User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 50 ratings for the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. 54% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin

NRK · Taken for 10 years or more August 20, 2020

“I am a DAV using the VA as my primary. I have been taking Gabapentin for a good 10 years. I had painful feet and toes. Burning and like thousands of bees stinging at time. I had problems with sheets over my feet while in bed. My Dr started me with gabapentin 200 mg a day. which helped but didn't change much, so he increased it to twice a day and that made a big difference. As a final Note I'm 75 yr old male and My Doses have increased to 600 MG three times a day and I can't feel my feet except when pain decides to turn them into FIRE and PAIN. If gabapentin is helping, I would hate to stop taking it.”

Writer · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2019

“I have had burning pain in my feet and toes for years, and recently asked if there is any drug for the pain since I take Eliquis and cannot take any NSAID's products and do not want to take opioids. He prescribed gabapentin 100 mg twice daily. I was concerned about possible side effects, but after taking the drug the first night and sleeping through the night without burning pain in my feet, I was convinced. I cannot tell that I have any side effects, so to me this is like a miracle drug.”

Vannii September 6, 2014

“I was put on this this for Diabetic nerve pain. The starting dose was 300mg twice a day. On the starting dose, I found I was slightly moody, had some stomach problems and the nerve pain was just as bad as ever, if not continuing to get worse. My Dr raised the dose to 600 twice a day and I became someone I did not even know. I was extremely moody, angry, difficult to be around. HORRID! It also effected my stomach more. I would eat, even just a small amount and have stomach pain, vomiting and so on. It got so bad I simply stopped eating. I simply lost the desire to eat, despite feeling hungry. Started having trouble with vision and intense headaches as well. There has to be another option. I can't live like this.”

Buck61 April 8, 2016

“Was having horrible and excruciating pain in my feet due to Type 2 diabetes that was recently diagnosed. 300 mg at night has allowed me to now sleep at night without foot pain and get a good night's rest.”

JAN64 December 2, 2013

“Feet had severe pain, legs were jumping at night. Dr. put me on 300mg per evening per day. My feet and legs are much much better and able to sleep during the night. After 3 weeks, I feel like a new person, able to walk in Home Depot and Wal Mart without the motorized buggy. Also check your vitamin D level. This has been a miracle to me, I was not willing to give up a good life yet, now I feel I have my life back.”

No Nickname January 16, 2017

“I was prescribed Gabapentin for peripheral neuropathy in my feet from type II diabetes. It was bad enough that I didn't even like a bed sheets touching my toes at night. I started on 300mg taking one in the morning, one in the evening and two at bedtime. It worked OK but my physician raised the dosage to 400mg and it completely blocks the pain sensation. I have experienced no side effects. Note: I am a 68 year old male.”

DocRhino · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 27, 2014

“I was originally prescribed this medicine because of numbness I had in my feet. I was an alcoholic for about 10 years and had some nerve damage done to my feet. As part of quitting I sought help for the side effects of new sobriety. This medicine makes the pain from numbness go away almost completely. I can finally wear any type of shoes that I want. I also have an issue with anxiety as my body chemistry had been impacted highly from addiction. This medicine helps me keep a calm and cool head. I take other things such as Atarax and Trazodone but I notice a big difference if I don't take my Gabapentin. It makes my anxiety stay at a certain level and not escalate into anger and compulsiveness.”

JimNashville · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2014

“I had two major surgeries last year. A total hip and a total knee while in rehab for the total knee. I started experiencing diabetic neuropathy. The doctor gave me 900 mgs daily for it. I can tell you it was a great improvement and was very pleased. The 1st of the year I tried a herbal medicine and it didn't work. I did give it a month. I am now back on the gabapentin. I am so thankful for it, never will I go without it.”

