User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

"I have been taking this drug for 5 years and it works for my diabetic nerve pain. To me it seems to work better than any other drug that I have tried!"

Owee November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very good it works for me ! I just started this pill my pain is not gone . But it's better I hope it keeps working for . Happy me, wow, it's like night and day for me . Peace u all have a blessed day. "

Smerlke (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been type 2 diabetic for 52 years. I am now 70 years old. My internist started me on this medication a few weeks ago. Pain of neuropathy disappeared within a day or two. I also feel that the extreme numbness in my feet has diminished a bit. Thank goodness for gaba. Very happy."

Jonkoping (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I see I am blessed after reading other comments. I started on the drug 5+ years ago, and had immediate ( 30-45 min) relief. But sadly, my maxed out dose, 3200 mg, has been reached and my condition is becoming unbearable again."

Deb-o (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 3x 600 mg of gabapentin for about two months for my diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Prior to using gabapentin, my pain was intolerable, and was interfering with my ability to hold a job. I've experimented with upping my dosage to as much as 1500 mg, and found that at that dosage it almost completely eliminated the pain, down to the point where it felt like a mild sun burn over my body, rather than like scalding water burns. However, I found that I did not like the side effects it was causing. I find that taking 900 mg seems to be optimal for me, with the best pain reduction and the least amount of side effects per dose. A friend told me about GABA, so I'm going to try it and see if I can wean myself from gabapentin with it"

Al Roy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Specifically asked MD if this med would have same side effects as I did when ran out of Cymbalta due to job loss no insurance. 'Oh no not to worry on this one.' Seriously? Agitated, angry...can you tell? and my feet and hands are worse after 3 weeks of "low dose" 100mg bid. Top of class, or bottom of class still a doctor."

AnnoyedWithDrugIndustry March 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Fell out of bed 3 times while taking this medication lucky my husband was Home to help me back to bed dizzy and confused"

Coygirl March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Within hours of starting Gabapentin 400 MG...my feet and hands started swelling and my pain level increased two fold. Without knowing anything about any side effects, I started giving things away and lost all desire for things that I once cared about. My doctor was ill during this time and I stopped taking the drug on my own and now the pain level has decreased some but the swelling in my feet has NOT gone way and is quite DISABLING!!!. My quality of life has gone from not so good to horrible !."

xpres February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed lyrica, Which was outside of the VA formulary. Also $$$$… He put me on gabapentin and it is great"

Don123456hs February 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Gabapentin for peripheral neuropathy in my feet from type II diabetes. It was bad enough that I didn't even like a bed sheets touching my toes at night. I started on 300mg taking one in the morning, one in the evening and two at bedtime. It worked OK but my physician raised the dosage to 400mg and it completely blocks the pain sensation. I have experienced no side effects. Note: I am a 68 year old male."

No Nickname January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gabapentin reduced the amount and in some areas eliminated my nerve pain. The imbalance, constant stumbling, long lasting stomach upset, the vomiting, the diarrhea seem to outweigh the good effect on my neuropathy thereby causing a deterioration in the quality of my life."

fran1238 January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm scared to even start taking this medicine bc of the side effects. I have depression however the doctor still prescribed the medicine. I've had suicidal thoughts before. For now I'm not taking it until I've aired my concerns with my doctors. Also getting a second opinion. My feet and hands didn't bother me until my diabetes medicine was changed 6 weeks ago. Hopefully something good will happen"

Grandma010 (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor put me on this medication for the pain in my feet. At first it seemed to be helping, but about a week after taking it I started experiencing side effects like my feet burning and being so sensitive, my husband went to touch my feet and I almost jumped out of my skin! When I go to the bathroom, I am in there for about 15 minutes, and the things happening in there are not good:(, I can't sleep at night because my feet are burning, and I have the same thought running through my head, and it won't stop. Now my stomach is bothering me (more), and I have a terrible taste in my mouth.I know I can't just stop taking this medication, and I have a call in to my doctor, but it is Sunday, so another day of these awful side effects:("

T.S. (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was having horrible and excruciating pain in my feet due to Type 2 diabetes that was recently diagnosed. 300 mg at night has allowed me to now sleep at night without foot pain and get a good night's rest."

