User Reviews for Amlodipine to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 4)

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine Rating Summary

4.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Amlodipine

Janet · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 8, 2019

“I have used Amlodipine 5 mg for 1.5 years. Worked really well to bring my BP down from really high. After a while I started having issues with my intestines. I stopped eating several foods because I reacted bad, got eczema under my eyes. Woke up most nights because I had stomach pains after urinating and such. I stopped with the amlodipine after consulting my GP and within 2 days all my issues disappeared.... however, still have high BP now so must look for alternative I guess.”

Sher-ee · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2019

“I’m 54 and discovered my blood pressure was hitting 152/90. Turns out I am Allergic to every medicine I’ve tried for BP. Tried Linsinipral and Omasartan and both caused a horrible cough that would basically gag me. Went on 5mg of Amlodipine that at first worked. Added Spirolactone as a diuretic. After several weeks developed muscle and joint pain and neuropathy in my feet and fingers. Stopped the Spirolactone, but the tingling fingers and feet plus numbness still persists. Even while asleep my arms constantly having pins and needle feelings. Lowered Amlodipine dose to 2.5 and even then cut that in half. As I type this my ears are ringing and have been all day. Even having ear pain (like an infection is coming on) and weird salivary gland tingling which I have never experienced in life (I can eat sour/vinegar foods with no issues). Both cardiologists I’ve seen believe in plant based eating as much as possible to eliminate the need for taking BP medicines at all.”

Annie 65 f. · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

“I have only been on this at 5mg for a week and the side effects are terrible. You feel like your walking around with sun burn your face is so hot, also my whole body was really hot. For the last 3 nights suffered greatly with leg cramps and lower back pain day and night. I have also been up through the night with a feeling of uneasy breathing and food coming back up in my throat, and heart burn resulting in having to take extra nexium which is an unprescribed extra dose and feeling really very unwell. This medication may work for some people but it most definitely is not for me. I decided to stop taking it as from today to get my life back.”

SB · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2019

“Following a massive BP spike and a history of high blood pressure I started on 5mg three weeks ago. From day one I had a blinding debilitating headache but, on a positive, my bp was dropping. Second week headache eased but chest & stomach pain, leg cramps, left leg swelling, fatigue & dizziness became increasingly worse. After three blackout falls (two very badly), the doctor advised me to stop immediately. Three days off it and now no pains & steadier but have worrying arrythmia. To its credit it has dropped my BP. I was happy to take it and ride out any side effects but the impact was too great for me. Clearly this medicine does work for some though. Lifestyle, diet & careful consideration to any meds.”

Smile · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 29, 2019

“I take amlodipine tablet 10mg and last 3 years and I have had lots of side effect. I have to get my doctor keep give me stomachs medicine to help the side effects. It has now only been last 4 days since I stopped taking them I am already better”

RickJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2019

“After taking the 5mg pill I had started to put on water weight, ankles swelled and slight burning sensation. Doctor added another 5mg to my daily dose and the symptoms only got worse. Been off the medication for a little over 2 weeks and symptoms are slowly going away. The burning sensation in my feet was the worst part to deal with.”

David · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2019

“Been on and off BP meds for many years (I'm 49). Been taking this for approximately 2 years. Strangely developed arrhythmia and then last fall started having episodes of Afib. I guess I've been blindly taking this as well as Olmesartan for even longer. I underwent an Ablation on my heart at the first of May this year. Haven't had one issue with the arrhythmia or afib until I stopped taking my Amlodipine 2 days ago. This morning I woke up and the arrhythmia was there. Of course I took my Amlodipine and have been exhausted all day. The reason I am trying to get off of this medication is 1: Terrible heartburn. 2. This may be the cause of my arrhythmia in the first place. And did I just have an ablation done to mask it?!?! And now if I stop am I screwed? Find something else to take!”

