User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Anxiety

"Tried xanax serotonin uptake inhibitors and did not help me with my panic attacks and anxiety. Only propranolol helped me and i was relieved from symptoms of constant tachycardia and palpitations.. best medicine ever."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2018

"Was very tense with anxiety and panic attacks using propranolol 10mg x times a day. Amazing drug helped me a lot. Hats off to the guy who developed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

"I've been taking propranolol for almost 4 years (since the age of 16) for performance anxiety. It has changed my life in unimaginable ways. I've won prizes for public speaking and attend a top university after passing a stressful interview. I feel completely in control and never worry about my anxiety now. This medication is non-addictive, isn't a psychotropic drug and gives me no side effects. It's wonderful and has increased my confidence immeasurably. I have now tapered down my dose to around 10mg before a moderately nerve-wracking situation; I'd take more if it was more severe. I can't recommend this enough!"

ant00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2017

"I was prescribed this drug for performance anxiety and I have been extremely pleased. I take it an hour before a presentation or important meeting and it completely helps me function and perform normally. I’m still nervous, but it’s not debilitating and the symptoms like rapid heart beat, shaky voice, shaky hands, and flushed face are GONE. The doctor that prescribed this made a great point, he said “this won’t take away all of your nerves but you never want to lose that completely anyway. A healthy level of nervousness keeps you sharp, and the day you lose all nerve, it’s over.”"

AdmHnry (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2017

"This drug is great for calming you down I've been on 40mg a day and the side affects are horrendous trying to wean myself off them 1st day I took it I had blurred vision I've had aching in my left arm since I started taking it feel worse the only good thing is it calms you down but the side affects are not worth it"

Jackie5365 November 21, 2017

"Difficult to rate this drug as initially it had a dramatic positive effect - if I took enough, 40 to 120 mg. Or more (I only used it when required i.e. when anxiety/panic/feelings of paranoia became a problem.) But after some years of this occasional use the drug has become completely non-effective. Reading new packet inserts, I note that propranolol is no longer described as a treatment for anxiety. So has the formula been changed? At my last visit to a doctor I was told that nothing much else was available to prescribe aside from citilapram, propranolol ...and he prescribed 2 mg diazepam, which astonished me. I stopped using that (in higher dose) years ago, and don't see it as any sort of answer. I intend to see another doctor."

Calenture (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2017

"Just found out after 4 months of using this drug 40mg a day for anxiety that it can cause HEART FAILURE in otherwise healthy adults. In low dose this drug will definitely stop the pounding heart beat but I notice if I have a panic attack my heart still races. I'm sure if you took 80mg a day that wouldn't be a problem though. Shortness of breath too after taking, I'd strongly advise against this drug. Find something else."

mr.anxious (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2017

"I suffer from severe panic attacks, OCD tendencies, and crippling anxiety. This is the only med that works for me. It's absolutely amazing. I'm severely allergic to antidepressants (anaphylaxis) so this was my only option along with Ativan if needed. Most of the time the propranolol is enough and I don't need anything else. I take 10mg twice a day, when my panic was severe I took 60mg slow release tablets. Absolutely 0 side effects. This drug is a god send for me. CBT therapy helped me cope mentally with my anxiety and the propranolol takes away all my physical symptoms of anxiety. Amazing drug, saved my life... if you have anxiety give it a chance I'm telling you it's so worth it"

Itllbeok (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2017

"Went through a tough time at work which was causing severe anxiety. Called the Dr who prescribed this drug. Initially felt drowsy and a bit spaced out (this only lasted a day so maybe take in to account when you first start using) Effects are fantastic! Slowed everything down enough to get clarity of thought, speech & actions without imparing cognitive or physical function. Less reactive & less snappy! Wish I'd known about it earlier. It won't make issues go away or solve them but it will help take a logical clear view of the situation and hopefully make better decisions."

Hope this helps (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2017

"WOW I've just come home after delivering my big presentation to over 100 people. It was incredible. No panic, no shaking voice, no crazy beating heart, just calm.... I'm blown away.. normally I can't even talk to over 3 people. Didn't realise how much social anxiety had limited my life until trying this medication- I feel like I can finally be me. Sadly It was only prescribed as a one off from my GP to help with this event, she said I'll need to try counselling in future."

AlexandraBelle19 (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

"So after years on atenolol and walking round like a zombie sleeping constantly I finally got someone to listen to all my ailments and realise they are all connected to taking 100mg a day of this drug "

Fcukup (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

"I was apprehensive to take this. My heart was beating out of my chest, I was weak, hot flashes...weird stuff. I have been on 10 mg a day now for a month and I am starting to feel like my old self. I have been exercising more and seeing a therapist also, but I think this drug made me functional again. It has been a lifesaver."

