User Reviews for Amlodipine to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 5)

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine Rating Summary

4.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Amlodipine

Rocky Colo · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

“Dose of amlodipine 2.5mg once at night. 69 female. Caused my blood pressure to go up, not down. Stopped taking it when first morning BP went above 180/100. Also caused insomnia, making me hyper-alert for hours after the night time dose. Feet swelled making it painful to walk.”

Prettichic · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 18, 2019

“I'm currently taking this amlodipine pill in the 10 mg tablet firm, along with taking propranolol 10 mg 3 times a day. I honestly don't understand why blood pressure medications come with such awful side effects, especially the dizziness and nausea, which I am totally beyond tired of dealing with. I have forced myself to take these pills, which honestly feel like I'm poisoning my body with. There honestly isn't a major difference side effects wise between any of the BP meds that I've tried thus far. They just don't make me feel normal while on them, and doctors don't want to hear that. They figure whatever they prescribe to you, that your body can automatically handle it. Which is why, I sincerely hope that one day some pharmaceutical company invents blood pressure medication that is way more tolerable than what's already on the market today. Until then, I'm just going to do my best to continue with struggling through the symptoms that come with these pills.”

Just me · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

“Been taking amlodipine for two weeks now, my legs are so red they look as though I have been badly burnt in the sun, you could fry an egg on my knees. Feet also swollen. GP has now taken me off them. Awful drug”

Natasha · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

“I’m glad I’ve read the reviews on amlodipine. I’ve been on this medication, 5mg daily for only 4 days and the headaches and nausea I’m experiencing is awful. Called my doctor and was told to stop taking it as I may need a change in medicines. At this point I’m very leery of taking anything and am seeking all natural alternatives to lower my BP.”

MsDebbie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 15, 2019

“While this medication amlodipine is very effective in lowering blood pressure, it IS the drug with hideous side effects! Side effects are horrible and I wonder if some can be lifelong even after coming off this drug. Loss of concentration feeling like I'm in a fog or drugged. Cannot concentrate and do simple tasks. Loss of energy and movement, I can't do what I used to do. Not even walk up or down a small hill. Palpitations - some very scary. hate amlodipine. Weaning off as I write this. If doctor prescribes it for you please try an alternate medication this is horrible. I've read that it's going to be off the market because it is straight-up poison.”

TeddyB · Taken for 10 years or more August 14, 2019

“I’ve been off amlodipine 10mg medication since 7/22/2019 and I’m still having left side only leg/groin pain upon standing . I want to know if anybody has been on this and do the side effect go away. I did stop immediately and had no adverse affects of stopping. So please stop this medication immediately as I feel my painful side affects are permanent.”

Frank · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 11, 2019

“I’m a 47 year old male I have been on Amlodipine for 8 months, started on 10 mg. Started to feel extreme fatigue during important work meetings could not keep my eyes open. Had to pinch my self but the fatigue was so severe. Leg muscle cramps. Reduced to 5mg..but still fatigued. Stopped taking and noticed no further extreme fatigue ..blood pressure has crept up, will try to controls with exercise. Will go see my physician”

Nicknackwack · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2019

“Male, 61yrs, 92kg, live in U.K. I suffer from hypertension. Prescribed 10mg amlodipine daily and within days felt like I was being poisoned. Saw GP and reduced to 5mg. Side effects include vivid dreams, facial flushing, extreme lethargy, headache, palpitations at night, disrupted sleep, blurred vision. Am normally fit and active (ex military) but now feel like an old man. BP is down considerably which is good but at what cost to general health and well being ? I’m weaning myself off this controversial drug and am instead changing lifestyle and diet to control BP. I think BP is money making racket by pharmaceutical companies and misunderstood by GP’s.”

JGH17 August 7, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine): “I have been on this medication since Jan 17 over the past 2 years for high blood pressure. My blood pressure was extremely high for years this was one of the first to bring it back to normal. HOWEVER I started developing SEVERAL different symptoms almost loosing myself from what I believe to be this medication. Constant leg cramps, heavy legs, migraines, elevated liver enzymes (fatty liver disease) and worst of all a dull isolated personality like I wasn’t myself anymore. I felt like I didn’t have any ambition or desire for anything. Not myself anymore. I kept telling my doctor something was wrong until I forgot to take my medicine my mind felt better but was beating out of my chest from not taking it I can hear and feel it pound so hard. THIS MEDICATION CAN RUIN SOMEONES LIFE. I am gonna try natural ways to lower my blood pressure or something else. If you are taking this and feel like you are not yourself anymore and can care less to do anything in life. Talk to your Doc”

Peggy August 6, 2019

“I am 4 and a half months in on 2.5 mg once daily for high blood pressure. Was doing great, blood pressure was controlled and as a bonus, it also pretty much stopped my migraines altogether. I was happy to think my blood pressure was controlled on the smaller 2.5 mg dose than the usual 5 mg. However, into month 3, I noticed I was developing sore, aching muscles. First legs, then arms, then ankles, wrists, neck, hips and back. Each day felt like I had been hit with these deep, aching pains and extreme fatigue. I road this out thinking I could have a virus/summer flu bug. It never dissipated. I then decided to half my dosage. I am on day two of splitting my 2.5 mg pill into 1.25 (half). The first day, no aches. Today, no aches. Fatigue is definitely down a notch. I am riding this out on 1.25 mg's until I can get in and see my doctor. Under the "rare or extreme" side effects listed, muscle pain/joint pain are listed. I don't think this is as rare as they say.”

