User Reviews for Gabapentin (Page 5)

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Cough 2 reviews 787 medications

2.3
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 1 reviews 50 medications

Summary of Gabapentin reviews 1214 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Gabapentin

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Ive been on gabapentin 900mg 3 times a day for a month for the shingles . It does help calm down the nerve pain but it makes me tired. You just have to force yourself to keep physically active. If you are age 50 or older and had chicken pox when you were young i HIGHLY recommend that you get the immunization shot. Im into the tenth week with the shingles. Im going to miss almost the entire deer hunting season because of the way i feel. Since ive been on gabapentin i feel better though."

salmonking October 16, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "RX calls for me to take 600 mg twice a day. This dosage makes me drowsy + I feel like a zombie after taking it. I have cut down to 1/2 tab (300 mg) in the am & 600 mg at bedtime. I can't really tell that this med makes much difference with my nerve pain..."

GGmom09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 16, 2016

For Migraine: "My dgt started having migraines @ 12 yrs old about a year after she started her period, she's 17 now. She's been on over 30 different meds, vitamins, herbs & tried massage, chiro, acupressure & acupuncture. Is now being treated by a neuro. She's been on Gabapentin for a few months w/little relief. They gave her, her first Botox injection in August that helped reduce her migraines until she had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic she passed out, hit her head in the shower & has had migraine since mid September w/o relief. The Dr wants to increase the Gabapentin to 300mg. Not sure if it's a good idea bc seems like the Gabapentin didn't help her. Migraines hav prevented my dgt from having a full life hoping the increase helps"

Miki's Mom October 15, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was on low dose Xanax for 12 years. When coming off it, I had terrible withdrawals and my old Dr wouldn't do anything for me so I was drinking 2-3 times a week and craving it the other 4-5 days. Got a new Dr and he gave me Baclofen and Gabapentin and other than blurred vision and a general dizziness, they have taken away the withdrawals and I have no Anxiety or RLS. I no longer drink and have determined that doing so makes the RLS worse. I no longer crave alcohol. I was able to cold turkey stop the Xanax. I presume the Gabapentin is for RLS and anxiety. I take 400mg 3-4 times a day. (220 pound male) Have been on them about 5 months now. I forget the exact cost, I'm guessing about $18 for 3 months worth. (generic)"

Bham,AL October 13, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Each time my dose was increased I would get light-headed for a couple of days but it was not a serious issue for me."

LaJoya (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I have tried gabapentin several times to make sure it was the culprit. I have horrible nerve damage caused by a wreck. I am in pain and numb always. Well, I've had several bouts with my gallbladder while taking the med. It makes the nerve pain much better, but I can't eat, I vomit profusely, my WHOLE abdomen is sore, I have heartburn that won't go away, I have more gas than Iran, and it's like liquid acid coming out the tail pipe. For me, this medication is a BUST, but clearly others have had better results."

Songbirdallie October 11, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "Been taking 300 at bedtime for two months calling doctor having trouble concentrating on driving and panic attack and nervous type symptoms will driving"

Poppett (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I got results while in rehab on 800 mg twice a day. After 3 back surgeries and 45 radiations. I am lucky to be alive. Nowadays it does nothing for the 360 degree clamping feeling around my chest and back"

Baddabingtmc (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Started Gaba on 8-7-16. I take 900 mg daily (split my dosage.) Remember, Gaba is an off label used for Anxiety & you can't blame it if it doesn't work for anxiety (I find negative reviews for gaba unfair on this site.) I take Prozac 40 mg; but I still have light anxiety, panicky feeling, nausea & mental agitation. I have to use 4 or 5 mg Valium prn to smooth out Prozac can't fix at times. I suggested trying Gaba w/ my psyche; he agreed. 300 mg first wk, 2nd wk 600, & 3rd wk 900. Gaba added has been effective for anxiety. I feel less anxious & mental agitation reduced.At first, Gaba will make you drowsy & weak. My memory is slightly off but if I really focus I am fine.You might feel shaky at the start. Some bad days, be vigorous. Be positive"

