User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Migraine Prevention

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, InnoPran XL Inderal XL

Propranolol has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 187 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 65% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Propranolol

echitt December 24, 2019

“I've taken this drug propranolol for close to 2 years for chronic migraines & it's just as good, if not better than Topamax, Gabapentin, Aimovig, and Amitriptyline. I've tried every possible migraine preventative & this medication makes it possible for me to function. Without it, I experience daily headaches & full blown migraines with vomiting, light & sound sensitivity, inability to talk. Very few, if any side effects. Highly recommend it if you don't want something as high risk as Topamax but as effective. It also helps with my anxiety greatly by reducing my heart rate & feels like the racing heart beat isn't nearly as intense during anxiety attacks. HUGE thumbs up. I never let the prescription run out.”

bliss · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2019

“I have been on APO - Propranolol for almost 2 months. I haven't had a migraine for 37 days!!! Thats is incredible. I have barely even had a headache. Just had a very mild headache on the weekend - took some aspirin and it was gone in minutes! It's such a relief. However... I have gained about 10 kilos. I'm exhausted all the time. Can't sleep properly any more ( I used to be a deep sleeper). My heart feels fluttery and I actually feel anxious and a little depressed. I have always been an upper - highly motivated happy person. I'm torn because the medicine is working to keep the migraines away which is fantastic, but i feel fat and in a low sad mood. :( Not sure what to do- whether to stay on them or not?”

Rtrain · Taken for 10 years or more October 25, 2019

Inderal (propranolol): “Inderal is my Miracle medication -No migraine headache's, no tremors, no feeling's of anxiety. It's an "old school" drug that's been around for many years... Even my doctor uses it!!! It's been proven to be relatively safe. Give it a try...”

myheaddoesnothurt · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2019

“Went from getting migraines 3 times weekly (lasting 12hrs), to less than 3 times yearly on the propranolol and I experienced zero side effects that I am aware of. Extremely life-changing as it pretty much alleviated this debilitating condition completely. Would recommend propranolol for Migraines”

Colozt February 16, 2021

“The secret to this medication working with low to no side effects is taking a very low dose ( 5 -10mg) consistently. I take 5mg once and occasionally twice a day for over 10 years now. Migraine reduced by 90% to live a normal life without all the side effects. I got taking high doses 10 years ago when I started with 80mg and was always tired, dizzy, weight gain, fluid accumulation in my feet, nightmares, insomnia, dry eyes, dry mouth, dehydration, hair loss/thinning, e.t.c., wasn't worth it until I read a reviewer mentioned low dose.”

Dawn · Taken for 10 years or more October 10, 2019

Inderal (propranolol): “Started getting severe migraines regularly at about age 27. By 35 it was debilitating and I would not have been able to hold down a job. Several bad migraines each month. Imitrex would help and I could function if I caught it early enough but sometimes would wake up with them. Tried a lot of things and finally at about age 45 started on Inderal. Changed my life and now practically never get them although I do think that menopause might have helped as it did for my mother. Highly recommend this drug and just wish I had started on it earlier. My kids would have had a more fun and reliable Mom.”

HIMluv December 10, 2019

“It's been a month since I started Propranolol for my migraines. Before this I had at least 2 migraines each month. They lasted three days, complete with light/sound sensitivity and nausea. I would frequently have 4+ migraines a month, especially if I was under a lot of stress. A month in, I have not had a single migraine. I've had some pressure in those typical (for me) migraine areas, and even some slight light sensitivity, but no pain. So, my body is TRYING to have migraines and can't. I'll take it. I haven't noticed any major side effects, though I will say, if I miss my morning dose I can tell come afternoon. I feel sweaty and my heart gets sort of fluttery, like I'm having a severe bout of anxiety, which is not fun. I think I'm also benefiting from the anxiety applications of this medication. I am generally less tense in my shoulders and neck and feel more relaxed in my day. So far I am extremely pleased with my experiences with Propanolol.”

Walking stick and Lippy · Taken for 10 years or more August 3, 2017

“I used to get extremely severe migraines which affected my life and also my family's as I needed to go to bed for 1-2 days, vomiting constantly. I started taking propranolol 10 years ago and have not had any migraines since. My quality of life is now 'normal' and I don't worry about ruining my family's life anymore. I have missed so many important days in the past due to migraines. This drug has literally changed my life!”

katekore May 31, 2013

“I have been on propranolol since mid-January 2013. If I remember correctly, it began working within a few weeks. I am on 80mg (can't remember if I worked up to that or not, was in rehab at the time so not everything is crystal clear) and have found that my daily headaches have pretty much completely disappeared. I read that the normal dose is between 80 and 240mg, but I obviously want to be on as little as possible, especially considering possible side effects. But 80mg works for me. Rarely I get one and ibuprofen is enough to relieve it. This medicine was truly life-changing for me. I have had chronic headaches from the age of 9! Point being, if you are considering this medication to help prevent headaches, I highly recommend you try it.”

sugar58 January 22, 2013

“After trying a ton of different medications and having no luck, my doctor finally decided to put me on propranolol. After trying so many meds with no luck, I didn't have much hope. I have been on this medication for 3 days now and I am ECSTATIC! I am taking 40mg twice a day (once in morning and once at night). I used to wake up with headaches and go to bed with headaches and for these 3 days I have not had ANY pain! I usually have headaches at least 4-5 days a week and for me to wake up with no pain and go to bed with no pain feels so amazing. I didn't get any dizziness or any side effects at all so far. Although it's only been 3 days so far, I can tell it's made a huge difference already. ”

nittynat · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2014

“Years and years of pain misery vomiting. Sometimes I thought I was dying. Ruined my life work life social life. Last migraine went to hospital emergency had to be given morphine as was crying for hours in pain.. my doctor then prescribed propranolol. It's been the best time ever in my adult life its just so fab to wake up pain free. Yes I'm dopey tired but rather that than that evil pain... good luck to us all on this.. only us migraine sufferers can experience this relief of a medicine that actually works.”

The Man In The Back · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2013

“I had experienced stress-induced migraines from work for years... truly agonizing... Once I discovered beta-blockers, I studied them for quite a while, and over time I correlated the migraines to a surge of catecholamines resulting from stressors acting on the fight or flight response mechanism, which operates via catecholamine release in the brain. Bottom line, 20 - 40 mg a day has completely eradicated the migraines.”

Anonymous January 13, 2010

Inderal (propranolol): “My neurologist had me try many different medications for migraines including Amitriptyline, Topamax and Cymbalta. I was not comfortable with taking medications that are meant to help individuals with seizure disorders and depression. In addition, these medications did not stop the migraines and I experienced many side effects including nausea and decreased appetite. Then I tried Inderal, a low dose medication used to lower blood pressure, paired with B2. My migraines are now fewer and less severe. I still keep Imitrex with me wherever I go to tackle a migraine but I have found that Inderal was the most successful medication that I have tried. Just be sure to take it as recommended. I hope that it helps other migraine sufferers.”

NorCalFemale · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2014

“My experience, while only 2 days so far, has been life changing. I have had migraines for 16 years. Now at age 32, they seem to have only gotten progressively worse. I have resisted daily medication for many many years, feeling that it would somehow mean that I've given in to my headaches and went against my idea of being a healthy, vibrant person. However, after recently having a migraine for 30 consecutive days I realized that migraines had come to control me more than a daily medication ever could. Vacations, my career, my relationships were being threatened. The day I took prop, my 30 day migraine went away within just hours, and has since stayed away! I feel great! Side effects: drowsy, slightly spacey, serene, peaceful, tired.”

Gsoglenn · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2015

“My doctor prescribed propranolol explaining how he'd like to try to prevent the migraine in the first place, rather than treating it after it arrived. I explained I'd prefer that as well. Propranolol was prescribed, 1 tablet twice daily. After trying the 60 mg. tablets for three months, I reported only having 6 migraines during that time period. He thereby increased the strength to 80 mg. and I currently experience an average of 2 migraines a year! And it's so inexpensive!”

Zoe June 8, 2020

“I am taking Propranolol for Hemiplegic migraine and anxiety, I am on 80 mg/ day and I feel more calm than ever. The migraine attacks happen less often, are less aggressive and I can generally socialise normally. On the other hand I feel depressed, tired, I lack energy to get up in the morning although I was a very active person. I suffer from insomnia and don't feel like going out of the house anymore. I totally recommend it for extreme cases of migraine such as mine, but if I'd have the regular migraine with aura I'd rather have the attacks than the side effects of this.”

