User Reviews for Depakote to treat Epilepsy

Depakote Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 194 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Depakote

Ep July 25, 2020

“Due to seizures I’ve been on different meds starting with Carbamazepine/Tegretol for 25yrs then a neurologist switched me to Keppra and Depakote. My question is to all who have taken these meds... have you ever been diagnosed with High Blood Pressure because of these meds.”

Bluewater June 30, 2020

“Been on Valproic Acid for 30 yrs. No seizures. Wouldn't go off it for anything. No side effects.”

Alex · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 20, 2020

“If you want to lower your IQ 50 points take Depakote”

Jb316 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 30, 2020

“I have been taking Depakote a while now I've been seizure free for years however I feel this drug has some side effects I feel depression can't sleep most nights . I'm thinking of talking to my doctor and get off this drug honestly I don't want any drug . I wanna try to go drug free and hope for the best.”

Mr. Misdiagnosed · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

“Not sure if this drug caused me to get into a car accident triggered by a dizzy spell or not. Initially doctors thought I was having seizures at age 53. I had to consult with three neurologists before one came to the conclusion I didn’t fit the clinical context of seizures. The only credible diagnosis seemed to be adrenal insufficiency causing blackouts. I may have had an underlying undiagnosed issue but would be very cautious with this drug.”

Rosco · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2019

“I just recently started taking Depakote for seizures. I was on keppra 1000mg 2x daily I was losing a lot of weight 150 to 129. I had a seizure that caused full body paralysis. Usually only happened on the left side of body. I suffered 2 strokes then started having seizures after 1 year ago. I was diagnosed with a blood disorder that causes clots hence the strokes. Then seizures. Neurologist diagnosed me with what they call Todd's Palsy then just recently had a bad seizure with black outs and full body paralysis she also diagnosed me with FND Functional Neurological disorder brain isn't sending right signals to tell my body parts what to do. Slow slurred speech. Memory issues word searching when speaking. So we changed med to Depikote as I was losing a lot of weight. I was a week away of signing my DNR. Because how thin I was. Mind u I'm only 48yrs old.”

katiedee · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2019

“I was on depakote when i was 16 or 17 for my epilepsy it was effective for my seizures but I started having hideous dark thoughts and was worreid about my own safety this was 2 weeks after starting depakote it really freaked me out. I told my parents and my doctors and they took me off of depakote as soon as it was out of my system these thoughts went away"”

katiedee · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2019

“i was on depakote when i was 16 or 17 for my epilepsy i started having suicidal thoughts 2 weeks after starting depakote it really freaked me out. i told my parents and my doctors and they took me off of depakote as soon as it was out of my system the suicidal thoughts went away”

Philrx · Taken for 10 years or more August 13, 2019

“I have been taking 1 Depakote 500mg ER Brand tablet daily for 28 years (I am 40). Used to treat Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. This medication has been a tremendous blessing for me as it has controlled my seizures for the last 26 years. I’ve had no side effects but I will mention that I was very active as a child playing sports and continued to spend many hours a week lifting and exercising all through HS and college. I continue to exercise at least 3 days a week. I mention my exercise habits for a reason. I have noticed through the times when we had our children and I wasn’t getting good sleep and not able to exercise as much that I began to notice some possible side effects related to the medication( slight tremors, lethargy, remembering names) when I started back exercising all the side effects went away. I am a practicing pharmacist and married with 2 healthy children. I realize that my story may be somewhat unique but I decided to share to give another long term patient experience.”

joe · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 24, 2019

“Depakote causes extreme tremors and weight gain. The first week I got off the med I lost 20 pounds.”

Joey245 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 4, 2018

“Makes me so drowsy all the time. I'm on 1000mg a day. Gained 40 pounds. Affects my work and grad school. Slows down my brain and gives me anxiety. Icing on the cake is I’m balding now at age 24”

Lisa April 18, 2018

“I have been epileptic since birth. I have been on Depakote ER for over 20 years. I am now on 2500 mg a day(1000mg in the am and 1500 in the pm) for nearly a year at this dose. Thought there was just something wrong me not meaning my epilepsy meds or my epilepsy. I was reading all the comments here and I am definitely going to speak with my neurologist about taking me off my Depakote ER and possibly put a different epilepsy medicine. I was reading through here and many side effects others was or is having with Depakote. I was like oh my goodness that is the same as me. I have much confusion, literally loosing my memory, can't concentrate or focus, migraine headaches have got so bad since I been on this medicine - I cant remember a complete week with no migraines .Everything always so hazy looking, I still have seizures back though they didn't go away the whole time of about 2 years of being on Depakote. I always feel weak and drained, tired all the time ,I switch back and forth from sleepin gway to much to being tired but not able to sleep at all.”

Mary R · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 18, 2018

“Take 500 mg daily of Depakote. I have taken other epilepsy medications in the past that never caused symptoms quite like Depakote. Memory loss, tiredness, depression, if I forget to take it boom aura then seizure. Or a lot of times a bit after taking it boom severe auras. My doctor however still thinks this medication is the best fit for me. I don't think so. Absolutely hate the side effects of this medication.”