Rara61 April 6, 2015

“I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet. It developed suddenly and was the initial indicator that I had diabetes. It feels like I'm walking on burning coals. I can't even let the sheets touch my feet at night because they are too rough. After my diabetes diagnosis and learning to give myself insulin shots I talked with my doctor about the increasing dibilitating pain in my feet. He prescribed Gabapentin and it was like a miracle! My pain was gone immediately. However, within two weeks I called the doctor back complaining of increased foot pain. He increased the dose to one 300 mg capsule twice a day. My podiatrist says this is a good sign because the nerves in my feet are coming back to life. Now I'm calling asking for another increase.”

vet1 February 24, 2015

“Was placed on Gabapentin 30 days ago 100 mg 3 times a day for neuropathy of hands and feet. Also have severe agoraphobia with panic attacks. Most hand and leg pain much better. Remarkable is that I can now leave my house and do my own grocery shopping. Only possible side effect is I have no sleep pattern now. I sleep when tired and wake when rested. Can be in bed at 10 a.m. or 6 a.m sleep just about any time and wake 8 to 10 hours later. Yesterday I fell asleep at 6 a.m. I got up at 7 p.m. day before I fell asleep at 11 p.m. and got up at 930 a.m. See doctor in 2 days, will ask what can be done. I can't take sleeping pills because they and Valium do exactly the reverse in my body. I took Ambien 1 time, was up 2 days. Ambien also causes restless legs syndrome.”

Clouise January 14, 2013

“The medicine was prescribed for diabetic neuropathy of the feet, it worked in alleviating the pain in my feet. I gained weight while taking it but did not know why. About 3 months ago I stopped it and since then I have lost 25 lbs not trying to lose weight. I do have a little problem of insomnia since stopping but not enough to take a sleeping pill. I wish I had known about the weight loss from stopping the medicine before now as I thought there was really something wrong with me while dropping the weight.”

T.S. · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2016

“My doctor put me on this medication for the pain in my feet. At first it seemed to be helping, but about a week after taking it I started experiencing side effects like my feet burning and being so sensitive, my husband went to touch my feet and I almost jumped out of my skin! When I go to the bathroom, I am in there for about 15 minutes, and the things happening in there are not good:(, I can't sleep at night because my feet are burning, and I have the same thought running through my head, and it won't stop. Now my stomach is bothering me (more), and I have a terrible taste in my mouth.I know I can't just stop taking this medication, and I have a call in to my doctor, but it is Sunday, so another day of these awful side effects:(”

Screwyjohn62649 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 21, 2014

“I was on Gabapentin and there was 3 other medications that caused some of the same side effects and after a few years it stopped helping. I stopped it for about 2 months and now the pain in my legs are back. I started taking 2 capsules a day and the pain in my legs are a lot better. Problem is the unsteadiness, can't hold things and drop them, This is after I took it for one day and this is happening on day two. May just take it when the pain becomes unbearable. I get it from the VA so I don't know if they have any other medication that treats the same problem and if so will ask to be given it for awhile to see if it works. VA covers my expense after billing my outside insurance first then cover the rest for service connected.”

Moo moo · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2012

“I have severe neuropathy in my feet, legs, and hands. Now that I'm on 800mg 3x a day my pain is not gone but it eases enough that I can tolerate it. I have no insurance and go to our local Health Department for. medicine so the Gabapentin is my only pain reliever. Thanks for this medication.”

Anonymous September 6, 2020

“I have type 2 diabetes with neuropathic pain in my feet and hands for 12 years I have been taking a pain medication that worked until my dosage was cut back. Now my doctor has put me on Gabapentin 300mg two times a day with severe pain and burning in my hands since taking this medicine that I did not have before, with dizziness, bad balance, headaches, forgetfulness, not sleeping at night. So I quit taking it for 5 days I was better no pain or burning in my hands. I talked to my brother and he told me about 3 other people taking the medication with good results so I am trying it again pray long term effects work but not happy with this medication right now. Pain medication does control my pain but they say it’s not good for you but comparing pain medication with Gabapentin I have no side effects with pain medication but have many with Gabapentin praying for a better outcome with this medication have been taking it for 4 months”

