User Reviews for Abilify Maintena to treat Schizophrenia

Abilify Maintena has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings for the treatment of Schizophrenia. 56% of those users who reviewed Abilify Maintena reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Abilify Maintena Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Abilify Maintena

Jes · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2021

“I was coerced into taking this injection at a mental hospital where I was told if I did not have it I would be in there for a long time. My only symptoms were depression and anxiety at the time of admission. It is a horrible drug it gave me anhedonia so lack of pleasure. I also had side effects to begin with like constipation and I passed out on. Also had racing thoughts and severe insomnia. AVOID this drug if you can it is awful.”

Pho · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2020

“Went on an episode and relapse and took em away. BUT BE WARNED: it is like working out (as in going to the gym). You take the injection and then you work out your mentality because depression side effects start to kick in. Took away my passion for pretty much anything and I gained 15 pounds. Been on it for 5 months. But also remember that it is different for everybody. My sleep has been horrible but I still sleep for 10-14 hours a day. It makes you careless about your decision so you won't care about what you eat and you will eat a lot since you won't care.”

ALI · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

“I have to thank the people that comments on here, I'm learning from your comments as a mother for a daughter. Thank you.”

advo4her · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2020

“Abilify Maintena has changed my life drastically in such positive ways. The AH, VH and TH are all gone, I am able to function without distraction of delusions, and can hold a steady job and take care of my children. I wouldn't be able to do any of this if it weren't for this injection.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 28, 2020

“I’m on 400 mg shot for schizophrenia NOS . I don’t recommend lowering the dosage because you get tolerance to it. I was very impulsive and erratic before going on this, I’m on disability so I could not even maintain working. Doing much better thinking clearly and hardly side effects besides tired the first month that is all.”

Aby March 24, 2020

“Been on arirpirzole for a year and half now, I cannot sleep, only getting about 3 hours a night, restlessness and spending money My lifestyle is completely different from before might not seem it but I was aggressive and hearing voices also the TV would interfere with my actions. Now taking this medication I feel somewhat better, really I don't get my self in to so much trouble, like arguing and shouting, but now am calm and confident and can laugh again.”

Overmydeadbody · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2018

“This medications side effects are far worse then any good it does. If you don't mind sleeping all day , gaining weight , breaking out with zits , becoming a total zombie and doing nothing productive with your life at all this is the drug for you. Hearing voices is not so bad in comparison to how bad this drug makes you feel and the want to gambling your life savings away. The second the injection enters your blood you instantly feel greasy. This stuff is a total joke and has the power to turn a smart and clever individual into a total brainless slug.”

Duduk Fan · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2019

“For my schizophrenia opted in for Abilify Mainena as an alternative to Invega Sustena. Granted that I was on Invega Sustena for between 6-12 months prior with bland emotions at that time, I did some research and gave Abilify Maintena a chance. That was late 2014. Now it's early 2019, and I want everyone to know that by this time, I have regained some emotional ability. I am also able to focus on complex tasks with a significantly better ability than I would be without an antipsychotic. I have concerns though. I have a physical standing job and I walk to work, and all I can do is maintain my weight within a 10 pound range. I felt good, and the Abilify Maintena kept me resilient when things got tough. For the record, I used to have suicidal thoughts long before starting Abilify Maintena, but I never contemplated it while on it. One last thing: I have always taken a low dosage of Abilify Maintena. I do not ever recommend medium or high dosages to start with.”

Smog January 2, 2020

“been on some form of abilify injection for 4 years. I have never missed a monthly dose. Started 400mg for 2 years 300mg for 2 years and just got my first 200mg Jan 2020 for schizoeffective disorder . I will never be tapered off but the point in lowering is to maintain stability but at the same time control the insatiable desire the meds give me to eat. Also to try and get back some of the energy the meds just simply take away - energy to cook , clean , and exercise. I have been trying different meds for 10 years and abilify is my preferred. After refusing those other antipsychotic meds that have literally been around forever , abilify injection seemed to be a happy medium and you don’t have to take a pill everyday (because I know I won’t). If you find being on an anti psychotic indefinitely is your reality , abilify makes things easier. With the injection lasting a month long , it’s very incognito and doesn’t remind you that you are being treated - like taking a pill everyday”

Silver · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 26, 2020

“This med really hasn't helped my voices at all. I'd say at most it takes the edge off my anger. I had the typical side effects which were pretty bad but I also had what I thought was EPS, extrapyramidal side effects in the form of hand movements. Upon withdrawal of the med I experienced an explosion of tics both motor and vocal. I went back on the med and the tics were a bit better but persisted. They include inappropriate tics and are unpredictable. I'm not a fan of any of the antipsychotics, frankly, but I would be weary of the risk of movement disorders in this med.”

nutty shahid · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 10, 2016

“If you want to sleep between 7-10 hours a day and want a good sex life this is the medication for you. I have had no side effects no shakes tremors drowsiness. On clopixol I used to sleep up to 20 hours the doctors will be reluctant to put you on it as it is very expensive but if you work or want to return to work or study this is the medication for you”

Green bottle · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

“I shared my experience once already. But I need to share it again. It has been now 4 months I take abilify maintena. And with the help of the pill form, I feel like the side effects are really subsiding. I gained 20 lbs but at least I feel somewhat normal again.”

MHR · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2017

“This medicine provided so much hope regarding the struggle to find ANY medicine that would help the combative nature of schizophrenia. Only ABILIFY MAINTANA injection has improved my sons thought processes. He has been less delusional more lucid for the first time in 12 years , The anger and frustration of daily life has calmed. It truly is life changing. I pray that this medicine can help billions more angry raging delusional young men and young woman . Thank goodness for this INJECTION being on the market for this sad disease that has ruined so many lives in the past . Now I have hope going forward for all diseases that rob the mind and thoughts of many persons . Thank you ”

Flowag77 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 7, 2017

“Forced onto this medication via a CTO. Delusions are still strong and troublesome. Doctors have no idea how to treat this condition. Side effects include insomnia, anxiety, constantly feeling sick and have therefore lost weight. This medication is completely ineffective and it is easier to live with the delusions without the negative side effects.”

A Guy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 11, 2019

“So I've been on this Abilify Injection (against my will) for a couple of years because my family just wants me to be normal again. And man, do I feel normal! It's so great! (I was being sarcastic...really, really sarcastic) I can't sleep for more than a couple hours at a time, I suffer from persistent psychological pain due to anxiety/restless leg, and I have gained 70 lbs! And there's more! If I keep taking it, I'll probably wind up with diabetes! What a great drug to give a permanently disabled veteran to ensure that they live a long, peaceful life! Seriously though...It's terrible. Low quality of life in exchange for little to no psychotic symptoms...Bad Trade. Find something else that works for your condition!!!!!!”

Green bottle · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2019

“I have been using Abilify Maintena for 2 months now. I had very little problems with my illness to begin with but my psychiatrist decided to put me on it due to many trouble I have caused to some people a while ago. The drug has had for me very little to 0 therapeutic effect. In fact, now I have less motivation and a big social anxiety. I was before on Xeplion (invega sustenna) and abilify is still a lot better than Xeplion because it has a lot less side effect.”

Green bottle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 2, 2019

“I have used the Abilify Maintena for 7-8 months. All the side effects have almost disappeared except for the anxiety. My psychiatrist has agreed to put me off of it. I guess the anxiety will wear off within a couple of months.”

A A Ron · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 6, 2018

“I was put on this injection, after my insurance wouldn't cover any other injection other than prolixin. I was covered for this injection through the Prelapse Study. Now if anyone has ever been on Prolixin, you should know that the effect are extremely bad so being on Abilify Maintena was a god send. It overall changed me completely to where I am functioning at a normal state, and haven't been in the hospital since I have been put on this injection. I do have some side effect from the injection, which most notably is the uncontrollable muscle movments, which I am uncertain if this is unreleated to the drug itself or if I have a form of tourette's. Also I did notice some uncontrollable urges in spending money/gambling, more than what I thought I would have normally done. Overall to be honest, the benefits out weight the cons in my concern.”

Bobmillionaire · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 9, 2020

“Double edged sword. Got rid of my psychosis but in return I have no personality/emotions.”

14443413 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2018

“This drug is terrible. I can’t remember a thing. No desire or passion for anything. Stops my thought process almost entirely. Very scary.”

Green bottle July 18, 2019

“Has anyone developed hypersexuality like me?”

Big Ali · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 7, 2018

“I have been taken the drug for over a year now no side effects.”

S.K June 16, 2018

“I can't bare this injection. It make me zombie and not feel anything any emotion or any feeling of pleasure.”

E · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2019

“My fiancé has been taking meth for a long time. Ever since, he had sleeping disorder. Anxiety. Depressed.. Doctor suggested this injection abilify. Is there anyone here taking meth and tried abilify”

jazzypoohbaerr May 8, 2013

“Have been using this medication since I was 10 year old. I am now 16 years old.”

113344411 November 12, 2017

“I have been taking this drug for a year now and its finally stopped the psychotic episodes I was having. It works for me anyway.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2018

“I have been on this medication for 3 months and it has worked for my condition (Schizophrenia) the voices are less frequent and I am able to live a normal life. 9/10”

Learn more about Schizophrenia