User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 348 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat High Blood Pressure

"Went thru thyroid storm and now 11years later I'm still on 160 mgs of propranolol per day. I have no side effects and I do like this medicine. Hopefully I'll never get a tolerance to it. I do take 40mg tablet 4xs a day. I like it better than extended release."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started on 10mg daily for anxiety after I didn't want to take Lexapro and Valium anymore. It completely stopped my nervous palpitations. However, my bp on a check up was 170/90. My propranolol /inderal dose was upped to 20mg twice a day. Had several side effects. It did lower my bp and heart rate but took 10 days to start. Had some systolic dips to 47! My side effects were so bothersome I went back to Dr. 3 weeks later. Side effects were icy cold hands, very bad dizziness when my head was down or turned, a weird (like restless leg syndrome ) shaky feeling in my spine. Down my arms, legs and in my head. I would wake up wide awake at 3am. Anyway my bp in the office was 160/82! Now I'm trying lisinopril and only 10mg propranolol."

Drugsdotcompropanolol March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with hypothyroidsm and extremely low levels of vitamin b12 which were wreaking all kinds of havoc in my body, so my doctor prescribed me Propranolol for high blood pressure and rapid pulse/palpitations, and it did really work for both problems, helped a little with my anxiety too, but I quit it after ten weeks because I was so drowsy all day long, I also started breaking out pretty bad in the face, scalp and hairline, not sure if it's related to Propral, but at least the fatigue and general "depressive mood" subsided instantly when I stopped taking it."

hypoKaitlin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I hate this stuff I've been taking it for 3 weeks I feel sick all the time always sleeping and my bp is sky high I'm getting off it"

Tgirl666 (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works extremely well!!!! Love this med Works extremely well! Love this medication. When my heart is painful propranolol is what fixes it."

Mae L (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It dropped my blood pressure but also stopped my tast buds from working correctly. If I take it I can't taste anything. If, after I stop taking it (after 3 weeks) my heart races. I guess I have to wean myself off of this menace."

mcadwell November 22, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take Propranolol 120mg along with Losartan and Hydrochlorothiazide 100mg/25mg once a day for severe high blood pressure and the results are awesome. My blood pressure is consistently averaging around 110/70 now, my heart rate is always around 70. I feel great and have zero side effects..."

MM44 August 23, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I would like to first and foremost state that I have never had performance anxiety, I was prescribed this for high blood pressure and heart palpitations. Every time I took one 10mg I lost an entire day, mild hallucinations, irritability, short term memory loss, and extreme mental and physical fatigue set in. I really can't stand this stuff, although I still take it from time to time to help my heart, I truly feel that it has had more negative repercussions than positive effects. I've found that increasing my exercise regime, low dosage marijuana edibles, meditation, healthy diet, and a quarterly psilocybin dosage has done leaps and bounds more for my overall health than this drug ever could. I truly believe that I was misdiagnosed."

Not a fan (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2015

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took propranolol ER 80 mg before bedtime for the first time and woke up significantly calm and rested and my blood pressure went down to 129/79 versus 140/89 with a 30 day average. We'll see how it goes the next 30 days. At least I do not feel the need for a Valium this morning."

A rabbit January 4, 2014

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My blood pressure was lowered immediately after beginning this medicine, also helps with nervous shakes (visible in the hands and feet). It's a great prescription! I've combined this with sodium reduction and relaxation exercises and I have seen My BP drop to the level it was when I was an 18 year old vegetarian and just 80 lbs. Recommend taking this prescription if you are prescribed it. I was lightheaded and dizzy when I took first dose, but not a single issue since that."

Amanda Glamdoll January 1, 2014

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was to help me with my headaches. It did at first then I started with headaches everyday again and made my legs ache. So I stopped taking it. Also made me dizzy."

Anonymous November 10, 2011

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal (propranolol): "I work nights so I took my 2nd dose of the day at 1am. By the time I saw the doctor at 8am, my blood pressure was 160/110. It doesn't work for me. I get no benefit, and most of the side effects."

tiniondaye1974 January 25, 2011

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal (propranolol): "I'm a 55 year old male and have been on Inderal since I was in my late 20's. This medicine was perfect for me with little side effects. Some light-headedness at times, nausea was probably the worst side-effect. Inderal has become expensive over the years and sometimes hard to find. After insurance company changes forced me to try other blood pressure drugs, I ended up back on Inderal. Now it seems it is not as effective as it was before. No one (Doctor, Cardiologist, etc.) seems to know why. Increase in palpitations, blood pressure rising, side effects have become worse, etc. Doctor put me on Bystolic. We'll see how it goes. LESSON: If a medicine works for you and you've been on it a long time, STAY ON IT. Don't let the insurance companies play with your health!"

gzlnq9 August 27, 2010

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal (propranolol): "Lowered blood pressure but, caused severe hair loss (I saw clumps of hair in drain after every shower) and depression! I have since learned that this 'side effect' is known as 'beta-blocker blues'. However, my M.D. switched me to Tenormin (another beta-blocker) which did NOT have these side effects."

benkecker August 23, 2010

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal (propranolol): "I have taken Inderal and Inderal LA for the past 30 years with very few side effects. It helps both my arrhythmia and my high blood pressure. I felt slightly weaker and more tired in the beginning, but now I just feel normal. I have been able to live a relatively normal life and have always been able to do whatever physical activity I needed to do."

coffeecat July 17, 2009

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Gave me aching pain in my right side after about 3 hours and lasted till morning. Disappered until I took it again and then came back."

Anonymous June 15, 2009

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal (propranolol): "Inderal works well with hardly any side effects. One good side effect is that it stops severe headaches if you happen to have those with your high blood pressure."

Anonymous April 2, 2009

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal LA (propranolol): "i have anxiety induced high blood pressure. At first it didn't do anything for me, however I wasn't taking it at the right time of day. It works wonders when taken at night before bed. Extended release takes 4-5 hours to start working and much longer for peak levels in blood. I now take it at around 10PM and am really calm the next day."

Anonymous February 23, 2009

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal (propranolol): "I could see its very faint effect on me though I tried it 5 - 6 times. Not really useful."

jaggia February 4, 2009

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dropped elevated b/p within 10 days. I had been inactive because of knee surgery and unable to walk every day as before, knee is as good as new and have resumed walking. This med works."

Anonymous April 27, 2008