Colorado gal · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2019

“Taken amlodipine for 3-4 months got serious left leg pains. Started taken 2 garlic cloves with 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1 tbsp honey add 16 oz water blend in blender or small food processor then simmer mixture on stove 7 minutes. Let cool. Drink 8 oz daily for 1 week. Take week off do 1 more week. Can do this to lower blood pressure and I feel the pain starting to go away slowly. ”

TeddyB · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

“Was taking 10mg amlodipine for about 3-4 months. Painful aches in left leg, calf and thigh started after about 3 months of use. I stopped cold turkey with no adverse affects on July 22, 2019 and the pains in my leg, calf and thigh are still happening today and it’s now September 19th, 2019. 2 months after stopping and painful side affects still there. Everyday I wake up I’m hoping this pain goes away but so far it has not. I pray it’s not permanent damage because it’s extremely painful. Excederin helps but I have to take 2 doses daily. Tylenol does not help. Does anybody else have this type of pain and how long did your pain last?”

Drummer boy September 17, 2019

“I took this drug for three months and immediately started to get severe muscle pain in my calf muscles after walking only a short distance! I have now been off the drug for four months but still have these pains! After having a dopler test in my whole body I have been told my pulse is very weak in my ankles and would suggest poor blood flow which I am now being told needs an operation to clean out my arteries, how could these symptoms appear so quickly after starting to take this drug when I had previously had no such problems!!! I have recently read a patient review where the gentleman concerned suffered exactly my symptoms and loss of pulse! I am trying to walk short distances despite this”

large24 September 15, 2019

“Amlodipine has been great drug for keeping BP low I take it in the PM and benicar in the the morning. The only problem I have with amlodipine is if I take it and have a few wines my BP drops to 109/60 get lightheaded so doc said hold back on amlodipine if I'm going to have a couple drinks not sure if anyone experiences this when mixing with alcohol but talk about lightheadedness wow.I 'm not a big drinker so the benefits outweigh the risks. Good combo benicar and amlodipine for me went from 150/85 to 117/70 unless I'm stressed out then no BP meds going to help until your relaxed.”

Watts · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2019

“53 year old female taking 5mg amlodipine at bed time. Experienced many side effects which were increasing and getting worse. Tiredness, Lethargy, Weakness Edema, bad swelling of right leg Muscle aches especially back and calf. Legs felt squished like in a vice. Joint pain especially Hips had to use heat packs at night. Left heel pain hard to walk. Upset stomach, constipation, and gas. Heartburn after taking drug. Blurred vision, itchy eyes Itchy skin Headache Bruised easily Insomnia Drug made me feel terrible so I quit using it and going to see my GP Monday. Been off it only 48 hours almost all symptoms gone but still very achy. It was like poison to my body and would not recommend this drug.”

Anonymous September 15, 2019

“High BP. On 40 mg of lisinopril/25mg hydrochlorothiazide. Still high BP (in MD office) so added 5mg amlodipine. Ok, but still had BP spikes at MD. Prescribed me to 10 mg Amlodipine and my feet/ankles are like balloons!! Horrible water retention! Painful! They asked me to reduce back to 5 mg and still swelling. I’m going to 1/2 to 2.5 tomorrow.”

TT19 September 15, 2019

“Hi. I just started this amlodipine 4 days ago and since I started I’ve had this gnawing pain in my stomach. Never had it before so I can only attribute it to this drug but I’m only on 2.5 mg. I don’t know if it’s going to be worth staying on this unless the stomach ache stops. I’ve had to use an ice pack on my stomach because of the discomfort I guess I’m wondering if after 4 days can you just stop taking it I know if you’re on it for a considerable amount of time you have to be careful but it’s only been 4 days. We’ve tried a few different medications but I have side effects to the blood pressure meds and the only time my blood pressure is really elevated as when I go to my doctors appointment at home it’s not that bad. This was a last ditch effort to try a BP Med. I much rather just make a few lifestyle changes which I’ve already done but they say that you still may need a medication even with changes”

a blonde one · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 14, 2019

“This is horrible! Yes amlodipine works great to control blood pressure, mine has never been better but the side effects! Extreme fatigue I can't do anything. Stay away from this drug.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2019

“Taking amlodipine 5mg daily and experiencing facial flushing and itching. The doctor will not alter my prescription and told me that the amlodopine does not cause flushing - wonderful. Does anyone has this side effect?? My primary care doctor told me to see a cardiologist so I am doing just that! I feel that the side effects are uncomfortable”

Sly · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2019

“I am 33 yrs old and I have been taking this medication for 4 mths now it works great! I also have been exercising 2x a week doing this period. My bp went from 180/110 to 120/80. I have not experienced any negative side effects.”

