User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

"Specifically asked MD if this med would have same side effects as I did when ran out of Cymbalta due to job loss no insurance. 'Oh no not to worry on this one.' Seriously? Agitated, angry...can you tell? and my feet and hands are worse after 3 weeks of "low dose" 100mg bid. Top of class, or bottom of class still a doctor."

AnnoyedWithDrugIndustry March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Fell out of bed 3 times while taking this medication lucky my husband was Home to help me back to bed dizzy and confused"

Coygirl March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Within hours of starting Gabapentin 400 MG...my feet and hands started swelling and my pain level increased two fold. Without knowing anything about any side effects, I started giving things away and lost all desire for things that I once cared about. My doctor was ill during this time and I stopped taking the drug on my own and now the pain level has decreased some but the swelling in my feet has NOT gone way and is quite DISABLING!!!. My quality of life has gone from not so good to horrible !."

xpres February 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My doctor prescribed lyrica, Which was outside of the VA formulary. Also $$$$… He put me on gabapentin and it is great"

Don123456hs February 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed Gabapentin for peripheral neuropathy in my feet from type II diabetes. It was bad enough that I didn't even like a bed sheets touching my toes at night. I started on 300mg taking one in the morning, one in the evening and two at bedtime. It worked OK but my physician raised the dosage to 400mg and it completely blocks the pain sensation. I have experienced no side effects. Note: I am a 68 year old male."

No Nickname January 16, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Gabapentin reduced the amount and in some areas eliminated my nerve pain. The imbalance, constant stumbling, long lasting stomach upset, the vomiting, the diarrhea seem to outweigh the good effect on my neuropathy thereby causing a deterioration in the quality of my life."

fran1238 January 13, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm scared to even start taking this medicine bc of the side effects. I have depression however the doctor still prescribed the medicine. I've had suicidal thoughts before. For now I'm not taking it until I've aired my concerns with my doctors. Also getting a second opinion. My feet and hands didn't bother me until my diabetes medicine was changed 6 weeks ago. Hopefully something good will happen"

Grandma010 (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My doctor put me on this medication for the pain in my feet. At first it seemed to be helping, but about a week after taking it I started experiencing side effects like my feet burning and being so sensitive, my husband went to touch my feet and I almost jumped out of my skin! When I go to the bathroom, I am in there for about 15 minutes, and the things happening in there are not good:(, I can't sleep at night because my feet are burning, and I have the same thought running through my head, and it won't stop. Now my stomach is bothering me (more), and I have a terrible taste in my mouth.I know I can't just stop taking this medication, and I have a call in to my doctor, but it is Sunday, so another day of these awful side effects:("

T.S. (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Was having horrible and excruciating pain in my feet due to Type 2 diabetes that was recently diagnosed. 300 mg at night has allowed me to now sleep at night without foot pain and get a good night's rest."

Buck61 April 8, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My experience began after 3 rotator cuff surgeries I developed swelling in legs&feet. After a yr I was finally sent to a dr who gave me gabapentin 300 mg 3x daily. It's has helped pain in legs. However foot shooting pain is worse. Not giving up on med will see what dr suggests"

Fireman0257 March 24, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Originally prescribed for seizures, once I developed neuropathy my dose was more than doubled (300x3 to 800x3). It works pretty well, though it has a bit of an odd sedation about it at the higher dose. It also makes me a bit clumsy. Overall pretty good, not quite as good as painkillers, but without the nausea and tolerance problems of all that."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was having such severe pain that I could not get to sleep at all. I went to my doctor in desperation for relief. He prescribed 300mgs of gabapentin three times a day. That did nothing for the pain. I was referred to a pain and rehab clinic where I was given 3600 mgs a day--1200 t.i.d. That helped much more, but the pain is still not altogether gone. I do physio too, which, in combination with the gabapentin, helps."

PLynnkin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I t really got rid of my nerve pain in foot"

JEFFREY TOBI AS (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2015

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Very moderate pain relief."

old grouch (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet. It developed suddenly and was the initial indicator that I had diabetes. It feels like I'm walking on burning coals. I can't even let the sheets touch my feet at night because they are too rough. After my diabetes diagnosis and learning to give myself insulin shots I talked with my doctor about the increasing dibilitating pain in my feet. He prescribed Gabapentin and it was like a miracle! My pain was gone immediately. However, within two weeks I called the doctor back complaining of increased foot pain. He increased the dose to one 300 mg capsule twice a day. My podiatrist says this is a good sign because the nerves in my feet are coming back to life. Now I'm calling asking for another increase."

Rara61 April 6, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Was placed on Gabapentin 30 days ago 100 mg 3 times a day for neuropathy of hands and feet. Also have severe agoraphobia with panic attacks. Most hand and leg pain much better. Remarkable is that I can now leave my house and do my own grocery shopping. Only possible side effect is I have no sleep pattern now. I sleep when tired and wake when rested. Can be in bed at 10 a.m. or 6 a.m sleep just about any time and wake 8 to 10 hours later. Yesterday I fell asleep at 6 a.m. I got up at 7 p.m. day before I fell asleep at 11 p.m. and got up at 930 a.m. See doctor in 2 days, will ask what can be done. I can't take sleeping pills because they and Valium do exactly the reverse in my body. I took Ambien 1 time, was up 2 days. Ambien also causes restless legs syndrome."

vet1 February 24, 2015

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was put on this this for Diabetic nerve pain. The starting dose was 300mg twice a day. On the starting dose, I found I was slightly moody, had some stomach problems and the nerve pain was just as bad as ever, if not continuing to get worse. My Dr raised the dose to 600 twice a day and I became someone I did not even know. I was extremely moody, angry, difficult to be around. HORRID! It also effected my stomach more. I would eat, even just a small amount and have stomach pain, vomiting and so on. It got so bad I simply stopped eating. I simply lost the desire to eat, despite feeling hungry. Started having trouble with vision and intense headaches as well. There has to be another option. I can't live like this."

Vannii September 6, 2014

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was originally prescribed this medicine because of numbness I had in my feet. I was an alcoholic for about 10 years and had some nerve damage done to my feet. As part of quitting I sought help for the side effects of new sobriety. This medicine makes the pain from numbness go away almost completely. I can finally wear any type of shoes that I want. I also have an issue with anxiety as my body chemistry had been impacted highly from addiction. This medicine helps me keep a calm and cool head. I take other things such as Atarax and Trazodone but I notice a big difference if I don't take my Gabapentin. It makes my anxiety stay at a certain level and not escalate into anger and compulsiveness."

DocRhino (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 27, 2014

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Tried Lyrica and could not drive due to impact on awareness. Tried ibuprofen which works when combined with acetaminophen in nighttime cough medicine but takes too long to relieve pain. Tried gabapentin(Neurontin)generic 100 mg three times per day. It works good for the pain in the feet but does not work for my back pain. Side affects are minor, a slight impact on alertness but not much so I have no problem driving safely."

PainInTheFoot July 13, 2014

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was on Gabapentin and there was 3 other medications that caused some of the same side effects and after a few years it stopped helping. I stopped it for about 2 months and now the pain in my legs are back. I started taking 2 capsules a day and the pain in my legs are a lot better. Problem is the unsteadiness, can't hold things and drop them, This is after I took it for one day and this is happening on day two. May just take it when the pain becomes unbearable. I get it from the VA so I don't know if they have any other medication that treats the same problem and if so will ask to be given it for awhile to see if it works. VA covers my expense after billing my outside insurance first then cover the rest for service connected."

Screwyjohn62649 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2014

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had two major surgeries last year. A total hip and a total knee while in rehab for the total knee. I started experiencing diabetic neuropathy. The doctor gave me 900 mgs daily for it. I can tell you it was a great improvement and was very pleased. The 1st of the year I tried a herbal medicine and it didn't work. I did give it a month. I am now back on the gabapentin. I am so thankful for it, never will I go without it."

JimNashville (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2014

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This drug does wonders for the neuropathy in my feet and hand. I take 1800mg a day, it brings the pain to were I can live with it."

toddwest February 25, 2014

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I take 900 mgs a day. It makes the burning sensation in my hands and feet go away. But the pain in my shoulders and arms is still present and the side effects are worse than the disease!!! I experience tremors, blurred vision, loss of memory, dizziness and drowsiness. I'm a mother of three and I can hardly function, but I do anyway. I still have very little use of my left side. If my neurologist thinks it's best, then who am I to argue. It does work. But for ME, the side effects are a tad bit annoying for a full time mom."

M. Rich. (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2014

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Feet had severe pain, legs were jumping at night. Dr. put me on 300mg per evening per day. My feet and legs are much much better and able to sleep during the night. After 3 weeks, I feel like a new person, able to walk in Home Depot and Wal Mart without the motorized buggy. Also check your vitamin D level. This has been a miracle to me, I was not willing to give up a good life yet, now I feel I have my life back."

JAN64 December 2, 2013

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The medicine was prescribed for diabetic neuropathy of the feet, it worked in alleviating the pain in my feet. I gained weight while taking it but did not know why. About 3 months ago I stopped it and since then I have lost 25 lbs not trying to lose weight. I do have a little problem of insomnia since stopping but not enough to take a sleeping pill. I wish I had known about the weight loss from stopping the medicine before now as I thought there was really something wrong with me while dropping the weight."

Clouise January 14, 2013