User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Anxiety

"I have generalized anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder and panic attack disorder. I'm on 20 mg Lexapro, 200mg amitriptyline and 1-3 mg Clonazepam a day. When I get bad heart palpitations and/or angina (chest pain) from anxiety I take propranolol 40-120mg. Usually 40-80mg takes care of those heart symptoms but doesn't help any other anxiety symptoms. Just angina and fast heart beat."

Yusha (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 12, 2018

"Hi I just felt the need to share my experience as a lot of people will be in my position. I'm a normally very confident lad, I work in a restaurant so I regularly communicate with people I don't know without issues, I do however fall to pieces when in a presentation situation, exam or interview where anxiety seems to set in, I get shakey and my mind can go completely blank. I looked online for a possible cure for this when I came across propranolol, I ordered some online via an online UK med store and tested them out today before my apprenticeship test, I honestly can't believe how well they worked, I was talkative and could think throughout the test, an absolute great and staple for hard situations from now on!"

Pedro April 7, 2018

"I recently was put on this medication after being on 40mg for a week with zero effect they upped the dose to 80mg once a day still no change at all except being more tired and not being able to concentrate. Going to stick with it though will post another update soon"

Itsatrap (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

"I've been on Xanax for the last 3 years following a bout with Seratonin Syndrome due to taking St. Johns Wart. I've tried Paxil, Celexa and Trazodone which landed me in the hospital with tachycardia, and feeling much worse than when I started. My doctor weaned me off all meds and has had me on Xanax for anxiety (which I didn't have before the Seratonin Syndrome) and I still have anxiety on a daily basis, along with rapid heart rate. I started seeing a new doctor recently and she suggested Propranolol for my heart and said it would also help my anxiety. After much debate I decided I had to try something, especially since I now refuse to take any kind of SSRI'S. So, I asked for the lowest dose, 10mg twice a day, started with 5mg at first and I'm still working my way up. I've been on this medication for a week now and I feel so much more calm, my heart rate is now in the 80's opposed to the 120's and I don't feel the need to take as much Xanax as before. Glad I gave this drug a try!"

Aconley1980 (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"Been taking propranolol for about two weeks or so first does was 40mg twice a day first 6 days were fine the 7th day I was lying on the bed and it felt as if my head didn’t work like it was switched off. Went back to the doctors who lowered it 10mg and still I feel the same "

Claire (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"I have had great results with this medication. It does not make me tired like lorazepam or other anxiety medications used on an as needed bases. Everyone will have a different response to this medication, but its worth talking to your healthcare provider about."

Mj (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2018

"I would not advise to take propanol for anxiety. It made me have bad blood circulation pains in legs, paranoid, cold hands, cold feet, very tired. Just take anxiety tablets instead."

Marie March 12, 2018

"Only been on this medication for one week and already feel a lot more calm, taking for anxiety, manic bouts of anger/frustration and overthinking. Feel so much calmer already and certain situations that would usually provoke my anger I don’t even feel bothered about. Only downside is when I took the 2 pills a day I had really bad insomnia so have lessened the dosage to 1 pill."

Louise (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"I take 10mg 3 times a day and it does nothing for me. It hasn’t helped with the anxiety attacks at all. I feel like I might as well not take them at all as I can’t tell the difference"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

"I was feeling from the adverse effects from stopping Valium after 10 years. Propranolol helps me to just feel myself normal again. It is amazing because I can now feel and think without the side effects of ceasing Valium. I take 40mg four times a day... Great medicine and without tolerance and addiction."

Trevor Monaghan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2018

"Immediately after my neurologist raised my propranolol I felt my anxiety go down significantly."

KathyHurley12345678980 February 18, 2018

"Was prescribed 10mg propranolol after sudden onset intermittent supraventricular tachycardia, borderline ventricular tachycardia, due to PTSD. Have taken many SSRIs and SNRIs with horrible side effects or received no results. My doctor thought this would be a good next step. Well... not so much. Took my first dose and within 45 minutes started feeling dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous. Nausea progressed to the point of vomiting and dry heaving for 4 hours until I could keep Zofran down. Also it made my blood pressure bottom out to 86/58 [clinically hypotensive], normal BP 110/70. Due to IBS I'm more prone to GI side effects but never experienced anything do severe. Doctor told me to immediately discontinue and prescribed Atenolol to replace it. We shall see how that goes."

