User Reviews for Amlodipine to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 2)

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine Rating Summary

4.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Amlodipine

Stewtami · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

Norvasc (amlodipine): “After 4 days pain in my legs was excruciating!! I stopped taking it and my blood pressure was fine with losing weight and exercise. This drug is a joke. Don't take it.”

M February 22, 2020

“I have been taking amlodipine for over a year now and I swear the side effects are ridiculous although I was born with a heart condition but this medication caused severe chest pains just a couple of weeks ago trips to the emergency room and while working out I was getting weak and fainty. I mean I thought my life was over I'm now getting off the medication and will be taking something else but I never have written a review before but I thought I'll share this”

Debbi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

“Amlodipine didn’t control my high blood pressure but after taking it a month my ears were making noice like a fast heartbeat. It was so bad I went to my GP and he told me that wasn’t a side effect but after investigating the reviews on this drug I find out many people have the same side effect. Makes me loose confidence in my doctor. Wondering if he spends any time researching these dangerous drugs before prescribing them. I stopped taking it and am hopefully my ears will clear up.”

French Guy February 21, 2020

“From day one I experienced light headedness and once fainted. After one and a half years, the CONSTANT dizziness was crushing me, I couldn't concentrate, do anything physical, walk far, ride my bike, my work was suffering and I was beginning to feel depressed and hopeless. My doctor finally (why so long?) took me off the amlodipine, and within 48 hours my dizziness had gone, but also I realized that serious back pain that had been torture for over a year faded away. Over the time I took this medicine, my gripes included painful urination, serious muscular pain in my leg and in my back. The worst thing was that my doctor was leaning more and more towards psycho somatic causes and trying to convince me I was provoking the symptoms due to depression. He wanted to put me medication for this. It DISGUSTS me that he didn't listen to me, that he didn't take me seriously, that he didn't take the amlodipine side effects into consideration until I argued with him for nearly an hour about it.”

Daytime · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

“On this drug for 8 days. First side effect, 5 days in, was skin tingling similar to an allergic reaction. Next side effect, on the 8th day, was elevated heart rate. Based on the side effects already experienced and the reviews on this site, I will discontinue this medication.”

Niko · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I’ve been taking Amlodipine for a few weeks and last week my dose was upped to 10mg because my BP was still high. I’ve since been experiencing burning hot and very red lower limbs. My whole body is prickly and itchy and tops of my arms and chest are hot. I’ve been suffering with Edema too to the point I thought the skin on my legs would split, I’m so uncomfortable ”

puddin · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I took one tablet of amlodipine besylate on Wednesday morning. Seven hours later, I noticed pink tissue going down the toilet when I peed. I stopped taking it. Blood with the urine lasted until Friday. (I noticed a few small flecks of red on Friday, too.) A higher bp reading due to stress had led to the doctor prescribing this extra prescription. One of my stressors is white coat syndrome. Now, he wants me to visit a urologist. My other side effects were less output of urine and less frequent urination. I had 3 loose stools on Thursday. Weakness and pain in the legs on Friday. Most dizziness and all other symptoms gone by Saturday. On Saturday, I was feeling much better.”

Missy · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

“I started Amlodipine 5mg a day. Works great almost immediately for me . Little dizzy day one for short time then just feeling better each day. I feel lifted even in mood.”

Tom · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 11, 2020

“I am one of what I presume is the majority with no apparent side effects from this drug after almost 2 years (I think for a few days I felt a bit weird), and it does seem to control BP. But really, when you get to your 60s and are active there are so many aches and pains that come on that it might be hard to distinguish anything from the background!”

ewhite22 February 10, 2020

“I have been on this drug amlodipine since Dec. 20. The first thing I noticed was swelled up ankles and sometimes hands. Then I noticed at work my arms were getting fatigued when I was holding something light like the mail. A day after my legs started feeling the same. I was constantly wanting to sit down. In the mornings I would feel a racing heart, and during the days it was hard for me to focus. I am only 24 years old and have high bp from being overweight and being a heavy drinker. I have stopped drinking around the 1st of January and started dieting but still to this day have all the side effects. I also noticed only a 5-7 point change in BP which makes the side effects so not worth it. This is a terrible drug, my cardiologist prescribe it to me through online messenger. After reading everyone's experiences I can't believe he was willing to just put me on 10mg from the start. I also take metoprolol and lisinopril (have been for 6-8 months) and am lucky enough to have no side effects from those.”

