User Reviews for Propranolol to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal XL, Inderal LA InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Propranolol

Borneldras · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

“Started on a dose of 10 MG Propranolol in March for high blood pressure, with no side effects, then starting June 8th, I started getting these side effects of strange heart palpitations, it felt as if my heart was going to jump out of my chest, it occurs occasionally. Other side effects I've been having is chest pain, slight memory loss, sure it helps to lower your blood pressure, no anxiety anymore, but the side effects are NOT worth it. It also gets rid of your sex drive also, no sexual desire at all. Plus my hands and feet are almost always cold, and extreme irritation. I will never take these drugs again if its just going to mess with my hearts electrical system....”

Tess · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

“I was only on 40 mg of propranolol for 2 days for high blood pressure , first night slept well. Second night couldn’t breathe all night . Insomnia was worse . Don’t know is it because. I’m nearly 70 years old and I shouldn’t be On a beta blocker and it’s making my pulstate tinnitus louder”

medman · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2020

“Propranolol 10mg three times a day does good in lowering your blood pressure, slowing your heart rate and helping to decrease anxiety. Might give you dry mouth or dizziness though.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2020

“My blood pressure was very high 150s/100s. Started taking propranolol and it immediately brought it down. I've been on it for about a month and my BP is now 90s/60s. I'm on the lowest dose so I might need to go off of it if my BP pressure goes too low. It also helps immensely with anxiety! Side effects are poor circulation (makes raynauds worse), fatigue, and nausea when you first start taking it. The nausea does go away after about a week. Overall, it's a good medication and works well!”

Justme · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“I've been taking propranolol 60 mg ER prescribed for high blood pressure (HBP) for a week now and the only thing about it is, I get a little dizzy and very tired. I never in the past had high blood pressure before, it was always low but I've been extremely stressed. I took my first dose at 11:00 in the morning because my blood pressure was so high. I'm trying to get it to where I take it at night so I won't be so tired during the day. That's when you're supposed to take the Extended release. I'm hoping my energy will come back, because I don't have any right now but at least I'm not wound up clenching my fist anymore. I'm much calmer.”

Jae · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

“Hi, I've been taking Propranolol for a few weeks and I have to say that it did get rid of the headaches that came along with my high blood pressure. Also, my BP did go down. I was pre-hypertension at 130/110. After a week I started to notice that I am constantly nauseous and tired. I have been wiped of all energy and beginning to have insomnia worse than usual. When I do fall asleep, I have these odd dreams that cause me to wake up after only a few hours of sleep. Once I wake from the nightmares, I am sweating profusely and it is uncomfortable. I also noticed that my heart rate slowed a bit to 65bpm resting, not sure if that's bad or not. Overall, I am not happy with Propranolol 60mg and will not be taking it anymore!”

Prettichic · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

“I am prescribed to take a 10 mg tablet 3 times a day along with another bp medication as well. I have been on this medication for 2 days thus far to help with my high blood pressure and fast heartbeat. I do feel a bit calmer, my blood pressure is doing a bit better than before I started it, and my pulse rate is slowly coming down. My biggest issues with this medication are basically the same with every blood pressure (BP) med I've ever taken before: fatigue, dizziness, makes me get hot, it messes with my appetite, and it makes me really nauseated after taking it. I have absolutely no idea why, BP meds come with such a large amount of side effects, and it's like when are they ever going to go away. I am going to continue to stay on it for now, but the side effects are a real downer for sure. It's a shame how a lot of these medications are just poisoning us anyways.”

Skylar7 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 11, 2019

“I’ve been on propranolol for high BP for almost a year, does it work yes. However it comes with a hefty price tag and that being your overall well being. I slipped into a depression from it when I tried coming off it my heart rate rocketed to 95 beats a minute from 65 sitting still. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. Scared to death I went back up to my normal dose. I don’t have any feeling inside towards people my wife or anything. I’m completely dead inside thanks to this but hey guess I’m alive so that’s a bonus. No interest in sex or anything that used to make me happy. I have no pre existing conditions that would of caused depression and was a happy person before taking it. Upside is that having no emotion you really don’t care about anything so no stress or anxiety. My suggestion is that when you talk to your doctor ask them if they would give this to their kids. That should help you make a decision as to whether or not it’s worth the price. Good luck people and heed my advice.”

Bmw June 21, 2019

“Took this for the first time today- 10mg daily is my dosage(once in am and once pm). I took 10mg this morning at 8:00 am on my way to work. This is used to treat both my anxiety and high blood pressure apparently.... after about an hour I started feeling very dizzy, then the nausea came.... my eyes were heavy and I was exhausted it was all I could do to stay awake at my desk. Flash forward to 12:00 pm I’m leaving work, want to go home and nap but can’t sleep and have a headache... truly just waiting for this to wear off and never take it again... the half life is 10 hours so only ... 2.5 more to go I guess.”

Paige June 4, 2019

“Propranolol helps with hypertension & anxiety. My head is clear .Every day I used to take xanax but I'm totally off benzos. This is a nice clean pill. My blood pressure Is almost always perfect now. Only negative thing about it, is occasionally my left lung hurts but.. I smoke and my pharmacist said it could interact negatively with my inhaler. I've also gained a lot of weight since taking this medication. But, overall it's a good one. A neurologist started me on 40 mg 2x a day last year. I'm currently on 80 mg 2 x a day now”

Anon · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2019

“I was on propranolol for two years for high blood pressure and it never was effective. It sure as hell did help with anxiety, which I didn't really realize until after I got off of it. If it works for you to lower blood pressure, great, otherwise switch fast. I switched to Chlorthalidone and one week later I have been around 120/80.”

Annie · Taken for 10 years or more April 16, 2019

“I have been taking propranolol for arrhythmia for years with no problems and actually was on a very low dose. After trying several drugs for high blood pressure (HBP) resulting in horrible side effects, we increased the propranolol a little. It is doing a wonderful job at controlling the (HBP). I am a bit more tired, but it's not knocking me out, and I'm quite satisfied with this medication and how it's working.”

Cramberg 1 · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2019

“Just got off of lisinopril and HTC to start taking propranolol for rapid heart rate, but now blood pressure is going up so concerned about that. I've been on it barely a week was expecting it to do better with blood pressure so am going to doctor tomorrow to see what’s going on. I’m at 40 mg dose right now.”

Always expect death · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2019

“...”

GM577 · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2019

“I was really excited about starting this medication. The benefits described by my doctor such as helping both my blood pressure and anxiety were very appealing. Well, I took just one dose (20mg) and had trouble breathing doing something as simple as walking out to get the mail. It should be noted I am a healthy, 30-year old male, and never experienced anything like this before. I also had severe insomnia the night I took it, despite taking a Xanax to try and get myself to sleep (which always works very well when I can’t sleep).”

piller November 7, 2018

“Just received this med 60mg and reading the above statements is really scaring the hell out of me . I suffer from anxiety which is now spiking up my blood pressure I've already had a bad experience with one drug prescribed by a doctor and now I'm scared to take anything other than low smallest dosage of Xanax 0.05 and I only take a quarter of that. The doctor gave me this today and I'm just scared to take it. I don't know - these medications are scary I mean they scare me to death. I'm sitting here looking at this med and saying to myself I don't want to take this and I probably won't”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 27, 2017

“Went thru thyroid storm and now 11years later I'm still on 160 mgs of propranolol per day. I have no side effects and I do like this medicine. Hopefully I'll never get a tolerance to it. I do take 40mg tablet 4xs a day. I like it better than extended release.”

Drugsdotcompropanolol March 3, 2017

“Started on 10mg daily for anxiety after I didn't want to take Lexapro and Valium anymore. It completely stopped my nervous palpitations. However, my bp on a check up was 170/90. My propranolol /inderal dose was upped to 20mg twice a day. Had several side effects. It did lower my bp and heart rate but took 10 days to start. Had some systolic dips to 47! My side effects were so bothersome I went back to Dr. 3 weeks later. Side effects were icy cold hands, very bad dizziness when my head was down or turned, a weird (like restless leg syndrome ) shaky feeling in my spine. Down my arms, legs and in my head. I would wake up wide awake at 3am. Anyway my bp in the office was 160/82! Now I'm trying lisinopril and only 10mg propranolol.”

hypoKaitlin · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2017

“I was diagnosed with hypothyroidsm and extremely low levels of vitamin b12 which were wreaking all kinds of havoc in my body, so my doctor prescribed me Propranolol for high blood pressure and rapid pulse/palpitations, and it did really work for both problems, helped a little with my anxiety too, but I quit it after ten weeks because I was so drowsy all day long, I also started breaking out pretty bad in the face, scalp and hairline, not sure if it's related to Propral, but at least the fatigue and general "depressive mood" subsided instantly when I stopped taking it.”

Tgirl666 · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2016

“I hate this stuff I've been taking it for 3 weeks I feel sick all the time always sleeping and my bp is sky high I'm getting off it”

Mae L · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2016

“Works extremely well!!!! Love this med Works extremely well! Love this medication. When my heart is painful propranolol is what fixes it.”

mcadwell November 22, 2016

“It dropped my blood pressure but also stopped my tast buds from working correctly. If I take it I can't taste anything. If, after I stop taking it (after 3 weeks) my heart races. I guess I have to wean myself off of this menace.”

MM44 August 23, 2016

“I take Propranolol 120mg along with Losartan and Hydrochlorothiazide 100mg/25mg once a day for severe high blood pressure and the results are awesome. My blood pressure is consistently averaging around 110/70 now, my heart rate is always around 70. I feel great and have zero side effects...”

Not a fan · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 29, 2015

“I would like to first and foremost state that I have never had performance anxiety, I was prescribed this for high blood pressure and heart palpitations. Every time I took one 10mg I lost an entire day, mild hallucinations, irritability, short term memory loss, and extreme mental and physical fatigue set in. I really can't stand this stuff, although I still take it from time to time to help my heart, I truly feel that it has had more negative repercussions than positive effects. I've found that increasing my exercise regime, low dosage marijuana edibles, meditation, healthy diet, and a quarterly psilocybin dosage has done leaps and bounds more for my overall health than this drug ever could. I truly believe that I was misdiagnosed.”

A rabbit January 4, 2014

“Took propranolol ER 80 mg before bedtime for the first time and woke up significantly calm and rested and my blood pressure went down to 129/79 versus 140/89 with a 30 day average. We'll see how it goes the next 30 days. At least I do not feel the need for a Valium this morning.”