User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Hot Flashes

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Gabapentin

Dizzygirl · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

"I took this med for less than 3 months. Stopped taking it cold turkey after my vision failed me while I was driving. Not a good drug!"

NoMoreSweats · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

"I went into menopause 7 years ago. I was prescribed HRT, which worked great to alleviate symptoms, but it got too expensive for me to continue. I've been off it a few years and I went to doctor to discuss continuing symptoms. She prescribed 100-200 mg of gabapentin at bedtime to help with night sweats. I've been taking 100 mg for 3 months. It works great! It has eliminated most of my daytime hot flashes too. My quality of life is so much better! My doctor warned that my body might get used to it and it will stop working. She suggests I not take every night. I try to take it 5 of every 7 days. I also love that it's so cheap (HRT is expensive)!"

Sandy · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 27, 2019

"Have been on three 100mg. Gapapentin three times a day for stroke prevention for many years. Had a hysterectomy years ago. Right now hot flashes/goose pimples are driving me crazy. Hot flashes have never really stopped. Sometimes as often as every half hour. Also take Atorvastatin 20mg, Amlodipine 5mg, Levothyroxine 75 mcg, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium 1000mg once a day. Furosemide 40mg, Potassium 20meq, Oxycodone 10-325, all as needed. Cold-goose pimples usually accompany hot flashes. Last about 20 minutes. Terribly uncomfortable. Disturb sleep. Would like some good suggestions. Thyroid removed due to cancer four years ago."

Sweatygirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 26, 2019

"I have an inability to use HRT - breast cancer diagnosis 10 years ago. I started getting severe flushes. On the hour every hour for weeks on end. I found Gabapentin and started increasing doses until effective and am now on 900 mg per day. It has stopped working, nightmare. Don't know what to do now, am still taking the same dose as I am scared what will happen if I go off them. Anyone have any suggestions? Sweatygirl...."

sprocks · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2019

"Started on this last weekend as been majorly struggling with daytime hot flushes and night sweats. Could not believe the result after just two doses. I'm only on 100mg tablets and can take between 1 and 3 a day. Because of the drowsiness side effect I've chosen to only take them in the evening. I took one at 7 and another at 9.30 and went to bed at 10.30/11. Woke up at 9.30 the next day. Didn't wake up ONCE with hot flushes and slept all the way through. It's a miracle! LOL. I woke up feeling amazing and so well refreshed. My only advice would be to be careful with your timing as I took it late last night after coming back from the cinema and I'm feeling really sleepy today. But - so far so good. No hot flushes since starting the drug and really good sleep."

Trish · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 12, 2019

"I was told when I had my hysterectomy at 27 years old I would be fine. I have tried every hormone therapy with no help. I am 52 now and because of a sciatic nerve issue I was given Gabapentin, OMG this was wonderful and no more hot flashes. I know if I miss a dose because night time the sweat is on. Don't let anyone tell you hot flashes only last a few years, trust me I've dealt with these stupid things going on 20 years and I hate it, but what do you do. Gabapentin has been the only thing that has helped my hot flashes."

Muse · Taken for 10 years or more April 6, 2019

"As little as 300mg, 3x/day, or less times a day (like whenever you find yourself sweating, take 300mg) will abso-flipping-LUTE-ly STOP hot flashes AND/OR menopausal/post-menopausal sweats/flushing, PERIOD. It also helps reduce side-effects of opiate withdrawal, if your doctor also idiotically prescribed them to help; this actually exacerbates the problem. Remember you’ll need to THEN WEAN OFF THE GABAPENTIN, once you find yourself free and clear of other problems. Per my pharmacist, THAT IS 25%, every 14 days; keep a mini spiral pad in your purse, with four columns: Date: Time: Amt: Symtms: Reduce by 1/4, every 15 days, except if you have hot flashes/sweats, due to menopause. In that case you may have to wean off and then decide if you can handle the hot flashes/sweats. If not, restart gabapentin at 300mg whenever you feel sweats. Maintain it til you find you can withdraw without sweats returning (I’m 57 and STILL am having post-menopausal sweats without gabapentin)."

MM · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2019

"I'm glad this works for some people, but this drug out me in a real dark place and I nearly died as a result. Withdrawal symptoms from stopping this medication without tapering off were terrible."

Hotshot · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2018

"I had been on bio identical hormones for 8 years. Life was great until I was diagnosed with pr/er+ her2- stage 1 breast cancer, had bilateral mastectomy and hot flashes, sleepless night came back immediately. My oncologist just recently prescribed gabapentin it is unbelievable how quickly the hot flashes have stopped. I pray it continues to work, I can now get a good night sleep! Give it a try!!"

PC · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2018

"I had to get off from Prempro, it was working for my Hot Flashes , but about $200/month. I couldn't afford any longer. So my doctor put me on 100mg of Gabapentin and doesn't seem to be doing anything after a few days. After reading these other comments, I'm going to try 200mg at bedtime. If it doesn't work, I'll try 300mg before consulting my doctor again. Fingers crossed."

Martha C April 30, 2018

"After loving my hormones for hot flashes, I had a little bout with breast cancer last year - very small, low risk, surgery and radiation only....I was very fortunate - so am dealing with the 5-10 year estrogen-reducing meds and with them....HOT FLASHES TO THE MAX. They came about every 30 minutes, wasn't sleeping, falling asleep on my commute...you know the routine. Was finally prescribed Gabapentin - IT IS A MIRACLE. I have maybe five flashes per DAY and they are definitely less severe. I can live with them. Had a little dizziness and headaches the first week, but they are gone and the Gabapentin started working almost immediately. I wish I had been prescribed this drug when I was complaining to my OB-GYN about hot flashes years ago. BUT, no sense in regretting the past, just enjoying the NOW and looking forward to the future! I am so thankful my oncologist reads up on all the latest alternative uses for medications - I am happy with this new (new to me) alternative."

nwmedical · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 23, 2018

"I started with my menopausal symptoms back in the summer of 2011 (night sweats and insomnia). I injured my foot in the fall of 2011 requiring surgery in May 2012 for which Complex Regional Pain Syndrome C(RPS) aka Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) set in. I was started on a high dose of gabapentin. After being on the medication for a while, I tried coming off, my night sweats and insomnia came back with a vengeance. I stayed on the medication for some time and tried coming off again the 2nd time, symptoms came back, I tried again several times afterwards and the same thing, my symptoms would come back. I just had to make sure that my symptoms were consistent with coming off of the medication. Now I know this medication is working for my menopausal symptoms. I would highly recommend any woman who is suffering from the same symptoms, to speak with your Dr. and request that you be given a trial of gabapentin. I have maintained a dose of 600mg every night before bed."

Anne · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 20, 2018

"Was prescribed this for severe menopausal daytime hot flashes. Started at 100mg once a day, no effect. Twice a day, no effect. Three times a day and the hot flashes switched off like a light and I didn’t have even one hot flash for many months. It was AMAZING! Sadly, hot flashes started coming back and I tried higher doses (300mg 3 times a day) without any luck and discontinued. Hot flashes were more frequent so I’m back on and trying 100mg four times a day. Was going to ask about a rx for Effexor but after reading the reviews about withdrawal, I think I’ll stick with this. Going to try higher dose at night because now I get the night sweats."

Shell · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 2, 2018

"I have been taking gabapentin for a few years along with a low dose antidepressant and morphine patches and codiene for back pain and still have terrible hot flashes so no it does nothing for me at all. Unless my other meds I am taking as well that stops it from working for the hot flushes ☹️"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2018

"After having a hysterectomy 5 years ago (kept my ovaries) this last year I had been having horrible hot flashes and night sweats. Dr. and I agreed that HRT is not right for me so we decided to try Gabapentin. I started out at 100mg per day for 7 days, then 200mg for 7 days, then 300mg, and lastly 400mg. At 300mg I noticed that I had fewer hot flashes and almost no night sweats. At 400mg I have no hot flashes and no night sweats. While it doesn't work for everyone there seems to be some wiggle room with dosing so maybe some tweaking is necessary. I can say for me it has worked wonders."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 12, 2018

"For the night sweats/Insomnia, I started taking one 300 mg. Gabapentin in a.m. and 1 in evening - still had night sweats, so changed timing to 2 at 8:00 pm. Worked great for a couple of months, then gradually, the sweating, insomnia is creeping back. Doctor said to try 3 gabapentin, 1 in a.m. 1 at lunch, and 1 at dinner - wow, what a bad idea. Had sweats all night (1 per hour) so didn’t get any sleep. I’m going to try taking 3 at 9:00 p.m. tonight. Can’t bear another night of no sleep and sweats! I see a wide range of dosages that women have been taking, so I’m going to go with their suggestions and not my OB/GYN."

peaches · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 3, 2018

"My dr gave me 300mg for night sweats. I took it that night and haven't had night sweats or hot flashes since. If I don't take it for a couple of days the night sweats come back. I think it's a godsend."

KayD69 January 30, 2018

"I have a herniated disc in my back and it's protruding in my spine on my nerve. I was just prescribed Neurontin 300mg one in the morning two at night. I stumbled across this forum while looking up effects of this Drug and I'm so excited to see If It will help. I'm 10 yrs post surgical menopause and nothing has helped my hot flashes!!! Fingers Crossed! I'll Update!"

pam-s December 6, 2017

"I read on here that this Drug is non narcotic. But it seems to act like a narcotic. I Have been on this drug for a few years. I wish iIhad never seen it. When I run out I am in very bad shape. I Sweat like crazy. I can not sleep. In so much pain I can't walk. If you are new to this Drug DO NOT TAKE IT FOR ANY REASON. If you do take it be very careful with it. It is very addictive. A Dr will tell you its not addictive. I'm telling you from taking this it is very ADDICTIVE. BEWARD"

Biffnspin · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 7, 2017

"Yes try it! Hot flashes during the day and horrible night sweats have vanished almost entirely. Using for several years now as I'm almost 9 yrs into menopause. I forgot to take it one night and was up every 2 hours drenched.....horrible. I take 900 to 1200 gaba at bedtime. Btw I did the research on GABA because no over the counter products worked and HRT not an option. I took the info to my doctor and she was aware of these studies which surprised and relieved me. You can't be your best without rest!! Best relief ever!"

bffhusker · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2017

"Was on Duavee off and on for a couple of years. All I did was gain weight. Helped with hot flashes not not near as well as Gabapentin. My girlfriend told me about it, my doc had never prescribed it for that. It has helped tremendously! And no weight gain. I don't see any side effects. Would highly recommend trying."

Sonibont · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2017

"I had a partial hysterectomy at the age of 37 and then the removal of my ovaries at 41, throwing me into menopause. My OB/GYN and I spoke about possible HRT after my surgery but due to family history of breast cancer, I declined. During recovery (surgery was on August 31, 2017) I found the hot flashes to be totally unbearable and made me self conscious to be around others! Last week at a post-op appointment my doctor mentioned Gabapentin to me and I did some research and agreed to the med. This medication has been great for me!!! I am able sleep at night, focus a bit more, and feel “normal”. I am on 300mg at night and it feels great to sleep throughout the night again and not waking up to a drenched bed."

Nightsweaty · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2017

"Continuous hot flashes at least one an hour during the day and at least 5 to 6 during the night, waking me up, over the last year. Was required to stop Estrogen patch after breast cancer scare one year ago, and Cold Turkey on the hormones sent hot flashes, sleeplessness and irritability off the charts. Gabapentin was prescribed and was an immediate success at stopping the night sweats and hot flashes. I took it at night and it worked wonders...I finally switched to a PPO insurance plan so I could choose my own OBGYN. (Was previously on a HMO and no doctors would provide any help or relief from hormone issues.) Gabapentin stopped hot flashes and insomnia within 2 days."

KBCisme August 23, 2017

"I was having severe hot flashes (about every hour) and night sweats and couldn't take hormones and most treatments because of my blood clotting condition (Factor V Leiden). I even tried acupuncture (which did help for awhile) and compounds and everything. Anyway, a new doctor I saw at my Dr's office wanted me to try a low dose of gabapentin (100mg 1x daily at night)... so I did. It didn't take long to completely stop the hot flashes. I only took it for awhile and they pretty much stayed away for years. If and when they flare up again I take the gaba again and they're gone. From what I've been reading my dosage is extremely low, but hey.. it worked for me. Oh... and I was originally prescribed this about 10 years ago."

SweatyLady · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2017

"I was prescribed Gabapentin, 300mg three times daily for menopausal hot flashes as well as general moodiness as Black Coash was not working. Well, 2 weeks later, absolutely no change except for weight gain. After reading some of these reviews, I need to speak to my gyn about possibly increasing the dosage. Not sure if it would make a difference though (all this while having power surges)."

Learn more about Hot Flashes