User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Pain

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1454 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Gabapentin

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“I took this medicine for my stomach pain that is unbearable and no one has figured out what’s wrong but if you have any temper problems I highly suggest you stay away from these pills”

Ms A · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 9, 2020

“I’ve been taking Gabapentin 800 mg x 3 for years and it has not worked for my nerve pain. I suppose it’s better than taking nothing but I still have chronic pain.”

Plym76 · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

“Sciatica nerve pain and got given this absolutely rubbish did nothing apart from make me feel dizzy and sick”

nickname · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“sciatica pain just laughs at gabapentin. They do nothing they are garbage”

Anonymous May 1, 2020

“Used it to help manage pain from endometriosis. By far the worst, I had a lot of the side effects, the one that had the worst impact on me was weight gain! 12lbs over. I flushed these pills away.”

Lily March 11, 2020

“I have metastatic breast cancer and I had a spinal tumor that was causing intense wrap around pain in my right rib. I had radiation which helped a lot but I still experience very severe pain in my lower rib. I am only 35 and married with 3 kids and on so much OxyContin and Oxycodone for breakthrough pain that it causes me to feel like a zombie. I asked about gabapentin because my oncologist said it could be pain from damaged nerves from the tumor in my spine. I was started on 300 mg once a day yesterday to see if it works for me (my main goal is being able to take less opiates). It works GREAT! When I was just on opiates for the pain they worked ok but I still couldn't sleep on my right side or even touch my right ribs without severe pain. With the added Gabapentin I can't feel the pain at all and I'm so happy about this. I don't have to use as much of my breakthrough Oxycodone either. Another perk is that it helps with my hot flashes due to medically induced menopause.”

Ltb3105 · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“NOT happy. Was given this to take at night only for nerve pain. Have bulging disc and pinched nerve. Did absolutely nothing positively, but am having horrible side effects and am going to stop it. Memory loss, grogginess throughout the day, fuzzy thinking, headache, eye pain.”

Paul · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2020

“I took one pill of gabapentin 100mg and felt exhausted the next day any my shins ached, I have RLS so bad this is not helping”

kurt · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 12, 2020

“Starting about 4 years ago I started having headaches that started at the left side of the back of my head and migrated to the top back. It felt like a large knife was being pushed into my head and twisted. It was as horrible a pain as I could imagine. They woke me up in the middle of the night and would last hours. I have bi-polar 2 which I am treated for. When they were over I was totally exhausted and my day was shot. My psychiatrist finally had me try gabapentin, two 300 mg capsules per day. It worked immediately. I have had no full blown headaches since then. It saved my life. I am lucky I did not lose my job. At times my life was so miserable. They can only say I had atypical cluster headaches. Gabapentin saved me with no side effects.”

Anonymous February 12, 2020

“After 3 weeks gabapentin has not provided pain relief”

Ryan UK · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 11, 2020

“I use this drug to help with neuropathic pain after fractured spine T4 & T5 so metalwork put in and it is agony without pain help. Gabapentin cures it 100% the pain can still be felt but it is not as mentally crippling it was before. There are side effects. I take 2700mg per day over 3 doses. Weight gain from fluid retention, memory loss, motor movements affected but you adapt. Also a change in personality, for some as me its simply boosted me as a person as I am not in that dark place anymore. You have to find right dosage for this drug and it takes a week+ to adapt and go through initial side effects. If you need to come off go very gradually.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“I took gabapentin 100mg dose for pain in my leg for seventeen days . During this time I only took it at night as pain when the pain was worse. After about 11 days I felt really strange . And couple days later I woke in the night put jacket on and had the feeling I was going to jump in nearby canal. Going outside cold air made me aware again . Since then I have run up to a man thinking he was my dead husband, and felt very depressed. I also take lamotrigine for last six years as I had two unexplained seizures in 2013. Since coming off gabapentin I have returned to normal .”

Andtora · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

“I have just stated using Gabapentin for sciatica. I have the usual mix of slipped disks and degenerative spinal issues. This is my first experience of acute sciatica and it has been horrendous. I can not stand for more than a minute and walking is agony. I am a recovering alcoholic (10 years) and opiods worry me a little. The gabapentin is clearly effecting me but doing nothing for the pain. I am getting scared that this could last a long time. it is completely debilitating.”

Jay · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 27, 2020

“Very helpful but wish there was more nerve damage medications that where stronger . I’ve been on Gabapentin for 2 years now . My dose is 800mg 3 times daily due from a very serious frostbite injury in 8 of my fingers and losing part of 1 . Without it I can’t even really use my hands so I’m very grateful for it but So far not so much study for nerve and can still feel a lot of pain in my fingers at this point”

numo · Taken for less than 1 month January 21, 2020

“Didn’t help with my nerve pain and gave me intense side effects (twitching, nausea, increased dizziness, eye spasms, and made my insomnia worse). Really not worth it.”

