User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I started out on 1mg and have moved up to 5mg since having a recent mania with hallucinations. I'm still feeling manic and hearing music and sirens with paranoia. I wish my stability had returned with the steep increase in dose. I'm giving this only a 5 because I don't know yet if it's going to work for me."

BipolarLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on this medication at 0.5mg twice a day. Was only on it for a month and a half I gained 20 pounds I was hungry all the time and it raised my prolactin levels so high I started to lactate. This drug made me feel like a zombie I couldn't concentrate or had any desire for anything in like. I stopped taking this drug for only five days now and already I am starting to loose weight and feel some what normal again. Trying to try other methods to control my disorder without having to rely on drugs"

Elamp February 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "I left a review once before, but have to add to it. I took this medicine for awhile & it helped stabilize my mood. Everything was great, until one day I noticed I was secreting breast milk. The doctor checked my prolactin level & it was very high. It was in the 100's. I had to stop taking this medicine, which is unfortunate."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Not much relief with lots of side effects."

Ag50 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"great drug. mood has improved 100%. little to no side effects. I have been on different drugs for years This one works. If u are depressed have anger issuses, trouble sleeping this drug works. Finally after years of depression, mood swings and uncontrolled anger , I have found peace of mind"

jimmiebm December 28, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "Was only on 2mg of Risperdal for two months. While it did handle my moods and anger outbursts almost completely, it did nothing to help with insomnia, which should have been my clue that it was too activating for me. A month after starting this med I started having heart palpitations (I've never had a heart problem) that continued to get worse until I had been to the ER twice, family Dr once, with an appt scheduled with a cardiologist, legitimately thinking something major was wrong. Two dr's suggested that Risperdal could be causing it, so I began tapering. Two weeks later I am completely off the Risperdal, back on Zyprexa and my heart is fine now. Very scary for me."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "After going through my third manic episode I was prescribed 6mg of resperidal which immediately made me feel like an absolute zombie. I couldn't think clearly, was extremely tired all of the time l, and was unhappy. Through the course of about 4 months my dosage is now 1 mg and I don't feel the severe side effects. Good medicine in controlling the mania but in high dosages will make you feel like a zombie"

Tirp (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been diagnosed with bipolar mania in the past 2 weeks and I have been prescribed lithium and Risperdal. My symptoms are so much better! I am feeling much more balanced and am sleeping much better. I would recommend the care of a caring psychiatrist to aid in symptom stabilization and medication management."

Moxieg (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'd like to issue a warning to anyone using this medicine. Be aware that it can cause akathisia, a movement disorder characterized by extreme restlessness, the constant need to move, anxiety and severe dysphoria. I had no name for my problem, and it was difficult to describe. I consulted my doctor and described the basic symptoms but he told me that it was my bipolar disorder causing this problem, not the medicine. He proceeded to tell me that the medicine was simply becoming ineffective. A week or two after I stopped this drug I felt better. If you are prescribed this medication and experience ANY signs of akathisia (google it if you have to), be adamant with your doctor that the symptoms appeared after you started taking the medicine."

person1988 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "I was reckless my heart pounded and nose bled every day worst antipsychotic I have tried"

Fido hammerfist August 19, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal Consta (risperidone): "Worst experience on this drug!! Developed sciatica, gained fifty pounds on it and had my first gallstones flare up on it. Was on it for about six months. Beware!! Make sure whomever injects knows how to do it. Was in pain from the sciatica for about a year after discontinuing the drug."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "This was the WORST drug I have been on since I was diagnosed in 1998. I was on the injection for about six months, gained a lot of weight (50 pounds) and had a horrible gallstones flare up in which I was diagnosed with the condition (after fainting in public). I was put back on abilify and prefer the oral pill every day to the injection! One nurse didn't inject me correctly and I developed sciatica for longer than I was on the medication!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Risperidone a number of months ago after a psychotic episode. I'm prone to episodes of psychosis especially with very bad agitation, paranoia, and delusions and have been hospitalised before for this. I've been on Quetiapine, Olanzapine, Amisulpride, Clopixol (depot injection) and Clozapine. I am currently taking 3mg of Risperidone along wIth Venlafaxine. I take it before bed at night. It gives me a nice calm relaxed feeling and I find I can usually sleep better with less anxiety and voices at night. I don't suffer side effects and I think if people practice mindful eating and try to exercise a bit then they shouldn't gain weight, I haven't. I think this drug controls my symptoms well and stops mania."

Dayna01 July 16, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this medicine about 3 weeks ago and am on good terms. Before I was borderline bipolar where I would start getting depressed randomly which would lead to fights with my mom :(. It has helped!"

Catmarelio July 14, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have just started taking this medication and it numbs me to everything. Slight drooling from the mouth and a stiff tongue leading me to slurred speech. No manic thoughts, but it is hindering any effective behavior and motivation. Very difficult to do simple chores like pulling weeds and is very difficult for me to focus."

mneedshelp1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "My son took Risperdal for 8 years. Then developed Tardive Dyskinesia/Dystonia He had to have surgery to insert Deep Brain Stimulator to help control his movement disorder."

Cindymh2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "It def helped with my mania,I just feel slightly off on it but it has helped a lot I take this and celexa to help with my obsessing but the risperdal made me gain weight,I went from 120-125 to 140 I'm so unhappy bout the weight gain I'm going to try to switch medications&will come back to this if I have 2,trying 2 find something better but this def helped my mania and doesn't make me real tired like seroquel and abilify or almost pass out like geodon"

Steffy Stef (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "I am a White Female that was prescribed this med, and the results are pretty good. It is covered by my health insurance, filled at a local pharmacy, and given by a nurse that visits our home. I was concerned when I heard about side effects in others, although I feel well. I am over 21, and hopefully this was a good med for me and others. I am a nice girl, and thank you."

Miss Nicki (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "I took Risperdal (Resperidone) for about five years. It effectively managed my maina/hypomania and gave me no obvious side effects towards the beginning. Pros -Effectively worked -Helped with hypomania -Helped with mania Cons -Developed Hyperprolactinemia -From ^^^ i developed amenorrhea and weight gain -Mental Slowness (things were harder to learn and harder to remember) It's a good medication that worked for me, but I had unfortunate side effects. Everyone is different so don't automatically discount the drug if you are just starting it based on everyone else's experience. It DID work for me the way it was supposed to, but I also had side effects so I had to switch it. I'm giving it 8 out of 10 because it DID manage my BPD well."

ObjectiveReview (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this for mania in Bipolar Disorder. I can say that it helped with mania, but it did so in a way that was disabling in other parts of my brain. I could not be still with my feet, I always had an urge to move and shuffle my feet. I was always tired and exhausted despite getting 8+ hours of sleep. One side benefit, my nervous habits of picking my fingers, bouncing foot or biting at fingers was totally gone. This drug also caused some insomnia which required me to take another drug to help with sleeping. This is probably the worst drug I have tried in relation to Bipolar."

Manuel231 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Risperidone has been a life saver for me. I went through so many mood stabilizers, but nothing seemed to help with my mood swings. I would also experience horrible side effects from some of these medications. I was about ready to give up when my doctor suggested I try Risperidone. It improved my mood a LOT. I no longer experience those crazy mood swings & I haven't experienced any side effects or tremors either. I highly recommend this medication."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal Consta (risperidone): "I've been on this 8 months it seems okay took the pyschotic syptoms away but gettting palputations, body temprature issues too hot and too cold, eating a lot more, slowed my metabolism down, insomnia and flu type symptoms. I do feel 80% better than what I did just constant worry about possble side effects"

si1209 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been taking risperidone for about a month now. Haven't had any real bad side afects like a rash or nausea. I do get light headaches and irritability from time to time but the gain is greater with the medication. Been eating right and working out since I've read all the comments about gaining weight on this medicine. So far my weight is steady. I figured control it in the beginning is easier then trying to get it back down."

Chrystal530 January 5, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son was on this drug for years.. he now has tardive diskenesia after being taken off this horrible drug. DO NOT let young children take this drug. My son was given this drug because he was ADHD and was defiant at age 7. this drug fuelled 6 years of aggression, hospitalization, and learning disability. When the medication was stopped, he was in the hospital for a week with seizures . He will always be on meds for tics..and has permanent pupil dialation . Good news is , he has no behavioral issues and is an honor roll student"

t gibson (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Risperdal (risperidone): "It's helped my paranoia, delusions, irrational thoughts, and impulses to self-injure and commit suicide more than anything else. Also helps control the hypomania because I'm not on a mood stabilizer. It just also makes me extremely tired and sedated and I'm constantly hungry and have gained a lot of weight on it. I've fluctuated in my dosage from 3 milligrams to as low as 0.5. Currently taking 2 to 2.5 right now."

Invisiblecreeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 19, 2015