User Reviews for Olmesartan

6.5

3 reviews
Summary of Olmesartan reviews 7.7 122 reviews

Reviews for Olmesartan

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Been on beta blockers, clonidine, lisinipril over the last year. The beta blockers an I don't get along. I actually had higher bp over time on them. Clonidine is super at reducing pressure, but are intolerable daily. Benicar for me is fantastic. No side effects and keeps pressure in check at 20mg once a day. I demanded the real thing as generic beta blockers caused me problems. I do not trust generic quality. So far, Benicar is the best drug I can imagine for blood pressure patients."

Vike (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Benicar for 12 years and was switched to a generic last January, 2017. I could tell no difference until they switched the generic to Olmesartan in May, 2017. My blood pressure was up 10-15 points and I experienced light headiness to the point of blacking out twice after taking for 10 days. My insurance will not pay for Benicar. I've tried all 5 of the medications my insurance will pay for. My doctor was about to add a third pill to the medication just to control my blood pressure. I'm running out of options."

Ann (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Even at 40 mg daily dosage the drop in the blood pressure is not significant."

Js (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Benicar 20/12.5 for 10 years and my blood pressure has been normal 110/65. I had to switch to the generic be cause of insurance reasons and I experienced all kinds of side effects: dizziness, cough, and higher blood pressure. It is not the same."

Reese (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effect of increased skeletal and muscle aches and pain most noticeable within 4 hours of taking medication"

Pat (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Benicar kept my HBP down to normal for years. Aside from fatigue and subsequent weight gain I felt no ill effects as long as I took it at bedtime. However now that the generic form is being pushed by the pharmacies my HBP is back with a vengence. The systolic number went from years at 123 to 190 in 2 months. The worthless generic substitute is Olmesartan Medoxomil! This experience has totally changed my opinion about generic drugs and where they are made. I reported this to the FDA because I was on the verge of having a stroke because of this generic Benicar."

Jim (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I take 20mg, 3x/day and it seems to work even better than amlodipine at 20 mg/day for me. I haven't had a migraine in weeks. Great medication. Thinking about trying to switch to telmisartan eventually for its other health benefits."

hintonmj (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I have taken both Olmesartan (Benicar) and Losartan (generic Angiotensin II receptor antagonists) to replace earlier ACE Inhibitor drugs, which invariably caused a chronic cough for me. I went off Benicar in 2015 because my insurance designated it as non-preferred and it was extremely expensive, but I have recently discovered that it is now available as a generic. Olmesartan has given me better and more stable control of moderately elevated blood pressure than Losartan."

Oldionus (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I’m a medical doctor and I was tested to show high BP. I ignored it for many years till I began to get the occasional headache and with a lot of coffee, I would experience near panic attacks. Then I was put on Olmesartan by the cardiologist at 160/110 and within minutes, my blood pressure in under control at a very low dose as I have reazlised that I am exquisitely sensitive to Olemsartan even at 20mg. So I am taking 10 mg Olmesartan with the initial lightheadedness at every dose administration. After 15 minutes the symptoms pass and I am in control for a day and a half. So I have my portable BP instrument with me OMRON and my BP is 120/85 most times though it can fluctuate. But I dose myself every alternate day and It’s GREAT!"

Psysword (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "Suffered severe crippling migraines on a regular basis, doctor put me on Olmesartan 40mg 3 times a day, and the migraines gradually went away completely. Tapered off, the migraines came back. Started back on, migraines went away again. I do not have high bloodpressure, and taking Olmesartan have only lowered my blood pressure slightly. Been on Olmesartan now for 4 years."

Maja1 September 3, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Although the Benicar 40 mg has been working well, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the excessive tiredness. Tried taking it at 8:00 last night, slept very well for 7 hours, but still feeling sleepy this morning"

Great reviewer (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Benicar (olmesartan) for Migraine Prevention: "Took it for about a year for migraines after trying several different other treatments. Stopped migraines and tapered off the drug and no more headaches, that was over ten years ago and still don't have migraines."

ControlPro August 26, 2017

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Benicar HCT 20mg/12.5mg for 3 week now this medicine has some bad side effects I've experienced light headed, dizziness, cough feel like my chest feel tight sometime muscle aches tired all the time..does anybody else experience these side effects..when you tell your doctor what your experience they thinks it's not the medicine we know our bodies.."

Anonymous August 13, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Olmesartan gets my BP down but with downsides - sometimes systolic and diastolic decrease at different rates and my body has difficulty adjusting back to normal. I have experienced all of the following side effects: elevated heart rate, chest pain, vertigo, breathlessness during exercise , light headedness. I am looking for an alternative with less side effects. The best advice I can give is that you should first get yourself a good BP monitor. I got myself an OMRON BP652 which is excellent. I chose a wrist monitor because it is small, portable and easy to use. You will benefit by finding your own optimal dosage (40mg/day was way too much for me) Effectiveness 9/10; Side effects 3/10 Overall 6/10"

Budsy(part2) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been using Olmesartan for 9 months. I am a 63 year old male with no prior medical history. My lifestyle has always been healthy (intake-wise) but increasingly sedentary and stressful and I think these factors are what exacerbated my BP. Otherwise I was healthy: non-smoker, low alcohol, average weight etc. My wife finally convinced me to get a routine medical check-up (last check-up approx. 5 or 6 years previously) and the result was the doctor discovered high BP ( Systolic 190, Diastolic I can’t remember – but the message was clear – my BP was dangerously high). So the doctor prescribed Olmetec 40mg, once-daily at bed-time - and arranged a follow up appointment for a fortnight later. I went home and immediately ordered a BP monitor"

