User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Inderal, Inderal LA, Hemangeol, InnoPran XL, Inderal XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

"This medication takes the personality out of my looks, my face. It ages me. Makes my eyes dreadful. I’m sure it’s great for some people."

Anonymous May 11, 2019

"I've had depression and anxiety since I was 7 years old and I'm 54 years old now. I really need it to work to save me from my anxiety because it's unbearable. It's just going to take awhile. I look forward to actually feeling a little better because of this little tablet. I will be back to check in in 1 month."

Germario April 26, 2019

"Been on this medicine going on week 3 in 2 days. I recommend it. It changed my life for the better. Currently on 20 mg 3 times a day. It took effect after a week being on it. No longer feel anxiety , no more racing heart and blood pressure so much lower and better. So glad my doctor prescribed a medicine works for me!!!"

J. DAVIS (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2019

"This drug has helped some with my anxiety. I've taken it for several years and it seems to be losing it's effectiveness. I take 80mg ER daily. Now my BP is ridiculously low. 70/50. The Drs don't seem concerned but I think it's making me feel like garbage. Always fatigued and light headed. Anyone else had this problem?"

Nell (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2019

"Seems to work well for an as and when, it helped my mood to begin with but that effect has wained over time, now it helps me fall asleep and helps with my random cardiac episodes, I do suffer from anxiety but I do not believe these particular episodes are related because I know how a panic attack feels, most recently I was sat on the sofa with my son asleep on my lap and it suddenly came on, chest pains, breathlessness, feeling weak but not overly faint, lifting my left arm hurt, the tablets eliminated all cardiac symptoms and helps me feel more comfortable with my anxiety issues, I would not recomend taking any medication every day but for an as and when treatment it has worked very well for the most part, only issue is it only treats the physical symptoms and helps calm you to an extent but the worry is always there"

Blagbob (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2019

"I developed social anxiety at around the age of 26, it would be especially heightened in stressful situations (eg job interviews, presentations) where I could develop tremors or the head, sweating, racing heart and a mind blank. I have found that propranolol has completely got rid of all physical symptoms, the fact they have gone means I can focus more on the presentation or topic of conversation and I find it the mental block has 90% disappeared in turn - I was was in a place where I thought nothing could help me, propranolol has really helped me and I would recommend it to anyone who is having severe issues with social anxiety!!"

Ols (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 12, 2019

"I have tried several different medications to get rid of the overwhelming amounts of social anxiety I get nearly every day. At first I was a little skeptical about starting a new medication for anxiety especially because it's not specifically made for anxiety. After realizing how dumb and out of it xanax made me I gave it a try. Propranolol has definitely helped me overcome the day to day fears that would usually cause me to have anxiety. It takes about 5 minutes for it to work and I immediately feel relieved. I only take a 20mg tablet (immediate release) as I feel my anxiety creeping up and the anxiety is gone for the rest of the day. I've also recently taken it for migraines and it also helps get rid of them. Honestly I would recommend trying it to see how it works for you if you have good pharmacy insurance its really not expensive."

cooldogmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2019

"I was prescribed 80mg of propranolol for anxiety and headaches and saw no effect for around 3 weeks. After this I started experiencing chest pain, my heart skipping a beat, beating too slow, calf pain, cold hands and feet, feeling breathless and having sleep disturbances. I have now asked my doctor to lower the dose so I start 40mg today, I just want to be off this medication and I wish I never started it in the first place. I would not recommend this drug"

Ez (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

"Am on propranolol 10mg and l have low thyroid, so I'm on levothyroxine 50mcg. I am always puffed out and not doing anything. I can’t get sleep and when do it’s not for long and l wake up panicking thinking I’m going to die. If I am on go all day l feel like am on battery’s need charging up."

Jenny (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2019

"I work as a barber in London , been cutting for 7 years now , love my job work with great people. ThenBANGGG!! Anxiety, panic attacks come from no where !!!! Struggled going to work the worst thing about it all is that the blushing I got all over my neck and face was a joke. It got to the point were I looked like a freak. It was killing me , a vicious cycle. The doctor recommended 40mg propranolol to take twice daily, only took 40 mg and it works a treat no blushing!!!!!!! Still a few butterflies but not to bad. No side effects maybe a bit more of a appetite. I couldn't recommend enough to people. I wish you all well in your journey to conquer anxiety. Remember you are not alone. God bless."

D (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

"I have severe anxiety, and propranolol does nothing to treat it except for lower my heart rate. I think it would be good to use for basic or shallow-rooted fears like public speaking or events like that. However, as someone who has panic attacks daily and is currently not on any SSRI/SNRI’s, life is pretty miserable. I don’t recommend it for my situation."

rabbit (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2019

"Sorry to say this but I find this drug a menace, yes it helps anxiety should you not mind being up all night through wanting to go to the toilet every hour, dry itchy skin on hands and face, a bit wobbly and bad balance should you you take it regularly, but trying to come off from it is twice as bad as the anxiety I had from a cancer operation in my nose. The doctors must know something better. I would leave it well alone given the choice. No no no !"

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2019

"Finally found something to help my infrequent anxiety attacks that doesn't knock me off my feet. They help me re gain calm, and think a bit clearer. I was prescribed 10 mg a day "as and when needed" up to 3 tablets a day. No known side effects for me."