Buck61 April 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience began after 3 rotator cuff surgeries I developed swelling in legs&feet. After a yr I was finally sent to a dr who gave me gabapentin 300 mg 3x daily. It's has helped pain in legs. However foot shooting pain is worse. Not giving up on med will see what dr suggests"

Fireman0257 March 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Originally prescribed for seizures, once I developed neuropathy my dose was more than doubled (300x3 to 800x3). It works pretty well, though it has a bit of an odd sedation about it at the higher dose. It also makes me a bit clumsy. Overall pretty good, not quite as good as painkillers, but without the nausea and tolerance problems of all that."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having such severe pain that I could not get to sleep at all. I went to my doctor in desperation for relief. He prescribed 300mgs of gabapentin three times a day. That did nothing for the pain. I was referred to a pain and rehab clinic where I was given 3600 mgs a day--1200 t.i.d. That helped much more, but the pain is still not altogether gone. I do physio too, which, in combination with the gabapentin, helps."

PLynnkin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I t really got rid of my nerve pain in foot"

JEFFREY TOBI AS (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very moderate pain relief."

old grouch (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet. It developed suddenly and was the initial indicator that I had diabetes. It feels like I'm walking on burning coals. I can't even let the sheets touch my feet at night because they are too rough. After my diabetes diagnosis and learning to give myself insulin shots I talked with my doctor about the increasing dibilitating pain in my feet. He prescribed Gabapentin and it was like a miracle! My pain was gone immediately. However, within two weeks I called the doctor back complaining of increased foot pain. He increased the dose to one 300 mg capsule twice a day. My podiatrist says this is a good sign because the nerves in my feet are coming back to life. Now I'm calling asking for another increase."

Rara61 April 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was placed on Gabapentin 30 days ago 100 mg 3 times a day for neuropathy of hands and feet. Also have severe agoraphobia with panic attacks. Most hand and leg pain much better. Remarkable is that I can now leave my house and do my own grocery shopping. Only possible side effect is I have no sleep pattern now. I sleep when tired and wake when rested. Can be in bed at 10 a.m. or 6 a.m sleep just about any time and wake 8 to 10 hours later. Yesterday I fell asleep at 6 a.m. I got up at 7 p.m. day before I fell asleep at 11 p.m. and got up at 930 a.m. See doctor in 2 days, will ask what can be done. I can't take sleeping pills because they and Valium do exactly the reverse in my body. I took Ambien 1 time, was up 2 days. Ambien also causes restless legs syndrome."

vet1 February 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this this for Diabetic nerve pain. The starting dose was 300mg twice a day. On the starting dose, I found I was slightly moody, had some stomach problems and the nerve pain was just as bad as ever, if not continuing to get worse. My Dr raised the dose to 600 twice a day and I became someone I did not even know. I was extremely moody, angry, difficult to be around. HORRID! It also effected my stomach more. I would eat, even just a small amount and have stomach pain, vomiting and so on. It got so bad I simply stopped eating. I simply lost the desire to eat, despite feeling hungry. Started having trouble with vision and intense headaches as well. There has to be another option. I can't live like this."

Vannii September 6, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was originally prescribed this medicine because of numbness I had in my feet. I was an alcoholic for about 10 years and had some nerve damage done to my feet. As part of quitting I sought help for the side effects of new sobriety. This medicine makes the pain from numbness go away almost completely. I can finally wear any type of shoes that I want. I also have an issue with anxiety as my body chemistry had been impacted highly from addiction. This medicine helps me keep a calm and cool head. I take other things such as Atarax and Trazodone but I notice a big difference if I don't take my Gabapentin. It makes my anxiety stay at a certain level and not escalate into anger and compulsiveness."

DocRhino (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 27, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried Lyrica and could not drive due to impact on awareness. Tried ibuprofen which works when combined with acetaminophen in nighttime cough medicine but takes too long to relieve pain. Tried gabapentin(Neurontin)generic 100 mg three times per day. It works good for the pain in the feet but does not work for my back pain. Side affects are minor, a slight impact on alertness but not much so I have no problem driving safely."

PainInTheFoot July 13, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on Gabapentin and there was 3 other medications that caused some of the same side effects and after a few years it stopped helping. I stopped it for about 2 months and now the pain in my legs are back. I started taking 2 capsules a day and the pain in my legs are a lot better. Problem is the unsteadiness, can't hold things and drop them, This is after I took it for one day and this is happening on day two. May just take it when the pain becomes unbearable. I get it from the VA so I don't know if they have any other medication that treats the same problem and if so will ask to be given it for awhile to see if it works. VA covers my expense after billing my outside insurance first then cover the rest for service connected."

Screwyjohn62649 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2014