User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 26 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Hot Flashes

"Yes try it! Hot flashes during the day and horrible night sweats have vanished almost entirely. Using for several years now as I'm almost 9 yrs into menopause. I forgot to take it one night and was up every 2 hours drenched.....horrible. I take 900 to 1200 gaba at bedtime. Btw I did the research on GABA because no over the counter products worked and HRT not an option. I took the info to my doctor and she was aware of these studies which surprised and relieved me. You can't be your best without rest!! Best relief ever!"

Biffnspin (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on Duavee off and on for a couple of years. All I did was gain weight. Helped with hot flashes not not near as well as Gabapentin. My girlfriend told me about it, my doc had never prescribed it for that. It has helped tremendously! And no weight gain. I don't see any side effects. Would highly recommend trying."

bffhusker (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a partial hysterectomy at the age of 37 and then the removal of my ovaries at 41, throwing me into menopause. My OB/GYN and I spoke about possible HRT after my surgery but due to family history of breast cancer, I declined. During recovery (surgery was on August 31, 2017) I found the hot flashes to be totally unbearable and made me self conscious to be around others! Last week at a post-op appointment my doctor mentioned Gabapentin to me and I did some research and agreed to the med. This medication has been great for me!!! I am able sleep at night, focus a bit more, and feel “normal”. I am on 300mg at night and it feels great to sleep throughout the night again and not waking up to a drenched bed."

Sonibont (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Continuous hot flashes at least one an hour during the day and at least 5 to 6 during the night, waking me up, over the last year. Was required to stop Estrogen patch after breast cancer scare one year ago, and Cold Turkey on the hormones sent hot flashes, sleeplessness and irritability off the charts. Gabapentin was prescribed and was an immediate success at stopping the night sweats and hot flashes. I took it at night and it worked wonders...I finally switched to a PPO insurance plan so I could choose my own OBGYN. (Was previously on a HMO and no doctors would provide any help or relief from hormone issues.) Gabapentin stopped hot flashes and insomnia within 2 days."

Nightsweaty (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having severe hot flashes (about every hour) and night sweats and couldn't take hormones and most treatments because of my blood clotting condition (Factor V Leiden). I even tried acupuncture (which did help for awhile) and compounds and everything. Anyway, a new doctor I saw at my Dr's office wanted me to try a low dose of gabapentin (100mg 1x daily at night)... so I did. It didn't take long to completely stop the hot flashes. I only took it for awhile and they pretty much stayed away for years. If and when they flare up again I take the gaba again and they're gone. From what I've been reading my dosage is extremely low, but hey.. it worked for me. Oh... and I was originally prescribed this about 10 years ago."

KBCisme August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Gabapentin, 300mg three times daily for menopausal hot flashes as well as general moodiness as Black Coash was not working. Well, 2 weeks later, absolutely no change except for weight gain. After reading some of these reviews, I need to speak to my gyn about possibly increasing the dosage. Not sure if it would make a difference though (all this while having power surges)."

SweatyLady (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is a godsend. I take 300mg at bedtime and it has completely cured both my hot flashes and sleep issues. It works every time. If I don't take it, within 24 hours both issues recur. I have been told that because I am on such a low dose and only once daily that I should have no problems. Have taken it nightly for almost a year with no side effects other than slight dizziness upon waking the first couple of weeks I was taking it. I cannot imagine ever being without it. I now sleep 7-8 hours continuously and it is quality sleep without restlessness."

Donnamarie74 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on 2 at bedtime for night sweats and restlessness and for the first 3 months that worked great. I started to toss and sweat again. Upped the dose to 3 pills and have been back in peaceful sleep for the last 2 months. Now that I am working out again, I may try to go back down to 2. Finally getting my sleep back!!"

Spencli June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was put on gabepentin 12 weeks ago by Dr and was very sceptical as have been on lots of medication for hot flushes and night sweats as nothing has worked. l've been on heaps of things, this is a miracle worker. I started taking 300 mg a night and now take 2 tablets a night (600 mg a night) ,no more hot flushes, no more night sweats ,and l'm finally sleeping solidly every night, no more tossing and turning and not sleeping .Now life is good"

Shinsmum April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My PCP had prescribed Buspar for my menopause induced anxiety and hot flashes, then I was prescribed gabapentin for what was thought to be neuropathy. After researching gabapentin, I discovered many were saying it helped with hot flashes, so I decided to stop the Buspar and the gabapentin worked like a charm, even better than the Buspar. However, after further testing it was discovered that the issue with my feet was not neuropathy and my podiatrist said no need for the gabapentin, so I stopped. Huge, I mean huge mistake...night sweats and hot flashes came back with a vengeance. Couldn't get a good night sleep and thought I was going to loose my mind. Went back to the gabapentin (200mg) and slept like a baby, no night sweats or hot flashes."

Happy Nana April 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Totally eliminates my night sweats. I went out of town one night an forgot to take it with me - I couldn't sleep at all because of the sweating an agitation. I won't make that mistake again."

avocat (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I LOVE ❤️ IT!! I was on the virge of suicide. Hot flashes, night sweats ugh! No sleep ever! 300mg every night 3 weeks on it not one hot flash or night sweat and now I get 6-8 hours of peaceful sleep! Life is very normal now."

