User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Bipolar Disorder

Risperdal (risperidone): "Risperidone has really helped me. I used to be either depressed or manic. My thoughts are clear and my mood is stable now. I would like to mention that I have not gain a single pound on this drug. Always, always, always... take this right before you lay down at night to go to sleep. Take this pill, then lay down and go to bed. That way, you will sleep your way through the munchies. I take it as though it is a sleeping pill and it works for me.. I just wanted to share, in hopes that this will help someone else, struggling with weight gain."

Sweetmelissa5250 September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "This medication gave me severe anxiety and disassociation-like feelings. I felt as if I was being dragged from reality. It was used as an antipsychotic for my bipolar disorder. I highly recommend you try Abilify instead if you have similar symptoms like I did."

kayyyyyyyy (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have been on Risnia/Risperdal for a few years now. Currently on a dosage of 2mg of the generic Risnia. As an answer to Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features this drug works wonders and I have been without relapse for 3 years now. My biggest frustration however is the weight gain. I have put on 8 kg during this time and I eat like a bird. I have tried a number of diets and exercise 3-4 times per week. My psychiatrist mentioned slightly decreasing the dosage every second day and see if that helps. I will try this as soon as I get a new script with 1mg pills. Can anyone recommend a good alternative?"

NormalLife (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Saved my life. Was put on this in the hospital and my depression was out of the suicidal level in three days. About 5 days on it now and have had some recurring moderate depression, however my pdoc says it should take full effect in 2-4 weeks."

greenfish77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "This is ahorrid med. Made me hallucinate and tons of other stuff"

BentBlue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got fat from zyprexa from 170lbs to 226lbs so I told my doctor, I am not taking anymore anti-psychotics. I was tired of being fat so I stopped but felt miserable and like dying of mental pain. I took adderall from another doctor and I went from 226 to 196lbs (she got mad) so she told me she was going to put me on risperidone she told me that 1mg is a very low does it shouldn't cause weight gain. So I took it for a month and my bi-polar was under control and felt better and normal but then people at work started telling me if I gained weight? So I went home and weighed myself and went from 196 to 210 so I gained 14lbs. I immediately stopped and told her I want something else so she gave me haloperidol. so am going to see what happens"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "This is the best medicine for sleep and having no manic problems. But I was 98 pounds (super tiny) now 203lb from risperdal. What is the point of being on something if it works for biploar but makes you obese?"

risperdalmakesufat (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have been taking this medication for about a year. I started off with 0.5 mg. I was still having some evening anxiety so I asked to be moved to 1 mg dosage. I still had occasional anxiety in the evenings, so I asked to be moved to 1-2 mg dosage. I find that moving up to a 2 mg dosage causes me some drowsy issues and I am currently tweaking it to where I need it. My anxiety is like nothing I have ever seen or heard anyone experience. I know there are other people out there that have the same issues. I think it helps stabilize my highs and lows. I am more a bipolar type 2 person, which means my depressions are slight and my hypo-mania is somewhat great because I feel I can take on the world."

David29303 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this drug for 6 years. I experienced some serious side effects, such as somnolence and vivid nightmares, which at the beginning I wrote off as getting adjusted to the medications I was taking and coming to terms with everything that happened before my diagnosis (Bipolar II). Years went on and it didn't get better. About 3 years in, I started developing a tic. I went to my doctor to discuss coming off the medication, I started sliding back into a full relapse. My doctor advised that I should go back on the medication, which I did. Back in February of this year (2017) I was completely fed up with never feeling like I slept long enough, the nightmares, and the tic, and came off of it. I haven't felt better in a long time."

Radrach23 June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I'm not actually bipolar-I take it as an add-on to and SSRI for OCD, General Anxiety Disorder, and depression, but that wasn't in the categories offered. It works wonderful for this for me. My OCD is very much under control taking this in conjunction with Prozac-there are so many things I just could not do and was so afraid of because of the OCD before getting on Prozac and I could do even more after adding Risperdal to it. I take 2 mgs, but I usually take it a few hours before bedtime because it does make me drowsy. I haven't gained weight from it and really haven't had any side effects."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started out on 1mg and have moved up to 5mg since having a recent mania with hallucinations. I'm still feeling manic and hearing music and sirens with paranoia. I wish my stability had returned with the steep increase in dose. I'm giving this only a 5 because I don't know yet if it's going to work for me."