Emzypooo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2018

"Sorry, have taken Propanolol at a low dose of 10mg every evening. Simply put, it made me like a zombie. It :- - Took 75% of my personsality away from me. I have my own business, I couldn’t operate / converse at all - Made me feel like I was distant - Gave me itchy rashes - Made me wheeze To name a few ... Now am on diazepam only. Thank goodness and I feel like me again. Propanolol - It’s not for me. If you’re prescribed it; I hope it works for you, as we are all different."

JohnTPH123 December 15, 2018

"This tablet has changed my life for the best! Terrible anxiety for years and everything crumbled last Christmas where I could not leave the house without having a panic attack. I wanted to die then cause it was really that out of control. But this tablet has helped me climb out that dark place and gave me hope. Please try this or if you have just started taking it you should feel a lot better soon and some well deserved relief from this horrible condition."

Guniea pig mum (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2018

"I've had the odd anxiety attack over past 3 years. They came from nowhere. Probs caused by marriage breakdown and my son being diagnosed epileptic. The final straw was 2 months ago when I had an attack and I thought I was going to die! Extreme dizziness feeling sick rapid heartbeat feeling very hot and shaky then fainted. Tests showed everything normal apart from high bp. Have been given 40mg once a day to see if this helps. Reading reviews I'm hoping they do"

Jayniec December 4, 2018

"Was prescribed propranolol 3 months ago after suffering for years with heart palpitations, skipped beats and extra beats.. After thorough investigations my doctors could find nothing out of the ordinary wrong with my heart and I guess I knew deep down I was suffering with anxiety.. So I take 20mg in the morning and 10mg at night.. OMG.. the effects were almost immediate I remember stepping out of the shower in the morning and my heart rate was lovely and slow, not racing like the clappers as usual.. What a relief.. But like everyone says on here this medication only helps keep your physical symptoms in check. But because of this it does help with the worrying.. Anyway bottom line I would recommend in a Heart beat.. No pun intended ♥️"

Joyce (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2018

"Today is my first day using This med. I am 133 pounds and take 10mg 1/day. I took it 1 hr before training. My historical symptoms were shaky voice during public speaking- large groups small groups informal and formal- dry throat wanting to run out the room during round table introductions pounding heart beats felt in my ears, daily heart palpitations, reluctant to apply for promotions , sweating underarms and all over my body, reluctant to drive On highways, considered retiring to avoid public speaking and an overall sense of hopelessness. Anxiety is the worse and it controlled me. Today was a good day. I drove to work no pounding heart beats. I participated in training and introduced myself without shaky voice. AND I didn’t want to run out of the room. I look forward to putting my life back on track. I will write more reviews and look forward to crossing off my symptoms as I continue to use this Medicine. Thanks to the geniuses who made this medicine possible."

4fingafranky November 30, 2018

"I took it and it is horrible, I could not sleep at all, even with 2mg valium and sleeping pills prescribed by the doctor it made me worst, and my blood pressure when higher than usual, now I did not sleep and have to go to work, I told my doctor that 2mg of valium was not helping with my anxiety so she gave me this medication, omg I have had her as a DR for 2 years, I asked her if she could just give me a high dosage of valium. To control my panic attack she said I would get addictive, I'm 46 years old taking 2 milligrams of diazepam and it is not working. Propranolol is the worst thing I ever had. Even gave me headache I'm up just like it up every day I. The daytime , horrible."

Mad November 18, 2018

"I have experienced extreme social anxiety when I have to present in front of groups. Which unfortunately is my job. The anxiety would get so bad that I felt like I was going to pass out. Propranolol has definitely taken the edge off and allows me to perform my job. I'm not as tired as I was under Klonopin. I much prefer propranolol"

Hoj (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 16, 2018

"I must say, I am NOT a fan of medication... however, this stuff has been a God-send! I have absolutely crippling anxiety, which makes me feel sick and dizzy and stops me from being able to function. Propranalol seems to totally block these feelings and symptoms. It’s totally remarkable. And I am so grateful."

Dystopia (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

"I lost my wonderful mum at beginning of the year to Cancer and on my Sons 10th Birthday. I have never had panic attacks before so to have my 1st was scary. I have since had several and whilst driving even more so. rief has taken its toll on me and bringing back my mum won't happen but this drug has helped slow my heart and reduce my panic attacks."

Littlejem (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

"I've been taking Propranolol for about 3 years for anxiety only in the winter months. I normally take 20mg twice a day. It is excellent for stopping the physical side effects which you think other people will notice (shaking etc) so makes you more confident to face anxious situations. It does not change your mind or thinking in any way. I have had no side effects whatsoever from this medicine. I find it very quick acting; for example you can take it 30 minutes before an anxious situation."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2018

"After having a few bad presentations where I got major shakes and voice tremor, I decided to give this a go. I seemed to have developed major stage fright some where along my career. Due to deliver a Presentation to 150 people and use a hand held mic. This pill is a game changer. I took 10mg two hours before and then 20mg an hour before my slot. I practised heavily (I always prepare)and used my kids kareoke machine to get used to my voice through a mic! I felt calm on the actual morning after first pill took effect and I absolutely nailed the presentation. No shakes, not even many nerves and my mind was focussed. I did suffer a bad headache later in the day and that nights sleep was poor but it was worth it. I wouldn’t hesitate to use this again ad-hoc when such situations arise. I’m not normally one who leaves reviews but if this helps just one person with the same problem as me, it’s been worth it."

Mrs Smith October 5, 2018

"Suffered horrendously from severe panic attacks on a daily basis. GP didn’t want to increase my SSRI dosage, so placed me on 40mg of these. Worked wonders! Though, I can definitely feel a difference if I accidentally miss a dose."

JJ13 October 2, 2018