User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Hot Flashes

"Started having severe hot flashes and night sweats to where I could barely function (was almost suicidal). I couldn't take hormones as mom developed a blood clot from hers. I read that gabapentin might help. I happened to have some 300 mg's in the cabinet from herniated disks in neck several months prior so I decided to give them a try. IMMEDIATELY they took affect and have been an absolutely blessing for about 8 months.... HOWEVER... I have just started to get the night sweats again but not as bad as before. I have been taking 300mg every morning all this time. I was hoping to drop the dosage to 100 mg just because I want to take a little meds as possible. I'm going to try 100 mg in morning and 100 at night and see if this spreads it out!"

K... (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

"For nerve pain this drug is great if you can live with the weight gain...I had been on 3600 mg a day for over a year and just recently cut down to 1200 a day (a few months ago). I also stopped my HRT 6 weeks ago because I was getting migraines from the Premarin and the estrogen patches quit sticking after using them for 8 years (why???) So here I am...miserable...up all night...sweating like a pig...on fire/freezing...on fire/freezing 4 times an hour around the clock...heck even progesterone doesn't help!....gabapentin doesn't work for everyone for hot flashes so I'd really think about the side effects before trying it."

45andmiserable September 15, 2016

"Had been on Gabapentin 600 mg a day for neuropathy in hand from injury. Had been having hot flashes 12 + times in 24 hours. Read the research and tried doubling my dose to see if would help. I only had 3 hf over the next 24 hours. Called GYN an dher authorized increased dosage to 1200 a day. Still working great a week later. Still have them but not more than 4-5 a day and none at night. Feel much, much better. More energy and hand neuropathy is much better as well."

exegete101 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

"My Dr. prescribed Gabapentin to me for my hot flashes & night sweat they to were so bad I couldn't sleep at night and was having hot flashes all day long now I only get very few during the day .the only I don't like is that it causes me to be dizzy and light headed during the day but I only been on it for a week hope that will go away .I take 2 at night ."

Happy Lady September 3, 2016

"I have been taking 300mg twice daily to help with hot flashes from taking Anastrazole following breast cancer. Unfortunately, I am seeing no improvement."

Tchrmel September 1, 2016

"Took it for the first time last night--300 mg. First night in months I have not had hot flashes and slept pretty well. My sister has taken it for years with the same result. I had a hysterectomy at age 60--just 6 weeks ago and hot flashes at night became unbearable."

Donnamarie74 July 28, 2016

"So far no relief for me. Had to add this review as I see so many success stories and felt others may need to know it doesn't always work. I too take 300 mg at night prescribed by my oncologist because of my tamoxifen induced hot flashes and sleepless nights. I'm still hoping it will kick in and the the miracle that is has been for so many of you all!"

HotflashSally (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

"I tried everything up to the point of HRT and finally my doctor gave me gabapentin! My hot flashes were severe and I was having so many of them! The minute I started this medication I had instant relief!!! I love it! I hope it works for you!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

"I have been taking a low dose of Gabapentin,100 mg for a week, changed my life, I had ablation done 6 years ago, I was grateful, but....hot flashes overwhelming. ..I am so grateful. !!! Waking up the first morning rested, dry, no hot flashes all day!! In a week, no side effects. I am sleeping good, dry, its awesome. I actually was cold, from a/c.. Anyone suffering, ask your Doc..., I noticed my foot pain has diminished, I ready to go dancing an work up a happy sweat!!!!"

do50 June 12, 2016

"After surgical menopause kicked in, I experienced severe and debilitating hot flashes. Upon speaking to my PCM, I was prescribed gabapentin. I took it at night, so I had a restful nights sleep. I no longer had the hot flashes during the day either, so happy! However, I saw my GYN to discuss other possibilities; estidol was choice at that time. Unfortunately the hot flashes started back up as soon as I stopped taking the gabapentin. I tried to stay with the hormone, but after a month of sleepless nights and severe hot flashes, I gave up! My choice most definitely is the gabapentin, no question about it!!!!"

Impractical (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

"I have been on gabapentin 3 months ago. I take 600 mg 3 times a day. I alsi helps with my nerve pain from diabetic neuropathy. This medication has been a life changer"

tammymelton1972 May 10, 2016

"I have taken 1600 mg of gabapentin since 12 yrs before menopause . It was THE medication that completely controls my cervical dystonia. Noticed that I did not have hot flashes post menopause as my friends complained of. But did finally start to have sleep disturbance. So after several tries with OTC supplements, non soy genistein takes care of that. From the first pill. I just don't dare miss taking it. It lets me know. Wish one or the other or both would help everyone."

10TanToes May 8, 2016

"After a tussle with breast cancer I was prescribed tamoxifen and immediately started with the hot flushes. I was waking at least every hour at night and gradually turning into a sleep deprived wreck when I went to see the doctor. Initially she prescribed clonidine but that did virtually nothing. She then tried to give me fluoxitine but I read that you should not take that with tamoxifen so she changed it to gabapentin. From the first dose I got relief. I still get the flushes but they are more like gentle warming events than the full on sweating nightmares of before. It has changed my life. I wish this was more widely known as the change in the quality of life is so extreme."

