User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

"This was prescribed for peripheral neuropathic pain from Lovastatin. It seemed to help with the pain but did not realize how it was affecting my memory and that it actually caused more pain that disappeared when I quit it. It was developed for seizures not approved by FDA for off label like pain. Known since 2009, interferes with brain making new synapses and can shrink the brain. It interferes with memory, recall of words/names was repeating myself and balance impaired. Drained energy. Causes mental fog It damages mitochondria and now considered one of the most deadly drugs. I feel so much better. I hope my brain will recover. Relative Lyrica has same risks."

Judith Peoho (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 31, 2017

"I was prescribed gabapentin for mild peripheral neuropathy. Doc had me build up from 100mg week 1, 200mg week 2, then 100mg 3 times per day thereafter. Severe side effects even with this low dose! Losing balance, dizzy, memory problems, coordination problems, foggy. I hate it and weaning down, I take it twice a day now and will go down to once a day for a week then stop."

Lucy747 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

"I feel more aggressive, angry, unable to focus on things for a long period of time, weight gain"

Mayberry RFD December 2, 2017

"I was prescribed Gabapentin before because I was having nerve pain in my right arm, without that medicine I couldn't go one second without being in pain. Now my doctor prescribed me Gabapentin again, because I'm a Type 2 Diabetic, who was recently diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy..I can barely walk without taking this medicine. It helps make the pain more bearable. This medicine is a lifesaver"

NightRaven92 (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

"I have pheripheral neuropathy in my feet. Took 300 mg Gabapentin for a month; no help at all..600mg was major difference. Pain in feet, which was severe, was reduced 80-90 %. So far, 3 months on that dose ( 3 times a day) working great. Am able too resume walking (1-2 miles) for exercise several times a week."

Anotheroldgeezer (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2017

"I am 70 years old and as a result of hockey injuries I have a degenerated disc in my lower back and developed neuropathy in both my legs and feet. During the day time my feet felt like they were on fire and I had severe prickly sensations and at night I had involuntary muscle contraction in my legs that got so bad my kicking became violent. I could usually tell when it was going to happen, but I couldn't stop it. My Doctor prescribed me a 30 day trial of 300 mg twice a day. Within a couple of days I noticed a definite improvement and within a week I was no longer having the neuropathy symptoms other than an occassional tingling in my toes. In addition my lower back pain subsided and the arthritis in my shoulder and hip joints. I'm happy."

1st time user October 9, 2017

"I am an 82 year old, non-diabetic. I have been taking Gabapentin (and other drugs) for peripheral neuropathy since September 1997 - 30 YEARS.. I am now addicted to it, thanks in most part to the VA's "Healthcare System". I've been taking 900 mgs three times a day which frequently does little to no good. Several times a week, I am awake for more than 36 hours straight because of the severe shooting pain; and now have uncontrollable seizures in my right leg and numbness in both feet and ankles. The VA doctor wants MY permission to increase the dosage to the maximum of 1200 mgs three times a day. No Thanks!"

Old Geezer September 22, 2017

"I was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve entrapment related pain. I'm 31, slightly overweight, but otherwise healthy according to my last round of physicals. I also am not diabetic. My doctor recommended 300 mg, three times per day. Gabapentin made me tired, forgetful, imbalanced, temperamental, emotional, dizzy, decreased my short term memory and ultimately made me sluggish in thought. The only thing Gabapentin did not do was relieve pain. I gave it 30 days before discontinuing. It took two months before my thoughts and memory were no longer sluggish. (I literally had delayed speech, slurred speech and developed a stutter.)"

JayMN (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2017

"Had surgery 17 mths ago L2 -S1 bulging herniated discs & severe spinal stenosis. Doc scraped too close to spinal canal; had to repair spinal fluid leak. Ended up w/foot drop & severe neuropathy below knee to toes. Surgeon ordered Gabapentin b4 surgery; increased gradually out of desperation after surgery as pain unbearable. Is still bad 2 x's; often sign I've missed a dose. I take 200mg. 2x/day & 900mg @ bedtime, total daily dose 1300mg. I also take Baclofen & Meloxicam. I'll say I would be out of my mind from pain if not for Gabapentin. I've had some blurry vision early a.m. that hangs on for short time, probably from higher bedtime dose, but otherwise no problems. I'm so, so thankful for this med."

Goldie Girl August 23, 2017

"Has had no effect"

renegilo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2017

"My surgeons PA has me on a very low dose of hydro, (had back surgery less than 2 weeks ago), & after a week of still being in pain, he added Gabapentin 600mg 3x/day. I woke from surgery & the bottom of my right foot was no longer numb, below my knee to my ft the pain was near gone, (prior to surgery my ankle hurt so bad it felt broken 95% of time), & the pain in my thigh & hip was rapidly decreased daily.Yay my surgery was a success! So the only real pain I continued to have was from surgery itself (they shaved bone from L5 & removed bulge) After being on Gaba for about 1 wk, numbness is returning. I've experienced this before from another nerve med, so I KNOW it's the Gaba! I see him next week, but I'm reducing dose gradually to 0 by then.More side effects like other's too."

Back surgery done (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

"CATSPAW I read your post....hang in there. You say your legs hurt at night? I am going through the sam thing. I have difficulty walking too. What I suggest to use (I use too) get yourself a pair of medical grade knee high compression socks. These will help you heaps as they did with me. I wear them all day and even when I go to bed. Hang in there....Hope this helps."

yankeelady2015 (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

"Effectiveness of the drug for neuropathy in hands and feet was negated by side effects, including: Severe 24/7 headaches; wild crazy dreams that woke me up at night. The pharmacist said these symptoms usually went away after 2 weeks, but after 2 months they persisted, and other side effects seemed to be increasing. I had taken Neurontin in the past, and Lyrica, with no problems whatsoever. When researching side effects, was very surprised to read that these side effects where specific to the generic formulation. Went off, and all the side effects slowly subsided, taking about 2+ weeks to completely end."

ksquared (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

"This drug did nothing for my pain and caused such severe problems that I could not remember words, it causes brain synapses issues!"

Curlymamaw (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2017

"I'm supposed to take 900 mg 3x per day. However, because of the dopey side I've cut it back to one 900 mg dosage at night. I'm currently taking 30mg Norco, 20mg Zoloft and an anti-inflammatory @ one 10mg N in the morning w/the meloxicam. The rest at night. I also supplement with cannabis. This has been going on for 3 years. My pain is barely breached, unless it is a VERY nice day outside. When the weather changes, the pain is intolerable. Arthritis sucks. My pain is a result of extreme body use. Sports, Military and work options have beat me down. But the Zoloft and Gabapentin work well together and I can focus,(kind of.)"

Guitar Jack (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2017

"I am a 1.5 or Latent autoimmune diabetes (LADA) diabetic with fibromyalgia and severe PN. I was given Gabapentin 300mg to start and I am now up to 3 times a day. I get very drowsy from the medication, but without it there is no way I can sleep or walk. It has been very helpful for me, though I am once again having troubles sleeping and wonder if an additional pain medication might help manage the gabapentin in relief or if perhaps I should try a different medication. I'm not sure if there is a tolerance level for Gabapentin, but for small PN and nerve issues, it has been a very effective medication."

Blackhole Quasar March 28, 2017

"I took Dilantin for 15 years --- which is why I suffer from P.N. I am on other anti-seizure drugs and anti-depressants. I do not know if those meds have delayed or ameliorated my P.N, but I am now 67 and the P.N. is finally getting bad. No reflexes No feeling in my feet Restless leg Stabbing pain in my feet which can make walking very hard. I 'save' Gabapentin for the worst symptoms since it makes me sleepy and I do not want to get addicted to the relief it gives me. But when I cannot relieve the nerve pain in any other way, Gabapentin is a life savior."

Pam M February 19, 2017

"I am 43 years old I was recently prescribed gabapentin for morphine withdrawal maintenance. I'm kinda happy with gabbys it really calms me down and helps with nerve and bone pains, I really only have one major side effect from gabapentin which is if I stand up to fast I feel kinda light headed, sometimes I have to sit back down or I might fall down, but thats something I can learn to live with, this side effect, I'll stay on it for a while see what long term use is like, I've had a lot of friends prescribed gabbys and they seem ok, one thing I really enjoy is how calm I am on them."

JayRoyBoy February 9, 2017

"I take 800 mg of gabapentin 4 times a day plus Savella 50 mg x2 plus a special B complex 2x a day. While my pain is better, I can't exercise, walk any real distance and dread evenings when my legs hurt worst and feel like lead. I am a tightly controlled diabetic with an A1C of under 6 and yet the neuropathy is at times unbearable. I was diagnosed with diabetes 4 months after my symptoms started and was checked for diabetes regularly. I don't get it. I have done everything I can to control this disease. I also had 17 spinal procedures including ablations to kill the nerves. Nothing helps. Any suggestions? Don't know how much more I can take."

CatsPaw55 February 2, 2017

"I have arthritis in my neck, which causes severe nerve pain. I am not a fan of medications. I use normally only alternative medicine. I am taking 300 mg at night. The first night I was knocked out. When I opened my eyes my first thought was no pain. I got up and everything started spinning. The dizziness lasted until 3:00 pm. I was glad it was Saturday. I hated the feeling! I thought okay I give it a couple days... During the day the constant pain was almost not persistent. It started hurting only in certain movements. Overall pain was a 3. I was able to do all my exercises. 2nd day dizziness reduced, pain level 3. Still not comparable. Mood is better without the severe pain. I was given an anti-inflammatory celecoxib 200 mg."

T.J (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

"It was given to my 91 yr. old mother 3 times a day for the nerve damage in her feet. The medicine relieved her pain, but she became very lethargic. There were days when she she was so out of it she could not sit 5 minutes without falling asleep. She had swelling in her knees, hand tremors and was not able to communicate properly. Only after I read about the side effects did I realize her condition was possibly because of the neurotin. The Dr. changed it from 3 times to 2 times a day and in a matter of 2 days my mother was back to herself and her foot problem was much better."

Bustamove January 11, 2017

"I have SLE Lupus, I'm a diabetic and I'm on dialysis. I'm currently taking gabapentin 300mg daily. Before dialysis I was taking 300mg 3x a day. The Nephalogist says taking more than 300mg daily would be harmful to me and because of the decrease dosage I still have the pain. It's more like an really intense burning and itching sensation. I can't go any where or do anything because right now the only relief I get is when I'm rubbing my feet. Sometimes it does this and my blood sugar is normal like right now. My podiatrist won't change back my prescription based on what my nephalogist says. I'm miserable right now and don't know what else I can do. Please somebody help! "

Chariserae January 11, 2017

"I have a mild case of neuropathy. My symptoms are sharp pains and burning in my feet and hands, sensitivity to touch especially on my feet. The neurologist has me on 300mg of gabapentin three time a day. My symptoms are alleviated so much I can not believe it. I sleep better at night and don't wake up. I am over all relaxed. I feel calm most of the day. It works for me great."

Pebbles & Bam Bam November 3, 2016

"Been taking 300 at bedtime for two months calling doctor having trouble concentrating on driving and panic attack and nervous type symptoms will driving"

Poppett (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2016

"First and foremost I have been taking Gabapentin 100mg daily and it knocked about 75% of my symptoms out. The bad started after 5 months. Massive instant mood changes, feelings of wanting to hurt others for no reason were the worst. I had people tell me I was 2 diff people minutes apart. Needles and pins, burning slowly returning. Going back to dr to change it or somehow just deal with the pain. I'm a passive person and I was becoming a monster. I will live in pain instead of being a saint one minute then a monster minutes later. Love the relief but not the side effects."

Agitated and ambulatory (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2016