User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Anxiety

"As with everything in life, I found that propranolol makes a significant difference to anxiety symptoms and helps me personally calm down/perform to my ability when public speaking. I work in the banking sector and experience extreme pressure and stress on occasions. It is a major game player and I would highly recommend for people that suffer and feel hindered by this awful condition. I also found my confidence significantly improved. However occasionally after use I do feel worn out, tired and emotionless. Also I can get headaches and chest pain Therefore I would suggest to only use when you really need to and under extreme pressure. It will make a significant difference for you."

C (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2018

"I started taking propranolol 10mg last week. For the last 10 years I've been suffering from anxiety and depression but never asked for help as I didn't want it getting noted on my file. I was put on propranolol 10mg for my anxiety which I thought would never go away - the overthinking the racing heart etc. Well this tablet was a life saver (literally). My confidence has came back, I don't get anxious anymore, it really is a miracle drug. I am going continue to take this twice a day 10mg in the morning and 10mg at 17.00pm. I would rate this medication 10 stars but it makes you tired throughout the day which sucks. Anyone with anxeity should 100% try this its amazing."

Getting back to myself. (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2018

"This drug is amazing. I don't have any real anxiety disorders but I used to be horrible in presentations. I used to shake so much and have a flushed face and people used to tell me that they felt I was crying while presenting ! But then I got introduced to propranolol. I take 10-20mg an hour before a presentation. You still get nervous you feel your heart beating and even people can see you're a bit nervous so at least you don't look like a drugged robot. However you don't get the shakiness anymore, no more redness, and you talk with confidence. For me so far I have used it like 4 times in two years and I never saw any side effects - maybe it depends on the person and their blood pressure whether u will have side effects or not. I do highly recommend this drug but do not recommend taking more than 40 mg for presentation purposes and always take it after a meal."

Ninny (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2018

"I don't recommend this to anyone who has low blood pressure. Mine is very low and my doctor was hesitant to give me propranolol but eventually agreed to let me try it. I was told to only take it for performance anxiety or on days when my anxiety is particularly bad, but the few times I have taken it I have experienced awful side effects. Within 45 minutes of taking the pill I begin to sweat profusely, I can feel that my heart rate has slowed down but the beats start to feel irregular and I get chest and stomach pains. A few hours after taking the pill I feel so weak and light-headed I can barely form sentences or walk, and I feel disorientated and confused. So if you have low blood pressure or low iron levels like I do, I strongly advise you try something else!"

Chloe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

"After 14 years of battling with horrendous physical anxiety, social, work etc, which consisted of my neck and face being brought to hot blood red from this and me looking like a complete idiot (as if there’s something wrong with me) I made an appointment at the doctors.... I was prescribed 40mg 3 times a day, ALL that anxiety and redness in my neck and face has gone, my cheeks are actually cool, I feel calm, finally! After all the comments from others about my appearance, running away from social situations, and declining invitations for social events etc, it’s as if it is over, I have only been taking a couple of days but worked instantly, let’s pray this carries on. For anybody else in my previous situation I recommend a strong daily dose of this!"

Blake (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

"I have generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder and panic attack disorder. I'm on 20 mg Lexapro, 200mg amitriptyline and 1-3 mg Clonazepam a day. When I get bad heart palpitations and/or angina (chest pain) from anxiety I take propranolol 40-120mg. Usually 40-80mg takes care of those heart symptoms but doesn't help any other anxiety symptoms. Just angina and fast heart beat."

Yusha (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 12, 2018

"Hi I just felt the need to share my experience as a lot of people will be in my position. I'm a normally very confident lad, I work in a restaurant so I regularly communicate with people I don't know without issues, I do however fall to pieces when in a presentation situation, exam or interview where anxiety seems to set in, I get shakey and my mind can go completely blank. I looked online for a possible cure for this when I came across propranolol, I ordered some online via an online UK med store and tested them out today before my apprenticeship test, I honestly can't believe how well they worked, I was talkative and could think throughout the test, an absolute great and staple for hard situations from now on!"

Pedro April 7, 2018

"I recently was put on this medication after being on 40mg for a week with zero effect they upped the dose to 80mg once a day still no change at all except being more tired and not being able to concentrate. Going to stick with it though will post another update soon"

Itsatrap (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

"I've been on Xanax for the last 3 years following a bout with Seratonin Syndrome due to taking St. Johns Wart. I've tried Paxil, Celexa and Trazodone which landed me in the hospital with tachycardia, and feeling much worse than when I started. My doctor weaned me off all meds and has had me on Xanax for anxiety (which I didn't have before the Seratonin Syndrome) and I still have anxiety on a daily basis, along with rapid heart rate. I started seeing a new doctor recently and she suggested Propranolol for my heart and said it would also help my anxiety. After much debate I decided I had to try something, especially since I now refuse to take any kind of SSRI'S. So, I asked for the lowest dose, 10mg twice a day, started with 5mg at first and I'm still working my way up. I've been on this medication for a week now and I feel so much more calm, my heart rate is now in the 80's opposed to the 120's and I don't feel the need to take as much Xanax as before. Glad I gave this drug a try!"

