User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Autism.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Autism

"My son is autistic, diagnosed when he was 3. Until then he looked a "normal child". He started taking Risperdal at 5 (1mg/day)and was the most efficient drug he experimented to calm down and avoid aggressive fits. Now, at 20 Years old, he takes 4-6 mg Risperidone a day, but he is tall and strong, weights 82 kg. The only problem is that he has epilepsy and Risperidone reduces the effect of Tegretol. We found out that we hav)e to give him the dose of Tegretol first and only after 20minutes give risperidone, He started a complement which is Diazepine (only if needed) and Olanzapina (3mg)- which is more effective and can even be a susbstitute for resperidone but seems to have more side effects (he speaks less and feels morning drowsiness)"

Ana B (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

"My 9 year old son, who has autism, was put on risperidone about a year and a half ago after being hospitalized for aggressive and self-harming behavior. It has been very effective with the violent behavior. He is still quite argumentative and has tantrums and meltdowns occasionally but it's much better. The main side effect was weight gain due to his increased appetite. He was always famished! He gained 8-10 pounds in 2 months which is alot for a 7 year old. The Vyvance that he takes for adhd is supposed to suppress his appetite but it wasn't enough to outweigh what the risperidone was doing. After a few months his dr put him on metformin. It did the trick. He lost his added weight. The Vyvance/metformin combo balanced out the risperidone."

Overwhelmed Mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

"Son is 7 and has Aspergers and ADHD and from 2.5 years of age suffered from terrible tantrums. Also can be highly volatile and aggressive. Has been taking concerta for just over a year. Initially the Ritalin helped to calm him but the aggression remained and the rebound effects were awful as the Ritalin wore off. I refused to give more Ritalin as my boy became underweight and had trouble falling asleep. We have been taking risperadone for only three weeks and a lot of the aggression has gone. He is having better, calmer days at school and appetite is increasing. He still takes a minimum dosage of concerta."

MumOf1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

"Our Son is 23 and put on 0.25 micrograms of Risperdal twice a day in September 2005, due to not being able to get a prescription for 0.25. we were splitting the 0.5 tablet in half. this was ok as the prescribed medication had a line in the middle. Our son did seem to be calmer at first. Our son was in a residential home during the week and returned home weekends. After going to collect him a few weeks ago, we were so shocked as he seemed all over the place, getting stuck saying one word, jerky movements of upper limbs. it was heart-breaking. We then noticed the brand of Risperdal had changed and they were a dark red tablet. We then realised this tablet should have never been divided. The GP advised us to stop the medication."

Gingernuts (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

"LIFECHANGING for our son and our family!"

WilliamsMum (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

"He's good at school but bouncing off wall after school real restless"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have recently started my 25 yo son with autism Risperdal. He has taken it when he was 13, but due to the combination of anti depressants and no improvement in his violent behaviour we stopped, but he did improve verbally. After he refused to take anti depressants after 9 months of treatment with improvement made, he deteriorated over the next 7 months, We insisted he try Risperdal, immediate improvement, 3 weeks in and he is more verbal and calmer with no more aggression. He is sweet and happier again."

LRS179 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

"My son is almost 7 and is moderately autistic, bipolar with aggression daily. He has been on Risperdal 0.5mg once daily for two weeks and I'm still having a great deal of problems at home. He hits and throw things! Very destructive! Is his dose not high enough or do I just need to be more patient with the medicine."

Nola erpsamer November 10, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication."

Joejoe78 August 23, 2014

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Caused hyperactivity and cause me to gain weight and develop breasts."

cinradd July 25, 2014

"My son was put on this mediicne when he was ten, he is autistic and was showing signs of schizophrenia. He was on 1.5mg but now has 1 mg daily. It worked wonders within two weeks. He is now not withdrawn and anxious and back to his happy self. He also doesn't imagine things that didn't happen. He did put on a few kilos when he started the medication but now is tall and slim."

Deb02 July 19, 2014

"It has calming effects that very scary at first. I was not used to a calm child, but it definitely works."

shellyann May 28, 2014

"I put my 22 yr old autistic son on risperidone 6 months ago and what a transformation.! After yrs of pleading with doctors to put my son on this medication I'm finally relieved hes now on it as he is a completely different person. He used to be extremely violent, throwing, hitting out, biting his arm severely, he was a massive liability, but 6 mths on what a difference, he doesn't do any of these things anymore thanks to risperidone. However, on the downside this medication has caused him to gain weight and makes him tired, he also doesn't show much emotion with activities where things can be an effort for him, seems quite disinterested in things, I would much rather him be how he is now than how he was before he started taking risperidone."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 18, 2014

"My autistic 15 year old son was extremely violent. I had to take him into the hospital 3 times in a 24 hour period..he was prescribed a few different medicines but none worked, except this one. He is himself, without aggression, irritability. I immediately notice he could wait and concentrate. It is a God send."

michelle angela December 18, 2013

Risperdal (risperidone): "My 4 year old takes 0.5mg dissolvable tablets twice a day. It has helped a little with sleep, but more with aggression. The pharmacy changed it to a off name brand, he's aggression got 3 times worse. He's doctor switched it to name brand and he was back to normal. I was told that this is common with some off brands. We can't believe there's that big a difference."

Dad2 September 26, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My youngest son has taken it for meltdowns for some time now. He sleeps better too. It has caused him to gain some weight. My oldest son was on ADHD medication for years, when he reached puberty it caused many problems. So the Doctor prescribed risperidone for him too, and it has helped him gain so much self control. They are both in high school and doing well."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2013

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son is almost 4 he is autistic and his violent rage got completely out of control his pediatrician perscribed Risperidone for him about a week ago and so far the results have been mind blowing. He is on 1mL once daily he has had minimal side effects (tremors, fatigue) however the aggression, outbursts, meltdowns and violence has ceased completely. He is also non-verbal and I do not know if this medicine is a contributing factor but in the last week alone my son has started repeating words and even sang his ABC's out of no where. This has been a God send for us!"

BrittC (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2013

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My son has high functioning autism, obsessive compulsive disorder, aggression disorder, and sensory issues. He was diagnosed at age 3. He started Risperidone soon after his diagnosis. It worked wonders for 6 months or so. His behaviors and meltdowns were better but it did not help with the OCD. After 3 months we had to increase the dose and his symptoms started to get worse gradually. Then at 6 months he started to tell us he had ants crawling on him and his heart was beeping. He went through heart tests and they were fine. The doctor said that the medicine was causing him to see things and maybe have anxiety to have rapid heart rate. He was taken off and put on Prozac which didn't help and now he's on Zoloft and Abilify which aren't doing anything."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2012

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son was put on Risperidone when he was three and half years old. It has helped him some, but he was is still extremely aggressive and would take off running out into road and parking lots. So, his psychiatrist said he had to put in psych. ward to try new medicine. They upped his risperidone to 0.50mg twice a day and added Depakene 205mg. twice a day. He's still very aggressive and out of control and moody. He's only 5 and in 12 more inches he's going to be as tall as me."

Anonymous September 27, 2012

"This has been the only medication that decreased my daughters aggression. She is a changed person, better able to focus and learn. She is also able to sleep at night. I do have to monitor her blood every few months. Her prolactin level is so high now she lactates. Always thirsty and hungry. Over heats easily and has dystonic reaction of eyes rolling back. The benefits still outweigh the risks at this point."

letty.in.tx March 26, 2012

Risperdal (risperidone): "My daughter has been on this for several years (started at 0.25mg, worked up to 0.5mg 2x a day) to help with mood/emotion, and to help her move past things when she gets emotionally "stuck" and there were times when I thought it wasn't really doing much. Then I couldn't get it refilled for a couple days, so she didn't have any before school. They noticed something was different. They called me to ask if there had been a medicine change. Sometimes, you think it isn't working, but at home, things are different than at school. No weight issues: 5', 98lbs."

Smurphette September 20, 2011

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son became aggressive when he hit puberty (age 11), so the psychiatrist put him on this. For the first 2 months I was happy with the results. But his aggression started increasing, and he became extremely aggressive over the next year. His psychiatrist attributed it to rising male hormones and kept increasing the dosage, until my son was on 8 mg/day. I finally had to have my son hospitalized, as he was a danger to me and others. I was fed up, so I changed psychiatrists. She prescribed Abilify, but it took weeks to wean my son off the Risperdal. However, once he was off it, he became the lovely boy he used to be. Every child is different, so keep that in mind!"

Anonymous June 29, 2011

112 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "This medication was given to my son by a ARNP who swears by it. My son cries for no reason, does not help him sleep but makes him eat like a bear, and he is argumentative about everything whenever he takes this. He needs help sleeping but there has got to be something else more effective for him with less side effects."

1tiredmom April 4, 2011

"My son is four years old and was put on risperidone. His behavior is so much better. We're not having anymore violence, screaming, biting, hitting, kicking, and throwing things. In general, he is more compliant when asked to do something, like get dressed. I might add that he has started doing this weird thing, and it has to be associated with the medication because it started at exactly the same time. He takes an excessive amount of baths. He can go about 15 minutes in between each one. He is up to about 40 baths a day. He doesn't wash, he just likes the feeling of being wet. We can definitely handle it though. It's a lot better than the violence that we were experiencing. It's just a weird side effect."

Has greatly helped January 31, 2011

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son was put on 0.25mg when he was just 4 years old. It has helped him but he is weighing 72lbs (now 7 years old) and his sugar is up. Now we are on the hunt for a replacement. At least it helped us for 3 years. My son has PDD."

Anonymous June 21, 2010