User Reviews for Paliperidone

Also known as: Invega, Invega Sustenna, Invega Trinza

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Paliperidone.

Autism

1 review 7 medications
Depression

Schizophrenia

Bipolar Disorder

Schizoaffective Disorder

Summary of Paliperidone reviews 7.1 158 reviews

Reviews for Paliperidone

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have been on 156mg injections for the past year. Yes, there is weight gain, and its from over-eating because the drug makes you very hungry even shortly after eating. That was the only bad for me. Otherwise it gives me a calm reflective mind, and no symptoms from my illness. I am hoping to get my appetite under control through discipline. If you exercise and eat intelligently I am sure there would be no weight gain, but do be warned: you will be much more hungry than usual. Overall its the best anti-psychotic I've tried though, and that includes Risperdal, Abilify and Haliperidol (the worst one by far.) Compared to Risperdal, it is just as effective but with fewer side effects. I feel like less of a zombie."

Lochness Monster February 21, 2018

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Cons: Invega increased my "PROLACTIN hormone" 5 times more than the maximum level. Thus, I lost my menstrual cycle for more than one year, sexual dysfunction, depression, sleep disturbances, etc... This drug also lowered my metabolism. As a result, I experienced food coma (falling deep sleep) after eating food. It also increased my blood sugar. I gained 20 kg in 8 months. Tremor was another side effect of invega. I was on 100 mg injection. BUT, I had no delusion with it !"

Eli F (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 17, 2018

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I'm not like these other people only side effect I've noticed is I seem to a flat emotional response. I consider it a improvement over the way I was thinking before. It's not a terrible medication for me. Just goes to show you everyone is different"

JbSparky February 10, 2018

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "So I've been on this medication since 2014. Diagnosed with schizophrenia back in 2011 when I told doctors I was visited by spirits at a young age. They didn't believe me though I swear on my life it is true. Anyway, I was on 150mg. Had the worst side effects you could imagine. Very high prolactin levels, lactating from my breasts, amenorrhoea, absolutely no motivation at all, pretty much glued to my bed & phone. So they adjusted my dose twice & now I am feeling a bit better. Not a lot better though I would say. They say that a schizophrenia diagnosis is something you deal with for life so I would be careful what you tell your doctors. You could be on medication for life."

h0m39url (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2018

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I dont know why they started me on 156 mgs but I couldn't think straight on such a high of a dose and I was sleeping 16 hours a day. Zero libido, dizzy spells, acne, plus 50 pounds weight gain. I lowered my injection 3 times to now 39 mgs, the lowest dose. Less acne, still fat, still zero libido but, less dizzy. The benefit was that I have zero delusions."

DanaAnastasia (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2018

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "This is the worst possible nightmare of a drug. I was injected with one 234 mg dose and never took the 2nd shot or 156 mg because I felt so horrible. I was so miserable I wanted to die. I had no emotion, no imagination, no memory, and no initiative. I disappeared into a dark hole for months. It took 6 months before I started to feel any better. It took about 2 1/2 years before I felt like I was anywhere near back to normal. Don't let anyone inject you with this poison. You will regret it."

day2play January 30, 2018

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Hey well as soon as I took this drug I was happy enough. The rushing thoughts began to subdue. I will say one thing - if you going to take this be careful there some sucky side affects like weight gain. I didn't get the weight gain but I did get low libido and it got a little better once I stopped taking it completely and went back on. I still have some high blood pressure, high white blood cell count and high cholesterol so watch that. So that's all my side affects. One more thing don't let these punks mess you around - once you're on it they might try making your life a drug induced nightmare. It's your body, you're choice if it works you will know. If you're really bad stick to a low dose and test if its the right drug for you. Then you're not going to get one: addicted and two: not aware of if its the right drug for you. I'm on 3mg tablet now and I hope to go cold turkey soon after 6 months wish me luck."

danger mouse (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2018

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I have a loved one who had a very long period (over 7 years) where she was unmedicated with active frightening visual and auditory hallucinations before she was able to receive help. After a 4 month hospitalization and oral antipsychotics including Zyprexa she was still totally delusional. After starting community based treatment she was started on Invega Sustana and within 2 months she was better than she has been in over 10 years. I was able to see glimpses of who she was before her brain disorder took over her life. She thinks that the shots are like water and they do nothing. Anosognosia (lack of insight) is a very difficult issue with her so I am beyond pleased this medications ability to improve my love ones life."

just another cog (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2018

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "This medicine is horrible. As soon as started to take the injection It caused a severe depression. I've never been depressed."

Anonymous January 21, 2018

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Best medication if you get the right dose that works for you. I went from being miserable on this drug to “this is the best medication I’ve ever been on”. It only took 8 years with trial and error and giving this med another try. I still can’t do as much as I could before the illness set in, but my motivation and joy have returned. I never thought recovery was going to be possible, now filled with hope for the future. Don’t give up it’s worth the fight!"

Triedagain (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2018

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Absolutely terrible drug. Can’t get an erection and no sperm on this med. cloudy head, can’t concentrate, can’t stop pacing. Didn’t even stop my condition. What a rubbish drug"

Harry744774 January 7, 2018

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Absolutely amazing. Made me back to normal, before I took the invega shot I had extreme paranoia thinking people wanted to kill me, thought the government was purposely making it hard for me not to be homeless and literally thought my life was like the Truman show at some points and that everyone was actors around me, and wanted to kill me, literally within a day after taking this my life had changed and I became myself again before all the medication started."

Sam_mig1 December 26, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "side effects experienced: diarrhea dyspepsia Asthenia, fatigue hypotension agitation  Insomnia  hyperactivity restlessness increased weight increased appetite Akathisia headache sedation muscle aches Back pain benefits of the medication: less mania reduced hyperactivity"

tired and restless (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 20, 2017

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I was going through thyroid storm because I had taken liquid iodine with thyroid pills. At the time I was having a episode... and forced treatment against my will. The doctor told me that it was the only drug I could take and coerced me into taking it. 432 mg shot that was nearly the twice the max dose. I didn't like it because before I was on a dopamine 2 and not dopamine 3 antagonist like this drug does. Absolute crap! Before the episode I was healthy able to run 10k in under 40 minutes on Seroquel xr.... and now I'm dealing with withdrawals and high inflammation that was .7 now 4.3 because of stupid shot. It'll make you not able to think or do your job. You'll lose interest in things like working out and being healthy. The drug is rubbish!!"

Voice hearer (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2017

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have been on this medication for two years. I'm on 117 milligrams and my mood gets worse every time I take the injection"

Cowboy Chris Moore (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 28, 2017

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I have been on this medication on and off for about 5 months now and it’s been rough I can’t think of anything positive to say about it I can’t sleep I have to take medicine just to sleep I have been feeling depressed and unmotivated and I have gained so much weight I use to weigh 165lb after getting back on this medication I am now 187lb after about a couple of weeks. I'd honestly rather that I have delusions and hear voices than to have life stripped away from me like this. I am not hearing voices but my doctor still wants to keep me on it no emotions or feelings on this med currently on 156mg injection"

Smorn (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2017

For Depression: "I was given this drug after suffering a stressful episode from PTSD trauma. I don't think it is for PTSD. As soon as I got injected with this drug I had a horrible feeling of extreme restlessness. I could not sit still and felt the need to be constantly moving. It was horrible and then my cholesterol and prolactin both became elevated. I talked to the doctor about this and she took me seriously. My hand has began contracting and relaxing against my will. It wants to make a fist constantly. My doctor will be switching me to abilify and off of this horrible drug. It has caused me a lot of suffering and problems. It was also making me lactate. I'm very upset to have been put on this drug. It hurt me a lot."