Ladybug1913 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

"Propranolol worked for my anxiety but it also lowered my blood pressure too much which I ended up in the hospital. So when you see your doctor make sure you get the lowest dose at first."

ECane (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

"2 years ago I started to experience internal tremors, with that came the feeling I couldn't inhale enough air into my body to breath, my leg muscles would twitch, and achy arm and leg muscles. Bedtimes where horrendous, I could feel my pulse/heartbeat in every inch of my body, as I fell asleep (when I did) my body would jerk me awake again, I became easily startled even with familiar noises, so I went to the doctor who said I was suffering from anxiety, citralopram was prescribed and after 6 weeks I felt better, I took it for 5 months and then was weaned off, 3 days ago after 4 months with no symptoms, all the feelings are back, prescribed propranolol 10mg 3 x daily, quick acting, it's early days but fingers crossed,"

Secretminstrell (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

"what gives you that anxiety feeling is you being like OMG then your mind tells your body to release adrenaline. The adrenaline is that stressed out feeling. The propranolol stops you adrenal gland from producing adrenaline. This fixed the anxiety. The facts not opinions"

Stops Anxiety Adrenaline (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

"I used to shake, get nauseous, dry mouthed, and blush terribly when I had to give presentations. This medication got me through college. Eventually, I didn't need them anymore for presentations. Still take one before an interview though! Doesn't cure nervousness, but removes the symptoms! Love it!"

Sarah M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 9, 2017

"I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder which I knew I had but never treated as I was skeptical ... Using propranolol on 10mg 2 times a day or 20 mg at night never more ...it was ok for a short time and worked instantly but symptoms returned 3 x worse than ever .. I don't take anything now and try not to rely to much on medication Anxiety never leaves me I'm shaking now with nerves Thanks but I wont take them again"

Mell82 June 30, 2017

"I have to say after my major anxiety attack my Doc put me on propranolol 50mg and sertraline 50 mg but neither did enough and I was experiencing severe body shakes and feel like I have a lump in my throat constantly making me retch all the time. This was now 4 months ago now doctor has upped both my Meds 100mg sertraline and 160 mg propranolol per day they are dosing me up but swallowing problem still a major issue"

dee79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

"After years and yrs of chronic anxiety having tried citalopram & diazepam and still I was having major bad all day long anxiety I finally give in to the propranolol (I was on this years ago but I didn't like it) all I can say is its absolutely amazing....I'm only needing between 10 & 20mg a day and honestly it's a life saver. I am the women who couldn't even take her kids to school without someone being with me and now I'm off and I don't panic about every situation anymore!! Try it...it's fab xx"

Katyfinley2017 June 20, 2017

"Amazing!!! Only 20 mg took away all fight or flight symptoms during presentations. I couldn't be more happy with this drug, I highly recommend!!"

Isabelle124 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

"This medication is a incredible for relieving physical symptoms. I went through years of struggling with various other medications and it was only recently a younger doctor said okay let's try this. Now I gave this a 10/10 for a reason but when I first started taking it (the 1st night) I felt high. The next day I had an incredibly low mood and sub-degree freezing temperatures which lasted 2 days before I went back to a doctor who said they are well known transient side effects that will go away after 2 weeks so I stuck it out and after a week and a half I felt so much better - my severe hand tremor went away, facial ticking reduced and my body stopped constantly pumping adrenaline! Note: I use in conjunction with mirtazapine."

Lucyboots (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

"This is only my 2nd day of taking this wonderful drug.. I've had horrendous anxiety. I've been taking Xanax but it never has given me the immediate relief this medication has. Right now I'm on 20mg once a day.. The Dr said we can increase after we see if it works. I would love to be able to get off the Xanax all together and just take this. I don't feel jittery, my hands don't shake and I feel an inner calmness.. I've been taking it at night when I go to bed. For the first time in I don't know how long I was able to sleep 6 hrs straight. Usually it's only 3-4 and that's with the help if a sleeping pill.. So going to give it a little while longer and ask for an increase in this medication and to be weaned off of the Xanax."

Linda T-P May 13, 2017

"Years of anxiety GAD and depression countless pills and potions this one was prescribed for twice a day or as and whenever I need. This is only week two and the difference is greatly visible my sleep patterns improved my appetite also better I feel less shaky and wound up and have coped better on situations which would have stressed me before. All though it is early days I really think this is the medication for me for now it is doing exactly what it is supposed to and would recommend it if allowed for someone else in my situation :)"

Wendazzle May 11, 2017

"I've just been prescribed these today and Im feeling a little better already I've recently come out of a 6 year relationship not by my choice and I've been really down and having panic attacks which is no good when trying to look after a three year old but I'm feeling a lot less tense and my minds not on overdrive like usual"

Charwesty94 May 10, 2017