User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Anxiety

"Sometimes 10mg prevents my anxiety. Other times I need 30mg. Yes, I feel a little light headed, bu it's the only side effect for me. Propranolol vs Anti-anxiety Meds -Propranolol: I can breathe calmly and feel at ease -Anti-anxiety Meds: I feel as if the anxiety is bottled up inside me, waiting to be released. And I feel sedated. I'll update after 2 more weeks. BTW, I am on Mirtazapine and Propranolol for Depression and Anxiety"

America's Son (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

"Day 1 on 10mg of propranolol that my doctor prescribed it for my anxiety, so I decided to research it. Anxiety not gone I can still feel it, irregular heart beats, dry eyes & mouth & sleepless although I told him I’ve sleeping problems. That’s why I hate meds none work other than Xanax it’s so friendly & can stop it and resume anytime. My body is so weak currently but mind wide awake, tingling sensation & pulsing in my feet. Horrible!"

Farah August 8, 2018

"I have severe PTSD and anxiety. My doctor who I have now left cuz they’re dumb, gave me this to help. Says to take 20mg as needed for my attacks and it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I still sweat and shake and have horrible anxiety. Not worth it."

LadyJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2018

"This is my 1st day....but WOW! I am compelled to tell everyone! I am 48 and have had depression since about 18. I didn't do anything about it for about 25 years thanks to the stigma. Finally, my brain/body added anxiety to the mix. My depression is well controlled, but I can never quite pin down that stupid anxiety....over NOTHING! When my anxiety is high...I feel a bit floaty and disconnected, my arms feel maybe tingly or numb, my head feels scattered and unable to concentrate, I can practically feel adrenaline or cortisol coursing through me. I take several meds and I am fine with that...I don't want depression! I have clonazePAM...which still works fairly well...I just try not to use it all the time so it remains effective. My anxiety was high today...I had an appt with my psych nurse...she suggested we try 20 MG twice per day of Propranolol as needed. 30 minutes after that first pill...a calm washed over me...I could take deep cleansing breaths..feel my arms...I could think!!!"

DirtyBird (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2018

"I requested this medication from my GP as an alternative to the benzos she was suggesting to help with my anxiety at work. I had done some research and I had read that beta blockers would help with the physical symptoms of my anxiety (trembling, sweating, stammering) without altering my mental state. I was told to take the lowest dose (10mg) an hour before work and see if that helped. It worked incredibly. Although the actual feelings of anxiety were still present I was able to come across as calm and collected. My hands no longer shook, I wasn't sweating buckets and I could speak confidently. This quickly helped me to manage the feelings of anxiety and I'm glad that I was able to use this drug as an alternative to a potentially addicting benzo."

cdot101 (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2018

"Be very careful on this drug. I used is situationally for presentations and public speaking anxiety. It worked amazingly for those situations. No more shaky hands, voice, stuttering, panic, etc. And, I still felt clear headed. My issues came when I was told to take 40mg daily for anxiety. It started messing with my heart's electrical system and caused an irregular heart beat occasionally. Basically, at night my heart rate would slow way down and actually skip a beat making me wake up in a gasp. I would also feel this when I worked out. I was told this isn't dangerous by my Dr. but that is tough to believe when it feels like your heart stops for a second. So, occasionally, I think this drug is great. Just be careful taking it daily. I think there are better options out their for a daily anxiety drug that doesn't mess with your heart."

Aaron (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2018

"As with everything in life, I found that propranolol makes a significant difference to anxiety symptoms and helps me personally calm down/perform to my ability when public speaking. I work in the banking sector and experience extreme pressure and stress on occasions. It is a major game player and I would highly recommend for people that suffer and feel hindered by this awful condition. I also found my confidence significantly improved. However occasionally after use I do feel worn out, tired and emotionless. Also I can get headaches and chest pain Therefore I would suggest to only use when you really need to and under extreme pressure. It will make a significant difference for you."

C (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2018

"I started taking propranolol 10mg last week. For the last 10 years I've been suffering from anxiety and depression but never asked for help as I didn't want it getting noted on my file. I was put on propranolol 10mg for my anxiety which I thought would never go away - the overthinking the racing heart etc. Well this tablet was a life saver (literally). My confidence has came back, I don't get anxious anymore, it really is a miracle drug. I am going continue to take this twice a day 10mg in the morning and 10mg at 17.00pm. I would rate this medication 10 stars but it makes you tired throughout the day which sucks. Anyone with anxeity should 100% try this its amazing."

Getting back to myself. (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2018

"This drug is amazing. I don't have any real anxiety disorders but I used to be horrible in presentations. I used to shake so much and have a flushed face and people used to tell me that they felt I was crying while presenting ! But then I got introduced to propranolol. I take 10-20mg an hour before a presentation. You still get nervous you feel your heart beating and even people can see you're a bit nervous so at least you don't look like a drugged robot. However you don't get the shakiness anymore, no more redness, and you talk with confidence. For me so far I have used it like 4 times in two years and I never saw any side effects - maybe it depends on the person and their blood pressure whether u will have side effects or not. I do highly recommend this drug but do not recommend taking more than 40 mg for presentation purposes and always take it after a meal."

Ninny (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2018

"I don't recommend this to anyone who has low blood pressure. Mine is very low and my doctor was hesitant to give me propranolol but eventually agreed to let me try it. I was told to only take it for performance anxiety or on days when my anxiety is particularly bad, but the few times I have taken it I have experienced awful side effects. Within 45 minutes of taking the pill I begin to sweat profusely, I can feel that my heart rate has slowed down but the beats start to feel irregular and I get chest and stomach pains. A few hours after taking the pill I feel so weak and light-headed I can barely form sentences or walk, and I feel disorientated and confused. So if you have low blood pressure or low iron levels like I do, I strongly advise you try something else!"

