User Reviews for Paliperidone to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Invega, Invega Sustenna, Invega Trinza, Invega Hafyera

Paliperidone has an average rating of 5.0 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 40% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 47% reported a negative effect.

Paliperidone Rating Summary

5.0/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Paliperidone

Sam September 4, 2021

“Ever since been on this drug, I felt down, emotionless, demotivated, weak, no sex drive, and don't know what to say in conversations, everything I loved to do now feels like a chore. I'm getting 100mg dose, getting it reduced to 75mg next week, hope it goes well and I get some of my emotions back”

wonderfull alive July 15, 2013

Invega (paliperidone): “I get the shot of Invega Sustenna 156mg once every 4 weeks. I am 62 and have tried everything in every research hospital in Indiana and Illinois. I use it as monotherapy along with counseling and it has revolutionalized my life. I have no side effects. I work full time as a school teacher and I am working on my master's degree and expect to graduate soon. I finally found my own miracle in this medicine. I am so grateful to my new doctor, nurse, and therapist and now to you who are reading this. ”

LHHL August 3, 2013

Invega (paliperidone): “I had tried Abilify, Fanapt, lithium, Depakote, and Geodon for my bipolar disorder. Luckily, a doctor introduced me to Invega. It helped dramatically with my bipolar issues and alcohol abuse. I have absolutely no problem with my mood since being on this medicine. I'm always happy and am no longer irritable since being on this medicine. I don't have a problem with alcohol abuse anymore and I'm able to drink like a normal person. There are two problems I have with Invega though. The first is that I gained weight dramatically. In 5 months I gained 50 lbs. Also I would have random spurts of horrible anxiety. Great medication all in all though.”

Jellybaby_30 February 15, 2020

“had 5 shots of this paliperidone after I had a manic episode. Since going off of it I never feel tired. But get 12 hours sleep a night. Can’t zone out get high or drunk. I get a lot of headaches. Have no sex drive and feel numb. So I forget about sex, very low motivation. So it’s hard to get motivated to shower or do laundry it used to be really easy. I used to clean the house all the time. But now no dopamine reward. Weight gain, lower intellect. It's hard to have conversations now because I can’t think as fast. Thoughts of what to say don’t seem to come to me anymore. Long term and short term memory is screwed. Always forget things. Don't enjoy my hobbies and interests. Eg I watch a movie and my face and soul is just blank/numb. Couldn’t cry for 5 months now I finally can. Sadness, happiness, love, anger, fear, jealousy have come back a little bit. Hardly any food tastes nice anymore miss calling my friends and chatting but get scared because I hardly talk anymore.”

Blip · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“This drug has completely ruined my life. I was a driven illustrator and designer. I can’t believe how they treated me like absolute trash. Overnight this drug took my life from me and it flipped every personality trait. It’s been about 10 months since I stopped it and I’m still in a deep depression mourning the loss of myself. Everything that made me me was taken away. My passion, creativity, sense of humour, can do attitude, energy, self care, intelligence, joy, motivation, strength, positivity, rationality etc. The human brain isn’t equipped to deal with this much change. ”

Outloud2 September 22, 2009

Invega (paliperidone): “I've been terrified about staying on any anti-pyschotic medication, the side effects are horrible. This drug has very few side effects, no weight gain IS A PLUS! Not to mention, it stabilizes my moods and stops psychosis. Another added bonus is, the drug company provided me with a free lifetime user card. Thank you for giving me my life back.”

Kevin · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 19, 2020

“I been taking paliperidone for 10 months and it was the worse thing of my life. Had the injection and it was awful. The drug shuts down your brain and your dopamine receptors. It takes away my sex drive and left my with no happiness. Takes away all the joy in your brain. Horrible drug that should be banned. Its a dirty drug with lots of horrible side effects.”

Anonymous October 13, 2010

Invega (paliperidone): “My 8 year old son was put on Invega 3 mg and then moved up to 6 mgs a day. About 1 1/2 months ago after gaining too much weight on risperdone. He gets the dosage on time daily but since starting Invega he has had the worse uncontrollable muscle spasms/twitches. He is constantly twitching his arms, neck and head without knowing he is doing it. Also he has started making vocal noises (random humming) without noticing he is doing it. I was really hoping the Invega would work but I think in our case the side effects are too much to accept so he will be switching again today.”