Polly · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2019

“Been taking amlodipine for 5 weeks. My ankles are so swollen But it’s the horrendous leg pain & tiredness plus nightmares that made me go back to dr. He’s now put me on a diuretic which I’ve been taking for 5 days now. The pain has eased off a little but still struggling to walk very far. Anyone know how long these side effects will last.”

bineisa August 3, 2019

“15 days on amlopidine 5mg, the last 6 I cut it down to 2.5. I did it because I was having many symptoms that scare me, flushing, sleepiness, pounding heart , palpitations felt on neck , muscle twitching, reflux. Since I am on 2.5 the reflux lessened a little, and also pounding heart, feeling some palpitations about once in the day, but now I feel something in the skin all over from time to time. Asking dr on Monday to take me off the pill. But I am worried because I read that it needs to be wean off because there have been people that had worst symptoms even heart attack after stopping them abruptly.”

Stasho · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 3, 2019

“Been on amlodipine for a year now, presently have normal blood pressure after experiencing high BP. Do feel short of breath or winded daily but also did before taking med. No swelling”

J. · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 31, 2019

“I've been taking amlodopine for 5+ years with few issues. On two occasions, the brand of drug was changed and I felt the meds weren't as effective and switched back. In researching, the inactive ingredients were different in the ones I didn't like. The common denominator was adherence to the original formula. Multiple people in my extended family use it without issue as well. I take 10 mg. My ankles have swollen on a few occasions but I'm not sure if it was travel or heat related, both other factors during those times. I took several weeks to adjust to the meds but committing to it was a great decision for me. I didn't want to be on BP meds in my 30s but I feel much better because of it.”

smitzerland · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2019

“Had to come off of lisinopril as it gave me a cough. I tried this amlodipine and yes blood pressure has stabilised but have felt so tired and lightheaded to the point that I felt I’d faint, then my feet, ankles and calves have gone red swollen and painful. Doctor has taken me off them. Been a few days now so it’s probably still not out of my system legs are still painful..!!!”

Mar · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2019

“I’ve been taking this for 2 weeks and have experienced terrible diarrhea. It lowered by BP from 180/110 to 140/100, so switching to another drug.”

Miami attorney · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2019

“50 yr old male. Highly stressful position as a Trial Attorney. Blood pressure has been consistently in the 150/100 range; sometimes higher. Finally, recognized I needed to be put on something. Incidentally, I also have psoraisis and learned that I cannot take a Beta Blocker as allegedly this makes psoraisis worse. I was then put on this calcium channel blocker, Amlodipine. In short, it brought my BP down to the range of 140/95 for 2 weeks consistently. So that part worked. However and consistent with the other reviews, I literally had swelling of both ankles after the 5th day of taking it. I also felt very, very anxious and just not there so to speak. In light of the severe ankle swelling, I was told to get off of it immediately. I did so, and the swelling went down and I feel normal again. Downside, BP is up again. So I guess we really need to use trial and error and figure out what works best for us individually and what has the least amount of side effects. Will try something else.”

Billy July 26, 2019

“Overwhelming tiredness and sleepiness. Continually.”

Garrett · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 26, 2019

“This drug amlodipine causes leg swelling. It can be so painful that you do not want to walk, which is counterproductive to the desired effect reducing blood pressure. My legs ache and have swelled to the point I have to use compression socks. Alcohol use (or abuse) will negatively affect this as well.”

Babyblue · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

“Took it for eight days. Suffered nausea, tingling in hands, irregular heartbeat, palpitations, visual disturbance and tinnitus. Thought I was having a heart attack and went to ER. EKG normal but I could feel my heart in my chest, pounding. Very scary. Went to GP next day and was told to stop taking it. Side effects still occurring after 4 days after my last dose, but are lessening. Wouldn't take this drug if it meant life or death. Since found out it is banned in several countries. STAY AWAY ! THIS DRUG IS THE PITS!”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 23, 2019

“There is something very different with the lupin amlodipine and it's not just the shape. I have headaches all the time, nausea and feel lightheaded. I have contacted the company and filed a complaint”

TeddyB · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

“They sell this med for pets and also sell to humans. Do not take this high blood pressure medicine it caused me leg, thigh and groin pain.”

TeddyB · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

“Starting taking Amlodipine Besylate 5mg in October 2018 started feeling like I had a bladder problem. Nothing found wrong with bladder, Pap smear negative, all blood work negative but potassium level was elevated and so was BP. Dr. upped me to 10mg in April 2019 since then on Left side only - painful Leg, thigh and groin ache when standing or sitting down (after 3 months of use). Laying down gives relief but once standing pain comes back. Slight shoulder pain and shoulder weakness and reoccurring chest/heart ache. Sleepiness also. Called doctor this morning after reading these reviews. Will be stopping medication as of today 7-22-2019.”

Loopy lou · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

“On amlodipine for 4 weeks and it reduced my blood pressure, but spent 3 weeks feeling tortured with shortness of breath, constant coughing and wheezing. My dr put me on antibiotics and steroids for 5 days and it helped, but as soon as that corse stopped the struggling started again.so after being on really strong antibiotics and 8 steroids a day for almost 3 weeks the dr took me off the amlodapine and now I can breath...”

Anon July 16, 2019

“I was started on 2.5mg a day. Within 2 days my BP raised significantly. The dosage was increased to 5mg, again a large rise in BP. Another increase to 10mg day and BP skyrocketed with whole body swelling. 2 days off amlodipine and BP is close to normal”