WreckedSpine · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 5, 2020

“I was prescribed Gabapentin for the burning type pain (I have all types of pain). Gabapentin wasn't prescribed for anxiety. It didn't improve my anxiety or make it worse. Same for insomnia of 25 yrs. The dose was to be titrated from 100mg 3x a day to a goal of 1,800mg a day. After the 1st 1,200 mg total, all my limbs, face & internally very swollen. I was in so much pain, it was if I hadn't taken my other pain meds. I stopped taking it. My doctor & I later decided to go up to 900mg per day max since I tolerated it & it really helped neuropathy. Warning - if I forgot to take a dose, about 5-7 hours later I experienced super nausea, dizzy, extreme faint, weak, pass out from standing. My "addictive" Rx's never did that to me. If this helps a for a while then stops, talk to your doctor about the dosage. Might be time to increase. Gabapentin needs titration up to an optimal dose for you. Titration off is necessary.”

Pete · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2019

“My back problems started 20 years ago I have been on pain killers 20 years for back problems. I was told by spine surgeon that there was no cure for my lower disks that are destroyed. Three months ago I agreed to try to get pain relief inserting in spine. call jacks they are inserted between disks to raise them and relief pain two were done on lower disks 2 got got some relief and then a month later my doctor put me on Gabapentin 300mg twice a day . Bad reaction two nights then on third I just got sleepy I continued them for a month . I saw my doctor and I told him I still have pain and he recommended Spinal-cord stimulator I declined because I had some relief and I wanted to wait to see if my pain would reduce. Two weeks now and my pain has reduced a lot I contribute it to the Gabapentin my pain medication I still take but I am going off of it with no effect I can go 12 hours in-between doses. I hope this continues.”

Roni · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 6, 2019

“I have taken gabapentin for 1 1/2 years, 600mg.x3. I was addicted to morphine for years because of degenerative disc, 5 herniated discs. I flushed all my pain meds and between the gabapentin and Suboxone, I have very little pain and do NOT need heavy narcotics anymore. What really helped was that with the pain level lower, I was able to start exercising and feel 110%. Good luck and God Bless”

Louise1964 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 24, 2019

“I'm taking gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day plus naproxen and still have pain.”

Bossman · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 23, 2019

“I have read a lot of comments on here about gabapentin working for them and I am happy for them. I have L4 spondylitis which is which gives me a lot of back pain and a lot of leg pain and my legs go dead I am on 3600 mg of gabapentin I'm also on codeine paracetamol and ibuprofen and it still doesn't do much I would really like to know what would help but can I get advice on here.”

Nick Name · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2019

“I tried gabapentin many years ago when a neurosurgeon put me on it for osteoarthritis in my cervical spine. It does NOTHING for me, and seems not to have any effect on my insomnia, for a that matter. Doctors have been prescribing this drug for many things now, but I think they’re actually relying on the placebo effect. Since then, I’ve been put on it again after cancer surgery - it still does not work, and is just a waste of money. Are doctors so afraid of legislators and administrators that they turn a blind eye to a patients pain and dole out this stuff.”

Mumma · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2019

“I have been suffering with chronic pain due to tendinitis in various joints in my body, I have rheumatoid arthritis (I’m 48) I have been taking co codomol and naproxen. The flare ups have been constant. I also take methotrexate. I started taking 100mg of gabapentin once a day for three days then one twice a day. The pain was gone after 3 days! I don’t think I need to be on 2 a day, The side effects for me are a little strange. Very bad violent nightmares that feel so real, leaving me in tears and feeling off all day. Fatigue, sedation, foggy brain and slurred speech, almost like being drunk but not in a good way. The side effects apparently lessen as you go on. I’m seeing GP soon and will discuss dosage. If 100mg works for me then I’ll stick to that. Oh, headaches and cardboard feeling in mouth. The tiredness is overwhelming. I want it to work as I don’t want to be in pain anymore. Good luck everyone”

Dave · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2019

“I have been on gabapentin for four months now and the difference in my pain is amazing but still not one hundred percent. I started of with 300mg daily for three days then 600mg daily for three days then 900mg for three months. Next time into the doctor I asked if it could get increased as I was still dragging my knuckles on the ground so to speak. I got put up to 1200mg per day and I am now at least able to walk with two canes around the house and short distances outside. I said a ten because if the right dose is found I know that it will work good.”

Skyla · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 14, 2019

“I was on Gabapentin for over 5 years for pain and anxiety. The withdrawal almost killed me. I'm still suffering months later. I have permanent damage to my bowels due to the fact that it numbed the signal to my brain that I needed to go to the bathroom. I gained significant water weight. I was unable to think clearly and would get lost driving to places I've been many times. It raised my hemoglobin to the point that I had to be hospitalized. I developed sleep apnea. I had 8 central sleep apneas in 30 minutes. I stopped breathing over 60 times an hour. This was all on less than 300 mg. I now lost 28 pounds, underweight and was unable to eat due to withdrawal. My doctor said it can take up to one year for the effects to wear off. I pray it does not last that long. This is a dangerous drug that is given out like candy.”

Elle6 · Taken for 10 years or more October 13, 2019

“I have taken Gabapentin for almost ten years for sciatic nerve pain. It works amazingly well for me. I take one 100mg capsule at bedtime. I sleep well, and I do not feel any sciatic pain. My internist has told me that I can take two capsules, but I have not needed to do this. I have not experienced any side effects from Gabapentin, although a friend of mine stopped taking it because it made her feel as though she were in a fog. I am grateful that this medication works for me.”