EMT 911 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018

"This has to be the worst tablet I've ever taken so many side affects just not suitable for me started on 80mg a day 1st day blurred vision increased anxiety heart beats irregular paranoia. It made my life hell for 13 months in the end decided to wean off it and I am now on 10 mg twice a day and feel like my old self the next couple of weeks I'll be completely off it and never again will I go on this drug"

Pat365 January 25, 2018

"Tried xanax serotonin uptake inhibitors and did not help me with my panic attacks and anxiety. Only propranolol helped me and i was relieved from symptoms of constant tachycardia and palpitations.. best medicine ever."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2018

"Was very tense with anxiety and panic attacks using propranolol 10mg x times a day. Amazing drug helped me a lot. Hats off to the guy who developed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

"I've been taking propranolol for almost 4 years (since the age of 16) for performance anxiety. It has changed my life in unimaginable ways. I've won prizes for public speaking and attend a top university after passing a stressful interview. I feel completely in control and never worry about my anxiety now. This medication is non-addictive, isn't a psychotropic drug and gives me no side effects. It's wonderful and has increased my confidence immeasurably. I have now tapered down my dose to around 10mg before a moderately nerve-wracking situation; I'd take more if it was more severe. I can't recommend this enough!"

ant00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2017

"I was prescribed this drug for performance anxiety and I have been extremely pleased. I take it an hour before a presentation or important meeting and it completely helps me function and perform normally. I’m still nervous, but it’s not debilitating and the symptoms like rapid heart beat, shaky voice, shaky hands, and flushed face are GONE. The doctor that prescribed this made a great point, he said “this won’t take away all of your nerves but you never want to lose that completely anyway. A healthy level of nervousness keeps you sharp, and the day you lose all nerve, it’s over.”"

AdmHnry (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2017

"This drug is great for calming you down I've been on 40mg a day and the side affects are horrendous trying to wean myself off them 1st day I took it I had blurred vision I've had aching in my left arm since I started taking it feel worse the only good thing is it calms you down but the side affects are not worth it"

Jackie5365 November 21, 2017

"Difficult to rate this drug as initially it had a dramatic positive effect - if I took enough, 40 to 120 mg. Or more (I only used it when required i.e. when anxiety/panic/feelings of paranoia became a problem.) But after some years of this occasional use the drug has become completely non-effective. Reading new packet inserts, I note that propranolol is no longer described as a treatment for anxiety. So has the formula been changed? At my last visit to a doctor I was told that nothing much else was available to prescribe aside from citilapram, propranolol ...and he prescribed 2 mg diazepam, which astonished me. I stopped using that (in higher dose) years ago, and don't see it as any sort of answer. I intend to see another doctor."

Calenture (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2017

"Just found out after 4 months of using this drug 40mg a day for anxiety that it can cause HEART FAILURE in otherwise healthy adults. In low dose this drug will definitely stop the pounding heart beat but I notice if I have a panic attack my heart still races. I'm sure if you took 80mg a day that wouldn't be a problem though. Shortness of breath too after taking, I'd strongly advise against this drug. Find something else."

mr.anxious (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2017

"I suffer from severe panic attacks, OCD tendencies, and crippling anxiety. This is the only med that works for me. It's absolutely amazing. I'm severely allergic to antidepressants (anaphylaxis) so this was my only option along with Ativan if needed. Most of the time the propranolol is enough and I don't need anything else. I take 10mg twice a day, when my panic was severe I took 60mg slow release tablets. Absolutely 0 side effects. This drug is a god send for me. CBT therapy helped me cope mentally with my anxiety and the propranolol takes away all my physical symptoms of anxiety. Amazing drug, saved my life... if you have anxiety give it a chance I'm telling you it's so worth it"

Itllbeok (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2017

"Went through a tough time at work which was causing severe anxiety. Called the Dr who prescribed this drug. Initially felt drowsy and a bit spaced out (this only lasted a day so maybe take in to account when you first start using) Effects are fantastic! Slowed everything down enough to get clarity of thought, speech & actions without imparing cognitive or physical function. Less reactive & less snappy! Wish I'd known about it earlier. It won't make issues go away or solve them but it will help take a logical clear view of the situation and hopefully make better decisions."

Hope this helps (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2017

"WOW I've just come home after delivering my big presentation to over 100 people. It was incredible. No panic, no shaking voice, no crazy beating heart, just calm.... I'm blown away.. normally I can't even talk to over 3 people. Didn't realise how much social anxiety had limited my life until trying this medication- I feel like I can finally be me. Sadly It was only prescribed as a one off from my GP to help with this event, she said I'll need to try counselling in future."

AlexandraBelle19 (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

"So after years on atenolol and walking round like a zombie sleeping constantly I finally got someone to listen to all my ailments and realise they are all connected to taking 100mg a day of this drug "

Fcukup (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

"I was apprehensive to take this. My heart was beating out of my chest, I was weak, hot flashes...weird stuff. I have been on 10 mg a day now for a month and I am starting to feel like my old self. I have been exercising more and seeing a therapist also, but I think this drug made me functional again. It has been a lifesaver."

Ladybug1913 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017