User Reviews for Amlodipine to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine Rating Summary

4.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Amlodipine

Flo June 16, 2020

“I don’t usually write reviews but felt had to with this. Only took two 5mg tablets and awful side effects and experience. Day 1 severe dizziness headache and very bad chest pain and a wired feeling. Day 2 anxiety through the roof, could not think straight, dizzy, breathless. And blood pressure going up not down. Stopped it and next two days still very high anxiety, breathless and chest tightness. Really wanted this to work and bring down blood pressure and I’m happy to ride out side effects but this drug is scary, thought I’d have to go to A&E but rode it out. Day 3 now since I took the tablets and all improved but now bad stomach pains, diarrhea and back pains. Think it’s all the end of this drug coming out of system . First time I’ve taken blood pressure med and really scared me. Disappointed. I stopped it myself as the doctor would probably say try longer, nope! Maybe more exercise. Not in a hurry to try an alternative one”

Nic · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

“I was on coveram for 8 years, and then early during the year I developed a cough. So I was asked to take amlopidine 10 mg. After a week ,I started having chest pain, a high racing pulse, hot face and an extreme fatigue, like I had no life. On top of it my right hand was hurting. So I stopped taking them. My symptoms stopped but after 4 days, I woke up and both my knees are swollen and painful. Any one experienced that. My GP said it's probably gout but my instinct says it's that bloody medication. It stays in your system for at least 11.5 days.”

Jen June 6, 2020

“I was on amlodipine for about 3 month and it was the worst experience ever, I had anxiety, muscle twitching, tremors that have not gone away and I’ve been off of it for a month an still having side affects from it. I had to go Neurologist and cardiologist from all the side effects and 3 trips to ER, it also gives you panic attacks and a really bad burning pain on my upper right thigh. It is the worst drug I have ever been on and my doctor told me I was just going through something in life. Don’t take this drug it is awful.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 3, 2020

“Ok, so original BP was about 158/98 roughly, went on this drug and it brought this down to 135/88 roughly... I taken the drug for about 3-4 months and the drug works (why I am giving this a score 2). There was 1 large issue for me, the anxiety I felt was off the scale and I almost thought I was going insane at times and I still think this now... I had a weird dream last night and it kept me awake and I have started to be always exhausted. I have stopped taking the drug today just because I could not bare the anxiety this gave me and I've never had these anxiety issues before... I did have other symptoms such as hot face, back ache, twitching finger and thumb and tingles in my right hand. I am going to stop taking this for some time to see if anxiety gets "less" and if it does I will not be using this again.”

Arlette · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 3, 2020

“Amlodipine lowered my blood pressure fine. I didn’t know I was having a problem with it until I had taken it for about a year. My ankles and feet started to swell and hurt and a diuretic didn’t even help the edema. I was told never to take it again and my doctor said the edema would probably not get better.”

Deb · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

“Been on amlodipine besylate for about 3 weeks for high blood pressure and I ended up in ER few days ago for severe weakness in my right arm. They did EKG, CT scan and blood work. Everything was normal, dr said injury to the muscles in my shoulder. I'm 53 and very active. I run my farm by myself. Now the weakness is also in my right leg, I am shaky, lightheaded. I am not taking the amlodipine this morning I'm waiting for dr to call. It did lower my blood pressure but now I can't do anything.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 25, 2020

“Ever since I started amlodipine I have had twitches in my calf. Anyone else have this?”

gert · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 22, 2020

“I've been on this drug for 8 months, and my lower legs were swollen, I thought it was the same for all, anyway as time when on, I was getting out of breath, and ankles getting more swollen, I went to Hospital for further test, and I've been given different drug, My blood pressure did come down with Amloodipine, but not as much as expected, I feel you have to also do exercise and eat better, IK believe it works for lots of people, if not go try another brand, .”

