User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Hot Flashes

"Was put on gabepentin 12 weeks ago by Dr and was very sceptical as have been on lots of medication for hot flushes and night sweats as nothing has worked. l've been on heaps of things, this is a miracle worker. I started taking 300 mg a night and now take 2 tablets a night (600 mg a night) ,no more hot flushes, no more night sweats ,and l'm finally sleeping solidly every night, no more tossing and turning and not sleeping .Now life is good"

Shinsmum April 17, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My PCP had prescribed Buspar for my menopause induced anxiety and hot flashes, then I was prescribed gabapentin for what was thought to be neuropathy. After researching gabapentin, I discovered many were saying it helped with hot flashes, so I decided to stop the Buspar and the gabapentin worked like a charm, even better than the Buspar. However, after further testing it was discovered that the issue with my feet was not neuropathy and my podiatrist said no need for the gabapentin, so I stopped. Huge, I mean huge mistake...night sweats and hot flashes came back with a vengeance. Couldn't get a good night sleep and thought I was going to loose my mind. Went back to the gabapentin (200mg) and slept like a baby, no night sweats or hot flashes."

Happy Nana April 3, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Totally eliminates my night sweats. I went out of town one night an forgot to take it with me - I couldn't sleep at all because of the sweating an agitation. I won't make that mistake again."

avocat (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 1, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I LOVE ❤️ IT!! I was on the virge of suicide. Hot flashes, night sweats ugh! No sleep ever! 300mg every night 3 weeks on it not one hot flash or night sweat and now I get 6-8 hours of peaceful sleep! Life is very normal now."

Outinlife (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My physician recommends 100mg, three times daily. I only take 100 mg twice a day, and it has significantly reduced the number of episodes I have had. I also do High Intensity Interval Training which also acts on the hypothalamus in the brain, (which helps to set body temperature). Between the two, I am a whole lot more comfortable!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed for hot flashes and it works! Also suffer neck pain from damage caused by traffic collision, it seems to help that as well... I don't take any other pain medications."

Glamrzan (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed neurontin for hot flashes 300mg at night i havent had any hot flashes since i started taking it a week ago i absolutely love this relief this medication has given me"

relieved person (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After surgical menopause a year ago, I had the hot flashes from hell, at least every 20-30 minutes plus night sweats and no sleep because of night sweats so I started taking estradiol and that eliminated all of it but I was getting really bad headaches and I gained some lbs so I stopped that and read up on other medications that could reduce or eliminate hot flashes and came upon gabapentin. It helps a lot, I still get hot flashes but only a couple times a day and no more night sweats. The only thing is I'm afraid of weight gain but sometimes you have to take the lesser of the to evils. I take 200mg. at night and that seems to do the job. Love it!"

tcakml86! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Gabapentin for hot flushes brought on by an anti-hormone aromatase inhibitor pill called Femara. The therapeutic does is 300 mg three times a day. It's working like a charm."

Jmdmidmi November 6, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking gabapentin about a year ago for night sweats. Doctor told me start with 100 mg and can increase to 300 mg if needed. I found the sweet spot to be right at 200 mg every night around 7:30 pm. Night sweats have literally diminished. BUT, I just had lunch with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while and she tells me about a nerve issue she was having and her doctor put her on this drug. Within a month, she was gaining weight and experiencing horrible bloating. This was my "ah ha" moment of "is that my problem?". I have slowly gained about 20 pounds in the last year and work out like a dog, eat well and cannot figure out what is wrong with me, other than the fact that I am now 50!"

beaglesmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this for a year or so now and could not be happier. It has completely eliminated my night sweats and I only have the very rare hot flash now. My doc told me to start with one 300 mg pill at night and if I had to, I could add up to 600 mg more. 300 worked for me, and worked the first night. I couldn't believe how much I had missed my sleep until I started to get some again. No naps necessary, so much more energy, mood improved. I love Gabapentin!"

sgfoodiegirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Gabapentin for just over a year for Fibromyalgia. About the same time, I started going through menopause. Everyone kept asking me about hot flashes and night sweats...none of which I get. I am presuming it's the daily use of Gabapentin. If I forget to take it, I definitely get night sweats now. Blessing in disguise I guess!"

Chrisan October 24, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on many medications for early menopause. I am 43 years old. I was put on gabapentin 1800mg a day and WOW what a difference. I went from 20-40 hot flashes down to 3-4. I am very happy as well. My mood is better and I feel like I have more energy. I recommend this medication. I am an RN."

