User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Anxiety

"Went through a tough time at work which was causing severe anxiety. Called the Dr who prescribed this drug. Initially felt drowsy and a bit spaced out (this only lasted a day so maybe take in to account when you first start using) Effects are fantastic! Slowed everything down enough to get clarity of thought, speech & actions without imparing cognitive or physical function. Less reactive & less snappy! Wish I'd known about it earlier. It won't make issues go away or solve them but it will help take a logical clear view of the situation and hopefully make better decisions."

Hope this helps (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"WOW I've just come home after delivering my big presentation to over 100 people. It was incredible. No panic, no shaking voice, no crazy beating heart, just calm.... I'm blown away.. normally I can't even talk to over 3 people. Didn't realise how much social anxiety had limited my life until trying this medication- I feel like I can finally be me. Sadly It was only prescribed as a one off from my GP to help with this event, she said I'll need to try counselling in future."

AlexandraBelle19 (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So after years on atenolol and walking round like a zombie sleeping constantly I finally got someone to listen to all my ailments and realise they are all connected to taking 100mg a day of this drug "

Fcukup (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was apprehensive to take this. My heart was beating out of my chest, I was weak, hot flashes...weird stuff. I have been on 10 mg a day now for a month and I am starting to feel like my old self. I have been exercising more and seeing a therapist also, but I think this drug made me functional again. It has been a lifesaver."

Ladybug1913 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Propranolol worked for my anxiety but it also lowered my blood pressure too much which I ended up in the hospital. So when you see your doctor make sure you get the lowest dose at first."

ECane (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"2 years ago I started to experience internal tremors, with that came the feeling I couldn't inhale enough air into my body to breath, my leg muscles would twitch, and achy arm and leg muscles. Bedtimes where horrendous, I could feel my pulse/heartbeat in every inch of my body, as I fell asleep (when I did) my body would jerk me awake again, I became easily startled even with familiar noises, so I went to the doctor who said I was suffering from anxiety, citralopram was prescribed and after 6 weeks I felt better, I took it for 5 months and then was weaned off, 3 days ago after 4 months with no symptoms, all the feelings are back, prescribed propranolol 10mg 3 x daily, quick acting, it's early days but fingers crossed,"

Secretminstrell (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"what gives you that anxiety feeling is you being like OMG then your mind tells your body to release adrenaline. The adrenaline is that stressed out feeling. The propranolol stops you adrenal gland from producing adrenaline. This fixed the anxiety. The facts not opinions"

Stops Anxiety Adrenaline (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to shake, get nauseous, dry mouthed, and blush terribly when I had to give presentations. This medication got me through college. Eventually, I didn't need them anymore for presentations. Still take one before an interview though! Doesn't cure nervousness, but removes the symptoms! Love it!"

Sarah M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder which I knew I had but never treated as I was skeptical ... Using propranolol on 10mg 2 times a day or 20 mg at night never more ...it was ok for a short time and worked instantly but symptoms returned 3 x worse than ever .. I don't take anything now and try not to rely to much on medication Anxiety never leaves me I'm shaking now with nerves Thanks but I wont take them again"

Mell82 June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have to say after my major anxiety attack my Doc put me on propranolol 50mg and sertraline 50 mg but neither did enough and I was experiencing severe body shakes and feel like I have a lump in my throat constantly making me retch all the time. This was now 4 months ago now doctor has upped both my Meds 100mg sertraline and 160 mg propranolol per day they are dosing me up but swallowing problem still a major issue"

dee79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After years and yrs of chronic anxiety having tried citalopram & diazepam and still I was having major bad all day long anxiety I finally give in to the propranolol (I was on this years ago but I didn't like it) all I can say is its absolutely amazing....I'm only needing between 10 & 20mg a day and honestly it's a life saver. I am the women who couldn't even take her kids to school without someone being with me and now I'm off and I don't panic about every situation anymore!! Try it...it's fab xx"

Katyfinley2017 June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amazing!!! Only 20 mg took away all fight or flight symptoms during presentations. I couldn't be more happy with this drug, I highly recommend!!"

Isabelle124 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is a incredible for relieving physical symptoms. I went through years of struggling with various other medications and it was only recently a younger doctor said okay let's try this. Now I gave this a 10/10 for a reason but when I first started taking it (the 1st night) I felt high. The next day I had an incredibly low mood and sub-degree freezing temperatures which lasted 2 days before I went back to a doctor who said they are well known transient side effects that will go away after 2 weeks so I stuck it out and after a week and a half I felt so much better - my severe hand tremor went away, facial ticking reduced and my body stopped constantly pumping adrenaline! Note: I use in conjunction with mirtazapine."

Lucyboots (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is only my 2nd day of taking this wonderful drug.. I've had horrendous anxiety. I've been taking Xanax but it never has given me the immediate relief this medication has. Right now I'm on 20mg once a day.. The Dr said we can increase after we see if it works. I would love to be able to get off the Xanax all together and just take this. I don't feel jittery, my hands don't shake and I feel an inner calmness.. I've been taking it at night when I go to bed. For the first time in I don't know how long I was able to sleep 6 hrs straight. Usually it's only 3-4 and that's with the help if a sleeping pill.. So going to give it a little while longer and ask for an increase in this medication and to be weaned off of the Xanax."

