User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Insomnia

"Originally I was prescribed this and Meloxicam as a two-pronged approach for pain, and it has reduced my opioid dosages. Let's say my pain management doctor had me on levels greater than given to cancer patients. When my PM increased it to that level, my primary took over. First I was taking Gabapentin 200mg 3x. However, still having sleep issues. She sent me to a neurologist and she changed how I take it, kept the dosage. Now, I take 200mg at noon, and 400mg two hours before I go to sleep. What a difference it made. And it still helps with pain management as it was originally prescribed. Due soon for an increase. It helped reduce my opioid dosage."

GMFlorida September 23, 2016

"Was prescribed gabapentin for general anxiety and also to help deal with an exceptionally stressful living situation. Only take 600 mg. later in the day and most definitely am able to comfortably relax in a way I wasn't always able to. Did notice kind of a "swimmy" spaced out feeling and not always able to keep an even keel while walking. But I'm willing to accept that because I greatly appreciate the peace of mind it affords me."

Suzinne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2016

"I'm going to echo what most of the other posters her have said and say that Gabapentin can be effective for insomnia, but with a few caveats. I was prescribed 300mg/night by my doctor to help with insomnia induced by opiate withdrawals after recovering from surgery, and on the first few nights it seemed to work reasonably well. However, I did notice that my tolerance to its sedating effects built up rapidly, and by night 4 on 300mg my insomnia reared its stubborn head again. By night 6 I was determined to sleep well, so I upped my dose to 600mg. The result was the first solid 8 hour block of sleep I've had in over a month, but after only two nights of quality rest, I woke up at 2:30am again today. So, beware tolerance build-up!"

Mark1987 July 22, 2016

"Zolpidem (Ambien) plus melatonin didn't work very well. I had pain from various conditions, and 5-10 mg of hydrocodone (Norco) helped with the pain, but I don't want to be on narcotics the rest of my life. I tried GABA to help out, at the advice of my sleep doctor. At 600 mg each night, the GABA had no effect at all, so I discontinued usage. Now, however, another doctor has said maybe my dose should be higher, so I've taken 1200 mg each night. Very strong effect at that level and I slept 9 1/2 hours! However, it took a while before it had any effect, and it left me groggy and dizzy the next morning. Next, I'm going to take 1200 mg at 7 pm instead of 9pm. I suspect that after a few weeks at this dosage, I'm going to become accustomed to it."

Ricky419 June 3, 2016

"I was prescribed GABA by my doctor for insomnia. I find it does help to keep me asleep once I get there. I agree it doesn't put me right to sleep however I find that it does allow me to relax my brain and body so they're not going 100 miles an hour which then allows me to fall asleep. I was told to only take it if I had 7 or 8 hours dedicated for sleep so what I found was this. When I take it and am allowed to sleep a full 8 hours before getting up I feel great in the morning. If I take it and have to get up in 6 hours I'm disoriented in the morning and vision is blurry. So with that being said and knowing it takes a couple hours to fall asleep after taking this I've learned my time table of when I take it where I get the best results."

True Believer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

"I was taking duloxetine for my anxiety but because of some remaining anxiety, I became an extremely light sleeper and would only get about 2 hrs a night. Gabapentin was very much my savior and I now wake up once a night at most. And best, I wake up at 6AM extremely well rested."

Anonymous May 8, 2016

"This is my 3rd night of taking this. I went to my doctor because my depression and anxiety had come back full-force. I hadn't eaten hardly anything in 3 weeks and couldn't sleep but 3 hours a night. I was a walking zombie! She prescribed a SSRI and this and I have slept like a baby on 300 mgs a night plus melatonin. My anxiety has gone down at least 60% in two days and my depression has already lightened up - although that will take much longer but just getting some decent sleep undisturbed had really helped! A great side effect of this is that I used to have to get up 5 or 6 times a night to go to the bathroom and now I get up maybe once a night! What a relief!"

Eashon May 7, 2016

"600mg helps me to stay alsleep"

johndcravens (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

"I could no longer tolerate Requip for my RLS, so my NP put me on gabapentum. Gabapentum nearly halted the RLS totally but also caused my peripheral neuropathy to diminish greatly. Another doctor said that result would be expected. Getting only 4 hours of sleep before I get up for some coffee. Two hours later—about dawn—I can get another hour of sleep easily. (Another hour of nap after lunch). So I can't speak to sleeplessness, as I'm taking a bunch of other medications (stent installed)."

Wolfeboronian April 22, 2016

"As I understand gabapentin, it was originally used to treat seizures but helps to keep you asleep but not necessarily, put you to sleep. My doctor is very wise but also very conservative but felt it is a rather benign drug so added it to my ambien. The combo has been very effective in giving me a full nights sleep. I live in Washington state so was encouraged by my naturopath to try medical marijuana. I take a capsule with THC only (no CBD as its about $5/pill) and it has been a Godsend with no discernible side effects. I sleep like a baby. I still add about 200 mg gaba to keep me asleep. My only problem with gaba is I have blurred vision the next day. I understand from the fine print that this can be a side effect."

Kekoa (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2016

"I've been taking gabapentin 300 mg for 2 nights and I've slept like a baby No side effects in the morning."

Camii (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

"just took this for the first time.. I am used to taking Ambien and my new doctor wouldn't prescribe that. took it about 2 hours ago when I got off work. It is now past 4am and I am still sleepless, the only thing I feel is a little bit of reflux and my throat feels a little swollen."

faith the sleepless April 10, 2016

"I take a 300 mg of Gabapentin along with 10 mg of Melatonin and it's works great for me. I fall asleep about 30 to 40 minutes after taking them and sleep throughout the night."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2016

"I have been prescribed Gabapentin for insomnia. For the last 2 years I have taken it nightly at bedtime 2000mg + 12.5 mg zolpidem ER + .25 mg of alprazolam. I find the zolpidem + alprazolam put me to sleep and the gabapentin keep me there...... most of the time. I feel as though I have forgotten how to "fall" asleep, but now knock myself out. After taking this handful of pills nightly at 9 PM, I can be awake at 2 am or 4 am. It has been a lot of drugs for a long period of time. Since the drugs "labeled" use is for nerve pain, which I didn't have, I worry that the neuroma in my foot that developed 15 months ago might be related. Neuroma, foot injections, foot surgery .. Pain unresolved How effective do you think it is?"

El Roy March 20, 2016

"my hubby has been on the med since Sept 2015. It is not working.. they put him on the Gaba to remove the morphine. In the last 4 weeks by 11pm he is wide awake in pain and in tears. In the last 2 weeks the heavy pressure on his right side just below the shoulder is worse each time. He has developed a cold that will not go away starting in Nov. We see the Doc on Feb 3rd. He is taking a sleep aid and med for really bad headaches. I am so afraid of what will happen when the next dose falls. We have been married for 24 years. He has had problems with drugs and drink all his life from 9 years of age on.. yep .. people 9 years of age.. Started smoking pot and drinking.. "

blue star mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2016

"I take on 300mg of Gabapentin and one Trazadone one hour before bedtime with absolutely remarkable results! 20 years of chronic insomnia and trying every treatment with minimal success. This is the miracle combination...love it! The only side effect is vivid dreams."

Happy Dreams January 29, 2016

"I was prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety and insomnia. I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea and had a tough time getting used to my CPAP and didn't sleep for several nights in a row. The first night I took the Gabapentin I slept! And I've slept every night since then. I take 800 mgs during the day and 800 mgs at night for 1600 total. I sleep between 7 and 9 hours every night now. My neurologist also told me that Gabapentin increases slow wave sleep. Before my CPAP (and the Gabapentin) I was getting no N3 slow wave sleep at all. So this drug is amazing for sleep, for me at least."

EuroAtHrt (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

"This is my first night taking gap and I can't sleep. I took it at 9 it is now 12 I'm going to keep trying it for a few more days I will let you all know."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

"This was the miracle drug to help get me through the hot flashes and insomnia associated with menopause. It also helped my anxious insomniac daughter. I take 300mg every night before bed."

J and M December 30, 2015

"I had recent foot surgery and experienced nerve discomfort while in the hospital. I was started on Neurontin which did help my nerve discomfort about 80% and made me very sleepy for the first week. After that I experienced insomnia which I found more distressing than the nerve discomfort. I am currently in the process of weaning myself off this med."

LQ September 19, 2015

"I take either 1 gabapentin and 2 zzzquil or 2 gabapentin and 1 zzzquil and I sleep like a baby all night! I normally fall asleep relatively quickly and wake up around 2 or 3am with terrible back pain and am practically up the rest of the night. Ever since this combo I have finally found rest! The 2 on their own did nothing for me just fyi"

sleeplessman101 September 6, 2015

"Gabapentin helps me fall asleep, but I wake up always eight hours after I take it. It makes me feel a little groggy, but I use it for when I get sleepless nights. Fall in love people, your insomnia will go away. Everytime my soulmate is close to me I sleep like a baby!"

lals August 25, 2015

"I was prescribed gabapentin for sleep 200 mg. This is my first week giving it a go, I will post back after one week. I have been ulta sensitive to other given, I am hopeful this one will work. My sister takes it for nerve pain with success..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2015

"A TRIPLE-CROWN WINNER! First, this wonder drug eliminated my chronic migraines. Second, it has done wonders for mild insomnia. By "mild" I mean go to sleep fast, but wake up in a couple of hours staring at the ceiling. This cycle repeats several times a night. Gabapentin eliminated that problem. Now with only 200 mg before bedtime, I sleep all the way through the night! It also has the added benefit of helping nerve pain in my neck. I take Gab with prescription Advil (for arthritis in neck) when the pain is at a high level and the combo really helps bring down the intensity of the pain to a manageable level. Added bonus? Absolutely NO side effects. :)"

biscotti (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2015

"Great medication. I acquired RLS from abrupt discontinuation of benzodiazepines, and this has been the only thing that helps. Ambien on its own doesn't put me to sleep, but 5mg in conjunction with 400mg of neurontin helps me so much. I've had insomnia almost every night for the past 2 months, and I am so glad my doctor prescribed me this!!!"

pulledover May 23, 2015