User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

"I took Dilantin for 15 years --- which is why I suffer from P.N. I am on other anti-seizure drugs and anti-depressants. I do not know if those meds have delayed or ameliorated my P.N, but I am now 67 and the P.N. is finally getting bad. No reflexes No feeling in my feet Restless leg Stabbing pain in my feet which can make walking very hard. I 'save' Gabapentin for the worst symptoms since it makes me sleepy and I do not want to get addicted to the relief it gives me. But when I cannot relieve the nerve pain in any other way, Gabapentin is a life savior."

Pam M February 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am 43 years old I was recently prescribed gabapentin for morphine withdrawal maintenance. I'm kinda happy with gabbys it really calms me down and helps with nerve and bone pains, I really only have one major side effect from gabapentin which is if I stand up to fast I feel kinda light headed, sometimes I have to sit back down or I might fall down, but thats something I can learn to live with, this side effect, I'll stay on it for a while see what long term use is like, I've had a lot of friends prescribed gabbys and they seem ok, one thing I really enjoy is how calm I am on them."

JayRoyBoy February 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I take 800 mg of gabapentin 4 times a day plus Savella 50 mg x2 plus a special B complex 2x a day. While my pain is better, I can't exercise, walk any real distance and dread evenings when my legs hurt worst and feel like lead. I am a tightly controlled diabetic with an A1C of under 6 and yet the neuropathy is at times unbearable. I was diagnosed with diabetes 4 months after my symptoms started and was checked for diabetes regularly. I don't get it. I have done everything I can to control this disease. I also had 17 spinal procedures including ablations to kill the nerves. Nothing helps. Any suggestions? Don't know how much more I can take."

CatsPaw55 February 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have arthritis in my neck, which causes severe nerve pain. I am not a fan of medications. I use normally only alternative medicine. I am taking 300 mg at night. The first night I was knocked out. When I opened my eyes my first thought was no pain. I got up and everything started spinning. The dizziness lasted until 3:00 pm. I was glad it was Saturday. I hated the feeling! I thought okay I give it a couple days... During the day the constant pain was almost not persistent. It started hurting only in certain movements. Overall pain was a 3. I was able to do all my exercises. 2nd day dizziness reduced, pain level 3. Still not comparable. Mood is better without the severe pain. I was given an anti-inflammatory celecoxib 200 mg."

T.J (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It was given to my 91 yr. old mother 3 times a day for the nerve damage in her feet. The medicine relieved her pain, but she became very lethargic. There were days when she she was so out of it she could not sit 5 minutes without falling asleep. She had swelling in her knees, hand tremors and was not able to communicate properly. Only after I read about the side effects did I realize her condition was possibly because of the neurotin. The Dr. changed it from 3 times to 2 times a day and in a matter of 2 days my mother was back to herself and her foot problem was much better."

Bustamove January 11, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have SLE Lupus, I'm a diabetic and I'm on dialysis. I'm currently taking gabapentin 300mg daily. Before dialysis I was taking 300mg 3x a day. The Nephalogist says taking more than 300mg daily would be harmful to me and because of the decrease dosage I still have the pain. It's more like an really intense burning and itching sensation. I can't go any where or do anything because right now the only relief I get is when I'm rubbing my feet. Sometimes it does this and my blood sugar is normal like right now. My podiatrist won't change back my prescription based on what my nephalogist says. I'm miserable right now and don't know what else I can do. Please somebody help! "

Chariserae January 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have a mild case of neuropathy. My symptoms are sharp pains and burning in my feet and hands, sensitivity to touch especially on my feet. The neurologist has me on 300mg of gabapentin three time a day. My symptoms are alleviated so much I can not believe it. I sleep better at night and don't wake up. I am over all relaxed. I feel calm most of the day. It works for me great."

