User Reviews for Paliperidone to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Also known as: Invega Sustenna, Invega, Invega Trinza

Paliperidone Rating Summary

4.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Paliperidone

Iamme · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2020

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I have MDD with psychotic features and Ive been on this med Invega Sustenna for 4 months. I've gained a lot of weight, feel numb, feel dumb, feel like my life is now one big act like I'm a puppet that's doesn't really have any emotions because I don't feel good or bad and I just act and do what I feel should be the norm alt though I don't feel anything. Hope that makes sense... I don't always feel that way sometimes I feel my normal positive self but for the most part that is the case. It has stoped hallucinations visual/auditory and tactile. I don't know how to make a informed decision on this med :/ I'm 50/50.”

eckies · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 16, 2020

Invega (paliperidone): “I take the 150/234 needle of Invega. I also take 30mg olanzapine. 45mg mirtazapine and a couple .5mg ativans a day. and sometimes take cogentin. I need coffee to function on this med. I drink like 5 coffees a day. The coffee stops the anxiety I get from this med. I also get a lot of body pain. I take acetaminophen. I feel better on this med if I don't smoke cigarettes. I tried smoking weed but it wasn't good. I'm trying to quit smoking by using nicotine gum. I have to chew 2 4mg pieces at once to get over my cravings. Its a good med. I has changed a lot while I have been taking it. I think I have got adapted to it now. It has been over a year. Sometimes I think I need a lower dose so I could feel more of my good emotions. It didn't stop my psychosis though. I still need olanzapine. my psychosis consists of very rapid thoughts and I always feel terrified. things look different and I feel different. Its a good med give it time and drink lots of coffee.”

Turtle June 6, 2020

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I’ve been on the Invega Sustena for going on 7 years now and I have to say that a lot of what I’m seeing in the feedback is all similar to different experiences I’ve had with schizophrenia and while on the medication. Yes the side effects are terrible, you cycle from being overly manic to super lethargic (I held down a job for 3 years as a line cook on 256 mg dose) your appetite is uncontrollable at times and exercise is overly strenuous and difficult (I tried a regiment of weight lifting and killer ten mile runs daily to keep the weight off, your body can’t shed breast tissue when your a male) Since the circumstance of me taking this medication is mandatory in all aspects of my life for somebody in a similar situation to me 8 years ago (I’ll spare the details) I would recommend this medication for bi-polar Or schizophrenia.”

Le · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2020

Invega (paliperidone): “I’m on Invega approximately 6 weeks I am diagnosed about 5 years never settling on any drug as they have me reactions. I am extremely sensitive to medication and always suffer high prolactin levels. On one of my previous medications after 6 weeks milk started coming out of my breasts. I was switched to invega and so far so good, it has brought out my creative side and I am much more alert, although it’s hard to get up in the morning as I keep falling back to sleep. I am demanding another blood test for tomorrow as I want to know if my prolactin levels have gone down at all. If not I’m getting off this drug as that’s not good for your body and it’s terrifying having milk coming out when it’s not supposed to. I’ve heard of caplyta the new drug and that has less side effects but the reviews online aren’t great”

Hira · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 9, 2020

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “Invega 156mg every three weeks have been good to me. I no longer have voices and I am able to maintain my weight .....I don’t menstruate that’s a negative. I can’t drive or work get out of the house by myself because of agraphobia caused by invega as I suspect. I don’t have anxiety that’s a plus no panic attacks that a plus .....”

Milly · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 29, 2020

“I have been on this drug paliperidone for around two years now And the main problem it gave me was severe intrusive thoughts(ocd) and no interest in anything. My last injection my doctor gave me 100mg instead of 150mg and I definitely feel better. Another thing I also take 200mg of Zoloft which helps with the depression side of things.”

ceamonn95 April 17, 2020

“In early June of 2018, I finally received helped after suffering from a psychotic episode for the entirety of the spring. However, I was fully hospitalized for 9 days and on the 4th day, I was prescribed Paliperidone. It took me a while to realize that I also still had residual depression from my original episode that occurred a year prior. On March 14th, 2019, I was diagnosed by my psychiatrist as having schizoaffective disorder with a depressive subtype. The medication has been helping me significantly. I think after my next psychiatrist appointment, he will lower my dosage from 6mg to 3mg, then I'll eventually wean off of it. (I was originally on 12mg in 2018.) In addition to Paliperidone, I'm on Fluoxetine (Prozac) and Buproprion (Wellbutrin) for my depression. Things are going fairly well and I think by the end of 2020, I won't have to take any more medications. That will be the day!”

