Nitroglycerin use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Nitroglycerin: Nitrostat, NitroQuick, Nitro-Dur, Nitrolingual Pumpspray, Nitro-Bid, Minitran, Nitrogard, NitroMist, Nitroglyn E-R, Nitrostat Tablets, Show all 25 »Tridil, Nitro TD Patch-A, Rectiv, Nitrol, Transderm-Nitro, Nitro-Time, Nitrodisc, Nitrocot, Deponit, Nitrong, Nitro-Par, Nitro-Bid IV, Nitrol Appli-Kit, Nitrek, GoNitro
Nitroglycerin Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Topical use of nitroglycerin for anal fissures by nursing mothers appears to have no adverse effects on their breastfed infants. Topical use on the nipples has been used for alleviation of Raynaud phenomenon of the nipples, but only after cessation of breastfeeding. It should not be used topically on the nipples during breastfeeding. Sublingual and intravenous nitroglycerin have not been studied during breastfeeding. Observe infants for flushing and discomfort after breastfeeding.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Forty nursing mothers used nitroglycerin ointment (dosage not specified) topically for the treatment of postpartum anal fissures for durations ranging from 1 use to 12 months of intermittent use. All but 9 of the women reported side effects from therapy, primarily headache, but also dizziness or lightheadedness. None of the mothers reported any side effects in their breastfed infants.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. O'Sullivan S, Keith MP. Raynaud phenomenon of the nipple: a rare finding in rheumatology clinic. J Clin Rheumatol. 2011;17:371-2. PMID: 21946463
2. Taylor T, Kennedy D. Safety of topical glyceryl trinitrate in the treatment of anal fissure in breastfeeding women. Birth Defects Research Part a-Clinical and Molecular Teratology. 2008;82:411. Abstract. DOI: doi:10.1002/bdra.20478
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about nitroglycerin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 23 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antianginal agents
- Nitroglycerin oral/sublingual
- Nitroglycerin rectal
- Nitroglycerin topical
- Nitroglycerin transdermal
- Nitroglycerin Sublingual Tablets
- ... +11 more