User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 5)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Pruritus 2 reviews 292 medications

2.3
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 1 reviews 52 medications

Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1427 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Neuropathic Pain: "Was taking gabapentin for over a year for the neuropathy in my feet, but it also slowed down my "hot flashes" but I woke up Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago, with my feet and ankles the size of soccer balls and water balloons under my eyes, my husband took me to the ER as I was starting to have chest pain they kept me for 4 days and ran every test they could think of, I have diastolic-congestive heart failure caused by the gabapentin"

6paca123 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Neuropathic Pain: "Has not worked on my Neuropathy, in my toes. 900 mg/ day."

K Mc May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Neuropathic Pain: "I took gabapentin after my Dr. prescribed Lipitor after my strokes to help to lower my cholesterol. The Lipitor left me with nerve damage after taking it for a year. The nerve pain in my legs and feet was so severe that I was unable to walk. At first I was taking 300 mg at night. Soon after that it was increased to 100 mg at meal time (just as a reminder) and 300 at night. It helped for the most part but after a year and a half I had gained 8 lbs and couldn't seem to lose it. The pins and needles came back and I was told to take as much as I needed to to make it work. I increased it to 1000-1200 per day. My appetite also increased and I have gained 20 lbs since I started taking it. I'm still having breakouts and they are getting worse again"

MamaKat_55 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "The only reason I haven't rated this drug higher is because it'a relatively new for me. Having been completely incapacitated and unable to do anything physical for more than an hour or 2 a day for several months during a bad relapse of fibromyalgia, I was prescribed gabapentin. Initially, I was more light headed than usual (get that as a symptom anyway) and couldn't drive as was extremely disoriented. I slowly increased the dose and can tolerate it well. Yesterday and today after 3 weeks I had the first 'normal' days for years. I am putting this down to this drug and if it lasts I will be extremely happy!.. that's coming from someone who hates taking medications and believe in health via diet... suits me (so far) ☺"

ElleHM (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "My doctor put me on 300mg Gabapentin three times a day, did not help the chronic pain, made me feel extremely dizzy and unable to focus. He then increased the 300 mg capsule/ 1 three times a day, even after I told him of the debilitating side effects, he then increased it to 2 capsules three times a day & now I suffer from severe nausea daily. It's as if he has poor listening skills. Why he gave me that when I knew it would not work for fibromyalgia, but increased the chronic fatigue greatly."

Nancy1229 May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Occipital Neuralgia: "Struggled with migraines and behind the ear neck pain for over 10 years. General doc thought migraines and tried various different meds, with no success. OTC analgesics didn't touch it, either. Finally saw a neurologist on the advice of my new general doc after my previous retired. He immediately diagnosed it as textbook occipital neuralgia and put me on Neurotin. I was better within a week. Still had some lingering pain on certain days so he doubled my dose, which was the minimum at the time for an adult. I'm still on a super low dose and have a headache now maybe once every three weeks instead of 5 to 6 times per week."

Nick Knack May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I was put on gabapentin after two other meds were not working for my restless legs. All I can say is where has this med been my whole life. It really has helped me. I take 300mg at 5pm and 300 mg around 9pm and it helps with my restless legs. I also have suffered from severe back pain for several years which I suspect is a pinched nerve and since I have been on this med I have not had the debilitating pain I was having before starting this med. I do not know if this is from the med or not but I had read it helped other people's back pain so I suspect it is the med that has helped."

Mamasita1269 May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "My Dr. Prescribed Gabapentin for insomnia because she didn't want me to use NyQuil or even low dose xanax. Trazadone made me feel hung over so I wouldn't take that. I tried a couple times to take one 300mg capsule - which did nothing. Then I tried 2 capsules as it was prescribed as 1-2 capsules. I laid sleepless until 4am. I felt as if someone had turned the radio volume completely down but didn't turn it off. I laid with a silent and blank mind but could move into sleep. Once I fell asleep I slept until 530am when my alarm went off. I felt completely drugged, dizzy, disoriented and even once I was at work I could not remember the names of the physicians I work with daily. I didn't feel safe to drive or care for my patients. Never taking it again."

Kelley80128 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "This medication is..interesting. I am 20 with what a few doctors think is Fibro and a chronic pain condition but was Rx'd this med by a psych doctor for tension migraines. While it does NOT really help with migraines, it has been making me awfully sleepy and drowsy, and helping with weird aches and pains throughout my body. It can be used as a mood stabilizer and I can see why- because it makes you so drowsy you can't do or say anything, especially after taking the evening dose! I've been afraid to drive any car since starting this. It makes me more drowsy than my anxiety meds which don't make me drowsy at all! Doctor is raising the dose because since writing that first part- I have become quite used to the med, where my dose does NOT work"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Effectiveness of the drug for neuropathy in hands and feet was negated by side effects, including: Severe 24/7 headaches; wild crazy dreams that woke me up at night. The pharmacist said these symptoms usually went away after 2 weeks, but after 2 months they persisted, and other side effects seemed to be increasing. I had taken Neurontin in the past, and Lyrica, with no problems whatsoever. When researching side effects, was very surprised to read that these side effects where specific to the generic formulation. Went off, and all the side effects slowly subsided, taking about 2+ weeks to completely end."

ksquared (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I've been taking 3x 600 mg of gabapentin for about two months for my diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Prior to using gabapentin, my pain was intolerable, and was interfering with my ability to hold a job. I've experimented with upping my dosage to as much as 1500 mg, and found that at that dosage it almost completely eliminated the pain, down to the point where it felt like a mild sun burn over my body, rather than like scalding water burns. However, I found that I did not like the side effects it was causing. I find that taking 900 mg seems to be optimal for me, with the best pain reduction and the least amount of side effects per dose. A friend told me about GABA, so I'm going to try it and see if I can wean myself from gabapentin with it"

Al Roy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I had a severe traumatic brain injury (TBI) in 2006, since then we have tried multiple medications to control Anger. Depakote, Topamax, Klonapin, Zoloft etc etc. None of them worked . I have been in rages to where I don't want to be around anyone or talk. It's been 10 years now and I happened to go to a doctor in a small town and told her everything about my anger etc . She prescribed Gabapentin along with Cymbalta and I have felt the greatest change. I go outdoors and hike, fish , feel like I am living again. Still I will have my bad days but this medicine I highly recommend to people who suffer with anger/irritability. I completely understand that we are all different and medicines work differently and I truly hope the best for you reading this."