Danjwp March 2, 2019

“I was given this drug to control hypomania - I was given 150mg monthly depot. It absolutely destroyed my life. I became, within a couple months, severely depressed and severely socially anxious. Yes, I was hypomanic to begin with, but the change was from happy in mood, to an absolute wreck. The mental pain I experienced for a year and a half was the worst for a period of about 6 months. It seemed my only motivation and energy was being directed towards my wish to die. I just couldn’t live with the unrelenting mental pain. The dose has since been lowered by one third, I am feeling much better now. Far more social and in a less depressed mood. I still want to lower the dose further, down to say, 50mg because I am still somewhat depressed.”

HannahBanana100 May 30, 2018

“While using this drug (invega, injection) I gained 25 pounds and I think I am still gaining weight. I am 5'6" and 180 lbs. I feel a lack of motivation in the things that used to give me joy. I just no longer feel like doing them or even being social. I avoid social situations. I have a very irregular sleep pattern and cannot take caffeinated coffee in the morning anymore. My doctor told me she would not treat me unless I took this medication. That doesn't seem like this medication is working well for me. Before I took this I was taking resperidone and weighed 155 lbs and was highly motivated to work out and pursue my creative endeavors. I don't like psychiatrists as they do not really seem to listen to valid reasons for not wanting to take specific drugs and not switch to something else. My quality of life has really gone down, just because its easier for her to have someone give me a shot for one month. Now I feel at risk for diabetes.”

Father July 17, 2019

“This paliperidone is miracle drug to my 15 yr old daughter, she’s diagnosed with bipolar last Dec 2018 . She’s on paliperidon 3 mg for 5 months and works great for her . With a minimal side effects a little weight gain. All in all this is the best meds for her. She is back to her normal life again . Good luck everyone!”

Patient4nothing · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2021

“I was given the paliperidone injection and I’m getting really bad side effects. I’ve got a bad case of insomnia which has improved slightly since my doctor prescribed me promethazine but I’m not dreaming which I find odd. My whole outlook on life has changed completely and I’m not enthusiastic about anything anymore. My thought process has diminished to the point that I feel as though I’ve got brain damage. Also, I can’t eat. I don’t even enjoy the taste of food anymore. I’ve lost so much of my up beat personality and have become quite boring. I’m so serious now. I can’t feel emotions anymore either. The most worrying thing is this and I’m embarrassed to say it, I’m growing hair in unusual places. I hope this isn’t permanent as I might have to get lasered. These depots are no good. I’ve had 3 in the past and all of them have messed me up. If I could I’d sue these scientists who are formulating poor methods of treating people with mental health problems.”

Gaz 1111 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 31, 2019

“I was forced on this injection when I was hospitalised and told that if I didn't take it I would stay in hospital indefinitely. I have put on a lot of weight and I sleep most of the time, I have no motivation to do anything I get jittery legs when I try and sleep and I can't be bothered to do anything. I used to be passionate about a lot of things but I now feel like everything is a chore I have lost all my social skills and lack my personality it has all been stripped away from me I've been on the injection for around 6 or 7 months and I am going to refuse to take it when I get my driving licence back as I had that taken away from me as well. I have lost my sex drive as well. Totally against this horrible drug Do not take.”

Tommy · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 17, 2018

“The pros - it eliminates mania and psychosis- you can experience a new steady life patterns. The negativity - weight gain, loss in interest in things you like before, happiness seems unattainable and some suicidal thoughts, numbness in limbs at night. I scared myself with my last episode so taking it gives me confidence it won’t happen again. I get regular sleep. Maybe I miss the highs of bipolar or it’s changed my personality. I won’t take risks anymore - it’s been 1 year and it’s working better than any anti psyc med, but not sure if it’s too strong for bipolar. I probably would stop taking it but on a CTO order’ hoping for a reduction from 150 to 100 injection - wishing you good luck”

Kell · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 18, 2020

“This is terrifying horrible this drug is the worst. I was on it for 7 months it physically and mentally messed me up I pray to god it gets better I don't know what I'm going to do with myself. It messed me up internally and nobody seems to know anything. I feel stuck and am always on the edge all day long never ending nightmare. I'm bipolar I feel like this medicine was a misdiagnosis. My doctor put me on abilify but didn't really wean me off its serious I cry all day now don't know how to help myself anymore”

Tom April 4, 2020

“paliperidone is the only medication I take for bipolar. A monthly injection of 100mg. It has single handily stopped me from going back to hospitals, there’s no psychosis. I’m often on the side of depression though, feeling empty of emotions. This is where I try to think that this is how normal people feel without a condition of bipolar or schizophrenia. I’ve become more reliable. I don’t get suicidal thoughts, I’m no longer a danger to myself or others which I could be in psychosis. Relationships I have now are more secure. To summarise, it’s changed my life’ I no longer worry about hospitals and losing everything. Do I miss the highs? Yes. Do I miss the damage I inflicted on relationships and myself. No. Also there are benefits to an injection and a cto order. I know I would never agree to taking medication in the long run. I’d stop talking it to feel the highs - good luck”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2019

