User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Benign Essential Tremor.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Benign Essential Tremor

"I have only been taking 40mg of propranolol twice a day for 5 days and I find that the tremor is much improved, however, I have such bad pain in my legs. It started 2 days after I started taking it. My thighs were aching all weekend and I have been woken from the pain in my lower back and hips since then. Not good. Hoping it will get better"

Wallingc (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 3 months of hell with my doctor thinking I needed SSRIs to stop anxiety tremors ... Neurologist diagnosed Benign Essential Tremor (BET). If one has BET, SSRIs only make tremors much worse! It is telling your brain to do two different things with serotonin. I began 40mgs/twice a day of Propranolol and the tremors stopped. I have taken the same dosage for 3 years now and will never give it up. I do have breakthrough tremors of hands at times, in which I take .25mg of Xanax when needed. I also take two BP meds (never at same time as propranolol. I watch for the dizziness and BP dropping. My BP is always low now."

TripTwo June 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine stops my tremors completely. I highly recommend it. I'm so happy this works so well."

Madame Shakes-a-lot May 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Propranolol-I have been taking for 2 years, works pretty well ,but when nervous tremors kick in enough to aggravate me. Side effects are so bad I do not know how much longer I can keep taking. Doctor sent me another medicine to try , side effects scary -nightmares -suicide so on an so on. I am afraid to try. Propranolol side effects I have-hard to wash feet -put socks on -tie shoes -weight gain- poor concentration -memory problems-clusters of tiny itchy blisters-major leg cramps -there are days I can barely walk. I started on 40 mg twice a day -stomach problems, major Charlie horses in thighs. So I dropped down to 10 mg three times a day for a year -still to much . Now on 10 mg twice a day can barley walk . Going on 61 years old."

Anonymous May 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having essential tremors for 30 years I was used to having them, Then they changed I was also getting the head and voice tremor along with my hands so I decided to get treatment for them. Doctor and Neurologist answer was Propranolol. Basically I spent 3 months in HELL. I had almost every side effect, cold hand and feet I was tired all the time I had no energy I was dizzy and lightheaded. my blood pressure got too low and I didn't want any "alone" time with my boyfriend. And that was all from 5mg at night. It did help my head and voice tremors but not my hand ones at all. Doctor took me off of it and still weeks later I'm left with the side effects ...."

MartineL (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol): "March 22, 2017 - I took Inderal Oct - Dec 2016 for hand tremors (never helped). I was prescribed 40mg but 1 month later complained of side effects & was prescribed 10mg. While I was on it, I experienced major fatigue (esp. w/ the higher dosage), I was constantly freezing, I just was not myself. Idk when the short term memory loss started, but it is HORRIBLE, & while taking Inderal on the lower dosage, I experienced an episode of what I think was acute psychosis. I read that acute psychosis & short term memory loss could be temporary or for ever. I'm very scared. I want my memory back, & I'm afraid for my life & others' lives."

Mandy Vicknair (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On Zonegran now, looking forward to trying Propranolol."

Rick Eldritch March 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on 20mg generic propranolol for 15 years. When I went to fill my prescription for 2015, I was told my generic propranolol was discontinued. I had to buy a new generic p, at 10 times the price. The new generic was not working to lower blood pressure. My doctor said I needed to take 60mg. When I got my dose up to 40mg, I then noticed my blood pressure was starting to come down some. At 40mg I developed whole body shaking that continued in all waking hours. Every time I either reduce my dose to 15mg or stop taking it, the whole body tremor stops. My last doctor says it is not the propranolol, that it is my thyroid meds. I have been on same thyroid meds since 2012 and never got this shaking prior to this new generic propranolol."

Rocky from WI March 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For a year I had been taking one (40mg) once a day and it definitely helped my tremors. However it did cause a lack of energy, a weight gain, as well as too large a drop in blood pressure levels, causing dizziness. Now I only take one if I'm having a bad day of tremors. It helps but takes a long time to kick in."

ZZAK November 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol): "At first it was wonderful. The tremors stopped within 24 hours. The dose was 60 mg in a capsule. After 2 weeks nasty side effects started happening. First was vomitting and diarrhea. Then anxiety, nervousness, trouble sleeping, difficulty talking, and poor memory and concentration. 2 days ago my doctor reduced the dose to 40 mg/day. I still feel miserable but will try the lower dose for another few days. Can you give me any advice? Would there be a problem with just stopping the medication? I also take prozac daily."

beckymd October 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found that it did control my BP to an acceptable level but it did nothing for my anxiety or tremors. The tremors did stop after a round of amoxicillin antibiotics but have since returned with yet another infection."

Fisherman' wife (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Over the past 27 years I have has two major meningiomas removed, front bone flap removed, titanium cranioplasty and removed, in all 5 craniotomies. The last on 2005 since well before that time I have had essential tremors as the first tumor was between the frontal lobes of the brain causing moderate gliosis. I have been taking deralin (propranolol) 20mg x 2 daily with reasonable control of my hands. Recently my Dr reduced my dosage to 10mg x 2 daily and tremors on some days are now very bad. I am not quite sure why, but I did have a period diabetic problems (type2) ranging from Hi to Lo readings which was thought to have been cause by an infection (I am 81) Hopefully he will raise the dose soon."

Sploddy May 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I started off taking this medication 3 weeks. And I thought it would be great. I have Essental tremors, hypertension, and my cardiologist was waiting for a few test results before confirming tachycardyia. while blood pressure and heart rate are signifigantly improved. Went from 133 bpm to 84 and 155/95 to 134/75 the tremors haven't stopped. Not to mention the side effects for me. Increased depression, insomina, dizziness, and nightmares."

Jaw Tremor (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Propanolol for 10 years for Extreme Tremors in my hands. I had DBS surgery in 2007 for my right hand, it was a miracle for me. The Propanolol helped me a lot. In 2014 I had DBS again for my left hand, and have done great! My Neurologist started lowering the Prop. My b/p began to elevate so my PCP upped my b/p med from 20 mg to 40 mg and I have been fine. Now the Neuro. Wants me to stop the prop. Completely and have PCP take my Lisinoprel higher. Went to PCP today and he said He'd prefer I stay on the Propan. I was off it for 5days and just felt jittery and my left hand was shaking again. So I took the Propan. This afternoon and feel much better this evening? Is this okay? I've had NO side effects ever!"

Tilsie March 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with essential tremors after I fell flat face on the sidewalk followed by several tests. 6 months later the Dr. put me on 60mg Inderal per day, the long lasting effect ones. The results were so instantaneous it felt like a miracle. The migraines were gone and my balance was ok after only a week of taking the medication. I still have trouble with anxiety attacks. Now after years on this medication, and after moving cities; my new DR. is decreasing my medication to 40 mg a day to Teva-Propranolol as she is concerned with my low blood pressure. Other than the adaptatiion for my body to this new drug, my reaction to unpredicted events seems to have improve and the anxiety attacks diminished. Sure would be awesome"

Paprica (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have taken the medicine for an essential tremor, in conjunction with primodine, and have found my condition to be stable."

fstoddert January 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using Propranolol for a few years for essential tremor (right hand) taking 20mg twice a day, however, shortness of breath and fatigue is now an issue and I am wondering now if the shakes are worth dealing with vs. shortness of breath and fatigue. I have read that taking the pills during different times of the day make some changes which is something I may try. I do quite a bit of presentation work and I find it does help with anxiety and stress of getting in front of people but I am now questioning the side affects as well as weight gain. I walk three miles a day and believe me it is hard breathing but I am on the fence about which is the more questionable condition, shaking or difficulty breathing with fatigue. What to do?"

Kinda Shakey (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started off on 10 mg twice daily, almost 2 years ago, went to neuro for dizziness and migraines and tremors worse. I slowly upped the dosage to 80 mg and the tremors were even worse. Dropped back down to old dosage tremors still bad. Dizziness and migraines still bad, tried 4 diff meds for migraines allergic to all 4. Now along with all that I have started stumbling, toe will catch on floor. I always try to walk near something to catch myself or hold onto so I don't fall. I am only 43 but feel 80."

jebekarue (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol): "I started experiencing severe tremors as a side effect of other meds. At first I could not brush my teeth, then I had problems typing, next I could not feed myself or even hold a cup of coffee, finally I had bouts of tremors so bad that I could not even walk. I finally ended up seeing a neurologist who once he saw the problem and the severity he immediately prescribed Inderal. Within a week virtually all of my tremors had stopped and I was immensely relieved. I experienced no side effects at all. I have been on them for 7 years now and I only slightly shake if get really tired or drink too much coffee. All in all - I would highly recommend this medication for anyone with severe tremors."

Amgdala (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a miracle for my essential tremor. It effectively mitigates the tremors in all parts of the body. It used to be debilitating to face stressful situations at work or socially, as my 'shakes' would rear their ugly head in my voice and in any movement. Afterwards, the nervousness is still there, but the tremor is gone. 40mg 2x daily."

rosstex (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 14, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol): "I have benign tremors and hypertension. I was taking one Inderol LA 60mg daily for the hypertension. I went to an neurologist about the tremors and he asked my cardiologist to change me to one in the morning and two at night. That was about 5 years ago. It has been a great help for the tremors and my BP is awesome! [e.g., 120/75] Now after so long I have developed a tolerance. My docs think more per day will make my blood pressure too low. If I am really diligent about taking it the tremors are minimal."

Inderol LA user - long time1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking Inderal LA for years for Essential Tremor. Originally started on immedate release tablets (40mg, Twice Daily) and switched to long acting (120mg, Once Daily). Stops tremor of hands, voice, neck. Without taking medication, tremor can be felt through abdomen and into legs."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol): "My tremors were getting worse and worse so I went to my Doctor. She thought I had Parkinson's and referred me to a neurologist. The appointment came through about 4 months later. The Neurologist diagnosed Essential Tremor and prescribed Half Inderal 80g once a day. After taking the meds I felt so much better, I still get the shakes but nowhere near so bad. My muscles are stiff though and it's causing me problems walking far and my neck and shoulders hurt too. I'll have to ask whether Inderal is the cause at my next appointment. All in all it's been great, I especially notice the difference when cooking or eating a meal or drinking from a glass, I don't spill as much now and it's less embarrassing when in a restaurant."

Britanichris (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol): "I was prescribed Inderal to help with Primary Ortostatic Tremors. I did not get any relief with this medication for that condition. However. I discovered that whenever I stop taking Inderal, I end up with a migraine headache. I take 20 mg at bedtime. It makes me sleepy and gives me nightmares which continue to this day. However, the side effects are tolerable and well worth putting up with to prevent getting migraines. I highly recommend this medication for preventing migraines."

BobbieH (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Inderal (propranolol): "I have had good luck with this medicine but as I age it appears to be less effective, or it may be that my tremors are getting worse and the dosage needs to be increased. I have tried an increase in the medication and have become very sluggish. All in all it is working rather well and the cost is low."

Mycocotoo February 26, 2013