User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Risperidone Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Bipolar Disorder

"after taking quetiapine for 2 years, changed psychiatrist who changed the medicine to sizodon , working well. The quetiapine was giving pain in joints and more lethargy than this one. Find this is better."

P (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have bipolar disorder, been hospitalised and prescribed risperidone 4mg. It made me very ill and extremely paranoid. Experienced more panic attacks. My legs and arms would go numb. I had such a bad experience on this, I currently am lithium now and finding this much better"

M (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

"Started Feb 2018 Help me so much Feel like a brand new person small dose at night now twice a day. Help me so much I'm thankful. I couldn't have done it without the help. I'm also having family therapy to talk about. The issue that bought me to seek help. Thank you. I recommended this."

tee tee February 28, 2018

"Took this for 2 months. Very sedative. Gained a lot of weight even though I ate less and exercise more. I hated it"

Anonymous February 26, 2018

Risperdal (risperidone): "I was hospitalized for major depressive disorder and placed on resperidone 1 mg and Celexa to combat depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts. My feelings are that resperidone made me feel like a zombie, caused my thinking to be slower and less clear. I put on 50 pounds in the course of 20 months on this medication and that is even with regular exercise. So I do not think resperidone is worth the terrible side effects that it brings. I am now on Zoloft and coming off resperidone completely."

EllaCB January 17, 2018

"There seems to have a lot of mitigated reviews about that med. I have rapid cycling bipolar 2. Tried Seroquel for 2 months a couple years ago which led me to crazy nightmares, persecution thoughts and the worse suicidal ideation. So I was very reluctant to try another medication in that class, but surprisingly risperidone works like a charm in stabilizing my moods. Racing anxious thoughts are reduced to a bare minimum, I can focus on enjoying the present moment but not elated hypomania, just confident and Zen. Crying spells have not happened since starting 1 month ago. Great nights sleep at 1mg at night combined with 10mg Lexapro in morning. Risperidone is a sunrise in my life."

Blue Ivy2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "Risperidone has really helped me. I used to be either depressed or manic. My thoughts are clear and my mood is stable now. I would like to mention that I have not gain a single pound on this drug. Always, always, always... take this right before you lay down at night to go to sleep. Take this pill, then lay down and go to bed. That way, you will sleep your way through the munchies. I take it as though it is a sleeping pill and it works for me.. I just wanted to share, in hopes that this will help someone else, struggling with weight gain."

Sweetmelissa5250 September 30, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "This medication gave me severe anxiety and disassociation-like feelings. I felt as if I was being dragged from reality. It was used as an antipsychotic for my bipolar disorder. I highly recommend you try Abilify instead if you have similar symptoms like I did."

kayyyyyyyy (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have been on Risnia/Risperdal for a few years now. Currently on a dosage of 2mg of the generic Risnia. As an answer to Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features this drug works wonders and I have been without relapse for 3 years now. My biggest frustration however is the weight gain. I have put on 8 kg during this time and I eat like a bird. I have tried a number of diets and exercise 3-4 times per week. My psychiatrist mentioned slightly decreasing the dosage every second day and see if that helps. I will try this as soon as I get a new script with 1mg pills. Can anyone recommend a good alternative?"

NormalLife (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "Saved my life. Was put on this in the hospital and my depression was out of the suicidal level in three days. About 5 days on it now and have had some recurring moderate depression, however my pdoc says it should take full effect in 2-4 weeks."

greenfish77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "This is ahorrid med. Made me hallucinate and tons of other stuff"

BentBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

"I got fat from zyprexa from 170lbs to 226lbs so I told my doctor, I am not taking anymore anti-psychotics. I was tired of being fat so I stopped but felt miserable and like dying of mental pain. I took adderall from another doctor and I went from 226 to 196lbs (she got mad) so she told me she was going to put me on risperidone she told me that 1mg is a very low does it shouldn't cause weight gain. So I took it for a month and my bi-polar was under control and felt better and normal but then people at work started telling me if I gained weight? So I went home and weighed myself and went from 196 to 210 so I gained 14lbs. I immediately stopped and told her I want something else so she gave me haloperidol. so am going to see what happens"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "This is the best medicine for sleep and having no manic problems. But I was 98 pounds (super tiny) now 203lb from risperdal. What is the point of being on something if it works for biploar but makes you obese?"

risperdalmakesufat (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have been taking this medication for about a year. I started off with 0.5 mg. I was still having some evening anxiety so I asked to be moved to 1 mg dosage. I still had occasional anxiety in the evenings, so I asked to be moved to 1-2 mg dosage. I find that moving up to a 2 mg dosage causes me some drowsy issues and I am currently tweaking it to where I need it. My anxiety is like nothing I have ever seen or heard anyone experience. I know there are other people out there that have the same issues. I think it helps stabilize my highs and lows. I am more a bipolar type 2 person, which means my depressions are slight and my hypo-mania is somewhat great because I feel I can take on the world."

