User Reviews for Risperidone to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Perseris

Risperidone Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Risperidone

Druger February 15, 2020

“This was the first antipsychotic I tried for schizophrenia. It did absolutely nothing for me but cause severe anxiety (worse than I already had), made me gain weight and I was tired all the time. Antipsychotics have ruined my health. I used to weigh 160 pounds and was a very thin male, now I'm over 220 pounds. All thanks to antipsychotics. And that weight gain occurred within the first year and a half of starting antipsychotics. I was on Risperidone for about a month before being switched to Zyprexa which made me gain 20+ pounds in one month!”

PoopyRisperdalPills · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone): “Hello this drug is very bad and not helpful. Still hallucinated on it. Blurry vision, restlessness, does not make you tired, brain pain?!, motor control malfunctioning, difficulty thinking on it, lack of emotion on it. Please don't take this "medicine". Very bad. Does not work.”

Sean · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone): “This med did not work for me. Did not help my thinking. Still felt depressed. Psychosis was still there. I was on it with other drugs too so that is probably why it didn't work. Also bad side effects too.”

sportay · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

“I had both good and bad effects. First off, risperidone made me feel less paranoid when driving and when being around people. I enjoyed that part as nothing else has worked for me in the area of paranoia yet. The awful side of it was nightly nightmares. And I don't usually get dreams or nightmares. But these were frightening and affected my mood for a while after awaking. The nightmares were absolutely frightening and I didn't look forward to sleeping at all. I changed to Geodon lately and we'll have to see where that leads me. have a great day.”

Geo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2019

“OMGoodness, terrible drug, fine for the first 6 months then anxiety, no sexual pleasure all gone, made me very tired, I lost all interest in life. suicidal, depressed, couldn't be bothered to brush my teeth when I woke up as I was to tired, I look and feel like a tramp it has turned me into a soap dodger, messes with the receptors in the brain, cigarettes, tea and coffee and fast food never tasted the same no buzz. I wake after 3 or 4 hours sleep and I am still having trouble with sleep staying up all night and sleeping through the day, I have been off it for 2 months now and I started getting ringing and piecing sounds in the ears after being off it for about 3 weeks and this could be permanent. Should ban this dangerous drug don't think I will be able to return to work. Best regards Lucky”

BazingaXDDDDDLAMO · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone): “Took two milligrams for one day. Nausea for several days. I actually broke down and cried for hours because it was the closest to torture I had been. I didn't really need it anyway.”

Metalstorm October 15, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone): “Absolutely horrible drug! I had worsened serious depression and severe akathisia from it. Agitation, irritability anxiety, aggression also came into play. I have tried many antipsychotics on the market and this one is by far the worst (Now on Quitepine and Abilify - much better!). No redeeming qualities whatsoever.”

mike · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2018

“horrible drug.”

Rollingstone April 14, 2018

“I’ve been on risperidone for 13 years now. I’m 31 now and I have a masters degree, and I have experience working at major corporations. I only had 2 relapses since 2005. In 2011 they put me on the depot injection after the first relapse and added escitolapram (I reached 25 that year). Now they took away the depot and replaced it with tablets and put me on flupenthixol depot and kept the escitolapram. So I’m still on it now. It caused weight gain (olanzapine level weight gain, which is partly why they the depot injection wasn’t worth it), gynecomastia (enlarged breasts) and ejaculatory dysfunction (I can still have sex just fine, it’s just that I don’t always ejaculate- the orgasm is the same) which is ok, since my sex drive dropped with the disease (I’m the depressive type). I don’t agree that it clouds your mind; severe mental illnesses come with cognitive impairments (such as disorganized thinking, tangential thoughts and mangled speech.”

moadej · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2018

“Definitely worked as a PRN, got heavily sedated I slept through a whole day, but apart from the sedation I had no other effect. I initially started on 0.5mg and that did nothing, so we tried it a second time and I got up to 4mg. Did nothing for the depression and only made the voices a little bit quieter. Quite a bit of weight gain, tremors, PERMANENT prolactin increase and the sedation messed with my schedule. I would say not worth it but it works really well for some people.”

shahnila fah · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 26, 2017

“I used 1 mg resperidone for about 2.5 years daily and hallucinated voices removed. From last year , real voices was vanished but I felt that some one is doing telepathy on my mind and talking to me in two and three different voices. They talk only negative thing about me that something bad is going to happen. However , Resperidone tablet is not able to treat me completely. I removed this medicine from last five month and problem started again. I gained weight from 45kg to 57 kg . Even now , I eat very less but resperidone do increase your weight. Its life time medicine for auditory and visual hallucination. There is no permanent treatment for hallucination. I wish medical science developed enough to treat schizophrenia.”

8BitHero · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 15, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): “I've been on this for three years and love it. No delusions, no paranoia. Side effects are non existent for me. No weight gain. I'm never tired. I sleep 6-7 hours of sleep each night and feel fine. Since being on Risperdone I've run two half marathons, work 40 hours per week and haven't had symptoms in over a year.”

phoebe60 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2017

“My mother was prescribed risperidone for a mood disorder at 81. It was a god send, she was a nuisance living on her own in the community and thought she was in witness protection for something she couldn't really explain. It settled her down and made her more approachable. The only problem was she didn't sleep and used to call out to the staff all night and disturb everyone. She still has her good and bad days, but overall it was beneficial and we can reason with her these days, where prior she would just tell us all to get knicked.”

ks2012ks · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2017

“Works ok! 6 months later I am still taking it and the side-effects slowly disperse. 6 months later though I feel like I need something else for the voices...”

Munshkin · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 1, 2016

“The shrink prescribed Risperdal 3mg a day then had me come off it. I had withdraw symptoms of fear and panic attack so I overdose and took 20 pills of 3mg then started hallucinating then attempted suicide but arrested by police. They did a procedure in hospital while pass out.”

Snickerdoodlephoniex October 6, 2016

“This mediation made me sicker, never fall for the lies, it gave my hallucinations when I never had them. Bad choice doctor.”

lounee · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2016

“I took this medicine for 2 weeks now.I am feeling much better with no episodes of mania.But I have terribly sleepy with this med as i take it twice daily..I am thinking to just take it at night..it might work better then”

Likely story · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 9, 2016

“Drug worked getting rid of psychosis but made it hard to think or function. I was sectioned for two months for severe psychosis, was put on it for 2 years. Have now been off it for 3yrs and no signs of psychosis since leaving hospital so almost stable for 5years so I would have to say it was a success. However could not function fully until I came off it due to the severe brain fog it causes.”

JediBill · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 4, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone): “I have been on this medication longer than any other medication I have ever been on. Its been four and a half years, mostly on and I feel like this medication let me sleep better than all other medications I had been on until Saphris. I gained weight, but not too much about 25 pounds over the course of four and half years. I am a man, and I have noticed enlargement of the breasts development of female breast tissue. I'm coming off Risperidone now and I will see what the withdrawal effects are. Last time I came off meds I had a manic episode which was quite embarrassing. I held a job at Walmart for 2 and a half years. I would say though that the biggest drawback is its effect on diminishing the user's willpower.”

CakePop · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2016

“My experience with this med so far has been good, 2 weeks on 2mg. My anxiety is already way down, and the vivid, intrusive thoughts are not quite as bad. My sleep is also much better. It makes me very relaxed and drowsy about an hour after I take it, and I wake up a bit groggy, but coffee gets me going. No problems with sex which is good. I have also experienced a loss of appetite and have lost some weight (I am overweight so this is good). So yeah, losing weight, still have libido and much better sleep. Wish it could go just as well for everyone. Only side effect is a stuffy nose for a few hours after I take it, but I can handle that. First few days were a bit scary as I felt like I had been given a tranquilizer dart lol.”

Ughughvom March 17, 2016

Risperdal M-Tab (risperidone): “The first time I took risperidone I became extremely drowsy which made me a bit nervous but the drowsiness went away after the first three days. I also had horrendous nightmares so I switched to taking it in the morning and the nightmares went away. On the positive side my auditory and visual hallucinations completely went away immediately which enabled me to make it to therapy more frequently and sleep more often and slowly over years build up a healthy and stabilizing lifestyle. It also helped with increasing my attention and memory. I noticed some weight gain and slightly lower libido. I have taken it regularly for a couple years and weened off it. I have now been off for two and a half years with almost zero returning symptoms.”

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 21, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone): “Beware of side effects! This medication caused Sexual side effects. Unless you are a Man who doesn't mind not being able to have ejaculation in the bedroom, don't mind growing breasts when you are a Man!, and don't mind gaining weight, DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION.”

Kiki227 February 19, 2016

“I've been taking this medication for three weeks as an addition to my other antipsychotics. I've always had debilitating anxiety all my life. Nothing has ever made a difference. This medication did. I'm taking .50 mg at night. I feel less motivated during the day, but my anxiety has significantly decreased. I'd like a bit more energy, but it's a welcomed trade off for my anxiety.”

shock1992 September 15, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): “I gained 100 pounds or more . I developed diabetes, and chronic kidney disease. I also could not keep my hands for moving, and at night my feet would twirl. I chose to stop using risperdal and withdrawal was horrible. The medicine did wonders for my mental health, but the side effects was worse than my schizophrenia.”

Anonymous June 27, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): “I was prescribed risperdal about 6 months ago cause I suffer from schizophrenia and anxiety but am afraid of side affects also the doctor gave me celexa. Plus I suffer with seizures drinking tegretol and many others meds I decided to give it a try for my family sake I had my first pill wishing things will work out just wanted to know Am I on the right track or is there something I should know before I expirience the unknown”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)