Unhappy1234 November 21, 2017

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "This medication sucks. I only experienced side effects and no benefit. I would rather spend my time looking for another way to treat my illness than to give any of these antipsychotics another chance. All of them cause weight gain sexual side effects, tardive dyskensia, tardive dystonia among other side effects that could mess you up for life. I admit it's very debilitating at times but I would rather have my orginal problems than to be given another set of problems to replace them. If your psychosis is really bad and you can't live a normal life at all and your homeless and you scare people or end up in jail because your illness than I say take it. But if you can wait till they figure out how to make better meds than wait."

Trysomethingelse (taken for 10 years or more) November 20, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "For my bipolar 1 I have been on Invega 156mg since July now it's November and I have minimal side effect including prolactin high and some tremor once a day... Zero symptoms of mania and psychosis ... No weight gain which is why a its a ten...overall a good med sleep good .... No anxiety"

Tyyt (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2017

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I am a victim of bad diagnosis my brain scan has revealed a normal brain I have suffered from concussion which has led to irritable behaviour nothing else. My medical practioner is not honest as I am 62 years old and this drug is not indicated for my age I have had differences with my family and disputes in property which has led to unethical relations to force this treatment on me. It's voluntary to go to psychiatric institutions but I have been forced into it. In the past I was treated with clozapine which led to tumors in my stomach and bone pain. I have also been treated with olanzapine which caused insulin resistant diabetes I have treated side effects with citrus peels and high doses of vitamins for diabetes and tibetan medicine for tumors"

Shunnu (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Well I have been on this medication for some time now. It has helped me with the voices but to be honest you do sleep a lot and that's the only constant this medication has. It makes you eat a lot and as far as sex drive goes lol I won't talk about it. I think that it depends on who you are around to make you feel depressed you have to keep in mind that it's a serious disease but with medication it can be manageable. And if you are getting too fat exercise. You will get the weight off. Keep positive people and remember the struggle is never done we may always have a stigma put on us or a label put on us but prove the enemy wrong. Be the best you can be and shine bright like a diamond. And remember god loves u"

PhlebAqs October 18, 2017

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "This medicine helps in curing the voices and delusional thoughts that sometimes come with schizoaffective disorders.But the worst side of this medication is complete weight gain. I went from size 2 to 14. It also makes your boobs grow bigger and stops the menstrual periods.The drug stays in the system for a long period of time. I stopped it in May and it’s been 5 months but I keep on gaining weight and boobs keep getting bigger and bigger. Worst medication ever! I have to deal with the weight gain and this causes a lot of insecurities especially for a lady! But the doctor told me that it gradually comes out of the system with time. So still hoping that my life will get back to normal with time."

Santinop (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2017

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I have had only my first 2 shots, my last shot being June 23rd 2017, which was the day I was released from the psych ward, I decided that I wanted to see how I was going to do without the drugs and see how I am, my first shot was the week before, I didn't even tell them I was hearing voices because I was at awe that I was and wanted to keep that to myself, I believe I was only hearing them for about 4 weeks but I can't really say, even though I was experiencing many new things mentally, physically and emotionally, even before the voices, I would have rather felt that and heard voices, which I don't hear anymore than to feel how I am now...literally zero emotions, don't get pleasure for anything, don't feel anything I mean anything"

Momogus October 1, 2017

Invega (paliperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Worst medication ever. Ruined my health. It's chemical lobotomy."

Lithuanian (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar 1 with Psychosis and began receiving the 170 mg monthly injection and have not had any psychosis or noticeable mood swings since. My head is no longer filled with racing thoughts or voices from God. I no longer connect everything together like a never-ending string theory. I'm no longer paranoid or fearful. I no longer have a sense of impending doom. And I can now sleep all through the night, although I now have the craziest dreams, including astral projection and lucid dreams which is kind of cool, but sometimes scary. The biggest problems from this medication are that I have gained 40 pounds in 2 years and it levels me out so much that I can't be super happy about great things that happen in my life and it's impossible to cry. I'm just mostly neutral."

Archangel Michael September 20, 2017