Survivior22 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "At first it didn't work until we found the right dose I am now taking 1400 mg a day and I have no neck pain head or shoulder pain as long as I take it. When I do have a bad day at bed I take 20mg of muscle relaxer and I am good to go"

Beeeker2017 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I have had fibro for 7 years, finally have a doctor that prescribed me Gabapentin. It's amazing I feel like a normal person again. I sleep through the night, with no pain anymore. My anxiety is gone also, which is awesome. I know everyone is different, but it works for me. I have had little to no side effects yet. First few doses was a bit of an air head other than that no complaints. Being able to function pain free and agitation free is a blessing."

Stoneychick May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Quick relieve from anxiety improved mood and more productivity. Love it."

Affouni (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "So far works better than anything else I've tried for social anxiety"

tea555 May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "A lot of people seem to really like neurontin for bipolar disorder. My experience unfortunately was not that great. I took it as an add-on to lamictal after I had a couple manic outbursts from taking lamictal alone. Gabapentin initially helped with anxiety symptoms (mental + physical) and really helped calm me down, help me sleep, etc. However, it dragged me back down to severe depression. I couldn't feel good about anything on it. Even when my doctor and I experimented with different dosages for lamictal and gabapentin, I couldn't find a good balance. Mostly I just experienced depression. I'm being taken off gabapentin soon. I really wanted this medication to work, but the benefits did not make up for the negatives."

elf_1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Neuropathic Pain: "Because of the opiate crisis, my doctor didn't feel comfortable giving me an opiate for pain in my back and shoulder from a nasty fall. But, she gave me this medication and the pain went away and I actually felt happy. A little dizzy but nothing too bad. I recommend this medication."

Taber3 May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "I was prescribed gabapentin for fibromyalgia 3 weeks ago.. taking 300mg 3x a day after years of trying every depression medication and being in pain killers for back pain for a year. I was consistently unmotivated.. I didn't want to do ANYTHING, had severe body aches, and generally felt like crap with depression and anxiety to top it off! After my first dose of 300mg I felt better within the first 10-30 minutes. I got up and felt like I had purpose.. my anxiety and depressed ceased and my body felt better. I would recommend this to anyone unless you have problems with weight gain. It seems to cause water retention. Also, sometimes I get dyslexic or clumsy.. those are the adverse effects for me, not sure about anyone else?"

freedholly April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fibromyalgia: "Tried this medication twice hoping it would help. Could not take the side effects; frequent urination, anxiety, depression, swollen glands, chest congestion, sweating and chills, and acne. Gave it 1 month and had to stop once realized the connection to my unusual symptoms and the medications side effects"

Gaveitago (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Neuropathic Pain: "I have been taking Gabapentin 300 mg twice a day for 2 years, no side effects, although I am not a diabetic, I have neuropathy of my left heel due to a back problem. Everything a okay until recently I have been having the neuropathy coming back on my left heel. I have increased my dosage to 600 mg twice a day to see if this helps. It is not fun to have an electrical shock run through your heel every 90 seconds 24 hours a day."

Arkysaw247 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Gabapentin works really well for my degenerative disc disease and back arthritis without making me sleepy like opiates. It's not addictive as well. The only downside, after taking it for about 3 months, it seems it's making me gain weight and gives me a lot of gas. And I'm eating less than I did before taking it."

vegasmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have been through many mental health diagnosis and double the amount in meds. I have been officially diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, severe generalized anxiety, situational panic attacks, delayed onset PTSD and a sensory processing disorder. I have tried many many drugs over the years to help with absolutely no luck. Until my therapist recommended gabapentin. Oh my goodness thank that wonderful man. I feel incredible. Absolutely no anxiety. I sleep wonderful at night and have energy during the day. I can tackle most obstacles with out crippling fear and panic. This drug literally saved my life. No real side effects for me which is extra amazing!"

Alliemazzing3 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine: "I have chronic Migraine called Glutamate Storm. First dose of 100mgs made me sleep 36 hours. Before I got the prescription I never slept more than 5 hours per night and often only got 2 hours of sleep per night. But I did not want to take a prescription every day, so I only took it when my ears were ringing really loud and I was sleep deprived. But then I noticed that my chronic cough was always gone the day after taking Gabapentin. So I started taking it every day for that. When I did, my headache and ear ringing got a lot better. I am now taking 400 mgs per day. I had bad breath at first, but it's gone. Dr. says it might have detoxed something. I am all for that. Better out than in. This drug has helped me a lot. And I am not pro-pharma."

Gylm April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Took this drug for 6 months. It did nothing for my mood, but it added inches to my waistline. Worse, it made me scatterbrained as hell, kinda in a sneaky way as I slowly titrated, so that I didn't realize how bad it had affected my brain till I was off it, & suddenly I wasn't a super ditz anymore."

Gone Bananas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2017