User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Migraine Prevention

"I've been on this medication for about two weeks and take it for chronic migraines along with 600mg Gabapentin and 100mg Trokendi. My Propanolol dose is 40mg, 2x daily. 1 tablet w/breakfast and 1 w/lunch. I take it this way to help prevent and lessen the nightmares. They're slowly getting better and really, aren't anything compared to chronic migraines. I saw some people had awful side effects. I suggest Gabapentin. Even at a low dose of 600mg, it seriously helps. It helps with pain during an attack too. So, think about Gabapentin, it might be worth giving a try."

OodlesOPoodles (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Okay, so basically: my psychiatrist prescribed this as a way of managing my situational/social anxiety. He said its ability to lower the sympathetic nervous system response would help. Indeed it did. BUT EVEN BETTER: I have had ocular migraines with auras and the works for the last several years. I thought they were infrequent, but because they mostly affect my neck and eyes I have a hard time telling. I didn't realize this drug could be used for migraine treatment, but I took it for anxiety and suddenly realized that, for the first time in quite a while, my head didn't vaguely hurt. I think I may have been experiencing some semi-chronic moderate ocular migraines without realizing it, and this took the worst of it away! I'm tickled."

Forvanta March 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"anon3984934 I am not sure how to respond to your direct post but depakote made me really really sick. It also gave me night terrors to the point where I was scared to go to bed. It would also make me pass gas but made me unaware it was happening until I could smell something awful. I would stay away from it."

0307 March 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered with severe headache and migraine since being a child. About 6 years ago I was put on propranolol a low dose which didn't help, it was then increased and still I noticed no change. Over the years I have tried all sorts of medication but non that seem to keep the headaches at bay permanently. I was back at the Dr a month ago and was put back on propranolol 40mg 3x daily. Since taking it this time my headaches have been worse, I am now about 16 days in to a permanent headache, sometimes its just a 1 on the pain scale and sometimes a 10 but its always there. Does anyone know of any others I can ask to try, propranolol seems to be the thing they relying on but as it may work for other people it isn't for me :("

Megzymooshka February 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on just 20 mg for a week, I didn't really notice anything. I think I had some mild side effects nothing too serious. Then I had the worst migraine I have ever had in my whole life. I decided to go up to 40 mg and so far I haven't really noticed anything still. I'm going to give it a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. My neurologist said I could try Depakene (valproic acid) but I'm too scared. Can someone please advice?"

anon3984934 February 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi my son was suffering from chronic debilitating migraines with aura, sometimes lasting all night. We tried Amitriptaline which didn't do a thing and Topiramate that had such horrendous side effects, they were worse than the migraines. He had an MRI which fortunately was clear and out last hope was Propranalol. Now I read this is good for vascular migraine, and this is what he has, he hears a pulsing in his ear. He started on 20mg three times a day and the first few days we didn't notice a difference. I upped it to 40mg as the pharmacist said it was a low dose for migraine prevention, but this knocked him out and he seemed quiet and sedated. So we went back to 20 mg, divided doses...low and behold, a week later he is nearly migraine free"

Suzycube (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Propranolol for 2 months now doctors been slowly increasing the milligrams it's not really helping. My migraines are once a day, maybe skipping 3 to 4 days. I need to try something else anybody have any advice so I was thinking Topamax? please help thanks. A weird thing is I had migraines in college they went away years ago when I moved to Upstate New York Finger Lake Region and now they're back. I think the weather triggers them don't really know what to do about that though. Need advice please my neurologist is not really helping me. I might need to find a new one"

Anonymous January 12, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had bad headaches for years, and I have taken Maxalt for many years to alleviate. My headaches became worse and daily. I was taking the Maxalt quite often (breaking the pills in half). I read about the overuse rebound headaches and went back to Dr. When I told him that the Maxalt worked well and very quickly for me, he looked at me and said "you are having vascular headaches". He prescribed the Propranolol and my life changed in about a week. I can actually say, I no longer even know how often I have a headache, it is hardly ever now. I just regret that he did not put me on this 20 years ago. He said his mother used it, so apparently it has been around for quite awhile."

jjyght January 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was suffering from migraines for over a year before I sought treatment. By then I was having one every other day. The day I didn't have one, I was washed out and drained. Within a week of starting propranolol, my migraines were gone. I haven't had a single headache of any type in two months. I also haven't had any side effects. Well, until today. Not really a side effect though. I missed three pills and started getting dizzy, nauseous and headachy. So it's actually a side effect of NOT taking my medicine."