Teressa W October 24, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started having severe hot flashes and night sweats to where I could barely function (was almost suicidal). I couldn't take hormones as mom developed a blood clot from hers. I read that gabapentin might help. I happened to have some 300 mg's in the cabinet from herniated disks in neck several months prior so I decided to give them a try. IMMEDIATELY they took affect and have been an absolutely blessing for about 8 months.... HOWEVER... I have just started to get the night sweats again but not as bad as before. I have been taking 300mg every morning all this time. I was hoping to drop the dosage to 100 mg just because I want to take a little meds as possible. I'm going to try 100 mg in morning and 100 at night and see if this spreads it out!"

K... (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For nerve pain this drug is great if you can live with the weight gain...I had been on 3600 mg a day for over a year and just recently cut down to 1200 a day (a few months ago). I also stopped my HRT 6 weeks ago because I was getting migraines from the Premarin and the estrogen patches quit sticking after using them for 8 years (why???) So here I am...miserable...up all night...sweating like a pig...on fire/freezing...on fire/freezing 4 times an hour around the clock...heck even progesterone doesn't help!....gabapentin doesn't work for everyone for hot flashes so I'd really think about the side effects before trying it."

45andmiserable September 15, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had been on Gabapentin 600 mg a day for neuropathy in hand from injury. Had been having hot flashes 12 + times in 24 hours. Read the research and tried doubling my dose to see if would help. I only had 3 hf over the next 24 hours. Called GYN an dher authorized increased dosage to 1200 a day. Still working great a week later. Still have them but not more than 4-5 a day and none at night. Feel much, much better. More energy and hand neuropathy is much better as well."

exegete101 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Dr. prescribed Gabapentin to me for my hot flashes & night sweat they to were so bad I couldn't sleep at night and was having hot flashes all day long now I only get very few during the day .the only I don't like is that it causes me to be dizzy and light headed during the day but I only been on it for a week hope that will go away .I take 2 at night ."

Happy Lady September 3, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking 300mg twice daily to help with hot flashes from taking Anastrazole following breast cancer. Unfortunately, I am seeing no improvement."

Tchrmel September 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took it for the first time last night--300 mg. First night in months I have not had hot flashes and slept pretty well. My sister has taken it for years with the same result. I had a hysterectomy at age 60--just 6 weeks ago and hot flashes at night became unbearable."

Donnamarie74 July 28, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So far no relief for me. Had to add this review as I see so many success stories and felt others may need to know it doesn't always work. I too take 300 mg at night prescribed by my oncologist because of my tamoxifen induced hot flashes and sleepless nights. I'm still hoping it will kick in and the the miracle that is has been for so many of you all!"

HotflashSally (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tried everything up to the point of HRT and finally my doctor gave me gabapentin! My hot flashes were severe and I was having so many of them! The minute I started this medication I had instant relief!!! I love it! I hope it works for you!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking a low dose of Gabapentin,100 mg for a week, changed my life, I had ablation done 6 years ago, I was grateful, but....hot flashes overwhelming. ..I am so grateful. !!! Waking up the first morning rested, dry, no hot flashes all day!! In a week, no side effects. I am sleeping good, dry, its awesome. I actually was cold, from a/c.. Anyone suffering, ask your Doc..., I noticed my foot pain has diminished, I ready to go dancing an work up a happy sweat!!!!"

do50 June 12, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After surgical menopause kicked in, I experienced severe and debilitating hot flashes. Upon speaking to my PCM, I was prescribed gabapentin. I took it at night, so I had a restful nights sleep. I no longer had the hot flashes during the day either, so happy! However, I saw my GYN to discuss other possibilities; estidol was choice at that time. Unfortunately the hot flashes started back up as soon as I stopped taking the gabapentin. I tried to stay with the hormone, but after a month of sleepless nights and severe hot flashes, I gave up! My choice most definitely is the gabapentin, no question about it!!!!"

Impractical (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on gabapentin 3 months ago. I take 600 mg 3 times a day. I alsi helps with my nerve pain from diabetic neuropathy. This medication has been a life changer"

tammymelton1972 May 10, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken 1600 mg of gabapentin since 12 yrs before menopause . It was THE medication that completely controls my cervical dystonia. Noticed that I did not have hot flashes post menopause as my friends complained of. But did finally start to have sleep disturbance. So after several tries with OTC supplements, non soy genistein takes care of that. From the first pill. I just don't dare miss taking it. It lets me know. Wish one or the other or both would help everyone."

10TanToes May 8, 2016