This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
What are extrapyramidal symptoms?
Extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS) are side effects of antipsychotic medicines. EPS can cause movement and muscle control problems throughout your body.
What symptoms may I have?
Symptoms may be noticed after you take one dose of medicine or after long-term use. You may not be aware of these symptoms, but others close to you may notice any of the following:
- Restlessness and nervous energy shown by pacing, marching, shuffling, or foot-tapping
- Severe, uncontrolled muscle contractions of your head, neck, trunk, and limbs that cause stiff tongue, twisted neck, or back arching
- Tremors, stiff posture, or no arm movement when you walk
- Uncontrolled movements of your tongue, jaw, lips, or face, such as pursing, chewing, or frequent eye blinking
- Uncontrolled movements of your fingers or toes, head nodding, or pelvic thrusting
- Fast, irregular breathing with grunts, gasping, or sighing
- Weak voice, drooling, or little or no facial expression
What should I do if I or someone close to me notices that I have symptoms?
- Do not stop taking your medicines unless your healthcare provider says it is okay.
- Contact your healthcare provider.
- Take a list of your medicines with you to your appointment.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your healthcare providers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
Learn more about Extrapyramidal Symptoms
IBM Watson Micromedex
Medicine.com Guides (External)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.