Pebbles & Bam Bam November 3, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Been taking 300 at bedtime for two months calling doctor having trouble concentrating on driving and panic attack and nervous type symptoms will driving"

Poppett (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"First and foremost I have been taking Gabapentin 100mg daily and it knocked about 75% of my symptoms out. The bad started after 5 months. Massive instant mood changes, feelings of wanting to hurt others for no reason were the worst. I had people tell me I was 2 diff people minutes apart. Needles and pins, burning slowly returning. Going back to dr to change it or somehow just deal with the pain. I'm a passive person and I was becoming a monster. I will live in pain instead of being a saint one minute then a monster minutes later. Love the relief but not the side effects."

Agitated and ambulatory (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"i have fibromyalgia,oa as well as ra.i had been on morphine 1800mgs daily for almost 8yrs.and it helped me escape from the abusive man i was married to(now divorced) and went thru the total hell of withdrawl ive never experienced since that 20 yr marriage!!the withdrawl of the opiates were worth it to get myself and my 2 teen sons lives in order.im currently on gabapentin 300mgs a day,and what a miracle drug its been without the hateful narcotics!! "

luvy September 2, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Gabapentin tends to dull the sharp pains of peripheral neuropathy, but it doesn't actually get rid of pain. That said, the more generalized sensation can make it easier to do ADL tasks as needed, since you *might* be able to feel other things in the same area as the neuropathic pain. That said, mine is related to MS... on bad days, it seems the Gabapentin does nothing at all."

Ken L. August 26, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Type 2 diabetic with PN and intense lower back pain from severe disc degeneration. Just started Gabapentin 2 weeks ago at 100mg 3x daily. First week I felt fabulous. The pins & needles subsided considerably & I was sleeping at night again. Now I noticed it is back again. Will see Dr. about increasing dose but am concerned about possible side affects as I also take Cymbalta, HBP meds, Metformin, insulin and heart meds."

Grubbypaws August 14, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Do your research. If the lowest dose of gabapentin does not work, higher doses will not either. I was prescribed GABA as soon as I was diagnosed with PN due to a side effect for a biologic I had been taking for rheumatoid arthritis. I experienced rapid weight gain, disorientation, and my short term memory was non-existent. My neurologist increased my dosage 2x, with no success. I did some research on my own and spoke to my rheumatologist and pain management doctor. They both agreed: if the lowest dose doesn't work, then it won't work... It'll just cloud your mind. Stanford University published a study deterring the prescribing of this medication for neuropathy, as did the University of Vancouver, British Columbia. The efficacy rate is 10%."

PMWilson July 29, 2016

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Ronlngbch#1 thank you for your article ; I have had minor l5 budge for 20 years with minor numbness in right thigh three week ago I started getting the worst shooting pain in the middle of night and standing up if I sit in same spot for 15 minuet's the intense pain would last 15 seconds to a minuet but the only way I can describe it is my muscle being ripped off the bone.(WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE) Dr. started me at 300 mg 3 times a day on day two already feel better I didn't even wake up last night. I was hoping it worked fast on some one else too so I know its not just a placebo effect . insurance was making me do a whole song & dance to get Lyrical I called Dr. office & he faxed in the gabapentin"

bigdog in milwaukee July 9, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My doctor has me taken 1800mg a day and its still not helping me with my pain. I can't go out cause my legs hurt as soon as I stand up. My arms hurt I have trouble doing house work basically all I do is stay home. I hate gabapentin"

dori196988888888888888888 June 21, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have generally good luck with Gabapentin on neuropathy, though my doctor wants me to try lyrica. Neurontin stops the pins and needles of neuropathy, but not the pain. It's an improvement. It also has a strange calming effect overall. I'm ok with that. I hope the lyrica works as well. The big advantage there would be once daily dosing. If I missa dose of Gabapentin the pins and needles return fast."

