Does Vraylar (cariprazine) cause weight gain?
Medically reviewed by N. France, BPharm. Last updated on Jan 29, 2021.
Vraylar (cariprazine), like other atypical antipsychotic drugs, can cause metabolic changes that cause weight gain.
How much weight might I gain while taking Vraylar?
- The average weight gain in patients with schizophrenia was 2.2lbs (1.0kgkg) after 6 weeks of treatment with Vraylar in clinical trials, compared with those receiving placebo who gain 0.7lbs (0.3kg). Long-term results show that the average weight gain in patients with schizophrenia was 2.6lbs (1.2kg), 3.7Ibs (1.7kg) and 5.5Ibs (2.5kg) after 12, 24 and 48 weeks of Vraylar treatment in clinical trials, respectively.
- The average weight gain in patients with bipolar depression was 1.2lbs (0.5kg) after 6 or 8 weeks of treatment with Vraylar in clinical trials, compared with those receiving placebo who lost 0.2lbs (0.1kg).
- The average weight gain in patients with bipolar mania was 1.1lbs (0.5kg) after 3 weeks of treatment with Vraylar in clinical trials, compared with those receiving placebo who gained 0.4lbs (0.2kg).
How does Vraylar compare when it comes to weight gain?
An international panel of clinicians with real-world experience of Vraylar has reported that weight gain is not a particularly problematic side effect of Vraylar. They also noted that weight gain was less of a troublesome side effect leading to treatment discontinuation with Vraylar, than it was for other antipsychotics.
How should I monitor weight gain while taking Vraylar?
It is recommended that people taking Vraylar monitor their weight when they first start taking Vraylar (at baseline) and frequently while taking the drug.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Vraylar. Highlights of Prescribing Information. [Accessed January 29, 2021]. Available online at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/204370s006lbl.pdf.
- Vraylar. Possible side effect of Vraylar. [Accessed January 29, 2021]. Available online at: https://www.vraylar.com/why-vraylar-schizophrenia.
- Vraylar. What side effects are possible when taking Vraylar. [Accessed January 29, 2021]. Available online at: https://www.vraylar.com/why-vraylar-bipolar.
- Fagiolini A, Alcalá JÁ, Aubel T, et al. Treating schizophrenia with cariprazine: from clinical research to clinical practice. Real world experiences and recommendations from an International Panel. Ann Gen Psychiatry. 2020;19:55. Published 2020 Sep 26. doi:10.1186/s12991-020-00305-3.
Related Medical Questions
- Should you take Vraylar in the morning or at night?
- Vraylar - What are some of the important warnings?
- Does caffeine affect Vraylar?
- Vraylar vs Abilify - How do they compare?
- Do Vraylar side effects go away?
- How long does it take for Vraylar (cariprazine) to work?
- Is Vraylar (cariprazine) a controlled substance?
- Does Vraylar make you sleepy?