Budsy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I took Benicar for 12 years or more and went through the leg cramps etc. but it worked well on my BP. I would get kidney infections occasionally but didn't know why. One day a few years ago I came down with painful gout. My new doctor took me off Benicar right away. She said it contributed to my gout flare ups because it affected my kidneys. I was so angry because I didn't know and hadn't read up on it. Have your kidneys check regularly while taking this med. Now through diet and another BP med I do well with the Gout, however I wish I hadn't taken Benicar so long and had it affect my kidneys. Be careful!"

Kissie March 24, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effects, refux, heartburn, rapid weight gain, dizziness, generalised osteoarthritis pain, restless legs and leg pain, insomnia, urinary tract infection, blurred vision, tiredness, silent migraine, nausea, heavy legs and body after taking in evening, aspiration of stomach contents, reflux while asleep scary... Lots of side effects, going to GP to have change of meds, feel terrible with all these side effects.. Blood pressure lowered as a result on a positive note..."

Claire Clarke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking this med 15 years ago. Have had to take a reflux tablet too since commencing this but unsure if it was related. All in all has kept my Bp in normal range. Just starting to get slight raises now in Bp after 15 years."

Healthy hat (taken for 10 years or more) November 17, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I took 20 MG Benicar as an alternative to Lisinopril which caused a cough. With Benicar, the cough went away after a few weeks but a new side effect took its place: I would wake up in the middle of the night with a sore chest and upper back pain. Its a shame because during the day, Benicar had no apparent side effect and kept BP at 128/79."

Chuckiep (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I've had high Bp for 20 years and controlled it with exercise, karate, but finally went to Dr with buzzing in my ears, my Bp was 260/160. Olmetec brought it down to 120/70 in a few days, after a workout my Bp is 90/60. I've been taking it for a month now and feel so relaxed, like chilled out all the time. But arms and legs feel like lead when working out and I tire real easy but I knew taking Bp meds would do this, but at 260/160, that was too risky. Many comments here I agree, sex drive goes to zero, feeling of lethargy but the drug works. I did try coversyl first and that had absolutely no affect on me."

TonyLloyd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Came across Olmesartan on this site and impressed by its high rating. Had been on Amlodipine and Ramipril, both caused various side effects including frequent urination, cystitis, itchy scalp and very upsetting thinning my hair to the front top of my head. Also facial flushing, pounding head, sleeping badly with vivid dreaming. Apart from not Iowering my blood pressure, 165/80 I seemed to be getting every side effect and was despairing that this was it for the rest of my life. I spoke with my GP who was unaware of Olmesartan, I think due to the fact that its a more expensive drug, she reluctantly prescribed it for me. Its been a month now my BP averages 115 to 125/60 no side effects apart from slight light headedness. Got my life back !"

Marchmont (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Had active life style was able to do 40-50 min tread mill workout (Run/Walk) and was able to participate in outdoor soccer. Lost gf, grandmother died , horrible boss in new job in 3 month = 189/125 diagnosed accidentally First 20mg (85% effective) , then 40 mg worked Blood pressure: Normal , weight gain 30 pound added Other impacts Cramps while playing soccer. Enhanced sensation of muscle fatigue (post hitting ball) or muscle in body. Next day feel effects. Stopped running / bike- ride rowing ok Flaky Rash on elbows dime size /now double (Use moisturizer / Nivea aftershave on it works). Weight gain depression 3 hours after taking Meds, lazy Potassium sports drink helped muscle recovery feel good (Doctor say don't take potassium"

blue_s_k (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I give this medicine a 5 because it does lower your blood pressure but unfortunately the side effects are pretty bad. I was diagnosed with hypertension at 25 and before benicar I never had a dizzy spell in my life. Now dizzy spells are just part of life as well as fatigue and breathing issues. It's not all the time but a few times a week I just feel unwell. I think this is a good medicine for an older person who just needs to get the numbers down but it's terrible for a young active person."

Mike 1348 July 24, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was taking a different pill at first but my doctor decided it wasn't working to lower my pressure enough, so they said we are going to try you on this one. I took one the next day since I had already taken my old pill. The first day the pill did lower my blood pressure with no problems. The second day I took it my pressure was still at a good number. I did not later when I tried to sleep I couldn't. Each time I would fall asleep it was hard for me to breath and a few times that I woke up my heart was beating differently and I had some pain in my chest. I won't be taking this medication anymore. I will lower it the natural way by watching what I eat, walking and with God's help I will be just fine."

God's Child (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan) for High Blood Pressure: "This is the worst medication I have ever taken! It was poison to me! Severe lower back pain so bad had to walk with 2 canes! Thought it was sciatica , had extreme bladder pain, headaches , burning itching feet, severe , constipation , stomach pain so bad I ended up in emergency room! And ended up with upper respitory infection, My primary care took me off this garbage , all symptoms seem to be going away! Just a warning before you take this poison ask questions and read up on it!!!!!"

Bad poison June 24, 2016