User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, Hemangeol, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

Shannon · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

"I've been on propranolol 10mg 1x/daily (AM) for anxiety for 1 month. It seems to be combating physical symptom pretty quickly. Ex) I have thick hair & it feels like I'm always wearing a hat. Especially after I shower, my face gets hot, my hair traps it, & my face sweats, making my anxiety worse. Since starting this drug, the sweating stops sooner & I don't feel hot as long. I don't feel PVCs anymore, & the thought of leaving my house doesn't make me want to cry. The tightness in my chest stopped, I don't feel like a live grenade, & I'm less irritable. I have gained about 5lbs & if this isn't temporary I'll have to stop the drug. I have body dysmorphia, so weight gain is not tolerable for me. Finally, I have had a few dizzy spells on this drug if I don't eat enough. I'm happy so far & hope I can stay around this dose so I don't have cardiac side effects when I end up stopping. There goes my anxiety again!"

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2019

"I take this occasionally for social anxiety especially when I have to give a presentation. I take 20-40 mg. I have a major fear of public speaking and this medication has helped me SO much with that. Your first reaction to stress is a physical response, your heart races and then your brain kicks in and tells you your anxious. Propanolol eliminates that physical response and helps me feel way more at ease in social situations. I don’t recommend taking it daily if you don’t need it because I feel that it dulls me down quite a bit, I find it better used occasionally for specific situations. One side effect is trouble falling asleep"

aarch01 · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2019

"I took my first dose of propanolol today I noticed a difference in my anxiety. I don't believe that this medicine will take away my anxious thoughts but that is not what bothers me. What bothers me is the constant nervous feeling, my heart beating very fast and the trembling in my body and voice whenever I feel anxious. I'm not like that all the time only in situation when I'm uncomfortable. I definitely believe that I have agoraphobia. But after just one pill I do feel better and I imagine with time that I will be feeling completely normal. I will come back in a week and share my experience and then after one month. I'm already very excited about my experience."

Akul016 · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2019

"Worst drug I ever took, I was so sick for one month, nausea, low energy, throwing up, couldn’t sleep, hallucinations when I closed my eyes, nightmares, fatigue, blurred vision, chest pain, couldn’t breathe, fast heartbeat, depersonalization, loss of memory, libido disappeared, no appetite, couldn’t concentrate, fainting, body pain."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

"I am taking inderal for migraine and essential tremor. Makes me weak and gives me sore muscles"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2019

"I've been taking this medicine for 4 month now but it is not working. It makes me very angry, and my anxiety level is high now as well."

H.sh July 23, 2019

"With propranolol 40 mg twice daily to 3 times I no longer feel the bad anxiety. I tried xanax and lexapro but they helped nothing like Inderal (propranolol)"

marvin July 21, 2019

"Propranolol is excellent for damping-down anxiety (actually eliminated mine). In a past life I used alcohol to attempt to deal with anxiety. I was put on propanapol for a liver disease issue but it had the unexpected benefit of getting rid of the anxiety I was feeling altogether. I take 10 mg in the am and 10mg at night. Helps with sleep too. I owe so much to this medication."

Cherry · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 21, 2019

"Got put on 120mg for major anxiety and was great for about three weeks then the trouble started as my heart rate dropped to 40, blood pressure which was already low dropped to 80/40 hospitalized and have been told by hospital drs never take it again. My dr said to try 10 mg once a day which then put me back in hospital thinking I was having a heart attack unable to form sentences. I knew what was going on but I couldn't think to form a sentence and I was like wow wall paint is pretty. So no this drug is not for me and I would start slow on it just to find out how your body will react it may be great for some people but everyone is different. but for me it's a no."

Skyfaith · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2019

"I have been taking propranolol for almost 3 months for anxiety. I've got to say by far it's the best med I've taken. After being on antidepressants prozac then citalopram and now sertraline and none of them work to stop my panic attacks. My doctor decided to try me on beta blockers, I've honestly got my life back I was basically agraphobic before this. Highly recommend"

drinkingskunk July 14, 2019

"Propranolol helped with sweaty hands and tremors. The doctor told me 10mg maybe 20mg, at those doses didn't feel any different. Then I tried higher doses at 40mg morning 40mg afternoon then 20 mg at night finally got the benefit at higher doses. It works like benzos without the tired or loopy side effect."