Paulchen April 30, 2020

“I have been using 5mg Amlodipine for the last 10 years. When I started my blood pressure was in the range of 135/85 to 145/90 and it is now in the range of 110/65 to 120/80. I tend to be slightly sleepy during the day but it is okay being now at 82 years of age. I still work a 5 day week.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

“I started taking Amlodipine 4 days ago. The first 2 days I had a slight headache but I knew it was a side effect and was fine with it. But my symptoms gradually got worse. Day 3 chest pain and heart palpitations, extreme dry mouth, Flushing (feeling warm like a fever was coming), fatigue, muscle aches, stomach pain/bloating/gas, yeast discharge, and this weird stinging sensation in my thigh like I was being stung by a bee over and over again. I also had insomnia even though i was exhausted! I stopped taking it today but I’m still feeling the chest pains and palpitations, although they aren’t as intense. I’m going to work out and eat healthy! I can’t deal with these side effects! It lowered my blood pressure i think. I’m not sure, it kinda jumped all over the place.”

Sid · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2020

“So I just started on Amlodipine 5 weeks ago because one of my meds metolprolol was giving me terrible sleep hallucinations. It took about one month to really start working. I will say my sleep was so much better and a felt calmer. However, the swollen ankles were terrible. Also 2 weeks in I woke up with a swollen lower lip..Just bizarre. It went away once I got up and iced it..They 2 weeks later it happened again. Plus serious dry mouth and lips...I can't take the dry mouth thing anymore..Just this morning I woke up and my gland under my tongue was swollen... Has anyone else had these mouth issues. I mean maybe it is not even related to Amlodipine IDK but I've never had these till the past 5 weeks.. Any help let me know... I want off.”

Dolly · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2020

“Female, 59 yo, 100 kg. I suffer from hypertension. I was prescribed 10mg Amlodipine daily a few years ago. I was always so tired and didn't feel like I wanted to do anything. Six months ago I did a little research and found that it can make you extremely fatigued so I went off it. Other side effects include vivid dreams, facial flushing, extreme lethargy, palpitations at night and disrupted sleep. I went off this medication about 6 months ago. Since I started back on the Amlodipine 2 days ago and am already feeling extremely fatigued once again. Just today I slept from 2:30 pm to 4:45 pm and again from 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm. The medication may be effective to bring down my blood pressure but at what cost to my everyday life. I am going off this drug once again and will try to lose the excess weight to lower my blood pressure.”

Ccrider February 29, 2020

“Hello, I have never posted on a message board before but feel the need to share. I have high blood pressure and take lisinapril in the morning and amlodipine at night before bed. I have gained so much weight and couldn't figure it out, my legs and ankles are swelling and it is adversely affecting my sleep apnea in my opinion. I also have noticed tingling throughout my body and memory issues. I am not going to take this rubbish anymore, if I gain all this weight and have all these new issues, what's the point as I think it is worst for me. I stopped taking it and just take the lisinapril and now and after only two day am sleeping better and water retention is going down. Take it for what its worth but I have no use for this poison.”

Jake G · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

“Been taking this for 3 months. Seemed to help at first but BP is right back to where it was. I too have had the itchy skin. Have had muscle aches too but IDK if I can chalk that up to the drug. Going to Dr to go back on Lisinopril. Low rating due to poor performance. I am on the highest dose of 10mg as well.”

Stewtami · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

Norvasc (amlodipine): “After 4 days pain in my legs was excruciating!! I stopped taking it and my blood pressure was fine with losing weight and exercise. This drug is a joke. Don't take it.”

M February 22, 2020

“I have been taking amlodipine for over a year now and I swear the side effects are ridiculous although I was born with a heart condition but this medication caused severe chest pains just a couple of weeks ago trips to the emergency room and while working out I was getting weak and fainty. I mean I thought my life was over I'm now getting off the medication and will be taking something else but I never have written a review before but I thought I'll share this”

Debbi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

“Amlodipine didn’t control my high blood pressure but after taking it a month my ears were making noice like a fast heartbeat. It was so bad I went to my GP and he told me that wasn’t a side effect but after investigating the reviews on this drug I find out many people have the same side effect. Makes me loose confidence in my doctor. Wondering if he spends any time researching these dangerous drugs before prescribing them. I stopped taking it and am hopefully my ears will clear up.”

