User Reviews for Ziprasidone

Also known as: Geodon

Learn more about Ziprasidone.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder 1 reviews 13 medications

5.7
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 3 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Ziprasidone reviews 233 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Ziprasidone

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I warn you to be VERY careful with regards to this medication. I started taking it in July 2012, and was at one point up to 120 mg a day. ( I absolutely no longer see the "Dr" who had me on such a high dose) It caused me to suffer neurological damage that took over a year to correct itself. I had involuntary muscle movements, rocking motions, tremors, as well as having to learn how to walk again normally, as it caused marked damage to the left side of my body. I was treated with physical therapy twice for the condition this medication left my body in. It is just not worth it!!! Do your research, as I am sure you are, since you are in this forum. This medication is even more dangerous than desribed!!"

A Ny gal November 25, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "My Dr. switched me from Risperidone to Geodon because of weight gain. I had taken Geodon back in 2002 and didn't have any side effects that I can recall. However this time it was a nightmare. As soon as I started taking it I felt sick. The side effects I experienced: Sore throat, cough, sore throat glands, restlessness, acid indigestion, heartburn, belching, depression, rash on my neck, loss of appetite, back pain, joint pain, flatulence, hot flashes, insomnia, unable to stay asleep, exhausted. I was on it for 2 1/2 weeks. My Dr. told me to stop cold turkey. The withdrawal was hell. I was dizzy for a week, hot flashes, chills, shaking, nauseous, vomiting, terrible spasms in my thighs. It took about 8 days for me to feel better."

Jillypopcorn November 15, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Schizophrenia: "I have been on geodon for 6 years. It works great for me. Rispedal. made me sleepy and I couldn't think as clear. I have gained weight but due to other medication I was taking with it. My symptoms are almost all gone. I still have some paranoia but nothing like before I take a lot though 160 at night. My condition is very manageable I just wish I didn't have this problem and didn't have to take medicine just to function normally . Good luck to all you guys searching for help."

Momma Kim November 6, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "I have PTSD with psychosis and have switched from risperidone due to leaking breasts and loss of period. Seems to be working fine but I prefer to take meds at night then pass out which makes eating with geodon difficult. So far so good. My docs think it's my best chance to have a period again not that I can have any more children with all the drugs I take (clonazepam & sertraline also)."

Dorrito Queen (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Autism: "When I started taking this medication 4 years ago, I knew right then that it would be nothing but a colossal detriment to my well-being. That is why I have been off this medication for the last 3 years, and I would not recommend this medication to anyone!"

WTD81 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I will start off by stating I am a pharmacist so I have some additional knowledge to back my statements but also am on Geodon 100 mg total daily dose. First off, you must take with a meal (at least 400 calories) or else you're only getting about 40% of your dose. Secondly, it can cause drowsiness (or somnolence), however, I did not experience that myself. Also, you must be on a pretty solid dose to treat bipolar 1 so slowly increasing MAY be necessary to prevent side effects, and if that's the case you must be patient. It did take me a few days to get up to a dose I could tolerate and that did mean some extra days of hypomania, but it was worth it for the relief I feel now."

M Han (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Started this medicine about 2 months ago. The first week was hell, had to call and get the approval to cut from 80mg to 40mg at bedtime. I was falling asleep right after taking it. Couldn't stay awake for anything. After reducing to 40mg it's been wonderful. It's made my appetite almost non existent, which for me is nice. I currently take 600 mg 3x daily of Gabapentin, 20 mg of Lexapro in the am, 40 mg of Geodon at bedtime, and 0.5 mg of Ativan as needed. This combo for me, has saved my sanity! I finally feel somewhat normal (which has been life changing)."

Wishful_thinking (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "My daughter was prescribed this devil drug for some mood issues and heart irregularities. It went to a psychotic level and she had to get off the drug after two months. Caused massive heart problems, bleeding from the head, nose, throat and stomach, softball sized bruising that just appeared, migraines, psychosis, cramps in the hands that were unbelievable, massive blood pressure and diabetic fluctuations, false labour, blood clots, pneumonia, pericarditis and the toughest three weeks of our lives. My research shows so many people try to get off this drug and most do not. It is a 24 hour a day process, using massive medical support from people who care, and should be taken off the market except for its prime use which is schizophrenia"

VeryAngryDad September 30, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Although with side effects, this medication made my bipolar symptoms almost disappear. It works a little on my delusions. The side effects I have a tiredness, akathisia (internal restlessness) and muscle twitches. My hands especially tremble a lot. Overall it's worth it not be suicidal constantly."

Novemberwolf September 22, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have, very recently, started taking this medicine. The doctor seemed very adamant that it would set me straight and make me super tired and sedate as well, potentially helping treat my somniphobia as well as the bipolar. The medication has made me so manic that I am having mixed bipolar episodes and seriously feel like jumping out of my own skin. While I appreciate not being so depressed that I'm laying on the floor crying my eyes out, I do not enjoy jittering and being so amped up that I start screaming every time something frustrates me. I am so manic that it is surreal. So much for Geodon helping me out XD"

JessiMahtnarg September 20, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Schizophrenia: "I've been on geodon for about three weeks now. So far no side effects but it's diffcult to take with 500 calorie meals. I'm not much of a breakfast gal and find myself looking for food to take my medicine in the morning."

Opeeftl September 11, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I went on this drug because I was gaining too much weight on zyprexa. I've lost some weight so far but literally feel like shit everyday. Feel sick too my stomach and can barely keep my eyes open throughout the day. If I forget too take it I can't fall asleep and I've never had that problem with other meds."