Itsara May 6, 2016

"My relief from night sweats was totally unexpected. I was prescribed Gabapentin, Valacyclovir and Prednisone for my first shingles outbreak (OMG - the pain). I constantly evaluated my symptoms and side effects for improvement or anything weird. After four days it occurred to me I had not had any night sweats (I don't know exactly when they stopped, because this was something I wasn't monitoring). I have had night sweats for years and always sleep with a fan beside my bed. So when I noticed no night sweats, I looked up all the medications to see if they affected night sweats. I checked Gabapentin last and was SHOCKED to see its association - and then I hit this forum. It was prescribed for nerve pain, but this side effect for me is AWESOME."

GabaFriend April 30, 2016

"50 mg of Gabapentin takes cares of my hot flashes at night. I don't get them during the day, thank goodness."

Karen41116 April 11, 2016

"I have been experiencing hot flashes for about a year now.I was prescribed Gabapentin 300mg for neck herniation/nerve pain and I figured out it was also helping with night sweats. It has been a huge help at night and I have been able to sleep. I recommend giving it a try!!"

Dobieluver April 11, 2016

"I am in my 6th year of severe hot flashes. I had a least 20 during the day and one every 15 minutes at night. I couldn't take estrogen because the risk of stroke. I tried herbal remedies, Paxil and lexapro. While on lexapro I had anxiety stacks and severe depression for 3 months being on lexapro for 2 weeks. It messed with my brain. I regret taking that and was very frustrated nothing could help hot flashes. I did some searching on goggle and found gabapentin. This is a Godsend! My first night taking it my hot flashes diminished totally. I take 300mgx2. One in the morning and one at night. If I do get a hot flash it last about 10 seconds and very minimal. I would recommend gabapentin in place of ERT. "

Mae Thibbs March 20, 2016

"This has been a game changer for me. You are told by so many women, the horror stories of menopause, but until you go through it, you don't really understand how bad it can get. The FDA has approved gabapentin to help control the signs and symptoms of menopause and it does just that. I have not experienced any negative side effects from the gabapentin; please note that the recommended dosage is 300 mg and I have been able to control my side effects with 200 mg. If you are suffering from the side effects of menopause, I would highly suggest that you ask your doctor if this is a drug that you would be eligible to take, taking in consideration any other conditions you have or medications you are taking."

Brandy4557 February 26, 2016

"I have spinal stenosis and terrible night sweats. I hadn't slept through the night in over a year. My MD prescribed gabapentin 300mg nightly. I slept through the night with the first dose. I feel like a human being again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

"Was prescribed gabapentin for back pain but noticed very quickly that my night sweats and hot flashes greatly diminished after starting this medication. I also sleep better and don't wake up as often. This has been a blessing due to the fact that I am unable to take any medication normally prescribed for menopausal symptoms due to having thrombosis years ago. :)"

Tanner13 February 5, 2016

"I have been having hot flushes day and night for 16 years 1 every 2 hours i live in Spain and cannot sit in the sun as when I get a hot flush I nearly pass out. Then I found out about Gabapentin from researching, OMG what a transformed person I am!! I take 300mg twice a day, I am so happy they have disappeared. A big whoopee from me."

Carole2708 January 16, 2016

"I've been literally suffering from hot flashes & night sweats for months now. Estroven worked for a minute, but they soon returned, & appeared angry for my trying to get rid of them, lol; they were even more severe. I began taking gabapentin 300mg for something else and noticed the diminishing of the hot flashes. At first, I didn't make the connection. I couldn't wait for the time to take one to have more of the drug in my system. Joking aside, I feel like a renewed person after just 4 days of taking them so yes, I'm a little giddy. :) I did feel a little light-headed after the very first pill, but not since then. I have also experienced no other side effects so I'm just so grateful to feel normal again. Its been awful, especially in public."

gatweet (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

"I was offered gabapentin for nerve pain in my chest. Having had hot flushes and night sweats completely taking over and affectly so many areas of my life, after only a couple of days taking the gabapentin, the flushes stopped!!! I had been suffering for 3 years having gone through treatment for breast cancer at 45. Due to the amount of pain, my GP had me in 1x300mg 4 times aday. Downside was for the first 3-4 weeks (also because it was a high dose), I felt very drowsy, unable to concentrate, so also unable to drive. I was off work anyway, so was able to cope ok. This only lasted the 2 weeks. My GP had discussed the side affects before hand. I had been on 37.5 mg of venlafaxine 2x1 daily but didn't feel it helped that much. live with in UK."

Ginger June (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2015

"This drug is amazing. I was unable to sleep more than two hours at a time for over a year now. Within two days of taking this pill, my hot flashes are gone!! I feel fantastic and have experienced no side effects"

Reptyle35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2015

"I started taking Gabapentin two weeks ago. My doctor prescribed it for my hot flashes and night sweats. I was averaging two to three hot flashes an hour and terrible night sweats every night. It was very debilitating and overwhelming. Since starting the Gabapentin the night sweats have vanished altogether and I average two hot flashes a day! it's a lifesaver for me. I take three 300 mg. pills per day, one in the morning, one after dinner and one before bed."

bwolkins (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015