Gsuite March 27, 2020

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I've been on haldol, aristada, zyprexa, and invega and so far these medications just give your brain time to heal not actually heal your your disorder. They help manage your symptoms. So far I've had delusions, hallucinations, and voices. Invega may be harmful but when you have schizophrenia like me you have to be on something so far invega helps the most but has the worst side effects works kinda like that. I advise taking it over the ones I mentioned for me personally.”

Toomey March 27, 2020

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I have schizo affective disorder and I have been on the Invega Sustenna drug for a year now and I love it. It is the only drug that has ever worked for me . It took my symptoms alway totally. It has changed my life. The only side effects I have had is it makes my mouth dry. I can definitely live with that. All the other drugs have had horrible side effects. My future is looking great because of this drug. I feel it is the that this is the best drug on the market.”

beck · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 23, 2020

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I've been on this drug Invega Sustenna for the last 5 years. I've gained 65 lbs, I'm 5'4" tall. I'm restless, have liver problems, memory problems. I don't know which symptoms it is treating. I do not hallucinate. I originally got diagnosed with bipolar disorder 23 years ago, because I could not sleep at night. This drug is horrible and there are no benefits from it.”

kolya · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2020

“This drug stopped my positive symptoms of schizophrenia but increased negative symptoms. I felt numb severely depressed. Felt nothing was worth while. Couldn't motivate myself to do hardly anything. Put on 3 stone in two years. Couldn't produce sperm. Developed breasts. Had sky high levels of prolactin. The depressive state has subsided since taking 5htp 400mg. Not sure if this is a contra indication while on paliperidone which blocks dopamine and serotonin neurotransmission.”

Morkovkay · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 29, 2020

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “While the Invega Sustenna negated my psychosis, I have experienced anhedonia and lactation due to raised prolactin levels. I can't enjoy music, or anything else for that matter. I also now have a tic where I have to move my mouth, I don't know if it's medication related. I get my period once every three months and have lowered sexual pleasure. I feel like this drug took any enjoyment out of life and I'd rather be on something else as my symptoms are not severe and Invega not good”

lipelips · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2020

Invega (paliperidone): “I took it often when I was diagnosed with the condition. In the beginning of the treatment I took invega 3mg, and after some time I took 6mg. I felt most of the times sick and dehydratated . It seems to me that the absorbation is hard , and not too much effective. Xeplion is other story, much more effective and without significative collateral effects”

Anya February 1, 2020

Invega (paliperidone): “I’m currently writing with trembles in my hands and muscle stiffness. I had a nervous breakdown and classified bi-polar NIGHTMARE BEGAN. I have extreme paranoia , lost my job because Invega destroyed my hand coordination, TD, (I believe I have permanent brain damage), sexual dysfunction, muscle stiffness, tremors in my whole body, hands shaking, face twitching, curling fingers, I can’t hold down food, severe anxiety, depression, suicidal, anti-social, no emotions, removed from relationships, no periods infertile at this point, no sleep in 3-months, pacing, blurry vision, absolute chemical lobotomy - fear of body deteriorating. 39 years old hard to find the energy just to stay alive. Everything in my body is dry. I’m a nervous wreck. Detoxing: I was trying to restart body- No change in 2-months. Instead have early signs of Parkinson’s. ”

Sean · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “Invega sustenna is a Terrible drug especially the shot. Do not take for schizophrenia or schizoaffective. Will make it worse. Bad side effects too.”

Drasticallyaltered · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 28, 2019

“I was prescribed injections with Invega Paliperidone after I was diagnosed for being 'a little weird car thing' or something like that while one dr. insisted it was a psychosis after telling I had heard confusing language. Besides lethargy and severe depression and feeling really awful all the time Paliperidone causes a constant jittery torturous agitation which made it impossible to sit still or work or do anything at all really besides chain-smoking and walking around like a zombie. Akathisia is a severe side effect of antipsychotics that can be mistakenly diagnosed as a mental illness. Invega made it impossible to experience pleasure from or care about anything at all. Side effects of antipsychotics are much worse then as they are described by doctors and on the internet and actually cause psychiatric symptoms. Giving antipsychotics through injections, sometimes lasting for months, is inhumane. Recent article: called ComingOffPsychDrugsHarmReductGuide”

MDJ · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

Invega (paliperidone): “This is a terrible drug. In four days I've had heart palpitations, wheezing shakes, insomnia, aggression, restlessness. Horrible drug for schizophrenics. I interacted more with my voices due to insomnia and headaches. I had to call the suicide crisis line because I had a panic attack so severe night 4 of taking this poison.”