M. Rich. · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2014

“I take 900 mgs a day. It makes the burning sensation in my hands and feet go away. But the pain in my shoulders and arms is still present and the side effects are worse than the disease!!! I experience tremors, blurred vision, loss of memory, dizziness and drowsiness. I'm a mother of three and I can hardly function, but I do anyway. I still have very little use of my left side. If my neurologist thinks it's best, then who am I to argue. It does work. But for ME, the side effects are a tad bit annoying for a full time mom.”

fran1238 January 13, 2017

“Gabapentin reduced the amount and in some areas eliminated my nerve pain. The imbalance, constant stumbling, long lasting stomach upset, the vomiting, the diarrhea seem to outweigh the good effect on my neuropathy thereby causing a deterioration in the quality of my life.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2016

“Originally prescribed for seizures, once I developed neuropathy my dose was more than doubled (300x3 to 800x3). It works pretty well, though it has a bit of an odd sedation about it at the higher dose. It also makes me a bit clumsy. Overall pretty good, not quite as good as painkillers, but without the nausea and tolerance problems of all that.”

JiLoml · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 8, 2020

“I have been taking gabapentin for over 5 years, maybe closer to 10 years. At first, it was because of chronic back pain and a botched rotator cuff surgery and now added to that mix, diabetic neuropathy in my feet and legs. I was glad to see that I am not the only one whose feet hurt so bad the sheet is thrown aside! I dropped a meat fork by accident the other day; it stabbed me in my right lower leg and I didn't even know it until I saw the blood on the floor. I guess you could say it works really well since I had no pain in my leg but now I realize I also have no feeling! I think, too, that gabapentin also makes my memory suck. My family makes fun of me because I have CRS so badly. I take 1000 mg 3 times a day. I will keep taking it until God takes me home or the doc comes up with something better.”

Jilian · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 30, 2018

“I was prescribed gabapentin for diabetic peripheral neuropathy and was gradually increased to 2400mg per day which I have taken for almost 2 years and I had no adverse side affects. I found it did help my sleep but it had absolutely no affect at all relieving my pain, zero!”

xpres February 17, 2017

“Within hours of starting Gabapentin 400 MG...my feet and hands started swelling and my pain level increased two fold. Without knowing anything about any side effects, I started giving things away and lost all desire for things that I once cared about. My doctor was ill during this time and I stopped taking the drug on my own and now the pain level has decreased some but the swelling in my feet has NOT gone way and is quite DISABLING!!!. My quality of life has gone from not so good to horrible !.”

Ree · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 22, 2019

“Have used this medication for three years, gradually increasing the dose. Take 600mg three times a day. I have repeatedly asked doctor for to change medicine because it does nothing for my diabetic neuropathy.”

Kkav September 17, 2018

“I’ve been taking various doses of gabapentin and lyrica for over a year. No relief whatsoever. I haven’t stopped taking it because I don’t know what else to do. I believe it’s all hype from these pharmaceutical companies. Oh and advertising all over the doctors office”

Grandma010 · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2016

“I'm scared to even start taking this medicine bc of the side effects. I have depression however the doctor still prescribed the medicine. I've had suicidal thoughts before. For now I'm not taking it until I've aired my concerns with my doctors. Also getting a second opinion. My feet and hands didn't bother me until my diabetes medicine was changed 6 weeks ago. Hopefully something good will happen”

Happy · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 8, 2020

“My pain doctor put me on 1125mg of Gabapentin after two misdiagnosis for extreme leg pains. I became bedridden for three months while on this dose. After a year, she finally looked at the lab reports from the emergency room of my first day, raised the medication a bit and called it diabetic nephropathy. I notice the maximum allowable dose of 3600 mg on here information sheet and built up to that dosage. Finally, some minor relief! My new doctor asked how much I was taking and he replied, "We'll keep you on that dose if it's working." We've discussed a larger doses beyond this maximum dose, but I'm good so long as everything is improving with no side effects. If your doctor is keeping you on a low dose, get a new doctor. It take a huge dose to even begin to see progress. Build up the dosage slowly and you have a good chance of avoiding the nasty side effects that others have told me about.”

Learn more about Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy