User Reviews for Losartan to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 2)

Also known as: Cozaar

Losartan Rating Summary

4.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Losartan

Tinux · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

“I was diagnosed with high BP and gout in 2016, took diet and exercise route instead of med until Aug 2019, when out of the blue I ended up with chest pain, breathlessness. My BP was 187/107 then was forced to go on Amlodipine and then my list of strange side effect that turned me to Zombie. My GP changed it to Losartan 25mg my BP went below 140 and was hoping for it to go to 120/80 so we raised the dosages to 50 mg , now my BP shoot up to 165/97 and one time my heart rate went as low as 34 with bp of 156/145 yes 145 dia. But no side effect except some lack of occasional lack of sleep. Looks like I need to review the med again.”

huskertaz · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2020

“I have been on losartan since mid 2016. My Cardiologist lets me tailor the dosage to my needs. I usually take between 25-50 mg daily in the morning. Around the end of 2019 refilled RX. Noticed that the pills are white now instead of the blue or green. I now have to take 50-100 mg to get any BP reduction. And now can't sleep at night. Was a side effect before when on higher doses. So Asked the Pharmacist whats the story . They haven't heard of anything. Told the new GP and she didn't know anything about it. Any ideas?”

Every Day Can Be a Great Day · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

“Early on, but really bad anxiety. To the truly lovely 71-year old lady who’s bp was 145/82, I know 2 very very well thought of cardiologists who are friends - very close honest friends. They both say it’s highly questionable to make a 71-year old at 145/82 take ANY bp med. Their advice would be : You can live your life to the fullest if you don’t take ANY bp meds. If you trust your cardiologist, then you should do what he/she says. But if you kinda 50 - 50 on him/her then I’d re-think taking any drugs at all,”

WOP · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

“I was on lisinopril for 3 weeks to control my blood pressure. During that time, my BP dropped but I got an annoying dry cough and I lost 10 pounds. I have been on losartan for 1 week. My BP is great but I still have a bad cough and now both shoulders are very sore.”

Borny · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 9, 2020

“I had been on losartan 50 mg/day in AM (mfg. unknown) for over 7 years. with bp of around 125-135\68-72. A few months back my pharmacy started dispensing the Camber brand of Losartan and my bp went up to roughly 145/75, so my doctor eight days ago increased the dose to 100 mg daily in AM. My BP has risen since changing the dose and is now averaging in the mid-150s/mid-70s. I realize that it takes 2-4 weeks to reach a stabilization point but I had expected the bp to start receding rather than increasing. My concerns are: did the change of manufacturer precipitate the increase in bp and also weight gain, lethargy and mild panic attacks? I’m going to check with my pharmacy to see if other losartan patients using the Camber brand share the same concerns after the change in manufacturer and also check with my primary doctor to see what alternative meds are available. I am an 86 year old Caucasian male.”

Anonymous January 6, 2020

“I am so thankful for those that have posted on this site about the side effects of losartan, namely, anxiety. My doctor had prescribed this drug for high blood pressure Over weeks and then months I started having feelings of nervousness. At first I thought it was due to life events. It got so bad that I am sure I had panic attacks. I then found this site, with anxiety being listed as a side effect. I went to see a psychiatrist, and said the feelings I was experiencing were anxiety. I went back to my original doctor and told him about it. He said he had never had a patient taking Losartan with anxiety as a side effect, but agreed that I go completely off any medication. Once I did that, I started feeling better within 3 days. After a month, I was almost back to feeling normal! This is a very serious side effect on this medication, and again, I thank those that have posted of your experiences. I hope to do the same for others with this post.”

Gaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I've been taking this medication for 2 months now and I'm reporting back about the anxiety issue that I commented on originally. The medication still causes anxiety and I now take it at 8pm so that the anxiety/drug interaction peaks at 11pm before bed time. I have found that taking a Magnesium Glycinate supplement has helped a bit with the anxiety (a little bit) however the drugs effectiveness has seemed to diminish (ie BP isn't lowered anymore). I'm not sure if this is an interaction or that my body has just got accustomed to it. I'm guessing I will likely stop meds when I discuss with Dr. as it's having no positive effects.”

Kip January 3, 2020

“I am a 71-year-old woman who started taking this about a year ago because BP was around 145/over 82. It did drop my BP to 128/78. However, I developed a massive rash starting on my leg but soon was all over my body. I went to the doctor and he said it wasn't from this med, which happened to be the only addition to my life. I went to a dermatologist and said it could be, so the doctor offered me another BP med that makes your ankles swell, I said no. I thought I'd try to control it with herbal supplements and stopped taking the med. I immediately lost 5 lbs and my hair which was thinning and very dry, even though I took fish oil every day started to feel normal again (thought those were happening because of getting old). However, the supplements aren't working because my BP was higher tonight than it ever was...so back to the doctor tomorrow. I wish I could do this naturally. I am in good health otherwise, exercise regularly, still work full time and am of normal weight for my height. Any suggestion?”

Granny · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2019

“Not many problems with losartan for BP, but the ones from Camber labs didn't work for me. Had fatigue and bp was higher. Have been on theme for about 3 1/2 years. The losartan from this lab only one that showed side effects. Pharmacy is marking my file so I don't get that brand again. Some of the previous patients might want to consider the manufacturer/lab & change that. Another thing is they are extremely bitter. Taste it as soon as I put it in my mouth. Previous ones were not like that,”

:-\ · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2019

“On Losartan 25mg. 38yr old female, maintain healthy diet, no health issues except High BP (hereditary in my family) The med does lower my BP, but makes me extremely tired with dizzy spells, unusual muscle cramps in legs/feet, & some numbness in extremities. However, the worst side effect from this poison-pill is HORRIBLE damage & loss to my formerly long hair!”

bob · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2019

“I've been on it for a couple of years and I'm on the full dose yet my blood pressure was in the pre high blood pressure zone but as time has gone by it has lost its effectiveness”

Gaz · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

“I've been put on Losartan as part of a post-op medication after having stents placed in my coronary arteries. Losartan definitely lowers my blood pressure but there is no doubt that it causes anxiety and a feeling of fear. It seems to amplify an emotional response to any negative thoughts and gets you to fear those questions. I have found that changing my schedule for taking the medication also changes the schedule of the anxiety. Ie it follows the taking of the drug by about 3 hours (which is when the drug peaks apparently). There is no doubt that anxiety and feelings of negative well being are side effects. So if you're having an emotional reaction (in my case 3 hours after taking) this medication may be the cause. I am taking just before bed to hopefully mask the feelings as I'll be asleep. TBD if it affects sleep.”

Wolf24 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 14, 2019

“Losartan is a horrible drug. I have been on it with HCTZ for five years. Slowly began to have dizzy spells, mouth sores, leg cramps, dry mouth, chest pains, panic attacks, blurry vision, and extreme fatigue to the point by lunch I would have to leave work and go to bed. My doc checked me for everything and sent me to many specialists and found nothing wrong. I'm throwing this losartan out right now.”

Reen November 13, 2019

“I have been on this medication (losartan for a couple months now for high BP. It has significantly lowered my BP . Usually is around 114/75. Or around that. But it does NOT come without side affects! Definitely find myself crying A LOT more, like every day and feeling down and blue! The scariest is the sharp chest pains I get, daily, which did lead me to the emergency room. After much testing no explanations. So I continue living with these sharp pains daily. I also have to take it at night because it makes me very drowsy and have brain fog. Last but not least muscle soreness in arm and legs. I see my cardiologist in Jan. Hoping they can suggest something else that will work this well to lower my BP without all the side affects”

D · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

“My blood pressure (BP) at dr. office usually runs 140/78. My dr. put me on a water pill and I experienced low sodium blood levels so he took me off the water pill and put me on losartan potassium. I now am experiencing extreme exhaustion, bloating and a general feeling of anxiety. My heart skips beats and my BP has actually gone up higher than it ever has. I’ve decided the pill is poison to me and I took my last one this morning. I will not continue taking this as I feel like it’s killing me. Do these doctors even know what they’re doing? I feel poisoned. I’d rather have HBP than feel like this.”

Patski · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2019

“My doctor switched me from HCTZ to losartan, which had been working just fine for me for years, but my sodium had been slightly low lately -- probably because I had not been drinking enough water. I was first given 25mg of Losartan, then 50mg, then 75mg, then 100mg -- and in all cases my blood pressure went from normal to high. I finally said ENOUGH! Within hours of switching back to HCTZ, now my blood pressure is normal again. Losartan might work for some, but it didn't work for me. Everyone's chemistry is different, so be sure to speak up if a drug isn't working for you!”

Smilez · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2019

“I have been on this medicine losartan for about 3 months and I also have experienced side effects of dry coughs and chest pain and a little bit of weight gain and stomach problems and pH balance is off. I quit taking it for a couple days and I didn't have a foul smell, then when I start taking it again it came back, so it has to be the medicine and as I was looking up this medicine I see that it's on recall so I definitely will talk to my doctor and get off this medicine for sure.”

Chilover · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2019

“I have high blood pressure as a side effect of medication. I’m already at my ideal weight and I eat healthy. The medication at the low dose of 0.25 mg worked immediately dropping my blood pressure down to 117/76 from 158/92. In”

L · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 22, 2019

“losartan works great to lower blood pressure but negatives are sinus drip, cough and tremors.”

Boxie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

“The meds DO NOT WORK!! I have lost over 25 lbs, cholesterol, glucose levels dropped, I engage in both low & high impact workouts 5 days a week and this med has done nothing to lower my blood pressure, in fact has increased it!! I went from low dose (25 mg to 50 mg) over a 2 month test period & the blood pressure was status quo and terrible side effects including dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, migraines.”

JC · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

“Well I've had an anxiety disorder since my early teens. I've been taking losartan since last December. Starting last June I started getting weird side effects drowsiness drunk feeling with increased anxiety despite being on anxiety medication. Told the dr about this and he ignored it. Fast forward till now yesterday was my last dose I called the dr explanation my serious nature of panic attacks that were uncontrollable. Increasing my blood pressure to really dangerous numbers I didn't have these side effects at first started June till about 6 months later. This medicine is awful. I told the dr I'd rather live with my high blood pressure then be on this. Well never got a call back from the dr so if you have an anxiety disorder at all cost stay away from this medication. From seeing some of the reviews others have experienced the same, everyone was saying it was all in my head - about the medicine. The fear I have the last 2 doses of taking this was out this world uncontrollable no thank's”

Cryptid October 16, 2019

Cozaar (losartan): “I was prescribed this medication 3 weeks ago for high blood pressure after I had coughing fits with Lisinopril. This medication seems to work part of the time and keeps my blood pressure in high 120's to mid 130's. I am on 25mg. Side effects I have is random cough (not to bad), dry throat, loose stools and I've noticed an increase in sharp chest pains on the left side of my breast. I see the cardiologist in 2 weeks and hope she can help me sort this problem out.”

Which Dr aka which med? · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

“I was on Losartan HCTZ 50/12.5 I wasn't overweight but helped me lose weight. Unfortunately with stress etc it stopped working. Dr. Put me on 2 pills a day so went to another Cardiologist was put on irbesartan and chlorthalidone omg my hair was falling out....looks terrible now! Now he switched me to Amlodipine and chlorthalidone? Who knows. I may go back to losartan only side effect I started having once in a while was a feeling of losing my breath very small amount and infrequently. I wasn't tired and lost probably 8 pounds while taking it.”

Lmacalis · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

“I started taking Losartan 8 months ago. At the time I was doing Weight Watchers and making great progress. Within the first few days I experienced dry cough ( I have COPD and didn't cough like this), more breathless, back pain, calf and foot cramps so bad I had to force my feet to go flat on the floor, eyesight change, constant anxiety/fear, chest tightness, fatigue, insomnia and headaches all the time. Then I started gaining weight after 4 weeks and as of this writing I have put on 24 pounds. Of course carrying around this extra weight makes it harder to breathe and my BP is going up. I have spoken with cardio and GP and they both tell me it's not the med, I know my body and this isn't normal. I'm afraid to go off it for fear of BP going back to 164/90 but last night it was 147/83 so it's climbing and I know their solution will be to up the losartan (I take 75mg now). No more, I'm looking for a dr who will actually listen to me.”

Erik A · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

“I was only on Losartan 50mg, along with HCTZ 12.5mg, for five dosages and it caused some bad physical and mental side effects. They included panic attacks, headaches, pressure behind the eyes, lightheadedness, confusion, foggy feelings, being tired and also unable to sleep, lack of appetite, and probably more that I am forgetting. I also fainted twice, within 15 minutes of each other, on the evening of my third dose, which included spending three hours in the ER to recover from massive dehydration. I had a follow up appointment with my PCP earlier today, prior to my sixth dosage, and he told me to stop taking it. I have been off it for only 28 hours and the side effects are gone! I still have a mild headache, but it is considerably better than the past couple of days. I know medication reacts differently for every person, but, for me, it was not worth taking this medications/dosage, which did lower my blood pressure a small amount, compared to all of the side effects I experienced.”