Marie · Taken for 10 years or more December 4, 2019

“I have been taking Propranolol for many many years. I was having migraine headaches so bad I could hardly function. After I started taking, my headache's went away. I was so thankful. I did have side affects like losing my hair and being tired, but it was worth it to get rid of my headaches. To this day, I still haven't had any more migraine's.”

ld6266 January 11, 2018

“I'm 51 and had regular headaches since a teen. Took birth control everyday to avoid hormone migraine, but was having headaches every day. Took Maxalt, then read it leads to more headaches. Many drugs over the years, Dr. stuck with tension headache meds. 3 years ago, explained how Maxalt works for me almost immediate, but used every day. He said "you are having vascular headaches" and prescribed propranolol. His mother took it, so it has been around awhile. Changed my life; just wish I started 30 years ago. Don't give up trying this based on the side effects mentioned. I have none; it is worth at least trying.”

Jo Mama · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 1, 2019

“I have been taking 80 mg of Propranolol per day for about 5 years for Migraine Prevention and High Blood Pressure. It's an added bonus for me that it also treats anxiety. I've always had mild anxiety and I blush very easily. I hardly get migraines now and I do feel calmer which is great since I had just begun to worry incessantly about my 3 kids, especially now that they are teenagers. In the beginning it made me tired but about 2 weeks later I got use to it. I believe I also have a bigger appetite and have gained about 10 pounds but to me it is worth it! Hopefully I can just stay on this drug for the rest of my life. My mom has been on beta blockers for more than 20 years and is doing well. I definitely recommend this drug for migraine prevention and anxiety”

Anonymous October 10, 2009

Inderal (propranolol): “After suffering with migraines 30 years, Inderol gave me a pain-free life! It was the best I've ever felt! However, after several wonderful months, I began to get so dehydrated that it caused intense migraines and E.R. visits for re-hydration. Had to stop taking it because of dehydration side effect. Beware of dehydration while taking this drug.”

MigraineJoe · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 3, 2019

“This drug is a lifesaver. I tried all sorts of medications for my migraine headaches before landing on this miraculous drug. Gabapentin, Topamax AKA Dopamax, nortriptyline didn't help much with preventing it or had side effects I wasn't willing to live with. Maxalt and Imitrex didn't help much with the pain either. I've been on propranolol 80mg ER for more than 3 years & I rarely get migraine headaches. Only complaint is the tolerable fatigue and that it doesn't help much with the associated tension headaches I often get, but I'm more than impressed with the results so far.”

Sienna March 7, 2020

“After my pregnancy and returning to work full time, my migraines started anytime of the month. And during that time of the month would include vomiting, vertigo, motion sickness. And just about any time ocular disturbances and flashing lights. I tried birth control pills continuously without a break, Imitrex, Maxalt, Amerge, Excedrin migraine, many recommended vitamins, Preventa Migraine Herbs and nothing worked on a regular basis. Blood pressure spiked up very high about 2 years ago. Decided to try Propranolol and it has worked for anxiety, migraine and blood pressure amazingly! However I have all the side effects - constipation, sometimes depressed, nighttime hallucinations, severe weight gain without change in diet or exercise (25 pounds in less than 2 years), lack of energy, sensitivity to exertion, bloating/water retention, etc.”

javad madani London uk · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2015

“I have had migraine for the past 50 years, have taken tons of pain killers you can imagine how my daily life was ruined by the migraine. I was visiting my GP one day recently complaining about palpitation which I suffered for the past 2-3 months, he suggested propranolol 80 mg twice a day and then the miracle started working! As soon as I started taking propranolol both palpitation and migraine gone away! So far and I am hoping it will last for ever as I read the other comments. I am going to give a present to my GP worth at least 1000 pounds if I am headache free for a month. Finger crossed.”

cmclien · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2013

“Put me on this for chronic daily headaches (some migraine, some not). It has been two weeks and the headaches which I normally get in the morning are fleeting now and go away on their own which they never did before. Start low and go slow advised so I am taking 20mg a day that I divide up. I am very sensitive to medicines, the side effects for me are middle of the night insomnia which I'm hoping to fix by taking less at night. Stomach upset which it helps to take with food and I increased my Prilosec dose. A little lethargic, dry eyes. Pros that I wasn't counting on is it has helped my TMJD, I feel much calmer during the day (have some Social Anxiety) and my overactive bladder is calmer too.”

Misha13 · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2013

Inderal (propranolol): “I started taking Inderal to help with migraines. I still get headaches almost daily but they aren't migraine-quality and can be managed with Ibuprofen. Negatives: sleep disturbances, feet are ALWAYS freezing, and I'm experiencing frequent orthostatic hypotension. I had normal-to-low BP when starting this med so I don't think it's the right med for my body, since it lowers BP. I like not having migraines but can't exercise or live life if I'm always dizzy and weak.”