User Reviews for Amlodipine to treat Migraine Prevention

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine has an average rating of 9.0 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 89% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Amlodipine Rating Summary

9.0/10 average rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amlodipine

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2012

Norvasc (amlodipine): “I started taking Norvasc after trying many other meds. including Topamax which had too many bad side effects for me. So far since starting about a month ago; I have only had 1 headache and that was at the very beginning. No side effects. I was having headaches which was affected by weather pressure; about 1 a week. So nice not to have them and to feel good on this medication.”

Anonymous September 12, 2011

Norvasc (amlodipine): “Norvasc was given to me to treat migraine headaches. I am 28 years old. I was having them as frequently as every other day. I dealt with this for five years before being prescribed Norvasc. After two months of taking a 5mg dosage, I can say I am a new person!”

Peter January 9, 2021

“Had migraine since I was 19 and now 45. Would get at least 1 a week that was manageable but very few weeks one that was horrendous and every 6 months 1 that would leave me stuck In bed all day wiped out and all my nervous system was on edge. Felt like my senses were all over the place not even able to focus on opening a door handle. Started taking Amlodipine 8 weeks ago and realised today I’ve not had a single migraine. No visual disturbances or other aura issues either. Minimal occasional headache that goes away without any need for pain relievers. Glad that this medication has another effect. I suspected this would be the case as it widens the blood vessels and one of my consultants suggested my migraines were caused when the blood vessels contract causing the Migraine.”

cghipp April 19, 2012

Norvasc (amlodipine): “I was given Norvasc to replace Lisinopril after I started having constant coughing. I take it for hypertension, but I am a frequent migraine sufferer, especially due to changes in air pressure and to exercise. The first week on Norvasc, I had a migraine all day, every day. The following week, I took no migraine medication (Imitrex) or OTC meds at all - even though we had two days when I would normally have had weather-related issues, and I played tennis on another day. I did have swollen feet the first few days, but I increased my water intake and that seems to be the key for me. So far I'm very impressed with the results.”

Andy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 14, 2020

“Had regular unilateral migraines for many years and used to take Sumatriptan once per week. No history of high blood pressure. I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg eight weeks ago, and haven't had a migraine since. I have had no side effects either. The first 2-3 days I had a mild bilateral headache, but since then, nothing at all.”

MzCarrieBabyyy September 20, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine): “I had no idea my physician prescribed this to me for migraines. I was initially prescribed this for hypertension. I also have migraines, but since taking this, my headaches have decreased dramatically. I rarely have a migraine any more. It's been a blessing! I love this medication. It's worked wonders for my quality of life.”

Fireman Ron January 18, 2015

“I am a 62 male, served as a fireman for 33 years, and suffered with migraine at least two a week from the age of 21. Mine being related to food, alcohol, vinegar etc. Has been hell for years. I have tried all the so called preventative medicines to no avail, but managed to control them with Imigran. Last year I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg for slightly high blood pressure. To my amazement my migraine has stopped completely. So I have gone from two a week to zero! Life changing to say the least. I now enjoy alcohol, pizza, cheese, vinegar, chocolate ! Hope this helps someone to live a normal life.”

Lightwithin · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 2, 2020

“My cardiologist started me on Amlodipine for coronary artery spasms a year and a half ago. It was a miracle, from the first day on this medication I never had another migraine headache. The cardiologist was surprised to hear that my migraines were gone. I had migraines for 46 years. Now I have normal headaches that stop within an hour. I asked the cardiologist if Amlodipine could be taken the rest of my life. He told me that it is safe to take it as long as necessary. I didn't have any side effects that presented. I thank goodness for bringing me through the events that led me to this medication.”

Anonymous December 13, 2013

“I would get migraines weekly and when it wasn't a migraine it was a headache that turned into a tension headache and later lead back to a migraine. I tried everything and was put on everything. Finally, I tried amlodipine and the next day, no headache no migraine. I was amazed. I take it every night before bed. I didn't feel dizzy and haven't had any swelling. I was worried cause my blood pressure runs low already, but I'm doing so much better now and no side effects.”

Coco · Taken for 10 years or more January 10, 2020

Norvasc (amlodipine): “Have been taking Norvasc 5mg (started with 2.5 mg but had to go to 5mg) since 1997/98 to prevent migraines . My internist at the time had read about it being used to prevent Migraines so he had me try it! WHAT a relief! I don’t get migraines any longer and rarely have even mild headaches! I tried to stop it once to see if I still needed it........not a good idea! Got back on it! Also, discovered generic isn’t affective on me so have to use brand Norvasc.”

Alaurinat · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2020

“Prescribed amlodipine in 2010, to prevent migraines and not had a migraine since. Very mild 'regular' headaches once in a blue moon. Take it for Angina and am 47. Had consistent migraines from 7 to 37.”

NaijaGirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2019

“This drug amlodipine has me feeling like it is the end of my life. When I take it, I immediately feel nauseated and it is followed by the worst migraine I’ve ever had. I’m going to the doctor on Monday for them to change my meds.”

Trshmi · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2014

“I was prescribed this medication for borderline hypertension 140/90. I have also had migraines with aura for years. I have tried many medicines. For the first 3 days, I had a headache. After that, bam, no more migraines with auras and very few headaches. It is incredible. I take 2.5 mg per day. I finally have my life back!”

AZRhonda · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2020

“I have had horrible migraines for 30 years. At 62 my BP got a little high and I was prescribed amlodipine. I haven’t had to take an Imitrex in 6 weeks. This medicine has been LIFE CHANGING for me :) :) :)”

Hoofbag · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2015

“Just as the above, my life has been changed as a result of starting on Amlodipine. I was prescribed it for my hypertension, and my migraines have completely disappeared. I suffered migraine three days a week. I mentioned this to my GP and he told me this makes perfect sense. Migraine, I'm told, is a consequence of blood vessels in the head being in spasm and Amlodipine has a 'stabilizing' effect on these blood vessels.”

Ellen G · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2014

“Just started this medication a month ago to treat migraine--also a little borderline hypertension--two birds with one stone. First week on 5 mg. I needed Imitrex 5 out of 7 days. Then, I went up to 10mg per doctor's orders, and the headaches stopped. If this keeps up, yes, this is a miracle. Have suffered with migraines almost 40 years--and have tried lots of meds including Imitrex which was a lifesaver and Botox which helped initially but not for very long. As for side effects, no swelling--maybe a little fatigue. I was on loads of Excredrin and probably 3 Imitrex a week. So glad to be able to get off these meds. Still keeping them around just in case but am very encouraged with amlodipine.”

TinFL March 31, 2014

“Through the years I had tried NUMEROUS meds for migraines to the point that my neurologist sent me to a migraine specialist because he had run out of ideas. The specialist put me on Norvasc and within a week, my migraines had completely stopped. I have not had this kind of relief in years! He had even gotten me approved for Botox and when I told him my positive results, he cancelled the Botox. Love this medicine.”

Chronic Headaches January 25, 2021

“I suffered from chronic headaches below and above my eyes. It had gotten worse over the years. Never had any specific pattern. Was being affected 3-4 times a week. Intensity was sporadic, nausea, not being able to live life normally. All you do is want to sleep until it goes away. Taking pain pills way too much... I had high blood pressure that was getting worse as well every year. My doctor put me on amlodipine 5mg daily for this. Headaches were gone. Every now and then I feel them come on but never to the intensity as before. I was recommended so may other drugs to cure my headaches but no one ever mentioned amlodipine. This drug also helped lower my blood pressure (was 150/100 and now 130/90 avg. I was told blood pressure does not cause headaches generally (unless very high). So maybe something else the amlodipine is doing to the blood vessels to alleviate the headaches.”

MargieW91 July 16, 2015

“This medication changed my life! At age 60 I thought I would go to my grave with a migraine. This started at around age 16. Then being diagnosed with high blood preasure I ran the gambet of a few different drugs to figure out what worked best for me. In the fine tuning stages of treatment I was prescribed Amlodipine in combination with another drug. Life changing!!!!! I had migraines at least 3 times a week and suddenly I realised it had been 2 weeks, then 3 then a month, then 2......no headache! Why oh why did it take all this time to figure it out! So very Happy with my new life!!!!!!!”

UK migraine patient · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 25, 2019

“I had severe headaches often accompanied by nausea and vomiting my whole life. I have been on migraine tablets for over 20 years but the only relief in terms of prevention came from being prescribed with Amlodipine for moderately elevated blood pressure. I take one 10 mg a day and have reduced my painkiller use to once 1-2 weeks with no further episode of vomiting ever since starting these tablets 5 years ago. It has been life changing for me.”

Bionicle3112 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 17, 2015

“Suffered migraines for many years getting them once a week or more, Doctor prescribed Imigran, at onset, not much use when you are sick with them, anyway, I was told I had hypertension, prescribed Amlodpine, 5 MG initially and then 10MG! Almost immediately the migraine were gone, I changed blood pressure medication once on the advice of my Doctor, the migraines came back with two days, back on Amlodipine for me, no more migraine, I went to the pharmacist who explained why it works in this way, I would recommend. Miracle stuff.”

Slim · Taken for 10 years or more July 15, 2018

“In 2005 my doctor recommended taking Norvasc 4 high blood pressure I only take 5 mg a day and I noted beginning with that time frame I never got another headache again and I had suffered from migraines for 30 years it is now 2018 and I still haven't had one headache not even a minor headache and I can drink beer, alcohol and never nothing causes a headache it's just amazing it's almost a miracle thank you doctor.”

Trish · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2019

“I have been suffering with migraines approx 3 a week since I was 18 I am now 71 the only thing that worked was Zolmatritan (Zomig) and have tried everything over the years but then I was put on Amlodipine and the migraines have completely stopped- it's brilliant after all these years. I have now been on Amlodipine for palpitations about 4 months and haven't had a migraine for about 3 and a half months.”

Conanette · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 3, 2014

“I started having menstrual migraines monthly in my mid-thirties. They had gotten to the point of lasting upwards of 18 hours with uncontrollable vomiting and moderate pain for a day or two before and after the migraine. I started taking Treximet and an anti-nausua medicine which did work when the migraine started but was still living my life around avoiding triggers. I also developed mild hypertension during these years. My dr. prescribed 2.5mg amlopine and the migraines decreased in intensity. He upped dosage over time to control the hypertension and my migraine intensity decreased proportionally each time. By the time I got to 10mg, the migraines were gone. I still get a little headachy each month, but it's just that, a mild headache.”

David66 December 29, 2016

“Prescribed for BP but also nearly eliminated migraines. I started having migraines 13 years ago and high BP 1 year ago. My first BP prescription was 5-10mg amlodipine daily. It lowered my BP and *almost* more importantly nearly eliminated all migraines (from previous 2-3 per month to a few for the year of which none were severe enough to require real migraine medications). I believe amlodipine has also expanded and intensified whatever fatigue I might normally experience, but *for me* that is an acceptable tradeoff (yes, fatigue can be limiting, but migraines are limiting and excruciatingly painful). I can see where a person taking amlodipine only for BP might be unhappy with the side effects, but the migraines are far far worse.”