J A J July 24, 2017

“I used to have a wonderful smart son. About 12 years ago, I noticed changes starting to take affect in his life. He was becoming agitated, he was loosing his memory, he had no energy. I was told this was due to his having so many seizures. I just this week, after having a really bad week a few weeks ago, the doctor decided to take him off of this medication in a hospital controlled setting. After one day of not taking this medication, I am starting to see the personality of my son come back. He had gotten to the point that he made terrible decisions, he was depressed often, he was confused and was loosing his memory and his ability to talk and remember words. I'm sorry, but the benefits of controlling seizures was not worth this.”

Heroncrest July 14, 2017

“Have taken this med for 28+ years with no seizures during this time. I have experienced no side effects except that my hair has become very curly. Lots of compliments! No down side. I am seizure free. No other med has worked for me.”

Annloss1970 November 23, 2016

“It was bad. It made me gain weight. It made me have tremors ,which will never completely go away now.I couldn't hold plates or hold cups without shaking. My head started shaking. My new Neurologist took me off of them. I was on them for over 20 yrs. I would strongly think about other meds before taking this one considering the side affect can't go away immediately or not at all .”

Shan 22 July 21, 2016

“I have nothing good to say about this drug, zero. After doing some reading, it said that depakote normally is recommended in doses up to 1000 mg a day. I was taking 3000 mg a day for 20 years. My whole life was turned upside down by it. It affected my life in so many ways. First of all, at the dose I was taking, it had so many negative side effects, it was amazing I made it through college and graduated. The side effects at the dose I was taking were very severe. The side effects were depression, weight gain, foot drop, stuttering, tremor, and kept you in a constant haze. I had all these exponentially worse than people who take smaller doses. This was the worst drug imaginable and should be banned by the FDA.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2016

“This medicine took 3 weeks to fully kick in. I had the side effect of increased appetite, but I haven't gained any weight because I eat a low carb diet and workout 4 times a week. I do not have any side effects anymore and this mostly controls my temporal lobe epilepsy.”

Wildreign · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 4, 2016

“I currently take Zonegran --I love love love it!!!--- Prior to this I took Depakote--for me this drug sucked-- I was lethargic, my hair fell out in clumps I went from weighing 225lbs to 389lbs and I developed Sleep apnea. I was taking 500 mg of Depakote four times per day---2000mg of this stuff-- I had several seizures in my sleep one where I fractured my ankle on the bed frame. The weight was the worst I could not control it. I wish I could submit a picture of myself while being on this stuff. After I got off this drug I lost 160lbs. My dad saw the b4 pic and didn't know who I was. Maybe this works for some, but not for me I would never take this again!!!”

Katie Cl October 15, 2015

“Be careful. My experience put me in the emergency room BUT my friend takes it and has had a fantastic experience. every person can have a different reaction, know the risks and definitely do a lot of research.”

Nick351 · Taken for 10 years or more September 30, 2015

“Before I came to the US I was taking other medications for epilepsy but upon dealing with a US doctor he recommended 2000 mg of Depakote daily. I immediately went to the library and checked the side effects, which were considerable. I asked the doctor if I could take a smaller dose but he didn't think it wise. I decided to take matters into my own hands and reduce my dosage. I have been taking 250 mg now for 35 years with no seizures. Early on I found that when I took long flights to Asia and missed sleep and became dehydrated I would increase my dosage and then when I came back home I would slowly lower it again. I don't believe I am suffering from any side effects of this drug.”

APelicano September 20, 2015

“I was on Depakote for 1 year following 3 Grand Mal seizures that had been brought on by starting fluoxetine. Fluoxetine, and most SSRIs, carry the risk of seizures. They hit me hard and without warning, so I was on Depakote for a year after the final seizure and after stopping fluoxetine. It does what it is supposed to do. I had no more seizures; however, I gained over 20 lbs quickly. The weight came back off once I was off the Depakote, but you will most likely put on weight with this medication.”

James McKee · Taken for 10 years or more July 24, 2015

“Can't afford to take it. Its working I've been free of seizure for a long time ”

perky1983 · Taken for 10 years or more June 13, 2015

“I gave this drug a 4 because of what it did to me, and what they didn't mention at the time, also because what it did to a friend of mines daughter, as far as a seizure drug and mood stabilizer a perfect drug. controls most seizure in people. But I was on this drug for over 10 years . No one said it could affect my bone density at the time. At 29 I got diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am not happy. I have multiple back issues now and spinal fractures. They did not heal correctly and I am in constant pain. I have to be on at least 3000mg Vitamin d3 for life. My friend is older and her daughter was born with brain abnormalities”

Happygurl · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 4, 2015

“Hi, I'm 24 years old and I've been epileptic for about 12 years. I've seen my fair share of doctors and I was either too medicated or ignored, so remember, the doctor isn't always right. I recently found my current doctor about 3 years ago and she has gone above and beyond for me. I am currently seizure free and can drive. I currently take 1000mg Depakote ER a day 200 mg of Topamax a day to balance out the weight gain. I do have a slight problem with my hair, it won't grow, but that's okay.”

Learn more about Epilepsy

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)