Outinlife (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My physician recommends 100mg, three times daily. I only take 100 mg twice a day, and it has significantly reduced the number of episodes I have had. I also do High Intensity Interval Training which also acts on the hypothalamus in the brain, (which helps to set body temperature). Between the two, I am a whole lot more comfortable!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed for hot flashes and it works! Also suffer neck pain from damage caused by traffic collision, it seems to help that as well... I don't take any other pain medications."

Glamrzan (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed neurontin for hot flashes 300mg at night i havent had any hot flashes since i started taking it a week ago i absolutely love this relief this medication has given me"

relieved person (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After surgical menopause a year ago, I had the hot flashes from hell, at least every 20-30 minutes plus night sweats and no sleep because of night sweats so I started taking estradiol and that eliminated all of it but I was getting really bad headaches and I gained some lbs so I stopped that and read up on other medications that could reduce or eliminate hot flashes and came upon gabapentin. It helps a lot, I still get hot flashes but only a couple times a day and no more night sweats. The only thing is I'm afraid of weight gain but sometimes you have to take the lesser of the to evils. I take 200mg. at night and that seems to do the job. Love it!"

tcakml86! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Gabapentin for hot flushes brought on by an anti-hormone aromatase inhibitor pill called Femara. The therapeutic does is 300 mg three times a day. It's working like a charm."

Jmdmidmi November 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking gabapentin about a year ago for night sweats. Doctor told me start with 100 mg and can increase to 300 mg if needed. I found the sweet spot to be right at 200 mg every night around 7:30 pm. Night sweats have literally diminished. BUT, I just had lunch with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while and she tells me about a nerve issue she was having and her doctor put her on this drug. Within a month, she was gaining weight and experiencing horrible bloating. This was my "ah ha" moment of "is that my problem?". I have slowly gained about 20 pounds in the last year and work out like a dog, eat well and cannot figure out what is wrong with me, other than the fact that I am now 50!"

beaglesmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this for a year or so now and could not be happier. It has completely eliminated my night sweats and I only have the very rare hot flash now. My doc told me to start with one 300 mg pill at night and if I had to, I could add up to 600 mg more. 300 worked for me, and worked the first night. I couldn't believe how much I had missed my sleep until I started to get some again. No naps necessary, so much more energy, mood improved. I love Gabapentin!"

sgfoodiegirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Gabapentin for just over a year for Fibromyalgia. About the same time, I started going through menopause. Everyone kept asking me about hot flashes and night sweats...none of which I get. I am presuming it's the daily use of Gabapentin. If I forget to take it, I definitely get night sweats now. Blessing in disguise I guess!"

Chrisan October 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on many medications for early menopause. I am 43 years old. I was put on gabapentin 1800mg a day and WOW what a difference. I went from 20-40 hot flashes down to 3-4. I am very happy as well. My mood is better and I feel like I have more energy. I recommend this medication. I am an RN."

Teressa W October 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started having severe hot flashes and night sweats to where I could barely function (was almost suicidal). I couldn't take hormones as mom developed a blood clot from hers. I read that gabapentin might help. I happened to have some 300 mg's in the cabinet from herniated disks in neck several months prior so I decided to give them a try. IMMEDIATELY they took affect and have been an absolutely blessing for about 8 months.... HOWEVER... I have just started to get the night sweats again but not as bad as before. I have been taking 300mg every morning all this time. I was hoping to drop the dosage to 100 mg just because I want to take a little meds as possible. I'm going to try 100 mg in morning and 100 at night and see if this spreads it out!"

K... (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For nerve pain this drug is great if you can live with the weight gain...I had been on 3600 mg a day for over a year and just recently cut down to 1200 a day (a few months ago). I also stopped my HRT 6 weeks ago because I was getting migraines from the Premarin and the estrogen patches quit sticking after using them for 8 years (why???) So here I am...miserable...up all night...sweating like a pig...on fire/freezing...on fire/freezing 4 times an hour around the clock...heck even progesterone doesn't help!....gabapentin doesn't work for everyone for hot flashes so I'd really think about the side effects before trying it."

45andmiserable September 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had been on Gabapentin 600 mg a day for neuropathy in hand from injury. Had been having hot flashes 12 + times in 24 hours. Read the research and tried doubling my dose to see if would help. I only had 3 hf over the next 24 hours. Called GYN an dher authorized increased dosage to 1200 a day. Still working great a week later. Still have them but not more than 4-5 a day and none at night. Feel much, much better. More energy and hand neuropathy is much better as well."

exegete101 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr. prescribed Gabapentin to me for my hot flashes & night sweat they to were so bad I couldn't sleep at night and was having hot flashes all day long now I only get very few during the day .the only I don't like is that it causes me to be dizzy and light headed during the day but I only been on it for a week hope that will go away .I take 2 at night ."

Happy Lady September 3, 2016