User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Hot Flashes

"I had to get off from Prempro, it was working for my Hot Flashes , but about $200/month. I couldn't afford any longer. So my doctor put me on 100mg of Gabapentin and doesn't seem to be doing anything after a few days. After reading these other comments, I'm going to try 200mg at bedtime. If it doesn't work, I'll try 300mg before consulting my doctor again. Fingers crossed."

PC (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

"After loving my hormones for hot flashes, I had a little bout with breast cancer last year - very small, low risk, surgery and radiation only....I was very fortunate - so am dealing with the 5-10 year estrogen-reducing meds and with them....HOT FLASHES TO THE MAX. They came about every 30 minutes, wasn't sleeping, falling asleep on my commute...you know the routine. Was finally prescribed Gabapentin - IT IS A MIRACLE. I have maybe five flashes per DAY and they are definitely less severe. I can live with them. Had a little dizziness and headaches the first week, but they are gone and the Gabapentin started working almost immediately. I wish I had been prescribed this drug when I was complaining to my OB-GYN about hot flashes years ago. BUT, no sense in regretting the past, just enjoying the NOW and looking forward to the future! I am so thankful my oncologist reads up on all the latest alternative uses for medications - I am happy with this new (new to me) alternative."

Martha C April 30, 2018

"I started with my menopausal symptoms back in the summer of 2011 (night sweats and insomnia). I injured my foot in the fall of 2011 requiring surgery in May 2012 for which Complex Regional Pain Syndrome C(RPS) aka Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) set in. I was started on a high dose of gabapentin. After being on the medication for a while, I tried coming off, my night sweats and insomnia came back with a vengeance. I stayed on the medication for some time and tried coming off again the 2nd time, symptoms came back, I tried again several times afterwards and the same thing, my symptoms would come back. I just had to make sure that my symptoms were consistent with coming off of the medication. Now I know this medication is working for my menopausal symptoms. I would highly recommend any woman who is suffering from the same symptoms, to speak with your Dr. and request that you be given a trial of gabapentin. I have maintained a dose of 600mg every night before bed."

nwmedical (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 23, 2018

"Was prescribed this for severe menopausal daytime hot flashes. Started at 100mg once a day, no effect. Twice a day, no effect. Three times a day and the hot flashes switched off like a light and I didn’t have even one hot flash for many months. It was AMAZING! Sadly, hot flashes started coming back and I tried higher doses (300mg 3 times a day) without any luck and discontinued. Hot flashes were more frequent so I’m back on and trying 100mg four times a day. Was going to ask about a rx for Effexor but after reading the reviews about withdrawal, I think I’ll stick with this. Going to try higher dose at night because now I get the night sweats."

Anne (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2018

"I have been taking gabapentin for a few years along with a low dose antidepressant and morphine patches and codiene for back pain and still have terrible hot flashes so no it does nothing for me at all. Unless my other meds I am taking as well that stops it from working for the hot flushes ☹️"

Shell (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 2, 2018

"After having a hysterectomy 5 years ago (kept my ovaries) this last year I had been having horrible hot flashes and night sweats. Dr. and I agreed that HRT is not right for me so we decided to try Gabapentin. I started out at 100mg per day for 7 days, then 200mg for 7 days, then 300mg, and lastly 400mg. At 300mg I noticed that I had fewer hot flashes and almost no night sweats. At 400mg I have no hot flashes and no night sweats. While it doesn't work for everyone there seems to be some wiggle room with dosing so maybe some tweaking is necessary. I can say for me it has worked wonders."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2018

"For the night sweats/Insomnia, I started taking one 300 mg. Gabapentin in a.m. and 1 in evening - still had night sweats, so changed timing to 2 at 8:00 pm. Worked great for a couple of months, then gradually, the sweating, insomnia is creeping back. Doctor said to try 3 gabapentin, 1 in a.m. 1 at lunch, and 1 at dinner - wow, what a bad idea. Had sweats all night (1 per hour) so didn’t get any sleep. I’m going to try taking 3 at 9:00 p.m. tonight. Can’t bear another night of no sleep and sweats! I see a wide range of dosages that women have been taking, so I’m going to go with their suggestions and not my OB/GYN."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2018

"My dr gave me 300mg for night sweats. I took it that night and haven't had night sweats or hot flashes since. If I don't take it for a couple of days the night sweats come back. I think it's a godsend."

peaches (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 3, 2018

"I have a herniated disc in my back and it's protruding in my spine on my nerve. I was just prescribed Neurontin 300mg one in the morning two at night. I stumbled across this forum while looking up effects of this Drug and I'm so excited to see If It will help. I'm 10 yrs post surgical menopause and nothing has helped my hot flashes!!! Fingers Crossed! I'll Update!"

KayD69 January 30, 2018

"I read on here that this Drug is non narcotic. But it seems to act like a narcotic. I Have been on this drug for a few years. I wish iIhad never seen it. When I run out I am in very bad shape. I Sweat like crazy. I can not sleep. In so much pain I can't walk. If you are new to this Drug DO NOT TAKE IT FOR ANY REASON. If you do take it be very careful with it. It is very addictive. A Dr will tell you its not addictive. I'm telling you from taking this it is very ADDICTIVE. BEWARD"

pam-s December 6, 2017

"Yes try it! Hot flashes during the day and horrible night sweats have vanished almost entirely. Using for several years now as I'm almost 9 yrs into menopause. I forgot to take it one night and was up every 2 hours drenched.....horrible. I take 900 to 1200 gaba at bedtime. Btw I did the research on GABA because no over the counter products worked and HRT not an option. I took the info to my doctor and she was aware of these studies which surprised and relieved me. You can't be your best without rest!! Best relief ever!"

Biffnspin (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 7, 2017

"Was on Duavee off and on for a couple of years. All I did was gain weight. Helped with hot flashes not not near as well as Gabapentin. My girlfriend told me about it, my doc had never prescribed it for that. It has helped tremendously! And no weight gain. I don't see any side effects. Would highly recommend trying."

bffhusker (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017

"I had a partial hysterectomy at the age of 37 and then the removal of my ovaries at 41, throwing me into menopause. My OB/GYN and I spoke about possible HRT after my surgery but due to family history of breast cancer, I declined. During recovery (surgery was on August 31, 2017) I found the hot flashes to be totally unbearable and made me self conscious to be around others! Last week at a post-op appointment my doctor mentioned Gabapentin to me and I did some research and agreed to the med. This medication has been great for me!!! I am able sleep at night, focus a bit more, and feel “normal”. I am on 300mg at night and it feels great to sleep throughout the night again and not waking up to a drenched bed."

Sonibont (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

"Continuous hot flashes at least one an hour during the day and at least 5 to 6 during the night, waking me up, over the last year. Was required to stop Estrogen patch after breast cancer scare one year ago, and Cold Turkey on the hormones sent hot flashes, sleeplessness and irritability off the charts. Gabapentin was prescribed and was an immediate success at stopping the night sweats and hot flashes. I took it at night and it worked wonders...I finally switched to a PPO insurance plan so I could choose my own OBGYN. (Was previously on a HMO and no doctors would provide any help or relief from hormone issues.) Gabapentin stopped hot flashes and insomnia within 2 days."

Nightsweaty (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

"I was having severe hot flashes (about every hour) and night sweats and couldn't take hormones and most treatments because of my blood clotting condition (Factor V Leiden). I even tried acupuncture (which did help for awhile) and compounds and everything. Anyway, a new doctor I saw at my Dr's office wanted me to try a low dose of gabapentin (100mg 1x daily at night)... so I did. It didn't take long to completely stop the hot flashes. I only took it for awhile and they pretty much stayed away for years. If and when they flare up again I take the gaba again and they're gone. From what I've been reading my dosage is extremely low, but hey.. it worked for me. Oh... and I was originally prescribed this about 10 years ago."

KBCisme August 23, 2017

"I was prescribed Gabapentin, 300mg three times daily for menopausal hot flashes as well as general moodiness as Black Coash was not working. Well, 2 weeks later, absolutely no change except for weight gain. After reading some of these reviews, I need to speak to my gyn about possibly increasing the dosage. Not sure if it would make a difference though (all this while having power surges)."

SweatyLady (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

"This medication is a godsend. I take 300mg at bedtime and it has completely cured both my hot flashes and sleep issues. It works every time. If I don't take it, within 24 hours both issues recur. I have been told that because I am on such a low dose and only once daily that I should have no problems. Have taken it nightly for almost a year with no side effects other than slight dizziness upon waking the first couple of weeks I was taking it. I cannot imagine ever being without it. I now sleep 7-8 hours continuously and it is quality sleep without restlessness."

Donnamarie74 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2017

"I started on 2 at bedtime for night sweats and restlessness and for the first 3 months that worked great. I started to toss and sweat again. Upped the dose to 3 pills and have been back in peaceful sleep for the last 2 months. Now that I am working out again, I may try to go back down to 2. Finally getting my sleep back!!"

Spencli June 28, 2017

"Was put on gabepentin 12 weeks ago by Dr and was very sceptical as have been on lots of medication for hot flushes and night sweats as nothing has worked. l've been on heaps of things, this is a miracle worker. I started taking 300 mg a night and now take 2 tablets a night (600 mg a night) ,no more hot flushes, no more night sweats ,and l'm finally sleeping solidly every night, no more tossing and turning and not sleeping .Now life is good"

Shinsmum April 17, 2017

"My PCP had prescribed Buspar for my menopause induced anxiety and hot flashes, then I was prescribed gabapentin for what was thought to be neuropathy. After researching gabapentin, I discovered many were saying it helped with hot flashes, so I decided to stop the Buspar and the gabapentin worked like a charm, even better than the Buspar. However, after further testing it was discovered that the issue with my feet was not neuropathy and my podiatrist said no need for the gabapentin, so I stopped. Huge, I mean huge mistake...night sweats and hot flashes came back with a vengeance. Couldn't get a good night sleep and thought I was going to loose my mind. Went back to the gabapentin (200mg) and slept like a baby, no night sweats or hot flashes."

Happy Nana April 3, 2017

"Totally eliminates my night sweats. I went out of town one night an forgot to take it with me - I couldn't sleep at all because of the sweating an agitation. I won't make that mistake again."

avocat (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 1, 2017

"I LOVE ❤️ IT!! I was on the virge of suicide. Hot flashes, night sweats ugh! No sleep ever! 300mg every night 3 weeks on it not one hot flash or night sweat and now I get 6-8 hours of peaceful sleep! Life is very normal now."

Outinlife (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

"My physician recommends 100mg, three times daily. I only take 100 mg twice a day, and it has significantly reduced the number of episodes I have had. I also do High Intensity Interval Training which also acts on the hypothalamus in the brain, (which helps to set body temperature). Between the two, I am a whole lot more comfortable!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

"Prescribed for hot flashes and it works! Also suffer neck pain from damage caused by traffic collision, it seems to help that as well... I don't take any other pain medications."

Glamrzan (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2016

"I was prescribed neurontin for hot flashes 300mg at night i havent had any hot flashes since i started taking it a week ago i absolutely love this relief this medication has given me"

relieved person (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016