Chloe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

"After 14 years of battling with horrendous physical anxiety, social, work etc, which consisted of my neck and face being brought to hot blood red from this and me looking like a complete idiot (as if there’s something wrong with me) I made an appointment at the doctors.... I was prescribed 40mg 3 times a day, ALL that anxiety and redness in my neck and face has gone, my cheeks are actually cool, I feel calm, finally! After all the comments from others about my appearance, running away from social situations, and declining invitations for social events etc, it’s as if it is over, I have only been taking a couple of days but worked instantly, let’s pray this carries on. For anybody else in my previous situation I recommend a strong daily dose of this!"

Blake (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

"I have generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder and panic attack disorder. I'm on 20 mg Lexapro, 200mg amitriptyline and 1-3 mg Clonazepam a day. When I get bad heart palpitations and/or angina (chest pain) from anxiety I take propranolol 40-120mg. Usually 40-80mg takes care of those heart symptoms but doesn't help any other anxiety symptoms. Just angina and fast heart beat."

Yusha (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 12, 2018

"Hi I just felt the need to share my experience as a lot of people will be in my position. I'm a normally very confident lad, I work in a restaurant so I regularly communicate with people I don't know without issues, I do however fall to pieces when in a presentation situation, exam or interview where anxiety seems to set in, I get shakey and my mind can go completely blank. I looked online for a possible cure for this when I came across propranolol, I ordered some online via an online UK med store and tested them out today before my apprenticeship test, I honestly can't believe how well they worked, I was talkative and could think throughout the test, an absolute great and staple for hard situations from now on!"

Pedro April 7, 2018

"I recently was put on this medication after being on 40mg for a week with zero effect they upped the dose to 80mg once a day still no change at all except being more tired and not being able to concentrate. Going to stick with it though will post another update soon"

Itsatrap (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

"I've been on Xanax for the last 3 years following a bout with Seratonin Syndrome due to taking St. Johns Wart. I've tried Paxil, Celexa and Trazodone which landed me in the hospital with tachycardia, and feeling much worse than when I started. My doctor weaned me off all meds and has had me on Xanax for anxiety (which I didn't have before the Seratonin Syndrome) and I still have anxiety on a daily basis, along with rapid heart rate. I started seeing a new doctor recently and she suggested Propranolol for my heart and said it would also help my anxiety. After much debate I decided I had to try something, especially since I now refuse to take any kind of SSRI'S. So, I asked for the lowest dose, 10mg twice a day, started with 5mg at first and I'm still working my way up. I've been on this medication for a week now and I feel so much more calm, my heart rate is now in the 80's opposed to the 120's and I don't feel the need to take as much Xanax as before. Glad I gave this drug a try!"

Aconley1980 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"Been taking propranolol for about two weeks or so first does was 40mg twice a day first 6 days were fine the 7th day I was lying on the bed and it felt as if my head didn’t work like it was switched off. Went back to the doctors who lowered it 10mg and still I feel the same "

Claire (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"I have had great results with this medication. It does not make me tired like lorazepam or other anxiety medications used on an as needed bases. Everyone will have a different response to this medication, but its worth talking to your healthcare provider about."

Mj (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2018

"I would not advise to take propanol for anxiety. It made me have bad blood circulation pains in legs, paranoid, cold hands, cold feet, very tired. Just take anxiety tablets instead."

Marie March 12, 2018

"Only been on this medication for one week and already feel a lot more calm, taking for anxiety, manic bouts of anger/frustration and overthinking. Feel so much calmer already and certain situations that would usually provoke my anger I don’t even feel bothered about. Only downside is when I took the 2 pills a day I had really bad insomnia so have lessened the dosage to 1 pill."

Louise (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"I take 10mg 3 times a day and it does nothing for me. It hasn’t helped with the anxiety attacks at all. I feel like I might as well not take them at all as I can’t tell the difference"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

"I was feeling from the adverse effects from stopping Valium after 10 years. Propranolol helps me to just feel myself normal again. It is amazing because I can now feel and think without the side effects of ceasing Valium. I take 40mg four times a day... Great medicine and without tolerance and addiction."

Trevor Monaghan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2018

"Immediately after my neurologist raised my propranolol I felt my anxiety go down significantly."

KathyHurley12345678980 February 18, 2018

"Was prescribed 10mg propranolol after sudden onset intermittent supraventricular tachycardia, borderline ventricular tachycardia, due to PTSD. Have taken many SSRIs and SNRIs with horrible side effects or received no results. My doctor thought this would be a good next step. Well... not so much. Took my first dose and within 45 minutes started feeling dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous. Nausea progressed to the point of vomiting and dry heaving for 4 hours until I could keep Zofran down. Also it made my blood pressure bottom out to 86/58 [clinically hypotensive], normal BP 110/70. Due to IBS I'm more prone to GI side effects but never experienced anything do severe. Doctor told me to immediately discontinue and prescribed Atenolol to replace it. We shall see how that goes."

EMT 911 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018

"This has to be the worst tablet I've ever taken so many side affects just not suitable for me started on 80mg a day 1st day blurred vision increased anxiety heart beats irregular paranoia. It made my life hell for 13 months in the end decided to wean off it and I am now on 10 mg twice a day and feel like my old self the next couple of weeks I'll be completely off it and never again will I go on this drug"

Pat365 January 25, 2018

"Tried xanax serotonin uptake inhibitors and did not help me with my panic attacks and anxiety. Only propranolol helped me and i was relieved from symptoms of constant tachycardia and palpitations.. best medicine ever."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2018