User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Amlodipine Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amlodipine to treat Migraine Prevention

"Prescribed for BP but also nearly eliminated migraines. I started having migraines 13 years ago and high BP 1 year ago. My first BP prescription was 5-10mg amlodipine daily. It lowered my BP and *almost* more importantly nearly eliminated all migraines (from previous 2-3 per month to a few for the year of which none were severe enough to require real migraine medications). I believe amlodipine has also expanded and intensified whatever fatigue I might normally experience, but *for me* that is an acceptable tradeoff (yes, fatigue can be limiting, but migraines are limiting and excruciatingly painful). I can see where a person taking amlodipine only for BP might be unhappy with the side effects, but the migraines are far far worse."

David66 December 29, 2016

"Using 5mg since 8 months. It prevents me from severe pain in the base of my skull (perhaps occipital neuralgia). The important point to be noted in my case is the timing of taking the medicine. I mostly get the pains in early morning while in deep sleep. Before taking this med, I would wake up in severe pain that would last until I take a painkiller. Than I started taking amlodipine 5mg at night. However, I need to take the medicine about 10~12 hours before the onset of the pain. If I am late, I would get the pain on the same time in morning in spite of taking the pill. However, in such case, the pain gradually diminishes as the time approaches to the required time. Looking forward to hear from those suffering from similar conditions."

Ednaun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2016

"Started taking amlodipine 5 mg for high blood pressure and to my delight it has reduced my migraines to about once a month instead of 3-4 per week! I have been on other meds for high BP but they did not lessen my migraines (verapamil, lisonpril, bystolic to name a few). I am so happy this drug has helped with my migraines. I had given up hope on finding a migraine preventative. To fellow migraine sufferers: Keep trying different high BP meds until you find one that works for you."

Faerychica (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine): "I had no idea my physician prescribed this to me for migraines. I was initially prescribed this for hypertension. I also have migraines, but since taking this, my headaches have decreased dramatically. I rarely have a migraine any more. It's been a blessing! I love this medication. It's worked wonders for my quality of life."

MzCarrieBabyyy September 20, 2016

Norvasc (amlodipine): "I get migraines every day. Been taking 2.5 mg of Norvasc for about 6 months and still getting migraines everyday. Does not seem to be helping."

mom151231 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2016

"Last summer I was in the hospital because of a stroke. To stabilize my blood pressure my Dr. used 4 different pills including amlodipine. I once got migraines once a month or more. I haven't had one in 11months. I think they're gone and I DON'T MISS THEM AT ALL. Thank you for amlodipine."

Anonymous June 23, 2016

"I have had hormonal migraines sine I was 17. I would have horrible migraines through my menstrual cycle each month. I developed high blood pressure & my doctor prescribed Linsinopril & when that didn't lower it enough he added Amlodipine. I took it for about 9 months and never had a migraine which was wonderful. BUT, I developed waves of severe fatigue and was feeling crappy all over much of the time. I developed swelling in my feet & ankles & my diastolic blood pressure was almost 100 all the time. I researched the medicines I've been taking & decided to monitor my blood pressure & stop the Amlodipine. I instantly felt better & my blood pressure actually went down. Don't know if migraine will return. Not worth the side effects!"

Mspamz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2016

"Writing again, I guess amlodipine has something to do with my sleep stages. I feel some changes in the depth of night sleep. Before taking this med, I was generally having very deep and unconscious type night sleeps and regular migraines in the base of skull (occipital nerves) after awakening in the morning. Whenever I was very tired and feeling very sleepy before going to bed in the night, I woke up in the mid night due to severe pain in the base of the skull. Whenever I suddenly awaken from deep sleep due to external interruption, I found myself a bit confused for some time. With amlodipine, I have moderate depth of sleep and don't get confused if suddenly awaken / interrupted from sleep. No migraines so far."

Ednaun (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

"10 mg amlodipine at night do wonders for my migraines and headaches. Gave it 9 instead of 10 bc of ankle swelling. Had migraines all my life (now 62 yo), went through a complete list of migraine preventives at least 4 times before I gave up. Tried verapamil (also CCB) but it did not do the trick. I had daily headaches. Was on high doses of daily tryptans. A year ago, my bp started to rise (150/90 vs 110/60) and I got worried bc tryptans are generally contraindicated in patients with high bp. Ran into several case report publications suggesting almost miracle results after migraine pts were given amlodipine. My pcp cooperated. I stated very slowly with 2.5 mg a day and felt positive results right away."

bos5 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

"The first 2/3 days were very encouraging. It helped me a lot. but afterwards I had severe side effects, chronic diarrhea, vomiting, nausea etc. generally feeling really crap, so that i had to stay home for a couple of days. Even a reduction in dosage didn't help much. switched to verapamil, which works similarly, but practically without side effects for me."

avalokiteshwara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"I am a 44 male. After trying lots of meds for migraine, I just started Norvasc 5mg. I was having at least two episodes of severe attacks a week. The pain would concentrate on occipital nerves in the base of the skull and radiate both upward and downward. I am a migraine sufferer since childhood. Norvasc changed my life. I am 3 weeks on this med and no migraine as yet. While the experience with this med is great, I am wondering for how long I need to take it. I feel myself kinda addicted. No life if I am unable to take this med."

Ednaun (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

"This medication changed my life! At age 60 I thought I would go to my grave with a migraine. This started at around age 16. Then being diagnosed with high blood preasure I ran the gambet of a few different drugs to figure out what worked best for me. In the fine tuning stages of treatment I was prescribed Amlodipine in combination with another drug. Life changing!!!!! I had migraines at least 3 times a week and suddenly I realised it had been 2 weeks, then 3 then a month, then 2......no headache! Why oh why did it take all this time to figure it out! So very Happy with my new life!!!!!!!"

MargieW91 July 16, 2015

"Just as the above, my life has been changed as a result of starting on Amlodipine. I was prescribed it for my hypertension, and my migraines have completely disappeared. I suffered migraine three days a week. I mentioned this to my GP and he told me this makes perfect sense. Migraine, I'm told, is a consequence of blood vessels in the head being in spasm and Amlodipine has a 'stabilizing' effect on these blood vessels."

Hoofbag (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2015

"Suffered migraines for many years getting them once a week or more, Doctor prescribed Imigran, at onset, not much use when you are sick with them, anyway, I was told I had hypertension, prescribed Amlodpine, 5 MG initially and then 10MG! Almost immediately the migraine were gone, I changed blood pressure medication once on the advice of my Doctor, the migraines came back with two days, back on Amlodipine for me, no more migraine, I went to the pharmacist who explained why it works in this way, I would recommend. Miracle stuff."

Bionicle3112 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 17, 2015

"I am a 62 male, served as a fireman for 33 years, and suffered with migraine at least two a week from the age of 21. Mine being related to food, alcohol, vinegar etc. Has been hell for years. I have tried all the so called preventative medicines to no avail, but managed to control them with Imigran. Last year I was prescribed Amlodipine 5mg for slightly high blood pressure. To my amazement my migraine has stopped completely. So I have gone from two a week to zero! Life changing to say the least. I now enjoy alcohol, pizza, cheese, vinegar, chocolate ! Hope this helps someone to live a normal life."

Fireman Ron January 18, 2015

"Just started this medication a month ago to treat migraine--also a little borderline hypertension--two birds with one stone. First week on 5 mg. I needed Imitrex 5 out of 7 days. Then, I went up to 10mg per doctor's orders, and the headaches stopped. If this keeps up, yes, this is a miracle. Have suffered with migraines almost 40 years--and have tried lots of meds including Imitrex which was a lifesaver and Botox which helped initially but not for very long. As for side effects, no swelling--maybe a little fatigue. I was on loads of Excredrin and probably 3 Imitrex a week. So glad to be able to get off these meds. Still keeping them around just in case but am very encouraged with amlodipine."