BipolarLady (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on this medication at 0.5mg twice a day. Was only on it for a month and a half I gained 20 pounds I was hungry all the time and it raised my prolactin levels so high I started to lactate. This drug made me feel like a zombie I couldn't concentrate or had any desire for anything in like. I stopped taking this drug for only five days now and already I am starting to loose weight and feel some what normal again. Trying to try other methods to control my disorder without having to rely on drugs"

Elamp February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I left a review once before, but have to add to it. I took this medicine for awhile & it helped stabilize my mood. Everything was great, until one day I noticed I was secreting breast milk. The doctor checked my prolactin level & it was very high. It was in the 100's. I had to stop taking this medicine, which is unfortunate."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not much relief with lots of side effects."

Ag50 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"great drug. mood has improved 100%. little to no side effects. I have been on different drugs for years This one works. If u are depressed have anger issuses, trouble sleeping this drug works. Finally after years of depression, mood swings and uncontrolled anger , I have found peace of mind"

jimmiebm December 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Was only on 2mg of Risperdal for two months. While it did handle my moods and anger outbursts almost completely, it did nothing to help with insomnia, which should have been my clue that it was too activating for me. A month after starting this med I started having heart palpitations (I've never had a heart problem) that continued to get worse until I had been to the ER twice, family Dr once, with an appt scheduled with a cardiologist, legitimately thinking something major was wrong. Two dr's suggested that Risperdal could be causing it, so I began tapering. Two weeks later I am completely off the Risperdal, back on Zyprexa and my heart is fine now. Very scary for me."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "After going through my third manic episode I was prescribed 6mg of resperidal which immediately made me feel like an absolute zombie. I couldn't think clearly, was extremely tired all of the time l, and was unhappy. Through the course of about 4 months my dosage is now 1 mg and I don't feel the severe side effects. Good medicine in controlling the mania but in high dosages will make you feel like a zombie"

Tirp (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been diagnosed with bipolar mania in the past 2 weeks and I have been prescribed lithium and Risperdal. My symptoms are so much better! I am feeling much more balanced and am sleeping much better. I would recommend the care of a caring psychiatrist to aid in symptom stabilization and medication management."

Moxieg (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'd like to issue a warning to anyone using this medicine. Be aware that it can cause akathisia, a movement disorder characterized by extreme restlessness, the constant need to move, anxiety and severe dysphoria. I had no name for my problem, and it was difficult to describe. I consulted my doctor and described the basic symptoms but he told me that it was my bipolar disorder causing this problem, not the medicine. He proceeded to tell me that the medicine was simply becoming ineffective. A week or two after I stopped this drug I felt better. If you are prescribed this medication and experience ANY signs of akathisia (google it if you have to), be adamant with your doctor that the symptoms appeared after you started taking the medicine."

person1988 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I was reckless my heart pounded and nose bled every day worst antipsychotic I have tried"

Fido hammerfist August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal Consta (risperidone): "Worst experience on this drug!! Developed sciatica, gained fifty pounds on it and had my first gallstones flare up on it. Was on it for about six months. Beware!! Make sure whomever injects knows how to do it. Was in pain from the sciatica for about a year after discontinuing the drug."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "This was the WORST drug I have been on since I was diagnosed in 1998. I was on the injection for about six months, gained a lot of weight (50 pounds) and had a horrible gallstones flare up in which I was diagnosed with the condition (after fainting in public). I was put back on abilify and prefer the oral pill every day to the injection! One nurse didn't inject me correctly and I developed sciatica for longer than I was on the medication!!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Risperidone a number of months ago after a psychotic episode. I'm prone to episodes of psychosis especially with very bad agitation, paranoia, and delusions and have been hospitalised before for this. I've been on Quetiapine, Olanzapine, Amisulpride, Clopixol (depot injection) and Clozapine. I am currently taking 3mg of Risperidone along wIth Venlafaxine. I take it before bed at night. It gives me a nice calm relaxed feeling and I find I can usually sleep better with less anxiety and voices at night. I don't suffer side effects and I think if people practice mindful eating and try to exercise a bit then they shouldn't gain weight, I haven't. I think this drug controls my symptoms well and stops mania."

Dayna01 July 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this medicine about 3 weeks ago and am on good terms. Before I was borderline bipolar where I would start getting depressed randomly which would lead to fights with my mom :(. It has helped!"

Catmarelio July 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just started taking this medication and it numbs me to everything. Slight drooling from the mouth and a stiff tongue leading me to slurred speech. No manic thoughts, but it is hindering any effective behavior and motivation. Very difficult to do simple chores like pulling weeds and is very difficult for me to focus."

mneedshelp1 (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016