How to switch from Abilify Maintena to Aristada?
Medically reviewed by N. France, BPharm. Last updated on Nov 25, 2020.
Aristada contains aripiprazole lauroxil - a prodrug of aripiprazole - which is the active ingredient in Abilify Maintena. When patients take Aristada, aripiprazole lauroxil is converted to aripiprazole by the body.
Abilify Maintena and Aristada are extended release (depot) injections that are administered by a healthcare professional into the patient’s deltoid or gluteal muscle.
Switching from Abilify Maintena to Aristada
The recommended starting and maintenance dose of Abilify Maintena is 400mg a month. It takes four doses to reach steady state concentrations of the drug - for the amount of the drug being absorbed to match the amount being cleared from the body.
Patients stabilized on Abilify Maintena 400 mg a month who have reached steady state concentrations can be switched to Aristada 882 mg four weeks after their last Abilify Maintena 400 mg intramuscular injection.
Why switch from Abilify Maintena to Aristada?
Although they both contain aripiprazole, sometimes people will need to switch from Abilify Maintena to Aristada because of:
- Insurance plan coverage
- Needing a long acting injectable medication. Abilify Maintena is administered monthly, but Aristada can be administered monthly, every six weeks or every two months.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Abilify Maintena. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/202971s013lbl.pdf. [Accessed November 26, 2020].
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Aristada. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/207533s017,209830s005lbl.pdf. [Accessed November 26, 2020].
- Raedler LA. Aripiprazole Lauroxil (Aristada): Long-Acting Atypical Antipsychotic Injection Approved for the Treatment of Patients with Schizophrenia. Am Health Drug Benefits. 2016;9(Spec Feature):40-43.
- Citrome L. Aripiprazole long-acting injectable formulations for schizophrenia: aripiprazole monohydrate and aripiprazole lauroxil. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2016;9(2):169-186. doi:10.1586/17512433.2016.1121809.
- SMI Adviser. What should I consider and how do I change or switch a patient from a different long acting injectable (LAI) antipsychotic medication to Aristada? April 22, 2020. Available from: https://smiadviser.org/knowledge_post/what-should-i-consider-and-how-do-i-change-or-switch-a-patient-from-a-different-long-acting-injectable-lai-antipsychotic-medication-to-aristada. [Accessed November 26, 2020].
Related Medical Questions
- Vraylar vs Abilify - How do they compare?
- What is the difference between Abilify and Abilify Maintena?
- How often is Abilify Maintena given?
- How do you administer Abilify Maintena?
- How is the Aristada injection given?