User Reviews for Amlodipine to treat High Blood Pressure (Page 3)

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine Rating Summary

4.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Amlodipine

Bob · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 18, 2019

“I am 67 years old. Been taking amlodipine since April of this year. Taking 5mg but sometimes split in half. Side effects have been very vivid dreams, occasional constipation. Lately I started checking my BP in the evening and it is much higher. Morning BP is in the range of 124/75 while evening runs 154/ 80 or higher. Take BP meds in morning. Going back to doc to see if the dose is wearing off by evening and I need to split dose and take half in the morning and the other half at night or take a higher dose.”

Bossy · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2019

“I got a HORRIBLE petechial rash on my lower legs. I've had it for a couple of years, along with foot numbness and tingling and edema of the ankles. Severe hip and lower back pain. I recently connected the dots and realized it all started when I began taking Amlodipine. I weaned myself off of it and the rash is already going away and my body pains have disappeared.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2019

“Started this for recent hypertension. It caused me to swell up like the Goodyear blimp. Also pressure across my chest. Horrible drug.”

Maime · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2019

“DO NOT take this medication amlodipine. I only took it for 5 weeks, for high blood pressure, but it was the worse 5 weeks of my life from the side effects. Extreme fatigue, weakness, headaches, trips to the ER. There were times I felt so weak and sick I literally thought it was the end of me. On a different medication now but took a couple of weeks to get amlodipine out of my system and recover from the adverse side affects.”

Red Alert · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 14, 2019

“On amlodipine 8 years, 1st 4 years no problems, started having pain that got worst over time, 2 months ago my mom was hospitalized with swollen legs, they took her off her BP med, the swelling was a side effect. Yep amlodipine, I never knew we were on the same med. Did my research, I had 15 side effects. I took myself off after ordering holistic alternatives. I had had chronic pain every day for 2 to 3 years some days worst than others, but always pain. I could no longer workout, I could barely move, hip pain, muscle pain, joint pain, no mobility/flexibility were so unbearable on some days all I could was cry, gained 50lbs, loss my libido, anxiety, brain fog & more. I've been off the amlodipine 6 weeks & 98% pain free, mobility/flexibility coming back, I'm working out & maintaining BP. I'm ageing backwards now, I felt like an old woman, but getting younger everyday. I will do all I can thru nutrition, holistic medicine, and working out to be healthy. My mom had a lot of the same side effects, she is no longer using her cane. Be your own advocate.”

mms December 9, 2019

“I was only on Amlodipine (lowest dose)for a couple of weeks and began fighting severe constipation. Stool softeners, enemas could not keep me from finally getting a blocked bowel after a week without any of the above helping. I also had swelling in my ankles and feet and legs and stomach from water retention, something I had controlled with a low salt diet, but could not control it on this medicine. Also, started having foot and leg cramps after 3 weeks on it. At the 6 weeks date, I had such terrible foot and leg cramps, I was yelling with pain for probably 20 minutes and my feet were curled to one side so I could not stand to walk it out. I am off it and all the above symptoms are gone. I will never take it again for any reason. I have never been more miserable than on this medication.”

Mailboxhead · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 8, 2019

“I was diagnosed pre-hypertensive with some spikes so we put me on 5mg amlodipine . For the first 6 months it was great. Then the anxiety started to pick up after year 1. Then by about 18 months in, I was REALLY anxious. Couldn't sleep, couldn't concentrate. I noticed muscle tics all the time, heart palpitations, more joint pains, memory loss and more. Dr. Google helped feed this obsession and I had myself convinced I had contracted some fatal condition (ALS, MS, etc...). After every specialist I could find, we decided it was anxiety. Then one day I read someone's account of anxiety and amlodipine. I asked my cardiologist and we decided to try a switch. Today I am back to my old self. Even better because I added those other coping habits in. I write this not because amlodipine is bad. BUT, if you're like me and a few years in and dealing with anxiety, switch it out. Don't wait as long as I did. It's not a hard drug to move off of and onto something else.”

godfrey · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 5, 2019

“33 male who has being on Amlodipine for almost 4 years for high blood pressure. My bp was really high because of family history. I have started it with 5 mg and doctor increased it to 10 mg while on it it actually works and lower my BP. But the side effect were very bad, face swelling, lost of concentration, leg swelling , fatigue and drowsiness. I have decided to come off of it. It's been almost two weeks now and I have never felt better. I have always being active and doing cardio in the gym. I look and feel really great. People started seeing the difference and telling me that I have lost weight. So possible side effect is weight gain. My BP still a bit high but i decided to live a healthy life to reduce my BP if possible.”

Dave December 4, 2019

“Doctor put me on 5mg amlodipine one time daily I was on it for 10 days and about the forth day I was noticing no energy fatigue extremely light headed and like everything around you was moving I stopped it over 10 days ago and still are having major side effects this drug is poison stay away”

Cookie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

“I started this drug on Aug 3, 2019 for the second time this year ! I went off it earlier in the year because of the severe calf pain, they just ache all the time ! Tried to diet and exercise to Lower BP but genetics kinda took over ! So, I started the drug again just to make sure I wasn’t crazy the first time and sure enough with in about 6 weeks the same ache was back ! Darn it. So doctor prescribed losarten and reading about that it sounds like worse side effects ! BP is 123/94 , not sure what to do now but def going off this drug , I want to walk normal again! Make sure u read before you take any drug!”

