How long does it take for Vraylar (cariprazine) to work?
Vraylar (cariprazine) takes time to work and patients often see a gradual reduction in symptoms over several weeks. Symptoms tend to continue to improve the longer the medication is taken. Some symptoms may not completely resolve however. Vraylar is an atypical antipsychotic used in the treatment of schizophrenia, the acute treatment of manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder, the treatment of depressive episodes associated with bipolar I disorder, and as an adjunctive therapy to antidepressants for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD).
How long does Vraylar take to work in patients with schizophrenia?
- Within the first 1-2 weeks hallucinations, disorganized thinking and delusions may improve.
- After 1-2 weeks patients may feel more motivated and have a greater desire to be around other people.
- After 6 weeks, patients with schizophrenia treated with Vraylar in a clinical trial saw a significant reduction in symptoms compared with patients who received placebo.
- After 8-12 weeks of taking Vraylar, patients will likely see the full benefit of the treatment they will achieve.
How long does Vraylar take to work in patients with manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder?
- After 3 weeks, patients with manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar I disorder treated with Vraylar in clinical trials saw significant reduction in symptoms compared with patients who received placebo.
How long does Vraylar take to work in patients with depressive episodes associated with bipolar I disorder (bipolar depression)?
- After 4-6 weeks, patients with schizophrenia treated with Vraylar 1.5 mg in clinical trials saw a significant reduction in symptoms compared with patients treated with placebo.
How long does Vraylar take to work in patients receiving add-on treatment for major depressive disorder?
- Patients with major depressive disorder who took Vraylar in addition to to their antidepressant experienced an improvement in their overall depression symptoms in 6-week and 8-week studies, compared to an antidepressant alone.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Vraylar. Highlights of Prescribing Information. [Accessed December 22, 2022]. Available online at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2022/204370s009lbl.pdf
- Vraylar FAQs [Accessed December 22, 2022] Available online at: https://www.vraylar.com/amdd/faqs
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). Cariprazine (Vraylar). [Accessed July 27, 2020]. Available online at: https://www.nami.org/About-Mental-Illness/Treatments/Mental-Health-Medications/Types-of-Medication/Cariprazine-(Vraylar).
- Citrome L. Cariprazine in Schizophrenia: Clinical Efficacy, Tolerability, and Place in Therapy. Adv Ther (2013) 30(2):114–26. DOI 10.1007/s12325-013-0006-7.
- Vieta E, Durgam S, Lu K, et al. Effect of cariprazine across the symptoms of mania in bipolar I disorder: Analyses of pooled data from phase II/III trials. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015 Nov;25(11):1882-91. DOI: 10.1016/j.euroneuro.2015.08.020.
- Earley WR, Burgess MV, Khan B, et al. Efficacy and safety of cariprazine in bipolar I depression: A double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 study. Bipolar Disord. 2020;22(4):372-384. doi:10.1111/bdi.12852.
- Fagiolini A, Alcalá JÁ, Aubel T, et al. Treating schizophrenia with cariprazine: from clinical research to clinical practice. Real world experiences and recommendations from an International Panel. Ann Gen Psychiatry. 2020;19:55. Published 2020 Sep 26. doi:10.1186/s12991-020-00305-3.
Related medical questions
- Should you take Vraylar in the morning or at night?
- How does Vraylar compare with Seroquel?
- Vraylar - What are some of the important warnings?
- Vraylar vs Abilify - How do they compare?
- Do Vraylar side effects go away?
- Does caffeine affect Vraylar (cariprazine)?
- Does Vraylar (cariprazine) cause weight gain?
- Is Vraylar (cariprazine) a controlled substance?
- Does Vraylar make you sleepy?
- Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?
- Why should you take aripiprazole in the morning?