Atlanta54 September 7, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine): “I was taken off of Procardia XL and moved to Norvasc. After being on this drug for a few months I started going through some changes. My sex drive was declining rapidly, my blood pressure and weight were going up as was my anxiety level. I spoke to my physician about placing me back on the Procardia and he refused. With in two years my weight was up over 40lbs, my sex drive was that of an old man and I was 42. I left my fiancee out of pure loss of interest in women. My blood pressure was way up as was my anxiety level. I was now being treated for anxieties. I spent twenty years on that drug, I gained over 100 lbs and my blood pressure was high, I was treated with Testosterone replacement therapy, an out of pocket expense of over 600 a month. All in all that product ruined my life, and now I am back on Procardia, my pressure is down, my testosterone if still low, and I am struggling to lose weight.”

HighBP · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2019

“I took one 5mg amlodipine dose last night for the first time. Woke up with the most blasting headache, nausea, heartburn. The headache is so severe, it’s caused very strong sinus pressure so that my gums and teeth ache too. No noticeable improvement in BP. Not worth these side effects no matter what. I can’t get up to do even the simplest work. It’s been 5 hours since I woke up like this. No significant improvement in my pain and discomfort.”

Tracey September 3, 2019

“Diagnosis a couple of years ago. Been on several different medicines to treat my high blood pressure. Amlodipine is the best one. It has been 3 Months. No side effects so far.. I feel great!”

Liam August 31, 2019

“I'm 31 years old I've been taking this for 6 months 10 mg and 50 mg loestan I found the amlodipine worked well getting my BP for 170 over 110 to 128 over 88”

p4-man · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

“I started taking this drug amlodipine at 5mg for moderate hypertension. (72 year old male). It has certainly brought my BP down and now it is consistently in the 120/75 range. However there are side effects. It massively reduced my libido and made me feel tired. My tendency to have ectopic heart beats (palpitations) has dramatically and disturbingly increased. I have some leg muscle pain and very rapid tiredness in the legs on brisk walking and climbing. For the last month I have been taking a half dose (2.5 mg by cutting pill in half) and the side effects are considerably reduced (but not absent). My blood pressure remains in the same low range. I have also experimented taking a quarter dose of 1.25 mg but noticed my BP creeping up again. On the high dose (5mg) it significantly reduced my migraine headache problem but much less so on 2.5 mg.”

Winning August 25, 2019

“Having had normal BP all my life only recently spiked to rocket high 180/ that scared the hell out of me, I asked my doctor to put me on amlodipine, initially 5mg, now I reduced it to 2.5mg. Have been on it for 8 months now, having headache for the first two days after starting the medicine, then headache gone, no particular side effects, only occasionally constipate, BP spikes, heart fluttering. BP now usually normal in the day time 120/80, higher at night time. I don't dare to measure BP at night time as it is normally higher sometime around 140/, I have phobia in measuring BP at night time.”

TeddyB · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

“My review dated August 14 says I used this medication for 10 years, actually the correct time is only 3 months used not 10 years. There is no way I could stand to use this 10 years, 3 months was way too long as it is. Body aches have not left yet after 3 months of use. I stopped immediately with no adverse affects from stopping but my aches and pains from using this are still apparent, I’m hoping my pains /aches are not permanent after only 3 months of use.”

TeddyB · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2019

“After stopping this drug for 20 days I still have leg/hip/groin pain on left side when standing. Laying down is fine but as soon as I stand up the pain shoots through my hips, groin and thigh. Does anybody know when these side affects will go away if ever. I have to take Tylenol or Excederin to help with the pain and this can’t be good either. Do not take this if at all possible.”