User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety (Page 4)

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, Inderal XL InnoPran XL

Propranolol has an average rating of 9.6 out of 10 from a total of 422 ratings for the treatment of Performance Anxiety. 97% of those users who reviewed Propranolol reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 average rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

Carlsberg! December 11, 2015

“I thought I was going to have to drop out of college because I was completely unable to do any kind of presentation in front of the class. I actually am very social and have no other kind of anxiety, but when it came time for me to do a presentation, I couldn't talk, my hands were shaking, my heart was going to race out of my chest, and I was sweating heavily. I literally ran out of the classroom and stayed in the bathroom the whole time. I tried again and again and failed each time I tried to present. The anxiety was AWFUL. I went to my PCP and asked her about Propanolol (I'd been researching possible meds) and she had no problem prescribing it. I've had two presentations this week and I did them like a boss! This is a wonder drug!”

swizzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

“I am a senior in college and have struggled with public speaking my entire life - from extreme panic the moment I hear about a presentation, to extreme body shaking, heart palpitations, shaky voice and hands, and any other physiological fight or flight response you could imagine during a presentation. My heart races and my face turns red even when a professor calls on me in class, and I recently got prescribed propranolol to help with public speaking anxiety...and let me just say...this medication is a MAGICAL pill. I never ever thought I would overcome my public speaking fear, but the first time I took 20 mg a few hours before a chemistry presentation, I spoke confidently and had absolutely no anxiety or body shaking before, during, or after. I wish I discovered this medicine way earlier because I highly highly recommend it if you have any sort of speaking anxiety!!!!”

Glad I Found It! · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 9, 2014

“Like many here, I turned to Inderal for public speaking anxiety. I actually was even going to leave the job and used all kinds of excuses in my head (the job was bad, I hated my boss, etc, etc), none of which were true. Plain and simple, it was public speaking fear. The first one without Inderal had the familiar feelings having an out of body experience, the chest tightness, the nervousness. I got through it but immediately started searching the net when I got home and found the Inderal forums. Best medicine ever and so glad I found it. I've nailed every presentation since and speak calmly and confidently now. All the physical symptoms are gone when I have to speak. I usually take 30-40mg 1.5 to 1 hour before I am due to speak. Recommend!”

Miracle pill March 1, 2014

“Like lots of you that have commented. I have a huge fear of speaking in front of large groups of people. I'm in sales and I'm great in 1 on 1 or smalls groups when making a sales call. But when I'm asked to speak or get up and talk in company sales meetings that usually consist of 50 people. I freak out instant red face shaky hands trembling voice the whole 9 yards. I was to the point of making a career change from a job that I loved because I lost hope in fixing this problem. Until my doctor prescribed me propranolol or the miracle pill! I take 1 20mg pill about 1 hour before a meeting and 1 take another 10mg right before the meeting. I loose all fear no shaky hands no red face my heart rate is calm I think clear and speak well. Love it.”

Kayy58 September 12, 2009

Inderal (propranolol): “Started having panic attacks with anxiety about 6 months ago. Started taking Inderal 20 mg - once in the morning. Noticed significant improvement the first day. This drug has been awesome for me! Was also given Xanax at the same time but I only feel I need it occasionally.”

lmnop657 · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2014

“I am a professional in my late 20s who has had to do a lot of public speaking as of late for work. I have somehow coped with the symptoms of my performance anxiety (extreme heart beat, flushed face, shaking, frozen mind, inability to form complete thoughts, stuttering) until recently since my job depends upon my public speaking and the anxiety has become over burden some. No matter how hard I prepared for public speaking before, I would always experience these debilitating symptoms. Went to doctor who prescribed propranolol before performances. It is really like magic. It completely eliminates my awful physical symptoms. I feel totally relaxed and able to perform to my fullest. Has changed my life! Wish I knew about it years ago!”

Desperate purple · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2015

“I can hardly believe what this drug did for me the very first time I used it. About one hour before doing a huge speech in public which would usually have had my heart racing and terribly embarrassing purple flushing on my neck and face I took 40mg. Then nothing happened. I mean NO symptoms AT ALL! No panic, no heart, and most important no flushing. At all. Miraculous.”

