User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Depression

"Bad experience. Psych used it to 'augment' mirtazapine. Wake feeling drugged and nauseous with headache, takes all day to feel able to function. Don't know if its the combo or just not right meds for me. He wants to try olanzapine next, I'm very reluctant. Need a better Dr I think."

Nothingworks (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It made me lose my drive in life. It was good initially for psychotic thoughts but I wouldn't recommend using it long term."

Butchcassidy91 May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It caused panic attacks on me. Terrible drug."

Maliceylan April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just got this new medication I think I need more professional help I'm new in this things some people think I'm crazy but I'm not! about this medication I need more information"

I thick i need more help December 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Inattentive ADHD, but at the time they were thinking that I have depression and gave me this + Fevarin, took them for about two monts. Results : Personality change, depersonalisation, my emotions are dumbed down, years have passed, it is better, but I still have the effects. Maybe it helps someone, but be careful, or you can end up like me. The thing I regret the most in my life..."

Hurrik December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken risperdal for 3 mos. on 3mg along with 50 mg Zoloft. It has been good so far but have had problems with not being sleepy, not being hungry, and being unable to orgasm"

Benhameen (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have OCD, GAD, panic attacks, depression. I was on respirdone several years ago at 2 mg and then 3 mg, and it worked great. I forget why I was taken off of it, but a little over a month ago, I was put back on it; however, I had to switch to name brand then because the generic of Risperdal was making me not be able to think and almost be in a trance. Now I am on 1 mg of brand name risperdal and it works very well for alll these problems (I also am on some other meds with it) but especially my OCD."

Anxietygirl74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking risperdal for 7 years now. The worst thing about it is the lack of motivation and the carelessness. I don't feel like waking up because I have no interest in life any more. I wake up when I feel like I have slept too much. I can't work on my projects (I am a web developer) I have no interest in working because I don't feel motivated and I feel tired after I work instead of satisfied. My sex drive has gone down dramatically. The best thing about this drug is that it doesn't make me feel down or sad all the time, in fact, I don't feel anything any more like a zombie, a living dead if you well. Don't take it unless you have to"

Farris The Saint February 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"my experience with risperdal started when I first started seeing my psychiatrist for about a year now. I first started with 1 mg for two weeks and then started taking 2 mg for a month, and then three for another month before my doctor prescribed me 4 mg for a month which I didn't finish because it was intense for me and it made me really somnolent and overall sleepy all the time. my mom asked him to get me back on 3 mg which I've been on for seven months now. the only flaw that this medication has is that it causes some severe weight gain, and I can't sleep without it. risperdal has initially helped with my bipolar depression, and has successfully put my racing thoughts to rest."

silentsirens September 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been of risperidone for about 2-3 years and now I have a prolactinoma. It could be a coincidence -- although I know risperidone is notorious for causing high prolactin. As for any other side effects, I didn't experience any. I'm having a hard time getting off of this medication now that the doctor told me to stop taking it, because I can't sleep without it."

violet33 October 9, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken Risperdal for about 6 years to deal with depression and suicidal/self-injurous thoughts. It works very well for this. The only problem is that it does cause very severe weight gain, to the point where if I consume less than 1,400 calories a day I STILL gain weight. I have recently started taking Topamax to offset this, so hopefully this will help. But it does help immensely with problematic thoughts and I notice a huge difference in my state of mind and overall well being when I take Risperdal. Additionally it offers the great benefit of helping me fall asleep, which is great as a long-time insomniac. Overall a great drug, just some problematic side effects."

invisible_creeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very good for depression."

in arkansas (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After getting used to the medicine, which took a couple of weeks of confusion, I began to realize my problems with 35 years of depression, especially bad in the last five years, went away like magic! My focus also improved. I cannot tell you how good it feels not to go to those deep, dark thoughts, lack of motivation, and an "I don't care" attitude. Being able to stay present in a pleasant world I had missed for so long is a wonder, and I had no idea it treated depression. The only problem I have with it is, it makes the muscles in my legs, both above and below the knees, to hurt quite a bit. If the makers ever go back to tinkering with its chemistry, stopping the pain would be smart, with a super-low start dose recommended."

gigimac (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I use this medicine for self-harming thoughts. I take 1.5 mg and it does help a lot. My self-harming thoughts have less power and "stick" less when I'm taking this medication. However, I have gained a lot of weight. I eat pretty healthily, exercise 2 to 3 times per week, and I'm only 17, but I've gone from 130 pounds to 180 pounds after taking this medicine for 3 and a half years. Another side effect is very vivid dreams that occur every night, but this isn't a problem. I also stopped getting my period for about a year and a half; however, that could have been due to self-starvation, since it has come back now (the medication is also lower than it has been)."

Valenciana January 10, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I take 50 mg of Trazodone and 1 mg of Risperdal for my racing thoughts and 40 mg of Celexa for my depression all at bedtime and the Risperdal is good. I get really hungry from it though. I always snack now before I get to sleep. Besides the hunger I like this in addition to my other medicines. Before I would have racing thoughts that kept me from sleeping and now I don't have as many which is great!"

Anonymous November 10, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I was on 1mg of risperdone at night for psychotic symptoms from my depression. It didn't help with the voices, although it did make me feel calmer about things. It's apparently meant to be sedating although I didn't find this. Side effects I experienced were increased prolactin (normal is anything below 500 and mine was 16,000!) so I've had to discontinue it due to high levels of prolactin, and it also upset my stomach!"

bebsxo August 20, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal M-Tab (risperidone): "At one mg, it completely removed all signs of depression and the side effects and feelings of lack of control associated with the depression. Although similar to moving into a new house, it was easy to get used to it and greatly simplified daily routine for the most part. Does not help with PMS associated lack of concentration but enhances concentration overall at this low dosage and makes it easy to focus on relationship problems also, although no drug can change the other person. "

Anonymous March 1, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "This medication kept me calm and gave me a good night sleep. I woke up early in the morning with energy and looking forward to starting the day. However, none of this means anything to me since it cause me to go from 145 pounds to 210 pounds. "

Sheeluvsu January 17, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Feeling much better but have a hard time sleeping. I can let things go easier now."

Anonymous January 11, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Started this medicine at 45 yrs and have gained 35lbs in three years without any change in diet or exercise. Take 4mg day and this is the only medicine I take. Find that this medicine will cause psychotic episodes if taken with more than a 6-8 beers or half bottle of spirits. Next day I can't remember what I said or was doing and this is not good. If you like to consume alcohol beware of this drug as it will turn you into a zombie who does not remember later what you did or said, very scary. Haloperidol was once prescribed for a couple of days and I experienced double vision and extreme paranoia as well as chest pains."

Anonymous November 22, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "I use it with my anti-depressant and it works great. I noticed a difference from the first day I took it. Lowers my suspiciousness and keeps me level throughout the day."

Anonymous October 19, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have only taken it for three days but noticed that the first two days I experienced intense dreams."

Anonymous July 16, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Risperdal (risperidone): "Take 1.0 mg to help augment my anti-depressant. It helps my paranoia and my racing thoughts and helps me be calm. I love this drug. Recommend to anyone whose anti-depressant alone does not work."

Anonymous January 30, 2009