Anonymous June 20, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Wow. I have been on opiates and neurontin for about 4 years now for debilitating pain in my neck and sacroiliac joint dysfunction among other things too long to list. At first the opiates helped for my pains but as time has gone by they have become a nightmare to deal with. Having to keep upping the doses because they stop working and not to mention the serious constipation that comes with these meds. So i woke up today and decided to only take the Gabapentin..all at once (that would be 2400mg). OMG..i am not in pain, my mood is so incredibly happy and my anxiety is also gone. I have energy...Something i did not have for a looong time!! I am going to try and see if mayyybe i can get off the horrible opiates and stick with my Gaba gaba do!!"

Inpaintoolong (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2016

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been having such a bad time with my left thigh & down to my left foot, the burning, shooting bolts of the worse burning pain I ever felt! On a pain level, a 12! Out of a 10! I took a 300mg GABAPENTIN & in 10-15 minutes the pain is a 6-7 outta a 10, I usually get the PN at night, it's 2:33 p.m. right now! Thank God & do for this medicine! I have controlled diabetes 2 & severe back ruptures & spinal stenosis! But, DON'T want operations as I am afraid of being paralyzed, doctors told me it was a slim possibility of that! They have to go through the front to get to my back, C-4 to L-5, otherwise, split like a trout! Thanks, but, no thanks!"

Ronlngbch#1 June 11, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Chemo induced neuropathy... 300mg 3x a day. didn't help, got worse. Upped dose to 600mg 3x a day... got WORSE. backed down to original dosing. Fett and toes completely numb, hands numb and now pain shooting and from finger tips to elbow feels like in a vice. joints in fingers have unbearable pain. Gabapentin NOT helping. Looking for alternatives..."

jen m June 7, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Gabapentin, for neuropathy, not diabetic, a smoker, treated with interferon for 13 months. I am female, 65 years of age. Dosage, 800 mg, 4 tablets a day. It did help with the neuropathy, I noticed no side effects. Then I read that Gabapentin could attribute to weight gain if taken with prescription pain medication. So, I quit taking it cold turkey. I was not informed by my neurologist to not just stop taking this medication. Within a few months I became ill. I was fatigued, couldn't think or remember properly but, didn't know what was wrong with me. I was fired after 6 years of service. One day I decided a gabapentin would help. Within 30 minutes, I was Marlyn again and overjoyed. I have since read withdrawal can take up to a year."

Office Manager May 29, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have neuropathy from chemotherapy treatment . The neuropathy is so bad that I can barely walk. I started this medication about 3 weeks ago. At this time it has done nothing for me. I am taking 100 milligrams three times a day."

Anonymous April 23, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been in tremors pain for 2 years. My left foot felt like a million needles. I couldnt walk. Until I started taking gapentin. This is a miracle. Thank god my life is normal again."

James doc (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been taking 150 mg. of gabapentin once each weekend day before bed. I have noticed a diminution of the foot burning over the one month I have been taking it. My doctor suggested that I titrate its use over time and according to pain subsidence, It also helps me sleep better."

none that I want to tell anyon March 26, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Have bad periheral neuropathy in feet - with periods of intense burning pain and last few months pain/numbness was getting much worse, especially at night. Wasn't excited about using gabapentin because of all the possible side effects listed. Finally went to Doctor who prescribed 300 mg at bedtime, but instructed could do 600 mg if necessary. Took for first time last night, 300 mg didn't seem to make much of a difference in pain so after about an hour, took another 300 mg. I was very surprised this morning at how much the burning pain had subsided! Am feeling a little sluggish/mellow today, hopefully that won't be a lasting side effect after my body gets used to the drug."

JimWilson March 19, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I tapered up to 1200mg / day, starting in September of 2015. I have noted some stabilizing of My night restless leg syndrome and a near total absence of stabbing pains in the lower legs that would occur at intervals. I don't note adverse side effects; just happy my sciatic nerve pain has markedly decreased in the process. Some constipation noted at first, but that has resolved. I've had bladder incontinence for some time and that continues as I had no expectation of that being altered by neurontin. Life goes on and I'm functioning slower now, but still get out."

Andy1050 March 5, 2016