User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety (Page 5)

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, Inderal XL InnoPran XL

Propranolol has an average rating of 9.6 out of 10 from a total of 422 ratings for the treatment of Performance Anxiety. 97% of those users who reviewed Propranolol reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 average rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

Anonymous May 1, 2012

“I am 25 year old boy with long history of severe anxiety and panic attack during social activities specially presentation. I used to blush like tomato, speak with stressful voice and my heart pounding like it wants to explode and sometimes I could not finish my presentation because I wasn't able to talk anymore. A dreadful nightmare. Until I knew about this medicine and it changed my life. This lovely little red pill eliminates most of physical symptoms of anxiety like racing heart beat, shaky hands, sweating, stressful voice and I use 40 mg 2 hours before my presentation and it works great. About side effects, sometimes I have a little headache but its not a big deal.”

Johno · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2018

“I take 20 mg an hour before public speaking it works wonders. Previously I have just used Cocaine however Propranonol works out cheaper overall and I don't feel an overwhelming urge to celebrate with alcohol and obnoxious behaviour afterwards - which was the side effect of cocaine”

Allison round tree November 16, 2015

“This medicine has absolutely changed my life for the better. I wasn't sure if I'd ever make it through graduate school but this tiny little pill supported me! Its not stigmatized, addictive, and it actually helps you get to a netter place where you don't need it anymore!!!”

Anonymous April 20, 2012

“Everyday I felt as if an elephant was sitting on my chest and I was gasping for air. I treated this as asthma when I was actually hyperventilating- I felt like my body was out of my control. After a visit to the ER for hyperventilating, I was given this medicine. My life changed. Before, I had panic attacks just thinking about breakfast, but now it seams as though life is so much easier. I can breathe and I feel well, where as before I felt just a constant struggle. In my case, the physical symptoms of anxiety where ruining my life and I felt a constant hyperventilation. With the symptoms gone, I can now really experience things. ”

Gabriel12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2017

“This medicine really works. As I commented below, I have struggled with panic attacks/anxiety, that sometimes sets in when I am about to start presenting/speak in front of many people, for 25 years (I am now 43). The strange thing is that sometimes it does not happen. I can't control under which presentation the body launches the full attack. Today I had another presentation for 35 people. I prepared very well. Took 60 mg propranolol 1 hour before. I had no heart racing, none of my usual shaky voice, no choking, etc. The med blocks it actually. It WORKS. I can present calm as a normal person. I also noticed that I have almost no anxiety in the days before presentations compared to before when I didn't used propranolol as I know I'm going to be fine I'm now not anxious”

Marbeth · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2016

“I'm 43 years old and have had a chronic stage fright that I'd rather DIE than speak in public. I learned last week that I'd be lecturing in front of 50 or so people all Saturdays of March and April 2016. My initial thought was to RESIGN! But I can't for economic reasons, besides I'm doing well here and respected by everyone. Long story short, I googled for quick relief for stage fright as I've suffered for this since I was 11. Trembling voice is my biggest problem. Inderal is a modern day miracle! I poppped in 2 tabs 10mg each an hour before my presentation made sure i've full stomach. When my turn came, no raising heart! AND NO MORE TREMBLING VOICE!!!! I feel i can conquer all now! This was just yesterday and it felt great!”

Jess111 December 12, 2016

“Propranolol is literally a miracle drug. Took it before a presentation today and I literally felt no nerves at all. I felt as if I was talking to friends and it helped me connect with the audience so well as I was so much more laid back. I do not think I will ever have a problem with presentations or interviews again after using this drug. Highly recxommend. I took 10mg”

Riteontime April 3, 2016

“When I started researching for stage fright medication, I was brought into this website & based on all the wonderful experiences shared here, I knew this was it! Last week I had to attend a conference as a panelist for 2 full days with a lot of discussions on stage. Based on the comments here, I popped a 40mg pill 1 hour before the start of the conference after breakfast. I was very calm on stage, spoke in length & was a hit with the crowd. I popped another 40mg in the afternoon after lunch & that kept me going good for the whole day. It is definitely not for those who are introverts & want it to work like alchohol! It is for those who have done their preparations but fail to deliver coz of their body letting them down at the crucial time!”

Happy canper August 17, 2015

“I've had a paralyzingly fear of public speaking for as long as I can remember. I've humiluated myself endless times trying to do presentations. And I mean to the point of becoming so violently ill from the anxiety that Id run out of the room. Fast forward 6 years and in my first big corporate position im required to do a presentation. I almost died. I anticipated this moment. I dreaded it. I went to a dr desperate for help who prescribed me propranolol. I took 15mg 10mg and another half) 2 hours prior plus .25 mg xanax and I felt amazing. I did the best presentation of my life. No nerves. No jitters. I was cool, calm, collected. I made eye contact and was funny. I used my hands and could have stayed up there all day. I love it!!!!”

Gina3629 March 5, 2013

“I have 20 years of public speaking experience as it's been about 75% of what it is that I do for a living. I loved it and have always been good at it. Over the last two years, I've developed these severe panic attacks before giving a presentation and they were progressively getting worse. The blood would rush to my face, my heart beat would pound in my ears, my voice would shake, I couldn't control my breathing or train of thought. This sudden inability to do what I've always done led to depression. I finally went to see my family physician. She immediately prescribed me propanolol. I take 1 10mg pill 30 minutes before public speaking and I finally feel normal again. None of the feelings I have leading up to the attack appeared.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2019

“Well, what can I say? It’s all true. I’ve read all the posts and I must say that I agree with those who find propranolol effective. IT JUST WORKS! I mean I’m so shocked how all my symptoms disappeared. No shaky hands, no rapid heartbeat, no sweating, no anxiety other than the anxiety from not knowing whether it would work. I literally walked to the mic in front of 100s of people said my speech, which I prepared diligently, realized I had no symptoms (noted above), smiled and delivered it flawlessly. I’m so happy. This is a life changer. The sky is the limit now. Thanks Propranolol.....YOU’RE THE BEST.”

True Believer February 23, 2013

“I have battled with public speaking for 18 years and would get nervous about a speech even if it was months away. It ended the second I took propranolol. I take 20-40mg 1 hour prior to any public speaking event and I am completely calm. No racing heart beat prior to standing up, no shaky voice, no trembling hands, no more anxiety attacks, etc. I can't believe I've spent 18 years trying every technique on the market, herbs, physical training, etc. to finally realize this one medicine would instantly cure me. I was prescribed this by a psychiatrist after I lost all hope and this has no doubt changed my life and career over night. I went from a regular engineer to running a division of 200 people now with zero fear of speaking to them.”

Kynes_m35 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 4, 2019

“This medication does not solve my underlying social and performance anxiety, but it basically makes my professional life manageable. Without it, I can get fight/flight responses which completely destroys my confidence and ability to even present myself in front of a group of people without having what feels like a panic attack. Heart racing to the point that it feels like I can't get a word out. In some sense I'm disappointed that I need this to feel okay about my life, but mostly I'm just very grateful that it's there . I would recommend this to anyone who suffers with these issues. Enables you to focus on your job without having to battle your own body.”

Anonymous October 20, 2011

“I began having severe panic attacks when I was about 15 or 16 years old. There were a few times that I actually passed out from anxiety, and thought perhaps I had another condition, such as low blood pressure or sugar. Eventually, I realized I had anxiety but I thought the only option was an antidepressant or an anxiety medicine that I'd have to take everyday. I also didn't like the thought of having to take Valium or Xanax. A few months ago, at age 22, my newest doctor talked to me for 5 minutes, realized my issue and immediately put me on propranolol. This medicine is a miracle and I can swear by it enough. I use it when I need it and it 100% works. I had a job interview today that I nailed. I love Propranolol.”

Blusher · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2013

“This medication really helped by anxiety. I took 20 mg one hour before going to work and when my boss asked me how was I, I didn't blush as usual and didn't feel so uncomfortable. Even though I thought the symptoms will come but was surprised that I didn't blush.”

David7678895 August 10, 2015

“I took propranolol initially as a migraine preventative 20+ years ago, at a time I had a job which required me to deliver presentations. I wasn't manic when I had to do these, but there were butterflies. I was amazed that the propranolol completely stopped these reactions, which of course it does by blocking adrenaline. I've used the drug a time or two when going through difficult times. It completely stops anxiety, with ZERO side effects in my case. No drowsiness, sedation, etc., as with benzos. Been nearly 25 years, and I remain astounded that this class of drug, beta blockers, is not used much more frequently for ultra-safe, low side effect anxiety relief.”

Chico336 · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2017

“Have had performance anxiety all my life. Have been trying numerous things like books, courses, speaking circles etc. Normally I would practise my presentation over and over until I knew it by heart. Conclusion is that nothing really worked and practising did not make it better. I now use propranolol 20 mg and my experience is that it brings me back to the person that I really am. Actually I'm a very good presenter, only the anxiety negatively influences this. Best medicine ever, career saver! Would highly recommend it.”

Anonymous October 18, 2009

“I was getting shaky hands, shaky voice, etc before and during presentations/high stress events. Even when I had solid material and was well rehearsed, it was like this physical symptom just kicked in and I couldn't control it. And it happened EVERY TIME. It was getting bad, to the point my boss even said something to me about it. When I discussed these anxiety symptoms with Doctor, she prescribed me 20mg and said to take 1/2 tablet to 1 tablet about an hour before event, as needed. Worked very well for me, this is what I needed. I haven't experienced any anxiety symptoms so I can focus on my material.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2015

“Been suffering panic and anxiety attacks for about 2 years. Before this time I would consider myself as fairly confident and self assured. Cocky even. About a year ago I realised that my symptoms were due to anxiety. Then of course I was expecting the attacks to come. Fear of the fear that some of you would have definitely read about. In social situations or even on meeting a Colleague at work I would feel an anxiety tingle in my fingers or my leg would shake. This would then start my mind racing and heart pumping which would of course then lead to a panic/anxiety attack. At times I would literally run away to the bathroom or say I have to make a phone call. Benzos didn't help me much. Propranolol 80mg SR has changed my life.”

StrongPresenter · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 13, 2013

“I was horrendous at talking publically and had run away from giving presentations so much so that I had changed jobs and never given a presentation in my life. I took a new job I knew I would love but involved presentations so went to my Doc. He prescribed Propanolol quick release and what can I say? Amazing... Now timing and amounts are trial and error. I am a big guy - 6'2, 220 lbs so for me I stagger mine and take 80mg 1hr 45 before, 80 mg 1hr 30 before and 80mg 1hr 15 before and for that hour I am amazing. So 240 mg in total. I would not recommend starting out on this dose. For women try 20mg and men 40mg and move up if required. Side effects for me - hard to sleep if I have taken after 2pm, extra sweating and no cardio within 4 hours”

Somebody5221 May 8, 2014

“Having had panic attacks for decades when doing presentations, interviews, standing in line at the grocery shop, taking care of bank errands, sitting in meetings, talking on the phone...and on it goes...propranolol has really helped a lot. I still get the dooming feelings before the attacks and I'm still sweating, but I'm not going completely blank or shake until I fall out of my chair. Actually, when it's my turn, I'm pretty cool besides the sweating but that's not a big issue for me.”

Anonymous September 16, 2011

“There's no question, this is the medicine that stops performance anxiety. I was paralyzed with fear whenever I was asked to be in a wedding, play piano in church, speak in front of a group, you name it. Propranolol 20 mg is a miracle! A musician who played in a symphony told me almost all the musicians used it, so I gave it a try. I take it 1 hour before I need it, and it lasts 4-6 hrs. This is truly the gracious miracle that rescues all of us who struggle with irrational panic and exaggerated fears, beyond the normal "butterflies in the stomach." The symptoms of speedy heart, sweaty palms, choked up voice and red face simply do not manifest!”

MckinseyGuy · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 14, 2012

“To say this is an excellent medicine would be an understatement. This is a miracle. Unfortunately it took me 13 years to realize my problem and I sadly look back to all those glorious moments that I missed. Being a consultant, we live on making presentations to our clients. This medicine has saved my career. Just one 20 mg pill about an hour before the big presentation and I can absolutely rock the presentation. I always had the skills and knowledge but never had a clear solid voice. It always seemed shaky and I always seemed nervous. Not any longer. A big thank you to who ever discovered this.”

shy_student · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 4, 2017

“About a year ago I read the reviews for this drug and literally jumped for joy I was so excited to hear others experiences. Since an embarrassing speech in High School I have had a horrible fear of public speaking effecting my college and work life. I told my doctor I wanted to try this and she prescribed my 15 mg. For the first time in my college career I could make it through a speech without panicking. ANY type of public speaking, including introducing myself, used to freak me out so bad. Propranolol has saved my life!!”

BB · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2019

“I’ve been struggling with terrible stage fright in 20 years after I panicked during a talk as a teen. I’ve tried everything (toastmaster course, therapy and everything else out there) with no effect. Expected to hold a 5 min toast in a wedding kept me awake for weeks so after reading this reviews I decided to talk to my doc who prescribed me Propanol. What can I say? I took 20 mg one hour before it was my turn. Mentally I was still a wreck and didn’t manage to eat anything at the wedding but when it was my turn something magical happened. For the first time in my life I could walk up to the stage without tunnel vision and racing heart. Both hands and voice was so steady. I nailed it and received a lot of praise for it. I’m officially cured, and more than happy to do it again. Finally!! So, if you’re struggling with this, there is hope. When it worked for me, everyone can make it”