User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"I switched from seroquel to risperidone 6 months ago. I had gained 100lbs over 10 years on seroquel, and have lost about 20lbs so far since switching. My constant rage and aggression are gone, it's great not to be furiously psychotic all day. On the minus side I can't get enough sleep, I have no motivation or energy and depression has spiked. I may try an antidepressant along with risperidone and a smaller dose (I started on 2mg, just cut to 1.5 and would like to get to 1mg or under) I tried going from 2mg to 1mg previously on my own and it was hell - massive anxiety and depression."

Mikey's Brain May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take it for PTSD and severe anxiety. It's a life-saver for me. I sleep like a baby bear. I have no more instrusive thoughts. It increases my self-esteem and life is fun for once. It didn't just give me my life back. It's given the life I never had due to 20 plus years of refusing treatment because I thought I could do it on my own through exercise, diet, and positive thinking. The only side-effect I have is regret from not taking it sooner."

Scottyblsddggffcbbbb. May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"on this drug for about 4yrs went from 155 to almost 300 lbs in 4 yrs it attacks the kidneys and you fill up with water off it now lost about 60 lbs in 8months"

scott001 June 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me want to try suicide"

wreane May 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has significantly reduced anxiety, panic attacks and flashback symptoms, it has also made it possible for me to try and and work on the causes without being completely overwhelmed all the time. When I first started it, and also when I increased my dosage I slept about 18 hours a day for a week and a half, but after that my sleep went back to normal 8 hours or so, and I stopped feeling exhausted all the time."

anon42 August 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine works amazing for intrusive thoughts and irritability. I feel NORMAL. The weight gain in the only downfall. I use this in addition to my Zoloft and its the perfect combination."

Rylin December 7, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I have nightmares all night long every night and very angry and annoyed with everybody and everything. I am perfectly fine at times and then will suddenly freak out for no reason. I have only been on risperdone for 5 days now, but have noticed that I am able to sleep soundly at night and the mood swings have stabilized. However, I am feeling very sedated all day and find it hard to get out of bed in the morning. I can't seem to sleep enough. My anger issues are also still there, but I am hoping they will subside in time. Unfortunately, my appetite is insatiable! I've already gained 6 pounds!! I'm already a heavy person and am worried I will eventually need to be removed with a fork lift!"

annaleigh24 (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have found that this medication has few side effects compared to the daily and nightly suffering I have endured since being diagnosed. My panic has decreased, my thoughts are within my control, I have much better sleep and dreams, and my appetite has increased. I had a very low appetite when I was experiencing panic attacks and flashbacks and enjoy that it has giving me an appetite. I make healthy food choices and am very active and have not experienced a lack of motivation or energy. I know it has a half life and feel the only addictive qualities I have experienced would be psychological. I am hoping once I learn my triggers and reprocess the traumatic events that I will be able to eventually manage without it, but for now it is a God send."

Milestriano (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have been on this medication for a year. I have had post traumatic stress disorder for 12 years. This medication has caused significant changes in my daily life living with PTSD. I have been able to go out and shop talk to people etc."

cb1120 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 24, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Risperidone has a noticeable effect on my post traumatic stress disorder and also on my rage. The only real problem I have is weight gain. I read the reviews as soon as I was prescribed the medicine and I thought, "How hard can it be to keep my weight under control?" Answer...very hard! I've gained about 20 pounds. My pants are very uncomfortable trying to stuff all my fat into pants designed for a smaller waist size. Next Drs. visit I will see about other options."

BobStocking July 11, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 12 year old son was placed on this medication, 0.5 mg at night and later we added 0.5 mg in the morning. After 5 months on the medication he had gained a lot of weight. He had always been physically fit and active. The medication flattened his mood, he lost interest in activities and it did not help his rages. We stopped the medication and now a month later we have our son's spark back. He is happier and more active. At some point his post traumatic stress disorder/anxiety will trigger and we will have another rage but in the meantime we have a much happier, loving child. The only downside of quitting Risperdal is his lack of focus for school work."

Anonymous April 18, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"PROS: This medicine literally saved my life. My thoughts no longer race. I don't dwell on past events 24 hours each day. I sleep 4-6 hours a night, instead of 2-4 hours. Panic attacks are a lot less frequent and intense. It saved my marriage, renewed my self-worth, and I have hope of a future again. Cons: If I miss a dose, I know it right away. I really have to watch my diet or I gain weight like crazy; everything tastes amazing. Migraines have increased."

MuchBetterNow January 30, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has helped me. I can think more clearly but the side effect of my appetite is definitely increased. I already need to cut back."

Anonymous October 17, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Both my boys have been taking Risperidal. My eldest for about 1.5yrs and my younger boy for about 6 months. This medication has been excellent to reduce their aggression, however my biggest concern is that they both have gone from being around the 5th percentile for weight for age (underweight) to 81st and 93rd percentile for weight (very overweight). This itself has caused problems."

Anonymous July 29, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Risperdal worked wonders on my psychotic symptoms of hearing voices. It worked quickly, after the state counselor ordered me to be hospitalized for my condition they gave me Risperdal and the voices were gone in two days, although they expected it to work after one day. I continued with this medication for a few years but after awhile I found myself sleeping the days away. The medication at this point needed to be switched. I'm very grateful for this medication for the time it was needed."

Anonymous June 26, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Used risperidone for PTSD in conjunction with two other scripts. Week one observations: day one nightmares as expected . As the week progressed dreams not getting to nightmare level. Agitation level/triggers decreased. On a down side, I feel sick like the flu or cold but co-workers have been passing it around so I suspect it is not due to the medication. I'll Re-post in a month or so."

Anonymous February 13, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I was prescribed the medication after my gastric bypass surgery for psychotic episodes. I take it at bedtime. It has truly changed my life. If I miss one dose it is very noticeable. The only side effect is a weight gain of about 6 pounds every four months. But is definitely worth it."

bigbeauty1970 November 20, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have PTSD with psychosis and for me this medicine was a blessing! I tried many different antipsychotics and a whole host of other medicines but Risperdal worked wonders for me. I have been symptom free (psychotic symptoms that is) for over three years now and the only time they returned was when I tried to switch to another drug. I went back to this one and no problems since. I take the twice a month intramuscular injection now only because it stops me from forgetting to take my medicine, and this drug has truly saved my life. I also never experienced any side effects from it; except for a slightly elevated prolactin level but it never gave me any problems."

Anonymous July 1, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from PTSD, in which I hear voices (psychotic symptoms due to PTSD, not schizophrenic). Been on this drug 6 months now. The risperidone doesn't completely get rid of the voices, but it significantly decreases them. I feel much calmer on this medication then I am without it. I don't recall any major side effects, nothing has bothered me enough to even notice it. A plus is also that it makes me sleepy for the first 12 hours or so, so it counteracts the Wellbutrin, which tends to keep me up at night and helps me get a good night's sleep. I did go off of it for a little while, and the withdrawal was very minimal. I had some increase in anxiety for about 4 days (I worried excessively about things I normally wouldn't worry about)."

joannes0 December 5, 2009