Sean87 September 2, 2019

“I have always suffered from a fear of public speaking and had extreme flight/fight symptoms when I had to present to even a small group. This would see my sweating, blushing, shaking so much I couldn’t hold my papers or drink a glass of water, my voice trembling or cracking and a desperate urge to run from the room.The patronising attitude from people who do not have this debilitating issue and tell you ‘don’t be nervous ‘ or ‘just practice, take deep breaths and be confident ‘, was so unhelpful. I went to my doctor and prescribed 40 mg and tried this before my first job interview in twenty years. I was still naturally nervous and not sure if tablets would work. However, once I started my presentation I could talk clearly,no shaking, lots of eye contact. I simply exuded more and more confidence the more I spoke & I smashed the interview. My only regret is I waited 25 years”

genmod · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2017

“I am a 44 year old female that as dealt with fear of public speaking all my life. I've recently joined an organization where the ability to public speak is a career necessity. I've tried taking Xanax during public speaking engagements. While it would calm me down slightly, it wasn't able to control the adrenaline-induced autonomic responses such as shaky voice. Today I took 80mg of propranolol spaced between 90 minutes to 30 minutes before my presentation and 2 0.5 mg doses of Alprazolam in that 90 minute to 30 minute window before my presentation. I was nervous entering the presentation. As soon as I spoke, no sign of anxiety or shaky voice evident. I was joking and very natural on stage. I am so grateful for these drugs.”

fastmam September 22, 2014

“very good drug .. it helps me to beat my fearing to talk in front of people .. I took 40 mg an hour before my presentition and I feel comfertable without that annoying rapidly heart beating .. highly recommended”

farhatruf March 26, 2014

“Although a very good medicine to overcome the performance anxiety, however one must take into account its two long term side effects: 1. Risk of diabetes due to this medicine 2. memory loss Please share your experience.”

Meg123 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 6, 2016

“This medication is extremely helpful when it comes to performance anxiety. I am currently a 18 year old student and have been struggling with severe performance anxiety since I was in elementary school. Even having to stand up and talk in front of just 2 people would make me freak out and cause an extreme amount of stress and anxiety. I discovered propranolol around a year ago and it has changed my life. I never thought that I would find a solution to my debilitating anxiety, but I can honestly say that this medication works 100% for this issue. I take 30mg an hour before each speech/performance and the physical symptoms of the fight or flight response are completely gone. I recommend this to everyone suffering with this problem.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2015

“I've suffered w. stage fright (panic attacks) while public speaking for 15 years. I finally got an rx for propranolol from my pcp and tried it before a recent presentation. What a GOD SEND. I took 20 mg 1.5 hours prior to my presentation and although I did have some angst and chest tightness prior, once I started speaking the normal heart pounding out of my chest sensation/shortness of breath occasionally spiralling into a full blown panic attack just did not happen. I felt normal and that I could speak for hours. I feel I have my life back now and am excited for what this new confidence will do to my career. I did not notice any side effects. I made sure to drink plenty of water and eat to avoid low blood pressure.”

cnaddy May 1, 2013

“It was a miracle. I'm a sophomore in college and ever since I started college I have been nervous with public speaking. It was always a hot mess. My hands would shake, my voice would tremble, I would speed through everything often missing valuable information. I took one of these about an hour before my presentation and it worked so well! I was able to look up and look at people as I spoke and I was not uncomfortable at all. It really was amazing to stand up there without my usual anxiety. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!”

Rock2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2015

“It's amazing reading this forum about people who go through exactly what you are going through. I'm a confident business professional, some call me almost arrogant, I'm late 40s fit and lead a very healthy lifestyle. I have a fear of being judged so that can affect me horribly socially, even introducing myself in a meeting never mind giving a big speech. I have done every kind of therapy imaginable and taken Xanax with zero success; would even say I got worse. Propranalol is a miracle. Takes away not only fear but fear of fear with no side effects. I need at least 40mg to derive benefit and I'm not a large guy although tall. 40-80mg situationally. Otherwise, I'm going to start at 40mg 2x a day to stay even and in control. Truly a life saver”

EmL January 5, 2011

Inderal (propranolol): “I have had anxiety a lot since high school and it has gotten worse in college. I have taken many different medicines for anxiety and this is by far the best fit for me. I didn't like how I had to take the other medicines everyday whether or not I felt anxious- this one was great for me because my doctor told me I could take it whenever I felt a little more anxiety than normal. I will take it in the morning if I wake up anxious and I have never had an anxiety attack or feelings of being anxious yet. I would highly suggest talking to your doctor about this medicine if anxiety is the issue.”

Perfectionist Lawyer · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2015

“I have read the testimonials of various users herein and decided to try the Propanohol. 10mg was too light for the levels of my anxiety but I just gave a presentation in a foreign country, speaking a foreign language, and it worked perfectly!! I took 40mgs. All that has been said above is true! If you are thinking about and suffering from all of the performance anxiety symptoms, go for it!!! It is a great relied and I thank everyone for sharing their experiences. I felt I had to do the same for others! Best of luck and go shine in your presentations!!”