No fear...be positive (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with TN one week ago. Pain so bad while on vacation in August, I could not function. Searing hot pin pricks on the entire left side of my face. ER doctor suggested TN or a sinus infection. After a week, the symptoms all but disappeared. After several weeks I started to get twinges of pain around my left upper lip area which progressed to include the whole left side of my face. Thinking this was all about my teeth I saw my dentist. He took x-rays and did an examination and told me he thought I had TN. My NP too suggested TN and will be referring me to a Neurologist. In the meantime I am taking Neurontin 300mg 3x each day. The pain did not stop but has gradually lessened over the 1st week. Looking forward to pain free days!"

Downeast (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have been using 150 mg of trazodone together with 300 mg of gabapentin. Able to sleep most of the time straight through for 6-7 hours with little after effects next day. After suffering with chronic insomnia for over 40 years this is pretty good. Helping me to get off of regular use of ambien and xanax."

statusquobuster (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "A must try for RLS Had RLS for 7 years and was always told it was in my head. After that long leaving my RLS it was getting worse and i was showing signs of depression so i booked myself in the docs (thought i would be put on anti-depressents) i was offered to try gabapentin first to get rid of the cause of depression symptoms. They made me feel drowsy, tierd and clumsy for about 2 weeks and started getting use to them. But i slowly noticed my legs wasnt driving me insaine! They was relaxing for once when my mind was relaxed my legs was too! I have been on them a few months now and it feels great to be able to sleep and not kick around all the time. I feel happier in myself and great to have my legs and brain comunicating properly"

Kicksy.girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "I am on meds for depression and they're working. Thank God. Anxiety is an issue, so my psychiatrist prescribed gabapentin, 300mg. The suggested dosage is one, 4x per day. I don't do that but instead take it when I'm feeling anxious and it works like a charm. Plus it helps me fall and stay asleep. Am hungrier but I can control that. Great medication."

Redsoxnation (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "Battled a paralyzing anxiety for years. A friend let me try some of his gabapentin and I never went back! Yes there are some weird side effects but u get used to them. I am a trail runner and motorcycle rider and it never impaired me either way. My take on it is simple - if u need gabapentin for anxiety it is incredible. If gabapentin doesn't help your anxiety - it might not be anxiety you havever, I'm no doctor. Just my opinion."

Nosneve_naes (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 30, 2016

Neurontin (gabapentin) for Postherpetic Neuralgia: "Prescribed for nerve pain following shingles after crippling left hand side pain that did not respond to standard analgesia. two unexpected beneficial side effects have occurred. My long term and almost permanent anxiety ( we are talking 35 years ) has been greatly reduced. The problem that I had following a transient ischamic attack some five years prior where my bodies idea of the spacial position of my left leg via external stimulus did not agree with my visual perception and viewing my leg caused a strange spacial readjustment where the leg shifted four inches to the left but in reality stayed still. My visual acuity also improved as if everything was lit by stage lighting."

Anonymous September 30, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Don't know much about gabapetin. Dr hesitated putting mr on it. Find relief taking Hypericum perf. (From St. John's wort) it is anatural product. When my pain flares up I use it. It usually decreases the pain 50-75 %. It is cheap."

Sunrise 10 September 29, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I had been taking Amitriptyline for 6 years, and at flare ups was also topped up with Gabapentine, however I didn't feel the Gabatentin was helping more than the Amitriptyline, so just stuck with Amitriptyline, and road the flare ups.. BUT after 6 years I was SICK of the "drugged up" feelings in the mornings, (and not seeing them!!) so finally went back to my doc for a drug review. She suggested trying Gabapentin on it's own at a higher dose (200mgs 3 times a day to start with, upping if required) and all I can say is, WOW, I have my life back! I am awake in the mornings, I am relatively pain free, (yes I still have background pain and occasional false ups, but at a level low enough for me to manage in other ways,)"

redlizzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "My anxiety & depression were well controlled on cymbalta. I was put on Gabapentin for neuropathy, at first it helped with pain in one spot, then as my dose was increased I began to experience side effects. 1) Even with taking it at 5 or 6 pm with food I would sleep for 14-17 hours 2)I could not remember things, I could not think straight. My intellect was impaired. I never could build up a tolerance for taking it in the day time. 3) I became depressed & anxious---I feel like I lost weeks of my life I will never get back. 4) I had a creepy crawly sensation in my feet that felt like I was walking on sandpaper. I have been an RN for 42 years. I do not do recreational drugs, smoke or abuse narcotics. I drink alcohal once or twice a ye"

chronic pain/anxiety/depressio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

For Transverse Myelitis: "My max dosage was 300mg 3xdaily, it eased the worst of the neuralgia(stinging and burning) and even the numb/tingling sensation. However, it interacted poorly with all other medications I took. I could not mix it with Baclofen nor ANY OTC allergy medicines that were effective for me. Outside of medication interaction I had one side effect; not being able to orgasm, which was hard enough due the lack of normal sensation I have. I did discontinue the Gabapentin but only because I needed effective allergy control more than I wanted neuro pain management."

AnonymissD September 26, 2016

For Pain: "Okay, I want to start off by clarifying that this med won't work for everyone. But when it does work, it is amazing. This drug has been a godsend. I have Lupus which has caused me to have horrible pains to where I can't sleep. I now can sleep through the night because of this med. I was on 400 mg of methadone and I still had pain. So, the doctor added gabapentin and started to taper the methadone. I am now only on gabapentin and it is wonderful. With that being, when you first start taking it, you will feel drink and clumsy. However, those side effects go a way. This medication works best the longer you take it. Good Luck!"

April H (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 24, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Originally I was prescribed this and Meloxicam as a two-pronged approach for pain, and it has reduced my opioid dosages. Let's say my pain management doctor had me on levels greater than given to cancer patients. When my PM increased it to that level, my primary took over. First I was taking Gabapentin 200mg 3x. However, still having sleep issues. She sent me to a neurologist and she changed how I take it, kept the dosage. Now, I take 200mg at noon, and 400mg two hours before I go to sleep. What a difference it made. And it still helps with pain management as it was originally prescribed. Due soon for an increase. It helped reduce my opioid dosage."

GMFlorida September 23, 2016

For Anxiety: "I am not a fan of this med. I started taking it for anxiety and it caused vision changes and major sedation for me even at a low dose. I stayed on it for a few years because did help some with anxiety. I just recently decided to come off of it and to my surprise there are withdrawals. My whole body aches, and I feel sick and have no appetite. I took my last dose a week ago and the withdrawals are still very noticeable. I know some people that have said Neurontin helped them a lot but for me it offered slight anxiety relief, sedated me, caused blurred vision and made me mentally slower."

Tsuluzo012 September 23, 2016

For Neuropathic Pain: "I'm struggling with sciatica pain with makes me barely walking. I'm on 900mg 3 times a day and gaba doesn't make any different at all... still in massive pain and in my opinion is just worse... doesn't do trick for me so I need to visit my GP to find different solution.. but that just me everybody are individual..."

mike 1986 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2016

For Hot Flashes: "Started having severe hot flashes and night sweats to where I could barely function (was almost suicidal). I couldn't take hormones as mom developed a blood clot from hers. I read that gabapentin might help. I happened to have some 300 mg's in the cabinet from herniated disks in neck several months prior so I decided to give them a try. IMMEDIATELY they took affect and have been an absolutely blessing for about 8 months.... HOWEVER... I have just started to get the night sweats again but not as bad as before. I have been taking 300mg every morning all this time. I was hoping to drop the dosage to 100 mg just because I want to take a little meds as possible. I'm going to try 100 mg in morning and 100 at night and see if this spreads it out!"

K... (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2016

For Pain: "This drug has saved my life. I had a bad fall and laid for 20hrs before anyone found me. I now have severe nerve damage in my legs and feet. It helps the nerve pain definitely!"

Bad Fall (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016