Aconley1980 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"Been taking propranolol for about two weeks or so first does was 40mg twice a day first 6 days were fine the 7th day I was lying on the bed and it felt as if my head didn’t work like it was switched off. Went back to the doctors who lowered it 10mg and still I feel the same "

Claire (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"I have had great results with this medication. It does not make me tired like lorazepam or other anxiety medications used on an as needed bases. Everyone will have a different response to this medication, but its worth talking to your healthcare provider about."

Mj (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2018

"I would not advise to take propanol for anxiety. It made me have bad blood circulation pains in legs, paranoid, cold hands, cold feet, very tired. Just take anxiety tablets instead."

Marie March 12, 2018

"Only been on this medication for one week and already feel a lot more calm, taking for anxiety, manic bouts of anger/frustration and overthinking. Feel so much calmer already and certain situations that would usually provoke my anger I don’t even feel bothered about. Only downside is when I took the 2 pills a day I had really bad insomnia so have lessened the dosage to 1 pill."

Louise (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"I take 10mg 3 times a day and it does nothing for me. It hasn’t helped with the anxiety attacks at all. I feel like I might as well not take them at all as I can’t tell the difference"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

"I was feeling from the adverse effects from stopping Valium after 10 years. Propranolol helps me to just feel myself normal again. It is amazing because I can now feel and think without the side effects of ceasing Valium. I take 40mg four times a day... Great medicine and without tolerance and addiction."

Trevor Monaghan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2018

"Immediately after my neurologist raised my propranolol I felt my anxiety go down significantly."

KathyHurley12345678980 February 18, 2018

"Was prescribed 10mg propranolol after sudden onset intermittent supraventricular tachycardia, borderline ventricular tachycardia, due to PTSD. Have taken many SSRIs and SNRIs with horrible side effects or received no results. My doctor thought this would be a good next step. Well... not so much. Took my first dose and within 45 minutes started feeling dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous. Nausea progressed to the point of vomiting and dry heaving for 4 hours until I could keep Zofran down. Also it made my blood pressure bottom out to 86/58 [clinically hypotensive], normal BP 110/70. Due to IBS I'm more prone to GI side effects but never experienced anything do severe. Doctor told me to immediately discontinue and prescribed Atenolol to replace it. We shall see how that goes."

EMT 911 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018

"This has to be the worst tablet I've ever taken so many side affects just not suitable for me started on 80mg a day 1st day blurred vision increased anxiety heart beats irregular paranoia. It made my life hell for 13 months in the end decided to wean off it and I am now on 10 mg twice a day and feel like my old self the next couple of weeks I'll be completely off it and never again will I go on this drug"

Pat365 January 25, 2018

"Tried xanax serotonin uptake inhibitors and did not help me with my panic attacks and anxiety. Only propranolol helped me and i was relieved from symptoms of constant tachycardia and palpitations.. best medicine ever."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2018

"Was very tense with anxiety and panic attacks using propranolol 10mg x times a day. Amazing drug helped me a lot. Hats off to the guy who developed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

"I've been taking propranolol for almost 4 years (since the age of 16) for performance anxiety. It has changed my life in unimaginable ways. I've won prizes for public speaking and attend a top university after passing a stressful interview. I feel completely in control and never worry about my anxiety now. This medication is non-addictive, isn't a psychotropic drug and gives me no side effects. It's wonderful and has increased my confidence immeasurably. I have now tapered down my dose to around 10mg before a moderately nerve-wracking situation; I'd take more if it was more severe. I can't recommend this enough!"

ant00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2017

"I was prescribed this drug for performance anxiety and I have been extremely pleased. I take it an hour before a presentation or important meeting and it completely helps me function and perform normally. I’m still nervous, but it’s not debilitating and the symptoms like rapid heart beat, shaky voice, shaky hands, and flushed face are GONE. The doctor that prescribed this made a great point, he said “this won’t take away all of your nerves but you never want to lose that completely anyway. A healthy level of nervousness keeps you sharp, and the day you lose all nerve, it’s over.”"

AdmHnry (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2017

"This drug is great for calming you down I've been on 40mg a day and the side affects are horrendous trying to wean myself off them 1st day I took it I had blurred vision I've had aching in my left arm since I started taking it feel worse the only good thing is it calms you down but the side affects are not worth it"

Jackie5365 November 21, 2017

"Difficult to rate this drug as initially it had a dramatic positive effect - if I took enough, 40 to 120 mg. Or more (I only used it when required i.e. when anxiety/panic/feelings of paranoia became a problem.) But after some years of this occasional use the drug has become completely non-effective. Reading new packet inserts, I note that propranolol is no longer described as a treatment for anxiety. So has the formula been changed? At my last visit to a doctor I was told that nothing much else was available to prescribe aside from citilapram, propranolol ...and he prescribed 2 mg diazepam, which astonished me. I stopped using that (in higher dose) years ago, and don't see it as any sort of answer. I intend to see another doctor."

Calenture (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2017

"Just found out after 4 months of using this drug 40mg a day for anxiety that it can cause HEART FAILURE in otherwise healthy adults. In low dose this drug will definitely stop the pounding heart beat but I notice if I have a panic attack my heart still races. I'm sure if you took 80mg a day that wouldn't be a problem though. Shortness of breath too after taking, I'd strongly advise against this drug. Find something else."

mr.anxious (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2017