Dot July 8, 2019

"I have greatly benefited from this drug regarding my anxiety and panic attacks. It totally gave me my life back. Started on 80mg SR but found these too strong after about a week. Struggled for a while with side effects but now taking 10mg x3 daily. I did discover the importance of taking them at regular intervals and this prevents many of the side effects."

Bun · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

"Took 10 mg once. May have reduced my heart rate slightly. Side effects: nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, red and warm face, fatigue and weakness (although I'm pretty damn tired from the panic anyway). Won't use it again."

JY · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

"I have severe anxiety, depression and bipolar and been on a lot of different medications. Have been on Benzos that’s lasted several weeks and lost their effect. Valium was the only Benzo that I could take consistently without me becoming tolerant but I didn’t want to become addicted to a benzo because of my addictive personality. My doctor recommended propranolol for my anxiety because my anxiety level is constantly a 10 on scale and man has it made a difference for the good. I’m on 40mg twice a day and my anxiety level has came down tremendously."

Sam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 30, 2019

"Worked amazingly the first 2 months, then I started becoming paranoid, depressed and delusional.... Also, IT MADE MY HAIR FALL OUT! this is not a chemical meant for long term use."

Cory June 30, 2019

"This is the “Miracle Drug” I have been looking for! I take 40 mg in the morning, and 40 mg early evening. It relieves my anxiety and worry 100%!!! I feel like a new human being! I HIGHLY Recommend this medication for anxiety and worry. IT WORKS!!!"

Pickles · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2019

"I have a specific social phobia around my hands trembling in public. It affects eating, writing, drinking...even doing a quick signature is tough for me. Propanolol works wonders. I try not to take it everyday because I get worried the effectiveness will wear off if i do. They help me concentrate when I would otherwise be in a fog of panic! My heart just beats normally which stops the panic cycle from starting and best of all...no tremor!"

Angel · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2019

"I’ve only gotten the chance to use Inderal (10mg, one tablet) a couple times for anxiety and feelings of starting panic attacks, but it successfully calms my anxiety and my heart. I’ve only used it during the evening, so I cannot say if it causes lowering of my blood pressure to the point of dizziness, I feel fine walking around at home, also doesn’t cause tiredness. My biggest concern was that it might cause problems with my asthma as well, but that hasn’t been affected either."

Billy boy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

"Can't stand propranolol it gives me chest pains and makes me out of breath if you have it everyday. Don't touch it"

Satish · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2019

"Its amazing drug"

Lulu · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2019

"Right well I didn’t take any propranolol today and I felt more human. Less tired and alert. I take half an Amitriptyline now instead early evening. It was definitely the propranolol that put the damper on me."

cas · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 7, 2019

"I typically take propranolol as soon as I can feel a panic attack coming on, or if I'm feeling really on edge. It helps to get rid of my chest pain that comes with my panic attacks along with shortness of breath. Overall it gets me to a place where I am able to calm myself down without being worried about my physical symptoms."

Kristathisdrugtookmeout June 5, 2019

"This was the worst thing I have ever taken. My doctor gave this for anxiety. What a joke. I was born with SVT had the ablation at age 39. It was the best thing I ever did. I am now 47 and my doctor gives me this drug because benzo’s are additive. I was sick for 6 months and had no idea it was this drug. Not only did it not work but it brought back those terrible feelings of not being in control of my heart. I think I am now suffering from PTSD because it took me back to a place I left in my 30’s, the feeling of dying. I am so annoyed! She gave me more anxiety and my family thought I was going crazy and so did I. I have been sick with stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Last night I mistakenly took it and the symptoms started again, this time my tongue started to swell up. Finally my husband started to believe me. We are both so annoyed. Don’t trust your doctor, research the drug and if you have had any prior heart problems do not take"

Ann June 3, 2019

"I take 80mgs a day, sometimes 160 mgs for anxiety it it really works well. It realy calms me down and stops panic attacks and worry. So glad I was prescribed this."

Hollz · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 16, 2019

"I feel this propranolol is a really good tablet, it helps with my anxiety and helps calm me down and make my heart beat normal. I only take one a day just now but I feel I might raise it to two as by the time night time comes I feel a bit anxious again. Been brilliant so far. Been on it for. Few years on and off."

Learn more about Anxiety

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)