Dirty D · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 20, 2019

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I was placed on invega Sustenna after having a violent psychotic episode. I attempted suicide in a very violent manner and went back to the psych ward after surgery. They placed me on 156mg injection once a month. Since being on the injection I’ve experienced slight weight gain, loss of euphoria I used to get from using drugs like alcohol, weed, amphetamines, benzodiazepines, and also the inability to “trip” from using psychedelics. Also, loss of sex drive. Most importantly though...I no longer have the constant thoughts of wanting to end my life or hurt others. All things said though, I have decided to remain on invega injections, sacrificing all the wonderful highs I used to get from dope because I’m afraid that if I stop taking invega I might have another psychotic break, and that the BEAST inside me could drive me to commit violence on myself or others. If invega makes me non-violent, non-sexual, docile, and stable then I say it is a good drug.”

NK November 18, 2019

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “At first it didn't seem that bad taking invega. I got the shot once a month. I was in the psych ward for paranoia and delusions. Hallucinations had subsided. They told me they would hold me at the V.A. for four months if I didn't take the shot. They used psychological manipulation to get me to "agree." Six months later I'm 60 lbs overweight, depressed, and tired beyond belief. All I want to do is lay down and close my eyes. Today I woke up about 11:00 am, got out of bed for an hour, went and laid back down till about 4 pm, then got up to make myself something to eat, then laid down till 6, got up for another hour then right back to bed. This is my daily routine on this nightmarish drug. I'm taking one class in school and can't afford to withdraw off of it right now, but in a month I will graduate and finally get off this terrible drug forever. It makes me want to do nothing in life nor could I work taking this medication. It has ruined a year of my life. I'd rather have symptoms.”

Jesus · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

Invega (paliperidone): “I'm so depressed on invega that I cry multiple times a day, can't maintain any friendships, too tired and demotivated to work out or play my guitar like I used to. I lay in my bed every day no motivation for anything”

poopmeds20 · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “This medication is the worst. Do not take it. You will have no feelings, no thoughts, no sex drive. Please do not take this drug in any circumstance. It does not help at all. It actually makes you worse. It makes you lose your mind on the daily. It makes you hallucinate daily. You don't want that. Do not take this medication in shot or pill form. 0 stars. Horrible drug. Way too expensive and does not work at all.”

Poopdrugs · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I think this is a terrible drug. DO NOT TAKE. Causes schizophrenia does not treat it. I repeat do not take. Will decrease your thinking to almost not there completely. Will remove your emotions almost completely. Side effects on top of side effects. Weight gain, blurry vision, restless leg syndrome, brain pain and more. Do not take even if doctor convinces u it is a good idea. It is not a good idea at all.”

Natron · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2019

Invega (paliperidone): “I've been on Invega now for 2 months, it has stop the hallucinations and delusions but has also increased my depression. I feel emotionally numb and am tired all the time. I also can't exercise like I used to, to tired to even walk. I'm still adjusting to this new med so Hopefully things will settle down.”

Janac August 31, 2019

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I honestly feel like I've been misdiagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, but I've been taking this medication for almost two years. Currently at 117mg every four weeks. I feel like I've become a completely different person than before I started Invega Sustenna. I have no passion for anything, no emotion, no ideas or input or anything to say to anyone, and my energy for life overall is just flat. So flat. I constantly feel like I only do things to appease people and appear like a normal person. Only the people closest to me, like my family, recognize that I'm no longer the person I used to be. I have hopes that I'll be able to stop this medication someday... and that when I stop, I'll be able to recollect whatever is left of who I used to be. I don't know if I'd recommend this medication. But if you ever find yourself on it, take note of your side effects earlier on so you have record of it to tell your psychiatrist. Then maybe stopping will be easier, if that's what you want to do.”

Finally Well · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 24, 2019

Invega Sustenna (paliperidone): “I was in denial about my illness for about 8 years before I finally went to the hospital by police escort (with the help of my family). I had lost my marriage, couldn’t do my job, and I couldn’t figure out why all this was happening to me. The doctor at the hospital ordered the Invega Sustenna injection and it completely turned my life around. 5 years later, I’m in a great relationship, and I’ve been able to go back to school earning A’s in my classes. People like me again. I did try to go off of the medication last year with the help of my doctor to see if having children would be possible. We have to do more homework on our options because I was only able to stay off for 6 months after the taper. For me, I’m very thankful for this medication. Yes, I gained 20 pounds, but that isn’t terrible when I consider that I’m no longer hurting the people who care about me.”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)