User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Autism.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Autism

"My son has ADHD with average hyperactivity. He don't concentrate much and starts hyperactivity after watching TV and mobile games or cartoons. He was taking risperidone for 1 month and when we stopped we found that hyperactivity increased a lot. Now should we continue medicine or stop because there will a situation in future that we will stop giving him medicines and at that time what will happen to him."

Mayank1984 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son has Autism Severe learning disabilities. I really didn't want him on any medication, cause of side effects. But my son was having such bad meltdown's of past abuse with his respite and school, He would punch hard his both ears and face, head, throw smash things, I have tried to stop him and he's attacked me punched me and scammed me. It's very upsetting seeing your son having meltdowns My son was put on respiritone 0.5mg one in morning and one evening I can honestly say he's never been so calm, concentration is amazing, it's taken his anxiety away He's much better in crowds when walking, when he's out and about he's fine with noises he couldn't cope before like noisy bikes children screaming. Calm, talks more sentences FAB!!!"

Chrisy53 August 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My grandson started on risperidone when he was four years old. He was having difficulties at daycare very violent and aggressive and hurting himself and others. The drug was a lifesaver he was able to function and get along with others and become more productive. We did try to take him off a few months ago and everything came back. We tried Abilify and that did not work at all so we put them back on the Risperidone 2 weeks later is a much happier child I definitely recommend it!"

Grandma and Mom June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Honestly this medication was awful and the doctor who prescribed it failed to mention that it made it impossible to think. I think it's abusive to give this medication out for people who are not schizophrenic. It's just another way for people to take away autonomy and to force us autistic people into harmful therapies that deny us our humanity."

batch (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son is autistic he is 10 years old, my son's Dr recommend risperdal for him because of his aggressive behaviors. After 3 months on the medication he has been more agitated and he put on 15 pounds. So the Dr wants to increase the medicine. I will not be doing this increased"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son is high functioning autistic. His behavior specialist recommend risperdol .05mg daily for my son for aggression and violent out bursts. After being on it for a week we noticed that he is much calmer. We have noticed some side effects such as. Hyper attentiveness, nightmares, muscle spasms and itchiness."

G-man's mom (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Our 13 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD and OCD at age 6. He is now 13 and in full blown puberty. Prozac and Focalin were no longer working for him. We went to a top pediatric psychiatrist and he changed our sons diagnosis to Aspergers or now High Functioning autism. He prescribed Risperdal and told us this medication would act like "glue" and keep all the connections in his brain together. 3 days later we were in the emergency room because our son was suffering with severe dystonia. It was the scariest thing I ever witnessed. We are now working with a pediatric neurologist to find a medication that will work for him."

Doodsmom (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son is autistic, diagnosed when he was 3. Until then he looked a "normal child". He started taking Risperdal at 5 (1mg/day)and was the most efficient drug he experimented to calm down and avoid aggressive fits. Now, at 20 Years old, he takes 4-6 mg Risperidone a day, but he is tall and strong, weights 82 kg. The only problem is that he has epilepsy and Risperidone reduces the effect of Tegretol. We found out that we hav)e to give him the dose of Tegretol first and only after 20minutes give risperidone, He started a complement which is Diazepine (only if needed) and Olanzapina (3mg)- which is more effective and can even be a susbstitute for resperidone but seems to have more side effects (he speaks less and feels morning drowsiness)"

Ana B (taken for 10 years or more) June 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 9 year old son, who has autism, was put on risperidone about a year and a half ago after being hospitalized for aggressive and self-harming behavior. It has been very effective with the violent behavior. He is still quite argumentative and has tantrums and meltdowns occasionally but it's much better. The main side effect was weight gain due to his increased appetite. He was always famished! He gained 8-10 pounds in 2 months which is alot for a 7 year old. The Vyvance that he takes for adhd is supposed to suppress his appetite but it wasn't enough to outweigh what the risperidone was doing. After a few months his dr put him on metformin. It did the trick. He lost his added weight. The Vyvance/metformin combo balanced out the risperidone."

Overwhelmed Mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Son is 7 and has Aspergers and ADHD and from 2.5 years of age suffered from terrible tantrums. Also can be highly volatile and aggressive. Has been taking concerta for just over a year. Initially the Ritalin helped to calm him but the aggression remained and the rebound effects were awful as the Ritalin wore off. I refused to give more Ritalin as my boy became underweight and had trouble falling asleep. We have been taking risperadone for only three weeks and a lot of the aggression has gone. He is having better, calmer days at school and appetite is increasing. He still takes a minimum dosage of concerta."

MumOf1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Our Son is 23 and put on 0.25 micrograms of Risperdal twice a day in September 2005, due to not being able to get a prescription for 0.25. we were splitting the 0.5 tablet in half. this was ok as the prescribed medication had a line in the middle. Our son did seem to be calmer at first. Our son was in a residential home during the week and returned home weekends. After going to collect him a few weeks ago, we were so shocked as he seemed all over the place, getting stuck saying one word, jerky movements of upper limbs. it was heart-breaking. We then noticed the brand of Risperdal had changed and they were a dark red tablet. We then realised this tablet should have never been divided. The GP advised us to stop the medication."

Gingernuts (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"LIFECHANGING for our son and our family!"

WilliamsMum (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"He's good at school but bouncing off wall after school real restless"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have recently started my 25 yo son with autism Risperdal. He has taken it when he was 13, but due to the combination of anti depressants and no improvement in his violent behaviour we stopped, but he did improve verbally. After he refused to take anti depressants after 9 months of treatment with improvement made, he deteriorated over the next 7 months, We insisted he try Risperdal, immediate improvement, 3 weeks in and he is more verbal and calmer with no more aggression. He is sweet and happier again."

LRS179 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son is almost 7 and is moderately autistic, bipolar with aggression daily. He has been on Risperdal 0.5mg once daily for two weeks and I'm still having a great deal of problems at home. He hits and throw things! Very destructive! Is his dose not high enough or do I just need to be more patient with the medicine."

Nola erpsamer November 10, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication."

Joejoe78 August 23, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Caused hyperactivity and cause me to gain weight and develop breasts."

cinradd July 25, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son was put on this mediicne when he was ten, he is autistic and was showing signs of schizophrenia. He was on 1.5mg but now has 1 mg daily. It worked wonders within two weeks. He is now not withdrawn and anxious and back to his happy self. He also doesn't imagine things that didn't happen. He did put on a few kilos when he started the medication but now is tall and slim."

Deb02 July 19, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has calming effects that very scary at first. I was not used to a calm child, but it definitely works."

shellyann May 28, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I put my 22 yr old autistic son on risperidone 6 months ago and what a transformation.! After yrs of pleading with doctors to put my son on this medication I'm finally relieved hes now on it as he is a completely different person. He used to be extremely violent, throwing, hitting out, biting his arm severely, he was a massive liability, but 6 mths on what a difference, he doesn't do any of these things anymore thanks to risperidone. However, on the downside this medication has caused him to gain weight and makes him tired, he also doesn't show much emotion with activities where things can be an effort for him, seems quite disinterested in things, I would much rather him be how he is now than how he was before he started taking risperidone."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 18, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My autistic 15 year old son was extremely violent. I had to take him into the hospital 3 times in a 24 hour period..he was prescribed a few different medicines but none worked, except this one. He is himself, without aggression, irritability. I immediately notice he could wait and concentrate. It is a God send."

michelle angela December 18, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "My 4 year old takes 0.5mg dissolvable tablets twice a day. It has helped a little with sleep, but more with aggression. The pharmacy changed it to a off name brand, he's aggression got 3 times worse. He's doctor switched it to name brand and he was back to normal. I was told that this is common with some off brands. We can't believe there's that big a difference."

Dad2 September 26, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My youngest son has taken it for meltdowns for some time now. He sleeps better too. It has caused him to gain some weight. My oldest son was on ADHD medication for years, when he reached puberty it caused many problems. So the Doctor prescribed risperidone for him too, and it has helped him gain so much self control. They are both in high school and doing well."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son is almost 4 he is autistic and his violent rage got completely out of control his pediatrician perscribed Risperidone for him about a week ago and so far the results have been mind blowing. He is on 1mL once daily he has had minimal side effects (tremors, fatigue) however the aggression, outbursts, meltdowns and violence has ceased completely. He is also non-verbal and I do not know if this medicine is a contributing factor but in the last week alone my son has started repeating words and even sang his ABC's out of no where. This has been a God send for us!"

BrittC (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son has high functioning autism, obsessive compulsive disorder, aggression disorder, and sensory issues. He was diagnosed at age 3. He started Risperidone soon after his diagnosis. It worked wonders for 6 months or so. His behaviors and meltdowns were better but it did not help with the OCD. After 3 months we had to increase the dose and his symptoms started to get worse gradually. Then at 6 months he started to tell us he had ants crawling on him and his heart was beeping. He went through heart tests and they were fine. The doctor said that the medicine was causing him to see things and maybe have anxiety to have rapid heart rate. He was taken off and put on Prozac which didn't help and now he's on Zoloft and Abilify which aren't doing anything."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2012