David29303 June 18, 2017

"I was on this drug for 6 years. I experienced some serious side effects, such as somnolence and vivid nightmares, which at the beginning I wrote off as getting adjusted to the medications I was taking and coming to terms with everything that happened before my diagnosis (Bipolar II). Years went on and it didn't get better. About 3 years in, I started developing a tic. I went to my doctor to discuss coming off the medication, I started sliding back into a full relapse. My doctor advised that I should go back on the medication, which I did. Back in February of this year (2017) I was completely fed up with never feeling like I slept long enough, the nightmares, and the tic, and came off of it. I haven't felt better in a long time."

Radrach23 June 7, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "I'm not actually bipolar-I take it as an add-on to and SSRI for OCD, General Anxiety Disorder, and depression, but that wasn't in the categories offered. It works wonderful for this for me. My OCD is very much under control taking this in conjunction with Prozac-there are so many things I just could not do and was so afraid of because of the OCD before getting on Prozac and I could do even more after adding Risperdal to it. I take 2 mgs, but I usually take it a few hours before bedtime because it does make me drowsy. I haven't gained weight from it and really haven't had any side effects."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

"I started out on 1mg and have moved up to 5mg since having a recent mania with hallucinations. I'm still feeling manic and hearing music and sirens with paranoia. I wish my stability had returned with the steep increase in dose. I'm giving this only a 5 because I don't know yet if it's going to work for me."

BipolarLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

"I was on this medication at 0.5mg twice a day. Was only on it for a month and a half I gained 20 pounds I was hungry all the time and it raised my prolactin levels so high I started to lactate. This drug made me feel like a zombie I couldn't concentrate or had any desire for anything in like. I stopped taking this drug for only five days now and already I am starting to loose weight and feel some what normal again. Trying to try other methods to control my disorder without having to rely on drugs"

Elamp February 17, 2017

Risperdal (risperidone): "I left a review once before, but have to add to it. I took this medicine for awhile & it helped stabilize my mood. Everything was great, until one day I noticed I was secreting breast milk. The doctor checked my prolactin level & it was very high. It was in the 100's. I had to stop taking this medicine, which is unfortunate."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

"Not much relief with lots of side effects."

Ag50 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

"great drug. mood has improved 100%. little to no side effects. I have been on different drugs for years This one works. If u are depressed have anger issuses, trouble sleeping this drug works. Finally after years of depression, mood swings and uncontrolled anger , I have found peace of mind"

jimmiebm December 28, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone): "Was only on 2mg of Risperdal for two months. While it did handle my moods and anger outbursts almost completely, it did nothing to help with insomnia, which should have been my clue that it was too activating for me. A month after starting this med I started having heart palpitations (I've never had a heart problem) that continued to get worse until I had been to the ER twice, family Dr once, with an appt scheduled with a cardiologist, legitimately thinking something major was wrong. Two dr's suggested that Risperdal could be causing it, so I began tapering. Two weeks later I am completely off the Risperdal, back on Zyprexa and my heart is fine now. Very scary for me."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone): "After going through my third manic episode I was prescribed 6mg of resperidal which immediately made me feel like an absolute zombie. I couldn't think clearly, was extremely tired all of the time l, and was unhappy. Through the course of about 4 months my dosage is now 1 mg and I don't feel the severe side effects. Good medicine in controlling the mania but in high dosages will make you feel like a zombie"

Tirp (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

"I have been diagnosed with bipolar mania in the past 2 weeks and I have been prescribed lithium and Risperdal. My symptoms are so much better! I am feeling much more balanced and am sleeping much better. I would recommend the care of a caring psychiatrist to aid in symptom stabilization and medication management."

Moxieg (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

"I'd like to issue a warning to anyone using this medicine. Be aware that it can cause akathisia, a movement disorder characterized by extreme restlessness, the constant need to move, anxiety and severe dysphoria. I had no name for my problem, and it was difficult to describe. I consulted my doctor and described the basic symptoms but he told me that it was my bipolar disorder causing this problem, not the medicine. He proceeded to tell me that the medicine was simply becoming ineffective. A week or two after I stopped this drug I felt better. If you are prescribed this medication and experience ANY signs of akathisia (google it if you have to), be adamant with your doctor that the symptoms appeared after you started taking the medicine."

person1988 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016