User Reviews for Risperidone to treat Asperger Syndrome

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Perseris

Risperidone has an average rating of 5.7 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Asperger Syndrome. 50% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Risperidone Rating Summary

5.7/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Asperger Syndrome.

Reviews for Risperidone

Anonymous February 17, 2011

Risperdal (risperidone): “Our son has ADHD and Aspergers and often lost his temper and was irritable. We started him on 0.25mg of Risperdal each morning for 2 weeks and he is happy and sleeps better. To see him smiling and happy is worth it.”

MommyOne May 26, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone): “My son was given risperidone at ~age 6. Took it for 2 weeks. He became a blob. Sure, the teachers loved it. He was sweet, not hyper, easy to manage. Downside? Yeah, he was a blob of a kid just sitting there dull as can be and then on his tiny frame gained TEN POUNDS IN TWO WEEKS. Two. He couldn't even put his jeans on! OMG. I took him off of it... and he was back to being hyper, laughing, fun but annoying. So, suck it up, teachers. He just is what he is. Needless to say today, a few years later, after ABA therapy and other therapy he's just fine. Stay away. I also found out that Risperdal causes boys to sprout breasts and lactate. The next psych we had said NEVER put a boy on that medication... they grow breasts. So yeah, not a good med for us.”

Whatbloodyname September 26, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone): “I was put on this medication as I have suffered from Aspergers Syndrome since I was diagnosed at four years old. This is powerful. At 5mg I felt like a Zombie. I was constantly sleeping because it the effects were strong. It gave me symptoms of Paranoia, for example, I was convinced all the time that I was going to throw up every time I ate. It put me off eating heavy food and as a result I lost weight. Probably one of the worst Anti-Psychotics I have ever taken. Too strong for a 15 year old (at the time) and when I came off it, It gave me Psychotic symptoms. I heard a constant moaning voice for days and it scared the crap out of me. Glad I'm of this medication!”

SnakeDog · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 7, 2020

Risperdal (risperidone): “Risperdal made me gain 40 pounds in less than 3 months. It also somehow caused a psychotic episode when I first started it. I was prescribed for irritability in autism not psychosis/schizophrenia. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. I suffered through depersonalization, paranoia, and unshakeable beliefs for a couple weeks. I also had movement issues and brain fog. I switched to another anti-psychotic and lost the weight but the effects following the psychotic episode lingered for 6-8 weeks.”

Rebecca24 · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2019

Risperdal (risperidone): “This drug for me was horrific. I was on it a couple of years ago and after only being on it a couple of weeks I ended up in hospital with a high fever and severe confusion , the doctors thought at first I had meningitis bit it turns out I was having a bad reaction to drug. I couldn't remember a lot of things and had kidney problems. The medical staff were very rude and secretive about my reaction the the drug. PLEASE BE CAREFUL TAKING THIS DRUG, ask plenty of questions and get started on a small dose, if anything seems off please tell your doctor immediately.”

Vivid5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2019

“I was prescribed Risperidone and Vyvanse to treat my asperger syndrome and they both have helped me function better! I don't get as angry and violent! Vyvanse improves my attention, focus, gives me more energy, it makes more talkative! These have been the best medication for my asperger syndrome so far, Highly recommended.”

jmncrr · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 2, 2017

“Use to take 3mg, but was too sedating. I currently take .75 at bedtime, and it keeps me calm during the day. Only feel a little irritable at times still, but nothing like prior to taking risperidone. Just 10 lbs in weight gain which I think I needed. I take it in combination with antidepressants, and works very well.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2018

“I was born with Aspergers and I was frequently irritable. I also had difficulty concentrating in class. I was prescribed to take Methylphenidate in the morning and Risperidone at night time. After 1 month my thoughts and concentration has improved thanks to Methylphenidate and Risperidone.”

Anonymous November 11, 2012

“I was to take 0.50mg each morning as I did. Here is how risperidone effected me: I would wake up during the night severely sweating, when trying to go to bed I would get shocks, it made me feel so bad and I did not want to do anything. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 2, 2014

“I was put on Risperidone to treat my Asperger's syndrome five years ago while I was on a psych ward. I'm not sure if I'm just a one-off case, but the medication made me REALLY depressed. I couldn't enjoy anything while I was taking it. I had to be given Prozac to balance it out. I also gained a huge amount of weight, which I gradually lost after I stopped taking the medication (without any dietary changes whatsoever). On the bright side, it did bring me out of my shell. I was able to get the help I needed from the nurses. Since then, I haven%u2019t had any problems even after I stopped taking it. The medication was useful in the long run.”

dax006 July 2, 2015

“I was prescribed this by both my Psychiatrist and Therapist at age 35 for Asperger's Syndrome. It works like shock therapy - you will feel better just so you don't have to take this any more. 0.25 mg (Half of the lowest dose) causes, for me: stomach cramps, headache, dizziness, feeling like my heart was racing, the 'munchies' (I go eat lots of potato chips), falling asleep, then waking up disoriented, and dry mouth. I can't imagine the highest dose. I'd probably die. I had very vivid dreams. However this medicine seemed to cure my irritability and nightmares which is what it was prescribed for. The side effects it causes, however, are worse.”

Some kid · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2016

“I took this a couple years back when I had recently been diagnosed. Somewhere down the line, I had complained enough about sleep problems to drive my parents to get a new med for AS - oh, look, high chance of drowsiness. Let's put her on these. Don't remember how effective it was, but I guess it did the job well enough. Stopped because it apparently caused bloating.”

U.K. user · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 20, 2021

“It was suggested to me by my psych to help with my obsessive thoughts which led to depression. One of the worst features of my aspergers was my noisey head. The drug calmed my mind and I take 1mg at night. I’m happy with it and although I put on about 6kg I do now manage my weight. The benefits for me outweigh the weight gain.”

mrmom · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2013

Risperdal M-Tab (risperidone): “Works well.”

Learn more about Asperger Syndrome