Linda T-P May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Years of anxiety GAD and depression countless pills and potions this one was prescribed for twice a day or as and whenever I need. This is only week two and the difference is greatly visible my sleep patterns improved my appetite also better I feel less shaky and wound up and have coped better on situations which would have stressed me before. All though it is early days I really think this is the medication for me for now it is doing exactly what it is supposed to and would recommend it if allowed for someone else in my situation :)"

Wendazzle May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've just been prescribed these today and Im feeling a little better already I've recently come out of a 6 year relationship not by my choice and I've been really down and having panic attacks which is no good when trying to look after a three year old but I'm feeling a lot less tense and my minds not on overdrive like usual"

Charwesty94 May 10, 2017

"Changed my life"

Jhfg May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm only on day 1 but it has calmed my heart rate right down from 140bpm to 88bpm"

Lauraxx (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed with Propranolol 80mg for anxiety while driving... I was so scared to drive! My mouth would go dry (my mouth would stop producing saliva - seriously!), I would sweat under my arms profusely, my legs would feel like jelly after stepping out of the car, my feet would twitch as I was SO nervous! I take one 80mg tablet before driving (I sometimes take two if I'm feeling very anxious). I resumed driving today and it was a much better experience! I didn't sweat at all, I don't feel scared, my legs don't feel like jelly, my mouth still goes dry but it's not a huge problem like it was - as I could not produce saliva at all as I was so nervous! Lastly, I do not twitch at all! I do not have any side effects, such as nightmares."

iy1onic May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been suffering with this anxiety problem for years and it was starting to interfere with my life. I am a confident person socially, but my fear of presentations was huge and I would my voice would tremble to the extent where it sounded like I was full on crying. I researched medication for this fear and found propanolol. My doctor prescribed me with 80mg Half Inderal (Propanolol) and despite what some say, he was not hesitant about giving me a prescription and said he regularly gives it to musicians/public speakers etc. It has worked wonders for me, I no longer embarrass my self and now feel happy and confident. You may still feel nervy, but the adrenaline does not kick in. I have not suffered any symptoms and only take it seldomly."

gmc2017 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is and amazing drug for anxiety. I've been on it for about two weeks and I feel so much better. I cannot take an SSRI or SNRI for anxiety because The side effects are too bad. This drug keeps my body from reacting to stressful situations. For years, probably 30 years I have had physical problems because of this stress. Irritable bowel and many other physical problems. I have a very stressful job and it was getting so bad I didn't want to go to work. Now I don't react physically to stress and I am feeling like I did as a younger person. This drug has so little side effects and it's been around for a long time. I wish I would've tried this year's ago."

Mrs Anxious (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My anxiety is out of control I will panic over anything Hate taking medication was on serterline but felt very sleepy and out of it Now Doc gave me propranolol have taken one a few days ago and felt better but afraid to take another My heartbeat is going crazy and I have high blood pressure also a hernia And lots of stomach pains Also I get this weird dizzy feelings in my head , although never fainted Had a few heart tests but been told anxiety It's hard to believe as I feel dreadful and I don't sleep much "

Ghghgh (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a one year old child, I work 4 days a week, I'm buying my first house and my dad passed away. I'm the only family my dad had so I had a huge responsibility to sort. I coped as well as I could have until the third week where it hit me. Traumatic stress. I went back to work, my jobs intense and socially demanding (sales). I couldn't cope or continue to live with how I felt. The doctor gave me these tablets as well as antidepressants and I feel the worlds weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am free to function normally and get through each day now. However I do feel the tablets wear off and the anxiety creeps in. Perfect quick fix but the underlying issue is still there. However, I don't have to deal with that right now!"

Charlottegfdcbj February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Golly I am disappointed. I tried this for my anxiety because it was getting out of control. I could not extend conversations beyond a minute or so without getting all flustered. Could not think, started to sweat, heart beat faster, tightness in my chest, hands tingle, could not breathe. None of those are fun things! Even basic day to day stuff like getting a haircut would freak me out enough to avoid. My hair looks terrible now! So my Psychologist and MD recommended this drug. He, the MD, told me he took it himself for public speaking . "Take one 10 mg tablet and a feeling of calm washes over me." Unfortunately I have been taking it three days now, two 10 mg pills three times a day, and I feel absolutely nothing."

Used to be very outgoing. February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got diagnosed with general anxiety discorder at 26 after I had surgery which went wrong. I had a diagnostic procedure on my womb and they punctured my bladder 3 times and I got left with a catheter. I'm a director of a business and am often having to present and do talks to very high profile people I started to lose my confidence and started getting panic attacks which I couldn't control and make worse. I've tried everything possible and then went on to propranolol only 10mg to take as and when I feel anxious, I've been taking one in the morning as I wake up anxious and usually that lasts all day, sometimes I take one in the afternoon if I feel I need it. Its changed my life and I now have my confidence back"

Sophie P February 2, 2017