Bijimo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal (propranolol): "Migraines started at age 50. Just about every day at 3PM. They were severe, but only lasted 2 - 3 hours. My eye area, cheek and ear were always sensitive to touch. Inderol was a life saver. 10mg twice a day. Sometimes I would feel slight pain behind my eye, but never needed pain reliever. The nightmares were something else, 3 -4 times a month. I was actually afraid I would give my husband a heart attack when I would wake up screaming and thrashing at night. When I hadn't felt that pain behind my eye for about a year, I gradually went off Inderol (around 60 yrs old)."

Cait 28 November 13, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been suffering from prolonged, frequent, debilitating & painful migraines. Having to endure constant & intense pain affected my quality of life. I was given Proplanolol 40mg by my GP to try. Since then I never looked back. First, my migraines decreased in frequency (at first it felt strange not to be in pain - that's how used to I was to my migraines). Second, when migraine would start, Proplanolol would stop it from developing into an attack. So, for me, it works as a preventer and painkiller (since I started on Proplanolol, I haven't had any overthecounter painkillers). In terms of side effects, occasional diarrhea, which is a small price to pay for a sig reduction in the frequency and intensity of my migraines."

TSADA2016 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had migraines for 7 years. Take Fioricet for pain, which works well, but I wanted to try prevention. My doctor had already tried Gabapentin and Sumatriptan, both of which did nothing for migraines and had side effects. Then Propranolol. The side effects were: Feeling sluggish and tired all the time. I have a regular diet and exercise routine that I follow, and it did not affect my eating habits, but it did make me not want to exercise because of how sluggish I felt. I forced myself to anyway, which is why I didn't gain weight on the drug, but gaining weight would have been easy. At night, my heartbeat felt like it was chugging on a milkshake, which made me anxious. It did nothing for my migraines, so I stopped after a couple months."

Berander (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have to say this medication changed my life! I kept having these chronic migraines with symptoms of a stroke. no feeling in my limbs cant see cant hear throwing up passing out and they were relentless and left me in the er 24/7. I passed out on someone on a bus and woke up unable to speak my name in an ambulence. I began taking this med and the original effect was low blood pressure tired a lot and it made me quit taking it. i noticed my symptoms return shortly after quitting on it. So i tried taking one whole 20mg tablet during an attack and i couldnt believe it my vision returned and the attack ended early. I have taken it 4-5 times daily ever since and it saved my life. haven't had a single attack in years!"

Sharon Appelbaum October 8, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am nearly 60 & have had migraines for nearly 30 yrs. Usually, I might have 1 a month or so- & if I did not catch it in time- the migraines could last 3 days. I usually take Maxalt MLT (10mg) that tastes horrible but takes the edge off. (I am a light weight with meds & have bad reactions + weigh only about 100 lbs). In just the last few months- my migraines have changed from being centered around the tops of my eyebrows/sides of nose or behind my head to being ultra painful, even to the touch, at my temple. No aura/ flashing lights. I've had all sorts of tests/trips to the ER to get a cocktail in the butt of Topordol/ Zofran. Migraines had been occuring almost daily. Started Propranolol- having vivid dreams but no migraine, yet!"

Pony girl 2 (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this drug last night I had a very sore chest bit of trouble breathing an trouble sleeping today iam very tired and no energy I only took 10mg has anyone else had this problem"

Allz September 22, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"As with many ppl here I used to have 3 or more migraines a week. Now after taking propranolol with Amitriptyline Boom magic Migraines have all but stoped"

Kickz September 16, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Propranolol is a life-saver for my chronic migraine problem! My symptoms (painful to think; severe headache on one-side; nausea; vomiting - needed an ice-pak) Too much sleep was a trigger. I have tried many other drugs without success (verapamil, atenolol, triptyline.) I think Atenolol does not work for migraines because it does NOT cross the blood-brain barrier. Propranolol does have the side-effect of powerful vivid dreams (pleasant and unpleasant.) In the long-term, I found that to be somewhat enjoyable. . I highly recommend Propranolol (20mg/day) for anyone suffering from Chronic Migraines !! I suffered 3 migraines per week for 15yrs before a doctor tried prescribing it. It has restored my life to normal."

