Can you drink alcohol while taking Invega Sustenna?
- You should avoid the use of alcohol while being treated with Invega Sustenna (paliperidone palmitate). Combining alcohol with Invega Sustenna can increase side effects like dizziness, drowsiness, and trouble concentrating. This may also affect your ability to make decisions, think clearly, or react quickly.
- Do not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know how Invega Sustenna affects you.
- Drinking alcohol can also lead to dehydration. You should avoid becoming dehydrated while taking Invega Sustenna.
Does Invega Sustenna have drug interactions?
- Medicines that act in the brain and may cause drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, or other symptoms. These symptoms may be additive (increase) when used with Invega Sustenna.
- Alcohol use with Invega Sustenna can worsen dizziness, drowsiness, confusion and other central nervous symptoms. Do not drink alcohol while using Invega Sustenna.
- Drugs that may cause orthostatic hypotension (a form of low blood pressure that occurs when you stand up from sitting or lying down)
- Certain drugs that affect enzyme levels in your body. These drugs may lower the levels of Invega Sustenna in your body and reduce its effectiveness. Examples of drugs that may produce this effect include: carbamazepine, rifampin, or St. John's Wort.
- Levodopa and other dopamine agonists: Invega Sustenna may block (antagonize) the effect of levodopa and other dopamine agonists. Your doctor will monitor you closely if you need to combine these medicines.
You should always tell your doctor and other healthcare providers about any medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, herbal supplements and vitamins. Your health care provider can check for any drug, food or disease interactions with your medicines.
This is not a complete list of possible drug interactions with Invega Sustenna. Always discuss the potential for drug interactions with your doctor and pharmacist with each new prescription or non-prescription (OTC) medicine or supplement you use.
Learn more: List of Invega Sustenna Drug Interactions (in detail)
What is Invega Sustenna?
Invega Sustenna (paliperidone palmitate) is a prescription medicine known as an antipsychotic. It is used to treat schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder in adults. It is a long-acting medicine given by injection once a month after you receive your first two injections that are given one week apart. Your doctor will give you these injections.
Schizophrenia medications are usually needed over the long-term to control your symptoms. Your symptoms may not completely disappear, but should improve as you receive over time.
Continue this medicine as directed by your doctor. Using a long-acting injectable medicine like Invega Sustenna can help you to remain on treatment without the burden of having to remember to take a daily pill.
It’s important to stay on schedule with your Invega Sustenna injections. Go to all of your appointments so you can get your medication on time and discuss your progress with your doctor. If you must miss an appointment, contact your doctor to reschedule as soon as possible.
This is not all the information you need to know about Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for safe and effective use. Review the full Invega Sustenna information here, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Bossie CA, Sliwa JK, Ma YW, et al. Onset of efficacy and tolerability following the initiation dosing of long-acting paliperidone palmitate: post-hoc analyses of a randomized, double-blind clinical trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2011 May 10;11:79. Accessed July 1, 2021 at doi: 10.1186/1471-244X-11-79.
- Invega Sustenna [paliperidone palmitate] injection. Prescribing information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Titusville, NJ. Accessed July 1, 2021 at https://www.janssenlabels.com/package-insert/product-monograph/prescribing-information/INVEGA+SUSTENNA-pi.pdf
Related medical questions
- Invega Sustenna vs Invega Trinza vs Invega Hafyera. What's the difference?
- How to transition to Invega Trinza from Invega Sustenna ?
- How is Invega Trinza administered?
- How to transition to Invega Hayfera from Invega Trinza or Invega Sustenna?
- How do you give an Invega Sustenna injection?