Cookie · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 25, 2019

“I thought Amlodipine was good for my pressure. After taking it for several years, I find out different. I had been asking my doc to change my med but he insisted that it was working for me when others could not handle it. Now I find a lump on my neck, end of story. I am very upset.”

Kokomojoe · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2019

“I’ve been on this medication amlodipine a few months. At first everything was great. Good blood pressure, no side effects. However, about three weeks ago, I started to have awful flushing, (Thinking I may have carcinoid syndrome), fatigue, nausea, and chills. The chills have been so bad that at times I shake uncontrollably. I could see my Dr chuckle when I said, “I think I’m having a reaction to the amlodipine.” After reading stories on this site, I made the executive decision to stop taking this. That was two days ago. I’m feeling only slightly better, but this stuff stays in your system for up to 11 days. It has been like I have the flu. I’m currently hoping for more improvement even as my blood pressure goes up. The trade-off is much better than these side effects. Also, I’ve recently had a clean upper and lower GI scope, so no carcinoid.”

HL · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2019

“The shape of eight-side LU H12 has 16 corners witch make my throat painful when I swallow the medicine.”

Belle · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 18, 2019

“Female, 39. Have been taking 10mg amlodipine for 2 months now with no side effects and my bp has come down. My mum also takes 10mg and has done for several years with no problem.”

BJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2019

“I started this amlodipine prescription in July for HBP and over time I’ve developed increasing incidents of choking on food, is it a side effect? Last night, my tongue thickened & I felt the need to cough. I had reaction to Lisinopril in July causing my soft pallet to close up. I went to ER & was told to never take that drug again. My tongue swelling reminded me of that event. I’ll be calling my doc today to stop taking Amlodipine as I think I don’t tolerate this drug either. ”

Dot · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 9, 2019

“I have been taking 2.5 amlodipine for probably five years I've recently had spikes in my morning blood pressure so my doctor prescribed me 5 mg. I've done it for two nights in a row. I'm not doing it a third night I am having the most vivid dreams, I am incredibly lightheaded, I've got a pounding headache, I'm very off balance. I literally have to hold on to the walls to get from one room to the next. I've laid in bed all day I have zero energy and you're doubling my dose is definitely not working for me”

Notsohappypatient November 8, 2019

“My doctor gave me 10mg amlodipine prescribed dose to take along with another blood pressure medication. Then started the headaches which did subside. Then heart rate slowed way down after about 3-4 months from 75 beats a minute to as low as 44! Then preceding that I started getting excruciating leg muscle pains in my left leg along with terrible hip joint pain as well as knee and ankle pain. At times I was limping like an old man. My doctor noticed my swollen ankles and said it was a known side effect of the amlodipine and prescribed a diuretic which did remove the swelling but with a cost! I was nauseated and could hardly eat and my hip pain and joint pain remained. I decided neither was worth the cost of my comfort so I have stopped the diuretic and reduced the amlodipine to 5mg. The muscle and hip pain and nausea stopped after a few days but the knee joint still slightly aches. I’m going to stop taking the amlodipine soon and after reading the terrible side effects of amlodipine.”

Popsy · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 30, 2019

“I have been taking amlodipine for a long time for blood pressure - one of the 3 tablets I take. However most days I find it really difficult to swallow. Not sure if it’s the shape - which is not conducive to easy swallowing or the dryness of the texture. I take a lot of meds & this is the only one I have a problem with - I choke on it most days!”

My cats name is Eudo · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

“I have been on amlodipine for about 3 weeks now. The first week was the worst with the crazy fast heartbeats, sweating, farting and the hot flashes. But after that week the symptoms started to subside and now the only thing I have is lightheaded when I stand up too fast. My blood pressure was crazy high like 220/119 stroke level, and now after the medication it's around 157/99. It has gotten better but since I have a history of high blood pressure, my numbers will always be high.”

vkj · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

“Started a little over a week ago taking amlodipine for High blood pressure (5 mg) It has gone down so far from a steady 150/110 to 137/95 so it is working already. I had only mild headaches my first couple of days but no other symptoms and headaches now are gone. I think it is going to be great for me.”

TeddyB · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2019

“After using for 3 months amlodipine 10mg developed pain in lower back, groin, thigh and calf on left side only. Stopped taking 7-22-2019 and pain is still there. Does any user know how long painful side affects last or have lasted to those who have had same aches and pains.”

Cedric October 14, 2019

“I'm a 59 year old male, I've been taking 10mg of Amlodipine for more that 10 years, it is the only drug that will take my HBP down to normal levels, I've tried other drugs and they don't work for me. The only problem I have with Amlodipine is, if I drink a glass of wine, later at night, my feet are swelling a little bit. I learned how deal with it. I have never felt other side effects other than the swelling.”

Subrata · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2019

“I have been using this drug amlodipine 5 mg every night for last one month. I am 57 and blood pressure is remaining absolutely unchanged at 160/90. I don't know what else should I try, need to see doctor”

Bingham · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2019

“5mg amlodipine with 100mg losartan. Initially good result but after a few weeks pain in hips, thigh and leg muscles rendering walking a painful process. Mind dulling experience also. Depression, anxiety and lack of motivation.”

Janet · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 8, 2019

“I have used Amlodipine 5 mg for 1.5 years. Worked really well to bring my BP down from really high. After a while I started having issues with my intestines. I stopped eating several foods because I reacted bad, got eczema under my eyes. Woke up most nights because I had stomach pains after urinating and such. I stopped with the amlodipine after consulting my GP and within 2 days all my issues disappeared.... however, still have high BP now so must look for alternative I guess.”