smarty_pants (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just wanted to say that this med so far has saved my life!! What a blessing. I have tried just about everything for migraine prevention, migraine onset, I have made trip after trip to the ER because I am vomiting so much from my migraines and they are unresponsive to all treatment. I see a neuro for the migraines, an oral surgeon for my TMJ, and my pcp. I have tried and failed topamax, trokendi, amitriptyline, nortriptyline, immitrex, fioracet, and more. It wasn't until my pcp prescribed propanolol that I finally got some relief from everyday headaches and chronic 3x a week migraines at least. Instantly after my first two doses of this medication (he started me at 10mg only) I felt extremely better. Helps my anxiety too! A+++"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have recently been diagnosed with ocular migraines and its been happening since november 2015. I didnt know what was happening to me until june. Since june i have been loosing my vision in my left eye almost every second day. Thé migranne is not always present but the sparks and loss of vision yes. I am at my whits end. Very depressed as différent préventif médications have not worked for me. I have been taking propranolol for 4 days now and i still had an épisode today. I.wondering how long i can expect to wait before i know the médication is working. Is there any hope ????????"

Leilati August 19, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Inderal (propranolol): "I put on 40kg over the course of 12 years of this medication but I don't have migraines. The generic ones don't work at all except Derralin (can no longer get inderral in Australia) I would recommend anyone with life altering migraines to try it for 3 months. It just might be the cure you are waiting for."

woolyhead August 7, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello every body.I am 35 years old male from india.Due to some disturbances in personal life i developed migrane.Migrane started in the morning after awakening if i slept beyond 6 am.I consulted a lot of psychatrists and they all prescribed me different ssris or tricyclics or benzo with lot of side effects..So i tried propranolol.Believe me propranolol is the best anti migrane med that i ever tried.Its a miracle.My life is now migrane free.I take 40 mg immediate release in the morning.In india you can buy any branded medicine because cost of medicines here are extremely low.So need for medical insurance.I take ciplar 40(propranolol 40) which costs me just 40 rs INR for 15 tablets.Less than 2 $per month."

tk2001 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking 80 mg before bed about 8 months ago. It worked ok the first few months, with the exception of some weight gain. I went from having daily severe headaches and migraines to mild daily headaches and migraines about once every week or two. About two month ago, headaches came back full force and my neurologist decided to up the dose to 120 mg. Couldn't sleep at all, terrible nightmares, gained more weight, and had hand numbness. His suggestion was to take it during the day instead of at night. Terrible idea. Excessive drowsiness, nausea, and still nonstop severe headaches and migraines. Hands still going numb and no sleep. Hope to get off of this soon."

CoTexan July 6, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Propranolol 4 months ago for Migraines primarily as well as high blood pressure. I am 5'1" and weigh 106lbs and have not experienced any weight gain. It bothers me that people say they gain weight from a pill. Unless that pill is increasing your appetite it just can't happen. Weight gain is natural science. What you put in opposed to what you expend. You can not be seditary and not gain weight. The migraines are gone as well as the blood pressure. All and all I think it is an excellent drug except for the fact my sex drive is not very good."

LoriB1965 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Migraine sufferer for the last 24 years (since I was 5) I've tried everything ! Migralieve, immigran, max-alts melts - all as an onset treatment. Non worked I was in bits .... 2 children under the age of 6.. I get the aura the paralysis too which is an issue as it's effected my breathing the confusion and inability to speak/eat/drink etc I then tried amytriptaline!! Never again it's an old style anti-depressant and it hit me hard! I was a walking zombie so spaced out and disrespondant Then came propranolol and what a lifesaver I'm on 40mg x3 daily and from.someone who'd suffer daily upto 4 times each day im now down to 1 every 2 months Excellent!! No adverse side effects nothing"

Mrsb2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has helped tremendously. I went from having 15+ headaches a month that were a 8 or 9 to 2-3 headaches a month that are a 3 at most. For me it worked extremely well."

Brie9898 June 26, 2016