“So I was first was prescribed paliperidone whilst I was in hospital and I was receiving the injection. I believe my first was around the 75 dose, and at the start things were fine. It was only when they bumped up the dose to 150 is when I started to notice some unusual sensations throughout my body. Tingling like pain started through my legs and arms and over the months it has gotten worse. Even now, I can still feel pain within my legs and it annoys the hell out of me. My last shot of this drug was down to 100, and my condition hasn't improved. I don't know what's causing all this pain throughout my body, but it's gotta be the drug. On top of that, I've got really bad anxiety and agitation that is stopping my everyday life, something I haven't had before which again I blame this drug for it. I think people with Bi-polar should stay away from this drug, it causes a lot of harm if things don't go your way.”

dhall10067 March 30, 2012

Invega (paliperidone): “Invega has gotten rid of my mania at 75 mg monthly injection. However, the side effects are much more than lithium or valproic acid and it is much worse on the body. So I think it is really better to just take a mood stabilizer so am thinking of switching to lithium or valproic acid. I will try to reduce to the lowest injection which is 50 mg monthly. I am using it as a monotherapy. It along with Risperdone injection are the only long-lasting injections available. So they force it on me because they don”

Seattlenative · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 10, 2017

“I have been on this drug a few years (3 mg). It seems like I have been on every drug out there. I'm the most stable I've ever been and don't have all the side effects-spasms and twitches- of abilify. To me this is a miracle drug.I have gained weight but attribute it to overeating and not to drug and it is nothing a good plus sized clothing store can't take care of.”

CaribbeanGirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2019

“Been on a monthly injection of InVega for 4 months now. I agree with most of the other comments that while it stopped the hallucinations, it has left me void of all emotion or personality. I feel numb most to all of the time, I’ve gained a lot of weight (maybe 30 lbs so far), it has sapped me of all energy, severe anhedonia, apathy, weakness and depressed. I’m very torn, I don’t want to continue this medication but it has kept me out of the hospital for 4 months.”

Damage May 10, 2021

“Do not take this drug. It has caused permanent damage to my breast tissue from the lactation and impacting the lymph glands under my arms. Please consider learning meditation and addressing childhood traumas along with making lifestyle choices and changing your diet to plant-based, low sugar, no caffeine and live in a low stress environment. You can spend your whole life making the wrong choices for your self and then trying to take every medication to solve it which just causes more problems and puts you on a roller coaster of chemicals and medical appointments. Some aspects of mania are also the bodies response to get you out of a dangerous situation or subconsciously defend you from facing shame which is a very painful emotion. It is BETTER to face your self and your historical rubbish than get stuck with permanent disfigurement due to the weight gain of these drugs and the kind of breast issues I am experiencing after the lactation side effect”

Day Dreamer November 23, 2016

“I have been taking Invega for 3 yrs. I just increased from 6 to 9 mg. I take it in the morning as part of a bipolar drug medicine therapy. I still take Prozac and lithium as well. I didn't have any side effects starting Invega. My moods are 99% controlled. I'm still bipolar and have very infrequent mood swings but they are not as long or as severe. I did gain 20 lbs. My quality of life has greatly improved.”

Invega Girl December 14, 2009

Invega (paliperidone): “I have been on Invega 6mg for about 3 years now. I have gained about 70 extra pounds, and nothing I do seems to drop the weight. Also it messed with my periods so much that I had to have a hysterectomy. But it does keep my moods stable for the most part. I think its time for me to start a new medication though. Because when I do have outbursts they are really bad. And the depression is still here.”

Chelle April 11, 2021

“I feel in some ways I have been made into a vegetable I feel my life is basically over. I was put on this for bipolar disorder and Aspergers. I used to have so much energy. It has reduced me to like a fraction of the person I used to be and it’s messy and unpleasant. Invega has ruined my life and I feel it has given me permanent brain damage. I have insomnia. I lay on the bed a lot and I sit down a lot. I shuffle a lot. I have akathesia and catatonia. My hands are crippled, my hair is ruined it is so thin and falls out. Please don’t let anyone you love start Invega if you are looking for the worst time of your life this is the medication for you!”

Klea55 June 20, 2016

“I have experienced extreme drowsiness with my paliperidone injection. When I first started I also experienced muscle spasms and blurred vision. I gained approximately 20lbs in 2 months of taking it. I also experience depression and lack of motivation. This drug makes me feel like a zombie. I am hoping to switch medications soon.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder