User Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

Also known as: Neurontin, Gralise, Gabarone, Fanatrex

Gabapentin has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 165 ratings for the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy. 48% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin

Dingle Cricket · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 5, 2020

“I have been on gabapentin for about 4 years ending up with 600mg three times a day - it is for nerve pain. No help whatsoever for the searing pain I still get. I believe it’s prescribed because it’s a cheap drug and only partly does the job. This drug was originally prescribed for people suffering from seizures and fits to control the brain and was considered useful for nerve pain. As far as I’m concerned it doesn’t work and there should be more research into this debilitating illness. Of course as a result of neuropathy you can get neuropathic ulcers which are incredibly painful. The NHS offer nothing for these. I’m not a diabetic, I don’t drink and don’t have any if the listed conditions which might cause neuropathy so Im pretty annoyed about the lack of knowledge in treating this illness.”

Lindy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 28, 2020

“I was prescribed 100mg gabapentin at night first, then 200mg at 5pm and the 100mg hour before bed. Took 3 weeks for results. Interestingly, it was pretty constant relief after it took effect. Helped legs and feet and as time went on, my back was relieved. I'm such a fan of this drug, hope it works out for a long time. Great to have legs and feet feeling better!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 18, 2021

“I've been taking Gabapentin for a year. I've tried all the drugs used for neuropathy & it's the only one that helps without side effects. This disease has caused electrical sparks through my feet & legs, numbness in my toes & balls of the feet, cramping, a hard wooden-like swelling in the balls of the feet that makes it so I can't walk flat foot anymore. I can't walk without my Birkenstocks, I can't run, jump or exercise on my feet. There is rippling that runs through my feet & legs. All this madness is eased a little with the Gabapentin so I can at least live day to day. I'm taking 600 mg 3 times a day. I was taking 900 3 times a day, but have been able to cut back some. It truly awful way to live & I'm only 61.”

tryingabapentin · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2014

“I have been taking Gabapentin for about two weeks now, starting at 300mg at night which knocked me out! I had been having terrible pain in hips and legs, and sciatic pain at night, and tingling/ numbness in hands in the morning. It made me sleepy the first week but now starting to get used to it. Still a little clumsy but getting better. Now increased dose to 300mg at bedtime and 300mg in the morning after breakfast. I feel so much better now. Side effects other than sleepiness are not apparent so I am much encouraged. Thank you Gabapentin!”

pags · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 22, 2014

“I have been taking gabapentin in significant doses (900mg/4xday). When it is time for me to take a dose my upper back and my arms will begin to tingle and become cold and my hands will begin to burn. If I wait my arms and back will become very cold and no amount of heat will help. Once I take my dose my symptoms will subside in 15 to 30 minutes. I take my gabapentin with a 5 mg tab of oxycodone which I take for a variety of serious pain and I think that the combination is much more effective for dealing with neuropathy. I have not found any studies that support my observation. I suffer no side effects from this medication.”

Myown Destiny · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2019

“This gabapentin medication has been a miracle drug for me. I have many health problems, and this med has 1) Decreased my peripheral neuropathy pain in multiple areas. 2) with ataxia - I was falling forward/sideways. It stopped it completely! 3) I am able to be around people now for the first time in 18yrs with out having severe anxiety attacks and finding the nearest exit. 4) for the first time in 18 yrs I have an appetite rather than just eating because my body needs fuel. 5) I am sleeping better. 6) I feel peaceful & happy, rather than just saying I am! I was a nurse and my life changed overnight, now 19 yrs later, Gabapentin is helping me live a better quality of life TY.”

Megstoo · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2014

“I was put on gabapentin right after back surgery on my L4 L5 S1 S2 lower lumbar spine. After 2 years from surgery I still remain on this medicine due to permanent nerve damage. This medicine managed to calm my nerves at night and get rid of the pain allowing me to fall asleep. I am on 200 mg a night but sometimes only need 100mg. It has been a lifesaver. I don't take this during the day due to the drowsiness side effect but it works wonderful. I do wake up extremely thirsty though.”

rmckanne · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2013

“Started gabapentin at 300 mg daily. Moving up an extra 300 mg every 3 days. Was extremely sleepy for over two weeks with little or no pain relief...until I started taking 2400 mgs, 600 mgs three times daily. At this dosage my pain level dropped significantly and the drowsiness side effect stopped. The pain had been so intense I'd been feeling suicidal...and even opiates were not controlling it. Now, with the 2400 mg daily dose of gabapentin my neuropathy pain is very well controlled and life is good again. I have experienced no side effects since the first few weeks of drowsiness. Don't let doctors tell you that if 900 mg daily doesn't relieve your pain...that the medicine won't work for you. 1800 mg to 3600 mg is a working dose.”

PMWilson July 29, 2016

“Do your research. If the lowest dose of gabapentin does not work, higher doses will not either. I was prescribed GABA as soon as I was diagnosed with PN due to a side effect for a biologic I had been taking for rheumatoid arthritis. I experienced rapid weight gain, disorientation, and my short term memory was non-existent. My neurologist increased my dosage 2x, with no success. I did some research on my own and spoke to my rheumatologist and pain management doctor. They both agreed: if the lowest dose doesn't work, then it won't work... It'll just cloud your mind. Stanford University published a study deterring the prescribing of this medication for neuropathy, as did the University of Vancouver, British Columbia. The efficacy rate is 10%.”

Anonymous February 21, 2020

“I have peripheral neuropathy that extends from my toes to mid thigh. Total tingling and numbness. I take 600 mg three times a day. I still have burning but it is slight. It has done nothing for my numbness. I think it has affected my thinking abilities some and I have no focus. I wish I didn’t have to take it.”

GlennJon · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 28, 2014

“Before taking gabapentin I had difficulty walking and getting a good night's sleep. I would constantly get shooting pains up and down my legs, as well as both feet. In just a few days after beginning taking gabapentin, the majority of the shooting pain in the legs subsided. The pain in the feet is more tolerable as well. Just wonder how long this "miracle" medicine will continue working for me.”

KleeYel · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 14, 2018

“I see there are many reactions to taking Gabapentin...some bad and some good. I can only report my experience which to me was a miracle. I have had pretty bad neuropathy in my feel and lower legs, with severe restless legs which I'd been taking trazadone for for several years, but it was reaching a point where even that wasn't helping the RLS. My new doctor put me on gabapentin and it truly was miraculous for me. I am 75 in a couple of months and in what I consider fairly good health. I no longer have RLS at night and the numbness and pain in feet and legs has greatly subsided. I told my doctor I loved him (which probably frightened the young guy!), but I feel better than I have in years. Guess we all react differently to meds...just have to keep in touch with our docs when we notice something wrong!”

ArizonaMaggy April 23, 2012

Neurontin (gabapentin): “After visiting a neurologist for burning and tingling pain in both feet, I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and pre-diabetes. (I'm slender, always ate a well-balanced diet, and exercised.) I tried various medications but the side effects outweighed an pain relief. I have been on Gabapentin (neurontin) 200mg at night for four years. It doesn't relieve all pain, but it does allow me to sleep through the night. I wake up every morning in pain, which continues on and off all day. However, I have very little side effect (occasional sadness, irritability, nausea). Neurontin allows me to have a reasonable quality of life, and very inexpensive.”

Krazymj5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 2, 2014

“I have been taking 300mg of gabapentin 4 weeks ago for moderate neuropathy. My biggest problem was radiating intense pain from the little toe on my right foot. Within days, my pain was totally gone. However, I am constantly very sleepy. Hopefully that will subside over time.”

J sandmom49 September 2, 2014

“I have systemic lupus, and was put on gabapentin for continued pain several weeks ago, despite control of my disease I have not felt this good in 5 years. Can actually sleep through the night, and wake up in no pain! Thank you gabapentin, I now actually feel I have hope to get back to a normal life.”

Pebbles & Bam Bam November 3, 2016

“I have a mild case of neuropathy. My symptoms are sharp pains and burning in my feet and hands, sensitivity to touch especially on my feet. The neurologist has me on 300mg of gabapentin three time a day. My symptoms are alleviated so much I can not believe it. I sleep better at night and don't wake up. I am over all relaxed. I feel calm most of the day. It works for me great.”

itsme · Taken for 10 years or more October 12, 2020

“I've been on Gabapentin since 2008. Transverse Myelitis caused nerve pain in both feet and cramping. Started with 6 pills 300MG per day. Then few years later went down to 2 pills per day. Now up to 4 pills per day. I don't think it works anymore and I knew this would happen eventually. I could increase but I don't want to gain weight. Gabapentin numbs the nerve pain and lets me work and walk and keep up. At night before bed though is another story. I want to cut my feet off. The burning sometimes cramping is really bad. I could heat up a room with my feet. I'll look up other meds and find a better neurologist. Also changing my diet. I'm still young so I need to find something to help. Decades of pain are not fun to look forward to. I'm glad the drug worked this long. I'll also find some cbd oil to take now too.”

sturnell · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2014

“I have suffered with lumber degenerative disc disease at L5, L4, L3, spinal instability and prolapsed discs at L5 and L4 since being first diagnosed officially in approx 2006 resulting in chronic low back pain and sciatica. I had a discetomy and laminectomy at L5 / L4 but the surgery failed 7 weeks out of surgery. I had nerve impingment at multiple levels including left, right and central prolapses (again) with slight neural compression along with narrowing of the neural foramina and lateral recess on both sides. In plain English = I could not not walk. After trying everything else, they put me on Gabapentin. I am now on 3600mg / day and I went from being unable to walk or stand to walking and being almost pain free after 1 week, Miracle!”

serendipity · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

“I'm aged 81 and have peripheral neuropathy (leg dragging, feet numb) + canal stenosis and herniated discs (L4/5). I'm frightened of getting this 'saddle anaesthesia' I think they call it, but I try to stay active. I've been put on a low dose gabapentin (100mg at night), to titrate upwards. I'm now on 200mg at night and l00 mg. a.m. No effects as yet, am I being optimistic/impatient/? There doesn't seem to be much clinical research on the over 80's - it just seems a case of trial and error. Anyone with similar experience?”

Rebel Reviewer July 26, 2019

“If I could give it no stars I would! This stuff is for the birds! For the last 3 to 4 years I have been on 300 Mg taken 3 timess a day, and it is for my peripheral neuropathy. For the first month to 2 months it helped some with the pain and the stabbing sensations etc. It didn't take it away but made it bearable, then it stopped working. I kept telling my doctor it wasn't doing anything any more it was like I was taking nothing even if I took it 4 or more times in a day - all they said was" Only take it 3 times as prescribed". Finally after about 5 years they gave me a higher milligram dose, now for the last 3 months It's been 600mg 3x's a day, however I can't take a full pill I have to snap them in half and take half in the morning, Half in the afternoon, and another Half before bed. Anything more and I'm a zombie for 3 days straight, groggy and can't keep my eyes open, I have cotton mouth, feels like I"m outside of my body, overall it's a very doped up feeling, all the while dealing with the pain, the stabbing, the shooting pains etc. etc.”

Roy s July 20, 2014

“Ex football player through NCAA and a little bit beyond. In my 40's after years of suffering I had a lumbar fusion followed 2 years later by cervical fusion..been on opiate pain relievers for 12 years. Of course many are familiar with what can happen with these medicines over a long period. Long story short, I am off the opiates, but still have my pain at age 56. Got Doc to prescribe Gabapentin. This is the first week and it's gotten rid of all the stiffness (I seize up muscularly with physical activity) and knocked out all but localized pain at the surgery sites. So I add Naproxen Sodium which also adds to the absorption of gabapentin. I'm functioning.”

Inpaintoolong · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 14, 2016

“Wow. I have been on opiates and neurontin for about 4 years now for debilitating pain in my neck and sacroiliac joint dysfunction among other things too long to list. At first the opiates helped for my pains but as time has gone by they have become a nightmare to deal with. Having to keep upping the doses because they stop working and not to mention the serious constipation that comes with these meds. So i woke up today and decided to only take the Gabapentin..all at once (that would be 2400mg). OMG..i am not in pain, my mood is so incredibly happy and my anxiety is also gone. I have energy...Something i did not have for a looong time!! I am going to try and see if mayyybe i can get off the horrible opiates and stick with my Gaba gaba do!!”

Steve Hayes · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2013

“I'm 82. I have peripheral neuropathy. The doctors I've seen are surprised that I have this condition since I am not or ever have been diabetic, and I'm enormously fit for my age. I go to the gym for two hours of intensive workout six days a week. I also eat healthily. But there is no denying I have peripheral neuropathy, and taking Gabapentin has given me wonderful relief from pain and tingling in both feet. I'm grateful for this and would recommend the medicine to anyone. I take a light dosage (300mg) on days that the pain is severe; but often do not take any medicines for two to three days at a time. Thank you Gabapentin.”

slotiac · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

“Gabapentin made me feel drunk when I started taking it, became incontinent at night and also lost sense of balance & coordination. I have stopped using it and now seek other remedies for my feet, legs and hands neuropathy. Herbal remedies are next to be tried.”

PomLuv December 31, 2019

“I was prescribed gabapentin three years ago for sharp stabbing pains in my feet and hands that would wake me up at night; hard to get back to sleep. Eight years prior to that I herniated three lumbar discs and also diagnosed with severe lower back arthritis. I started with 300 mg before bedtime and it helped tremendously but I would be dopey until noon next day so doctor suggested cutting back to 100 or 200 mg daily. I backed off to 100 and it was not effective enough so went up to 200mg dose and that was the sweet spot. It has also helped with back pain at night resulting in better sleep.”