worst with time. I also take Atenolol, Amlodapine, Doxazosin and am 75 yrs old in June."

Timson (taken for 10 years or more) May 2, 2019

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Benicar should have been recalled in 2013 when the first signs of problems occurred. I see they settled the law suit but what about the ones with the stomach issues or maybe cancer..???"

Lmh April 22, 2019

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Benicar was not a good medication for me. I experienced awful side effects. Stiffing of the body, very painful joint pain most at night, leg pain, daily stomach pains (thought I had cancer), chest pains, diarrhea, bloating, difficulty in walking, could barely walk a block without getting out of breathe and needed an inhaler, I had swelling of tongue, face, feet, weight gain and some depression due to dealing with all these issues. One day after seeing my reflection in a large window at work, I was shocked to see how hunched I was and full off pain. I was never like this and how did this happen? I started to believe I must be ageing. I realized the only change in life was this medication and insisted it switched. Once removed the critical side effects stopped except with ongoing digestive issues."

Angel (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 24, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I am 54 Years old male, I have been in an out of hospital for the last 4 years, I have tried I think every drug for high BP. The medicines and doctors are not perfect as they think they are. I recently did a test to see if it was the olmesartan, I stopped it cold turkey and like many of you - yes I feel better, but even stranger is that my bp went down and flu like feelings gone"

Barry John (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 17, 2019

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking benicar 40 mg and amlodipine 5 mg for 2 weeks. BP is slowly dropping but I'm having erection problems...I'm thinking that it is the amlodipine because I've have that problem with it before. Remember guys any diuretic is likely to cause impotence in men so if it has hctz behind it...it's a diuretic. I'm going to just stop taking the amlodipine and see it that works"

Dre (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "The olmesartan side effect was I Had inflammation in my throat so that I had to continually suck on cough drops to stop coughing. My head felt like I had a cold and I did not."

Bill February 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "62 yr old woman. Took brand name Benicar for several years it did control my BP but I'm very nearly bald, every joint I have is painful, tinnitus....all of this after I began Benicar. My insurance will not cover brand anymore was changed to generic from Alembic Pharma last yr not as good a control as brand but still worked now can't get it & was changed in January to generic from Glenmark Pharm now my lower blood pressure number won't go below 90!"

Lene (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2019

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Ended up in ER had taken generic form Olmesartan 20mgms every night at bed time for 3 weeks. I felt ok until one early evening I was out felt weak nauseated, and actually fainted while sitting down first time ever in my life , luckily med staff were near. I went to ER and BP recorded very low 60 over.? Blood work showed kidney function impaired , very frightening and traumatic for my family to see."

Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I started Olmesartan 5 days ago after my losartan/hctz was recalled. I took the drug first thing in the morning. By afternoon, I had a significant feeling of tightness around my upper chest/lower neck area. I woke up during the night with shortness of breath and tightness in my chest. I felt like I couldn’t expand my lungs nor clear the air from them on exhale. I first thought I was having a heart attack, though I had no other symptoms. I immediately sought medical treatment. My heart was fine. I had no other respiratory symptoms such as wheezing or strider which could indicate bronchitis, Asthma, or anaphylactic reaction. When I repeated that I was just started on Olmesartan, the doctor researched it and found that this medication causes bronchospasm as a COMMON side effect. Needless to say, I trashed the bottle. Please make sure you see a doc if you have symptoms like these. Don’t stop your meds, etc."

BassAssassin (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "When I first took this med (olmasartan plus diuretic) I was fine. Now ten yrs older I'm now suffering terrible side effects, painful muscles, joints skin rash, tinnitus, shaky, trembly feeling, anxiety and cramps. My doctor doesn't believe me ...and I am afraid to stop taking them"

Cobra (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 11, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "It took 4 years to find the right BP med for me and this one works great. I have been on it for over 8 years now. It is not a common med so the pharmacy has to order it for me which takes a day. My doctor said this is primarily for African Americans which is why it is not a common drug. I don't understand all that but who cares it works for me. Ask your doctor about it if you can't find the right one for you."

Bozo-Skip (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 1, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've had uncontrolled high blood pressure for years. I was taking or had taken multitudes of meds for it. Diuretics, beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, etc. Finally benicar was tried and wow...normal blood pressure for the 1st time in 20 years! I don't get the side effects like many here either. I'm still taking my diuretics and B-blocker as well, and switched to the generic version of olmesartan (insurance). For me, Benicar (olmesartan) is a miracle drug."

Mike (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Benicar for years and the generic more recently. It does control my BP but the side effects have gotten so much worse over time. Started with a scratchy throat, moved to an irritating cough and now watery frequent bowel movements and a lot of post nasal drip and awful phlegm at night which results in vomiting. I am just now realizing that the diarrhea is probably caused by the rx. My problem is I have tried so many different meds and this is the only one that works and am scared to start all over trying different meds."

Connie (taken for 10 years or more) September 9, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking this for about a month. I started getting nasal congestion and a ear ache and swelling , I was thinking I just had a sinus infection I tried everything to get rid of it. One day I missed a dose and I felt better that day and the next day I started taking it again and all of a sudden my symptoms came back I’m done with this medicine . I’m hope this will help someone else in the future. It’s hard to find you the right one that works for you."

Kob September 2, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Have taken Benicar for 10 years or so. Blood pressure around 123/70. When forced by insurance to take generic, now 156/89. In the past, I got name brand with $42.00 a month co-pay. In order to get name brand now my co-pay would be around $290.00 a month. Outrageous! Switching to something else."

Lola July 20, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on olmesartan by a fill in doctor 10 years ago. When asked why as my BP was always good. I lost my son so stress was high. Basically I decided as they changed how it is dispensed with the benicar given monthly only and HCT (hydrochlorathiazide) given 90 days. I have been busy after hurricane and had run out of the benicar and I noticed a big difference 2 days later and now 6 days later...my pain and fatigue are waning and swelling is going down. I decided to look up risks by stopping, which was just delaying going in for refill of new BP meds. My doctor had told me a few years ago when I asked if I really needed this his response was it is good to take anyway as we get older. That wasn't a good response anyway. I just turned 61. I have daily stressors but reading the side effects on here ...its me in a nutshell. I'm shocked this medication is so harmful."

Jude (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Reliably moved me from untreated BP of 143/91 to 116/76"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "It help control my blood pressure but the side effects were terrible leg spasms and cramps."

KimRN (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I stayed on 10mg most of the time. For weeks it worked though I felt brain fog throughout the day, then headaches that intensified over time. I woke up every night abruptly. Depression, blurred vision, cognitive problems, vertigo, loss of equilibrium, lethargy, chest pains, anxiety, stomach aches, brain zaps... It was like being at the gates of death. This drug made my life miserable, and the dr that prescribed it just didn't believe me. I thought I was dying. One day I decided to skip a dose. The next day all of the symptoms were gone! It's been now five days since I stopped this deadly poison and feel stronger every day. I also realized the company that makes it is dealing with multiple lawsuits about all the harm its caused many people. This is scary stuff. Needless to say I switched drs and threw away this poison. If you are feeling miserable while taking olmesartan, try skipping one day. You will be surprised. Love to all, and hope we can control bp in more natural and healthy ways."

Miguel (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have just turned 66 years old 4/30/18. I've have been taking Benicar HCT for 6 months. Have been very sick with persistent uncontrollable diarrhea (have it right after eating anything), extreme shortness of breath (so bad that I had a lung scan done...was negative), dizziness (had to stand slowly and in place until stabilized), debilitating fatigue (couldn’t hold out to do anything, taking a bath was so tiring ) muscle/joint pain (hard to walk...walked with limp), nausea (had to take antinausea medication frequently), sleeping problems (couldn’t stay awake and sometimes problems falling asleep and staying asleep), weight gain (approximately 20 pounds in 6 months), and bloating (felt full all the time). But no more, I stopped taking it on my own without doctor approval after my research of the side effects. Been off for 2 days and remarkable difference."

Becky (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Been on beta blockers, clonidine, lisinipril over the last year. The beta blockers an I don't get along. I actually had higher bp over time on them. Clonidine is super at reducing pressure, but are intolerable daily. Benicar for me is fantastic. No side effects and keeps pressure in check at 20mg once a day. I demanded the real thing as generic beta blockers caused me problems. I do not trust generic quality. So far, Benicar is the best drug I can imagine for blood pressure patients."

Vike (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Benicar for 12 years and was switched to a generic last January, 2017. I could tell no difference until they switched the generic to Olmesartan in May, 2017. My blood pressure was up 10-15 points and I experienced light headiness to the point of blacking out twice after taking for 10 days. My insurance will not pay for Benicar. I've tried all 5 of the medications my insurance will pay for. My doctor was about to add a third pill to the medication just to control my blood pressure. I'm running out of options."

Ann (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Even at 40 mg daily dosage the drop in the blood pressure is not significant."

Js (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Benicar 20/12.5 for 10 years and my blood pressure has been normal 110/65. I had to switch to the generic be cause of insurance reasons and I experienced all kinds of side effects: dizziness, cough, and higher blood pressure. It is not the same."

Reese (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effect of increased skeletal and muscle aches and pain most noticeable within 4 hours of taking medication"

Pat (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2018