Anthonyts3 · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

“I was on metoprolol for about 8 years. I am 50. I have a long history of heart disease. However I am extremely active and eat healthy. I was experiencing ED (erectile dysfunction) and asked Dr to switch medications. Well it's been two weeks , the ED is gone blood pressure is good, and only side effects I am aware of so far, very vivid dreams.I have stood up fast a couple of times and gotten dizzy once to the point I had to lay down. I have read a lot of reviews, I am concerned and will be monitoring myself. Thank to everyone for your feedback. It is wonderful to have, the pharmaceutical companies certainly won't tell us.”

Tiki February 9, 2020

“I've been taking 5 mg amlodipine since December 2019. Lately, I've had muscle cramps in my upper back while standing or walking. It's really uncomfortable. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I've also had facial flushing.”

TeddyB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2020

“Started taking 5 mg amlodipine in October 2018. Didn’t realize side affects were there. Dizzy, heart palpitations, foggy head. Blood pressure still up when checked in April 2019. Doctor upped dose to 10mg. Started having muscle pains on left side only. Groin, lower back, thigh and calf. Realized after reading these reviews it was this medication. Called doctor and told of side affects. Stopped cold turkey on July 21st, 2019. Muscle Aches, lower back ache and calf ache on left side slowly going away but still there just not as bad as in September/ October 2019. Hopefully one day all aches are gone but so far about 70% are gone. I gave a couple of reviews on this medication back in July 2019. Most of my aches are more prevalent upon standing.”

Arlene · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 31, 2020

“Been taking this med for a year. No issues. Now have itching but no rash all over especially face and scalp”

A.J. · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg on January 8,2020. On January 10th I started feeling the tingling in my arms, chest, and back. I took the medicine for 5 days. All of the other side affects have stopped but I’m still experiencing nausea and stomach pain. Had diarrhea but that seems to have cleared up. Anyone knows how long it’ll take for the stomach pains to go away ?”

Zegota January 25, 2020

“At first I was becoming dizzy and had a couple of huge heart fluttering, however they soon stop after about a week. I am very satisfied with Amlodipine, it was the only medication that made a different with my high blood pressure. Amlodipine lowered my blood pressure about ten to twenty points, and today I am still taking this medication. Mostly in the evening, late at night just before bed to have it fully in my system by morning. This is a potent medication and I am only on 10mg tabs, once a day. For me this stuff really works, and does what it supposed to do, my biggest concern are Generic Drugs.”

Jman January 19, 2020

“I’ve been on this medication amlodipine for 20 days.. But I started having night sweats, tired, dizziness, split second fainting. As I kept taking this side affects worsened. I’m constantly fatigue, sleepy, jittery, easily tired and at night my arms feel like they are asleep and have to move them around. Recently my heart is constantly racing that almost called for emergency help. I had to control myself with deep breaths to calm down. I’m checking my pressure 3 times a day because my heart is racing out of control and afraid that I’m having a heart attack. I’m getting off this meds. And I’m not waiting for the doctor to tell me to do so. This is not for everyone . If I would have known how serious the effects are would have not accepted. The effects that are labeled sound very routine like most drugs do. This drug needs to be more informative and descriptive of how serious the effects are. We’re taking this drug blinding and thinking that the effects are minor. It should be banned!”

Vera January 19, 2020

“I have been reading quite a few of these reviews as I am in the same position as many of you. I have been on amlodipine for 5 years. Since 3 rd month I have been to my dr complaining about it. Swollen hands and ankles, vivid dreams ( very bad) muscle/ joint pain, burning feet/legs, coughing/ trouble swallowing, constipation, etc. As time went by I added more side effects. I handed a typed list of 15 side effects and demanded it to be placed in my file! I hated this pill called it chemical poison! After 5 years I sit with the consequences! Drug Induced Parkinsonism. A physician took it away after I had a MRI. Neurologist diagnosed Bradykinism. It has been 3 months now. I am suffering from weakness(left arm/leg) , tremors in left arm, muscles/ joints hurting, stiffness! I have read many articles on DIP, CCB, Amlodipine and Parkinsonism, Side Effects, Etc. Why has NOTHING been done? Why is nobody taking on the pharmaceutical companies?”

