Amlodipine Patient Tips
How it works
Amlodipine works directly on heart muscle and blood vessels to relax and dilate them and is used to treat heart conditions such as angina and high blood pressure.
- Effective at relieving angina-related symptoms and lowering blood pressure.
- Recommended over other types of heart medications (for example ACE inhibitors, ARBs) for the treatment of hypertension in African Americans.
If you are between the ages of 18 and 60, take no other medication or have no other medical conditions, side effects you are more likely to experience include:
- Edema (swelling around the ankles) is the main side effect. Shortness of breath, dizziness, fast or irregular heart beat, flushing, wheezing have also been reported.
- Appears to have little or no interaction with grapefruit or grapefruit products.
- Lower doses may be needed in patients with liver disease.
Notes: In general, seniors or children, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver or kidney problems, heart disease, diabetes, seizures) or people who take other medications are more at risk of developing a wider range of side effects. For a complete list of all side effects, click here.
- The manufacturer states that there is no concern about taking amlodipine with grapefruit juice.
- Be careful when going from sitting to standing as blood pressure may drop.
- Report to your doctor any signs of dizziness, tiredness, flushing, nausea, indigestion, shortness of breath, excessive weight gain, muscle rigidity or tremors, or edema.
- Dial 911 or report to an emergency department if wheezing, facial swelling, chest tightness, cough, or seizures occur suddenly.
Response and Effectiveness
- Peak concentrations occur between 6 and 12 hours; effect lasts for approximately 24 hours.
Amlodipine [package insert]. Revised 12/2015. Aurobindo Pharma Limited. https://www.drugs.com/pro/amlodipine.html Accessed 02/2016
More about amlodipine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 265 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: calcium channel blocking agents
Other brands: Norvasc
Related treatment guides
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use amlodipine only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that this information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. It is an informational resource designed as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of this information. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2017 Drugs.com. Revision Date: 2016-02-26 00:00:00