French Guy February 21, 2020

“From day one I experienced light headedness and once fainted. After one and a half years, the CONSTANT dizziness was crushing me, I couldn't concentrate, do anything physical, walk far, ride my bike, my work was suffering and I was beginning to feel depressed and hopeless. My doctor finally (why so long?) took me off the amlodipine, and within 48 hours my dizziness had gone, but also I realized that serious back pain that had been torture for over a year faded away. Over the time I took this medicine, my gripes included painful urination, serious muscular pain in my leg and in my back. The worst thing was that my doctor was leaning more and more towards psycho somatic causes and trying to convince me I was provoking the symptoms due to depression. He wanted to put me medication for this. It DISGUSTS me that he didn't listen to me, that he didn't take me seriously, that he didn't take the amlodipine side effects into consideration until I argued with him for nearly an hour about it.”

Daytime · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“On this drug for 8 days. First side effect, 5 days in, was skin tingling similar to an allergic reaction. Next side effect, on the 8th day, was elevated heart rate. Based on the side effects already experienced and the reviews on this site, I will discontinue this medication.”

Niko · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I’ve been taking Amlodipine for a few weeks and last week my dose was upped to 10mg because my BP was still high. I’ve since been experiencing burning hot and very red lower limbs. My whole body is prickly and itchy and tops of my arms and chest are hot. I’ve been suffering with Edema too to the point I thought the skin on my legs would split, I’m so uncomfortable ”

puddin · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I took one tablet of amlodipine besylate on Wednesday morning. Seven hours later, I noticed pink tissue going down the toilet when I peed. I stopped taking it. Blood with the urine lasted until Friday. (I noticed a few small flecks of red on Friday, too.) A higher bp reading due to stress had led to the doctor prescribing this extra prescription. One of my stressors is white coat syndrome. Now, he wants me to visit a urologist. My other side effects were less output of urine and less frequent urination. I had 3 loose stools on Thursday. Weakness and pain in the legs on Friday. Most dizziness and all other symptoms gone by Saturday. On Saturday, I was feeling much better.”

Missy · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I started Amlodipine 5mg a day. Works great almost immediately for me . Little dizzy day one for short time then just feeling better each day. I feel lifted even in mood.”

Tom · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 11, 2020

“I am one of what I presume is the majority with no apparent side effects from this drug after almost 2 years (I think for a few days I felt a bit weird), and it does seem to control BP. But really, when you get to your 60s and are active there are so many aches and pains that come on that it might be hard to distinguish anything from the background!”

ewhite22 February 10, 2020

“I have been on this drug amlodipine since Dec. 20. The first thing I noticed was swelled up ankles and sometimes hands. Then I noticed at work my arms were getting fatigued when I was holding something light like the mail. A day after my legs started feeling the same. I was constantly wanting to sit down. In the mornings I would feel a racing heart, and during the days it was hard for me to focus. I am only 24 years old and have high bp from being overweight and being a heavy drinker. I have stopped drinking around the 1st of January and started dieting but still to this day have all the side effects. I also noticed only a 5-7 point change in BP which makes the side effects so not worth it. This is a terrible drug, my cardiologist prescribe it to me through online messenger. After reading everyone's experiences I can't believe he was willing to just put me on 10mg from the start. I also take metoprolol and lisinopril (have been for 6-8 months) and am lucky enough to have no side effects from those.”

Anthonyts3 · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

“I was on metoprolol for about 8 years. I am 50. I have a long history of heart disease. However I am extremely active and eat healthy. I was experiencing ED (erectile dysfunction) and asked Dr to switch medications. Well it's been two weeks , the ED is gone blood pressure is good, and only side effects I am aware of so far, very vivid dreams.I have stood up fast a couple of times and gotten dizzy once to the point I had to lay down. I have read a lot of reviews, I am concerned and will be monitoring myself. Thank to everyone for your feedback. It is wonderful to have, the pharmaceutical companies certainly won't tell us.”