Mrshall January 14, 2020

“I started taking Amlodipine 10mg 6 days ago. I was switched from Nifedipine 30mg because I was had some unpleasant side effects. Every day on Amlodipine has been worse than the last. I now feel an unshakable sense of dread. My head stopped up. I can’t taste or smell. I have a headache that will not go away, facial flushing, brain fog, depression, very high anxiety. IT. IS. NOT. WORTH IT. I noticed the initial symptom of lightheadedness on day 3. It was like I hadn’t eaten (even though I had) and I stood up too fast all the time but even worse when I actually stood up too fast. I will immediately switch back over to Nifedipine and then make the lifestyle changes necessary to wean off of BP meds hopefully for the rest of my life. They are awful. I tried to stop taking it but my blood pressure shot up to 162/91. I’ve never seen my top number that high EVER. So I took my Amlodipine because i was scared and like I had guessed everything just got way worse from there.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2020

“I have been taking 5 mg amlodipine for about a year for HBP. A few months ago I started having blood sugar problems and lightheadiness and heavy legs with pain when walking. I do have reactive hypoglycemia so when my sugar wasn't high it crashed. My head is better and I am not so fatigued but my legs ache when walking. I am going to get off this drug myself if my doctor will not help me.”

Betty · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

“I am a 65 year old female. Suffered from high BP was put on 5 mg amlodipine. I am feeling great on this medication with no side effects. The only positive side effect is that I do NOT wake up with a headache anymore in the morning because of a blocked nose on one side. My headaches in the past were really really bad in the morning but went away whilst walking around and drinking tea. Now no more blocked nose, no More headaches because the blood flows more easily through the veins that is what I read. I am very happy with this medication and BP back to normal what is not to like.”

James · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2019

“I took amlodipine 5 mg for about 2 weeks I was fine but just a few days ago I was sitting looking at the computer suddenly I felt dizziness I went to ER they admitted me to the heart hospital. I was told I needed a pacemaker. I declined . Discharged from hospital after 1 day in half. Saturday I was told by a doctor to cut pill in half so I did next day I took it 35 minutes later I felt the dizziness and headache. I did not take pill next day no dizziness or headache. I called PCP my symptoms he told to completely stop taking . Be careful taking this medicine understand the side effects before taking. I don't recommend don't take it.”

Sheeplady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 21, 2019

“I have been on the amlodipine medication for about a year and now am experiencing tremors which are very concerning. I went on and started researching and lo & behold it's a medication that can lead to Parkinsons. I have had the brain fog and difficulty concentrating but thought that was from the headaches I have been experiencing since 2013. Now I find out that a side effect of this medication is also headaches. I find it very disappointing that the medical community will just throw drugs at a person because they have been wooed by the drug companies to push a specific medication. After reading several peoples responses I no longer know what to do. I was on a generic Coversil which is apparently known to cause bad coughing and I was taken off of it a put on the Amlodopine now what am I going to be able to take. I am rating this drug low not because of the small side effects but because of the higher risk of Parkinsons development”

Save lives December 20, 2019

“I've been on amlodipine for about 11 years for the past year I've been experiencing horrible side effects extremely fatigued headaches, pain in chest, tingling all over muscle, cramps, back pains, now I'm getting ringing in the ears, popping in ears, itchy and burning eyes. The problem with pharmaceutical companies is that there main goal is to make money, you never know when they're going to change the inactive ingredients or active ingredients to save a buck... I'm going to wean myself off this poison and do you like style changes is not worth it..”

JAC · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 20, 2019

“It took almost three weeks for the medicine to take effect. But now that it has I am very happy with it. So far I have not had any side effects.”