Kylemarsh August 24, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm confused about comments. Do most bi- polar 1 patients find Geodon taken before sleep helps sleeplessness? I have been taking Geodon the last 6 months and weaned myself off of lithium. The only side affect I have with Geodon is sleeplessness. Is Geodon more effective taken in the evening? I see my Dr.in a month, I will bring up patient responses to Geodon,taken before bedtime. I'm willing to try! "

SuperB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Bad side effects!"

PostmodenistCupie (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Geodon changed my life. The first thing that happened was it was VERY sedating. Within an hour of taking it I was asleep so deeply that I could not be woken up no matter what happened. You could yell, shake me, nothing would wake me. I did not wake up groggy though and within 3 days my mind no longer raced and I started thinking clearly. As time went on the sedating effect lessened though it took a really long time. While I'm on it my brain just isn't mean to me and I sleep like a normal person. Tough to start as you need someone who can be with you in case there is an emergency because you will not be able to wake up or move for hours but it works. I wouldn't trade it for the world."

Rametteperegrine (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "Absolutely terrible. I had such bad side effects that I ended up back in the Psychiatric emergency room because I was having constant panic attacks from it. As soon as I was taken off the medication and switched to a different one, they stopped. They re-occur if I try taking the medication again, even once. It didn't even affect my schizophrenia symptoms."

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa August 16, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "i have been bipolar since the age of 21 im now 28 was put on zyprexa for 6 years changed this med because i was gaining too much weight im now 3 and half months on geodon in combination with zoloft all i can say this medication sucks it makes me more manic than ever my doc want me to try lithium i hope ill get better result... been sleeping 3 hours in the night for weeks this was the worst medication i have ever been and i only been on Zyprexa...i started on 80mg now im on 120mg dont reccomend dont try this drug!!!"

Bigbangaz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "This drug has me feeling dizzy drunk. I can tell its making me feel better. Im alot happier and not thinking so distorted. But the dizziness is awful."

Tamirenee August 13, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was in a very bad place at the time I started taking it. My doctor wanted to ween me off of Effexor after 7 years of 300mg of it. I'll tell you coming off the Effexor is like coming off hard drugs like heroine! I'm not sure if the Zeldox (what they call geodon in Canada) was helping or making it worse. I officially got off the effexor after 10 weeks of weening and I'm still currently on 80mg of Zeldox. I will say you have to eat with this med or else you're really only giving your body half of what you're putting in it. I'm a week into lithium at 600mg. I'm feeling fantastic, but I'm thinking about weening off of the Zeldox, I do not believe its being effective and I'm just getting negative side effects from it."

Denny0505 July 25, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Schizophrenia: "Been on it for nearly 2 months now and I Always take it at a time when I have a meal for best effect. No relapce . I do not gained psychosis when having Geodon. And I do not gain weight on it or feel to extremely hungry when having this. But i've got the same problem that actually occurs with those who having ADHD. Among the problems is lower memory and to shut down things that happens on the same time. Have someone else experience problems that remind of adhd on Geodon? AND my dreams on the nights is Not always something to be proud of or try to impress of. I have dream very sick dreams on Geodon. BUT it feels like I can be myself on it to still be the person who I really are. Geodon got 7 of 10. Still good. This is my experience on Geodon"

jerko (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "For Bipolar . This medicine was Very Dangerous to me. Within the first 2 weeks of being on 30 mg twice a day, I had 2 Seizures. Never have had a seizure in my 45 years of living. Had very bad hallucinations Rapid eye movement during the day, and was worse after any caffeine or cigarette. Had an episode while driving and could not control my actions, went off the road, thru a ditch and into a tree. 2 Fractured Vertabrae, many bruises, concussion. Stopped taking this drug. Thankfully I didn't kill anyone or myself. Finally 2 weeks after I stopped taking, I am finally getting a clear head. But still in Pain from the accident! Would NOT Recommend this Junk for anyone!!"

eggo (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I do not reccomended this AT ALL. Within a week of taking this, I started hallucinating and I got really bad akethesia. I was up for 3 days seeing things, hearing thinks, and I was even having tactile hallucinations. Most horrible experience I've ever had."

Rick LeClair (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was put on 80 mg twice a day. Couldn't handle that so I started taking both at night. I've been on for 4 years and THEN the side effects started bad dystonia in my legs, arms, and face. Also I was very depressed, felt hallow, and so snappy always yelling at my kids. No ability to cry (you know sometimes a good cry just helps). So I called my doctor and she cut it in half to 80. At first I had some mood swings but I have gotten them under control. Now I just ache all over and have bad headaches. But, on the lighter side, I feel much happier, not scared of people like I was before (because I was sure they were all talking about me and hated me). I haven't decided if I'm going to go off or compltley. Right now, I'm happy where I'm at."

john330 July 3, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am on lexapro, for depression, n buspar, for anxiety. My Dr added 40 mgs of geodon about 3 weeks ago, as a mood stabilizer... Well, it stabilized my mood, but at the most crazy manic level I've ever had. I sometimes worry myself into mania, which usually lasts about 3 days. Then I sleep it off, n I'm back to my mostly even keel self. Always anxious n slightly depressed, but functioning in the world... I did start this med in a manic phase, but to help calm me. It did not work. N my Dr is on vaca till next week... I've never posted to a forum b4, but I've never felt like this b4. I'm hoping for some insight from others. Has anyone else had this reaction? Please help."

Cali Mel June 28, 2016

Geodon (ziprasidone) for Schizophrenia: "20 mg twice per day, a total of 40 mg per day. Not hungry on it. On the contrary. Reduces appetite. take it at the same moment when I have a meal for best effect! No weight gain. No effect on metabolism. Stable blood sugar levels. Working ! I do not feel psychotic on it !"

Henkeboj (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016