Patrick1122 October 20, 2015

“Before propranolol I would have extreme anxiety before any public speaking event. My heart felt like it would pound out of my chest and every time I would try to speak my voice would shake uncontrollably. Believe it or not even introducing myself at a conference room table was difficult for me. As each person would say their name and introduce themselves and I could see it getting closer to my turn my heart would start to race uncontrollably. Then when I finally said my name my voice would shake! After I found propranolol everything changed! I was so relaxed in meetings and during any speaking event that I actually started volunteering to give presentations in front of people! 40mg one hour before I speak works wonders for me!”

M September 29, 2019

“I took propranolol for 2 years before any presentations and it saved my life! I suffered terribly before with all the physical symptoms possible. HOWEVER the last month has been horrific - I took 20mg Propranolol and felt chest pain, had difficulty breathing and kept having strong waves of nausea and lightheadedness - I reduced the dose down to the tiniest bit of tablet couldn’t have been more than 5mg (did this a few times) and the symptoms were still there. What do I do now? I must stop Propranolol completely - I just don’t understand how I went from being able to tolerate 40mg or 20 mg with little to no side effects to taking a few mgs and having every side effect possible. (It’s really been the worst 3 weeks of my life) I’ve lost quite a lot of weight recently and now I’m quite slim - would that affect the metabolism of the drug or something? Does anyone have any alternative drug suggestions? I definitely need something!!!”

Liam123 July 2, 2015

“I have had a fear of speaking in front of groups for as far back as I can remember. I dreaded the days when I was assigned a presentation to give in front of my classmates. I tried MANY things to overcome my fear (i.e. hypnosis, practice/repetition, etc), yet nothing seemed to calm my nerves. Often times in college I would choose to receive F's on assignments because it involved giving presentations. My voice would shake, I would get body tremors, rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, and mentally freeze. One day I went to see a doctor and she prescribed me Propranolol. Although I doubted it would work, I took a 20mg dose before a presentation and I couldn't believe the outcome. No more anxious symptoms! So glad I discovered it!”

Kezley · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 7, 2019

“My anxiety of any kind of public speaking became so bad that I’d physically be unable to speak. I’d develop a lump in my throat and wouldn’t be able to get a single word out. It started to take over my life. Then I went back to college as a mature student and had to do a presentation. I was a nervous wreck and went to see my doctor. She prescribed propranolol and what a game changer! I can’t explain how it works but somehow it just does. All the physical symptoms just disappear without you even realising it. I nailed that presentation and have done many more since then. One thing I will add though is that I have to take quite a lot for it to work, usually at least three 40mg tablets one or two tablets an hour before and another two half an hour before. I don’t know how safe that is to be honest but as I only have to take them very occasionally I figure it’s ok!”

No more tremors · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2015

“OMG..... Thus drug works like a charm! I've feated and failed miserably over the years doing oral reports from pure anxiety- even my head would shake! I recently was " forced" to do a presentation for work and simply cannot believe what a difference inderal made taken 1 hr before speaking. I could actually make eye contact with the audience and my words came out as rehearsed, not jumbled!!! Wish I had this in college- would've saved me lots of Agony. I hope my testimonial can offer hope who harbor this same fear- it's miraculous!!!!!”

Nuala M November 6, 2013

“This drug changed everything for me. I am a singer.. A bloody good one at that and the one thing that always stopped me was stage fright. I was terrified. Didn't seem to matter how often I made myself sing solo and how many times I felt so amazing after that solo, next time would be just as bad or worse. I would literally vibrate, even the muscles in my face would quiver and I had no control. For years I struggled with this until someone finally convinced me to go to the doctors.. I felt ridiculous even saying this to him thinking he was basically going to tell me to get over it. Instead he calmly said 'ok I'm going to prescribe you a small dosage of propranolol' .. And that was it. The crippling stage fright was just gone.. Like magic :)”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 3, 2013

“Propranolol is a miracle. It helps with public speaking with no side effects and no addiction. I still feel nervous when I am presenting, but it does not show at all on the outside. People think I am a natural. I have had experiences all the way back in elementary school and high school when I would shake and breath fast, almost having a panic attack when getting up in front of the class. Now, because of this medicine, I am not held back and can be who I want to be in my profession. Plus, this medicine is cheap.”

<3 September 8, 2015

“As a high-schooler who has had bad anxiety since middle school, Propranolol is my saviour. I get a red face, shaky hands and legs, weak voice, extremely dry throat, sweaty, and fast heartbeat when I have to read or present anything in front of one or more people. I even sometimes get those when just talking to people who I don't know. I took a propranolol pill on the first day of school when I knew I would be very anxious and talking to many new people. It was a miracle. I was confidant and had no trouble talking. Since, I have also tried it for presentations and I delivered a speech for the first time without embarrassing myself with visible and extreme nervous symptoms. I could actually talk without swallowing every 2 seconds. I love it.”