Ellen G (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2014

"Through the years I had tried NUMEROUS meds for migraines to the point that my neurologist sent me to a migraine specialist because he had run out of ideas. The specialist put me on Norvasc and within a week, my migraines had completely stopped. I have not had this kind of relief in years! He had even gotten me approved for Botox and when I told him my positive results, he cancelled the Botox. Love this medicine."

TinFL March 31, 2014

"I was prescribed this medication for borderline hypertension 140/90. I have also had migraines with aura for years. I have tried many medicines. For the first 3 days, I had a headache. After that, bam, no more migraines with auras and very few headaches. It is incredible. I take 2.5 mg per day. I finally have my life back!"

Trshmi (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2014

"I started having menstrual migraines monthly in my mid-thirties. They had gotten to the point of lasting upwards of 18 hours with uncontrollable vomiting and moderate pain for a day or two before and after the migraine. I started taking Treximet and an anti-nausua medicine which did work when the migraine started but was still living my life around avoiding triggers. I also developed mild hypertension during these years. My dr. prescribed 2.5mg amlopine and the migraines decreased in intensity. He upped dosage over time to control the hypertension and my migraine intensity decreased proportionally each time. By the time I got to 10mg, the migraines were gone. I still get a little headachy each month, but it's just that, a mild headache."

Conanette (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2014

"I would get migraines weekly and when it wasn't a migraine it was a headache that turned into a tension headache and later lead back to a migraine. I tried everything and was put on everything. Finally, I tried amlodipine and the next day, no headache no migraine. I was amazed. I take it every night before bed. I didn't feel dizzy and haven't had any swelling. I was worried cause my blood pressure runs low already, but I'm doing so much better now and no side effects."

Anonymous December 13, 2013

"I have had chronic migraines for almost three years. Tried many different medicines and supplements. I was put on amlodipine and it worked almost immediately. I haven't had a headache in four and half weeks since starting the medicine. It is a miracle. Swelling in ankles, but it's a lot better than 2 migraines a week!"

Cured? December 11, 2013

"I did a lot of research. Amlodipine seems to be the best migraine preventative for those of us with stubborn nearly daily migraines that don't seem to respond to the typical medications, at least in the long term. I was on two other preventatives for years: Inderal and Amitriptyline. I am now weaning off of both these other medications. I was getting about one headache a week for the first couple weeks at 10 mg, now I think it's been two weeks since my last one. No side effects for me. It's a miracle. Verapamil seems to have the same effect, but requires very high doses up to 720 mg/day. You MUST try this medication if you have tried the others without lasting effects."

hintonmj August 26, 2013

"The doctor prescribed me with Amlodipine Besylate 5mg for borderline (140/90) hypertension in April 2012. I used to get migraine attack at least once a month due to work stress, eye stress and insufficient sleep. On the day I started Amlodipine until now, migraine is now history to me. Only then, I realize "side-effect" from medication can be a blessing!"

OngMK (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 14, 2013

"I used to get migraines 2 days out of every 3, and 2 Excedrin would work about half the time, the other half I needed Imitrex. After about a month of taking 5 mg/day of amlodipine, which was initially prescribed for borderline hypertension (140/90), my headaches went to once/week, and they were all treatable with one 1 Excedrin. I only need Imitrex now once every two months instead of of two or three times a week. What a difference in my life! I don't understand why this medication isn't used more frequently for migraine sufferers."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2012

Norvasc (amlodipine): "I started taking Norvasc after trying many other meds. including Topamax which had too many bad side effects for me. So far since starting about a month ago; I have only had 1 headache and that was at the very beginning. No side effects. I was having headaches which was affected by weather pressure; about 1 a week. So nice not to have them and to feel good on this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2012

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate