User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, Inderal XL InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

Dani · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

“I was prescribed 10 mg propranolol when required but I take it every morning because it lasts all day and I can actually socialize without anxiety for the first time in years. I’m amazed. I am able to be relaxed. No more racing heart, no shaking, no stuttering, no sweating, and I can look people in the eyes. I can just be chill. I am so grateful. I haven’t noticed any side effects. I have been on it for a week.”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

“This propranolol has been a life-saver for me. I have a thyroid condition which triggers anxiety, because my heart is always racing, even when I’m not nervous, and this caused me to basically have anxiety from knowing that I sound nervous all the time — even though I’m really not. Since taking a small dose, my heart beats normally, and the world has gone back to a regular pace. Really good stuff.”

Bundle of anxiety · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2020

“Doc said my anxiety is off the charts. On a scale 0-100 it’s 150 all the time. Certain situations are worse, so I take a few before and it’s much better. Can’t live without these.”

Jojo February 28, 2020

“I've been taking propanolol for a week. Dr prescribed 10mg per day but I only take 5mg. It has been stressful past months that cause bad anxiety. So Dr recommended to take 5mg if I didn't want to take 10mg is what am doing. It helped lower bp & heart rate due to anxiety for sure. My concern was I didn't take for a day bcuz my bp was normal and I felt good the whole day the next day at 530am woke up with fast heart beat, my left arm went cold and my wrist hurt a bit too, I panic because it felt like what a heart attack symptom sounds like but I don't know if was due to not taking the medicine for a day or it was just anxiety while sleeping which I haven't experienced the arm feeling before. I took 5mg it help me calm down but my arm still feels cold. I'll talk to my dr about it and see what is suggested for me to do or maybe ask to see a cardiologist because that feeling in my arm scared me bad. Side effects for propranolol are minimum like dizziness & diarrhea right after taking it.”

Catty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2020

“I take 30mg dose propranolol before I go to my university to help my social anxiety that give me heart palpitations and chest pains. This medication has done nothing for the mental aspects of my anxiety, but it has stopped my physiological symptoms caused by it. After about 5 hours I have to take another one. My psych says I should take one if I feel I'm about to have a panic attack, but it hasn't worked for me to help control them.”

jack · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“I've been on propranolol for 2 years now and it works wonders on my anxiety”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2020

“Well I have been on this medication propranolol for anxiety for over 3 years now. I take 40mg 3 times a day it helps my anxiety no end before I wasn't on this medication I would get severe anxiety attacks to the point where I was experiencing physical symptoms such as heart palpitations and chest pain and a racing heart rate which was scary due to anxiety. Ever ever since I have taken this medication I feel more calmer and spaced out I do get 1 side effect though and that is tiredness but that is normal I can live with that side effect I am so pleased with this medication would highly recommend if you have anxiety. And stage fright”

Jarbles · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 3, 2020

“This was added to my Adderall XR doses. I am not sure it works but these two have been hand in hand for years now. I know others who taken it for speeches and have felt no anxiety. I guess I am less angry all the time. I am now taking bipolar meds and I guess it’s supposed to help with certain side effects of those, so kudos I guess. I’ll say the only side effect I noticed was an initial over heating and sweating when I first started but that went away pretty quick.”

Janbee · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

“I’m a female, 23, 125 lbs, taking propranolol 10mg for anxiety. This medication has worked really well for treating my fast heart rate when I get anxiety (120-145 bpm). I was very hesitant at first to take this as I was nervous for the side effects (darn you anxiety!) but I did not get any side effects! I have found that it’s better to take this before you know you’re going into a situation that will make you nervous. However, if you take it in the morning it will help all day. I have taken two 10mg while having a panic attack and it did work within 5-10 minutes. I definitely think this med is a short term solution for anxiety but I will continue taking as it has saved me so many times.”

Benzene · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“Been on it for about a week and I love it. This was prescribed to me for anxiety as well as citalopram and I could tell the effects of it from the first day. No elevated heart rate from a stressful situation, no increase in blood to brain, no anxiety! I stay completely grounded and in the moment. Plus, so far no side effects. It's a god send! I'll share my experiences after a month or two as well.”

Pea · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

“I've only been on propranolol for a couple of days, I was prescribed these due to constant ectopics (heart flutters) due to anxiety, however could not get them to stop. They've been a problem for a few years but they've never been so bad. This medicine has pretty much stopped my ectopics all together if not reduced them so much where I can actually relax! I would really recommend”

2xlx January 22, 2020

“propranolol really works when I'm nervous, only take 10 mg dose one a day, but it really works, no sweat and no stress inside”

Windy · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 20, 2020

“propranolol is great for anxiety, but killed my sense of smell... hence killed my libido, as no pheromones... It has made life miserable for the last 3 years in lots of ways. Not enjoying food etc.. and worries re bad smells I couldn't detect like smoke and bad food..Glad I discovered what was causing this which was after not collecting my repeat prescription accidentally”

Sane January 14, 2020

“This drug I used 2 months it's okay but When I quit this drugs it is horrible..”

carlton1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

“Ok here we are 3 months later, I've been taking 40mg propranolol for anxiety and they worked for the first 2 months leaving me with fatigue but taking the edge off it, like a horse with blinkers on. Now I take it and I feel worse excess sweating and nonsensical thoughts to whip up my anxiety. Ia m at a loss the doctor said increase it, and my thoughts are where does it end! I personally think I am going to decrease it by biting half the tablet and try something else. It is dreadful. I really do feel for you people suffering from anxiety, there is no easy fix, I tend to use alcohol which works, but short lived and comes with its own payoff. Ia m stuck. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.”

Chezzers · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 9, 2020

“I have had symptoms or anxiety from a small age that has just progressed into adolescence where it morphed into panic attacks and physical illness due to stressful or anxious situations. As an active teenager I take part in a lot of social and competitive situations such as sports and leadership roles in cadets. The physical manifestation of anxiety, cold sweats, shaking, sickness, lightheadedness, tiredness, chest pain etc is painful and stressful especially since I manage it mentally very well and can't seem to stop my body's automated response. I was prescribed 60mg of propranolol which has absolutely NO effect. I get side effects such as cold hands and feet, and fatigue. Other than that all anxiety symptoms continue to persist. I have been taking the medication for over half a year and it has been no different in that time. However everyone is different and my cousin had a very bad reaction on 10mg which made her very ill. So I can't say much for it. Sorry.”

Anonymous January 8, 2020

“I just started taking Propranolol 20 mg three times a day for fast heart rate due to anxiety. Day one I took 2 pills and felt a little dizzy and had diarrhea. Day 2 I took one pill in the morning and felt the same way and it gave me diarrhea. Day 3 I decided to stop the propranolol and didn’t take any more.This medicine has some serious side effects. Right, now I’m feeling so dizzy and maybe its a withdraw I’m not sure, but there’s no way I’ll take anymore. I check my blood pressure it was a little low so I ate a can of soup to bring it back up some hoping it would stop some of the dizziness but that wasn’t the case. The reviews say it takes about two days to clear your system but the side effects can last up to one week. Today, is the first day without it, and these side effects are no joke. Not to mention my head feels so heavy and burning feeling and my eyesight is blurry. Be cautious and do your research before taking this medicine. I don’t recommend it.”

Alphabravo33 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2019

“This drug propranolol works well for anxiety on a low dose of 10mg twice a day for me. However at a higher dose of 20 mgs twice a day, it was horrible! I had every side affect in the book at that dosage. The dosage makes a big difference. My wife takes 40 mg twice a day for migraines and has zero side effects. I guess we are all different. These reviews would be a lot more helpful if reviewers listed their dosage and how many times per day they take the medication. Someone taking 160 mgs a day could have a much different experience than someone taking 20 mgs a day. More detailed reviews would help!”

Nat · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2019

“My life for the past few months has been a series of catastrophes, and therefore my anxiety has started presenting in physical symptoms. My doctor prescribed propranolol to me after I discussed having heart palpitations and tingling in my face (I also had a panic attack in his office... but that's neither hear nor there). He told me that this is a medication I can take when necessary. I normally take it when symptoms of anxiety arise, and I find it helps to reduce them. It works best as a preventative measure, however. For example, if I am going into a situation that I know causes anxiety (like going to see a doctor), I take one an hour before and don't face my regular symptoms. I find this medication helpful, but I don't think it's a complete answer to my problems. I may need to look at more long term options in the future, but this medication has helped me get through an intensely difficult time. I have not had any negative side effects when taking this medication.”

Just me · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2019

“Persevering with propanolol for my anxiety as it does make me feel calmer during the day. However it keeps me up at night and causes my chest to feel tight with shortness of breath, very bad dreams and pounding heart which makes me panic. Not good! I also had all the general side effects including feeling very woozy and faint. These have since pretty much stopped so am hoping the night time stuff will too. I'm giving it 1 more month .”

SteveWasHere · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

“I have anxiety and it gets really bad when I’m in social situations such as going to the market, dinner with friends, etc. Having been prescribed propranolol, I’ve found that 40-60mg is very helpful. It keeps me calm. I have much less tension around my jaw and less tension inside. I also appear much more calm when in such situations. I use the liquid form of propranolol.”

Bill December 15, 2019

“I hate presenting and my voice cracks and my heart beats very quickly while doing so. With this drug propranolol I still feel nervous but the symptoms of nervousness aren’t there (no fast heart beat, no voice cracking, no body shaking, etc.). I do notice though I sweat like crazy when I take this but my thinking is more smooth and not all over the place. For example I feel I think more clearly under pressure with this. I also get upset stomach after taking this. Overall propranolol is very good.”

Msm1993 · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

“I have been taking this drug for 6 days now, 10mg twice a day. Today is the last day I will be taking it. It was prescribed by my psychiatrist for my anxiety and panic attacks, to help ease the physical symptoms. When we discussed it, it sounded great, but unfortunately I don’t feel that it’s helping me. Since I’ve been taking it I feel worse than I have in almost 2 years. Dizziness, weakness, no appetite, trouble sleeping, no sex drive, and my anxiety feels higher than before I started taking it. I’m not sure it’s helped the physical symptoms at all, since I’ve had multiple panic attacks since I’ve been taking it. I also felt extremely depressed for a few days shortly after I started taking Propranolol. I talked with my psychiatrist and was advised it would be safe to stop taking it, thank god because I feel awful. I’m sure it does wonders for some people, but not for me.”

Booe · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

“Just makes me more nauseous and panic more because things feel off.”

Alex · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 28, 2019

“This med puts a stop to pretty much all of the physical symptoms of my anxiety. I struggle in pretty much all social situations that I deem as a "performance" - that would be anything from ordering a pizza over the phone or buying a bus ticket to presenting to a class of 100 students. I generally get a very high heart rate and my voice begins to quiver and sound weak, I'll sweat loads and have all the other usual symptoms of anxiety. I've found Propranolol completely erases these effects. Fantastic! One thing I would mention is that you will still feel the mental effects of anxiety, e.g. worrying and fretting before the event that makes you nervous, but having these in your system can assure you that these won't manifest in to physical symptoms.”