User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

"Type 2 diabetic with PN and intense lower back pain from severe disc degeneration. Just started Gabapentin 2 weeks ago at 100mg 3x daily. First week I felt fabulous. The pins & needles subsided considerably & I was sleeping at night again. Now I noticed it is back again. Will see Dr. about increasing dose but am concerned about possible side affects as I also take Cymbalta, HBP meds, Metformin, insulin and heart meds."

Grubbypaws August 14, 2016

"Do your research. If the lowest dose of gabapentin does not work, higher doses will not either. I was prescribed GABA as soon as I was diagnosed with PN due to a side effect for a biologic I had been taking for rheumatoid arthritis. I experienced rapid weight gain, disorientation, and my short term memory was non-existent. My neurologist increased my dosage 2x, with no success. I did some research on my own and spoke to my rheumatologist and pain management doctor. They both agreed: if the lowest dose doesn't work, then it won't work... It'll just cloud your mind. Stanford University published a study deterring the prescribing of this medication for neuropathy, as did the University of Vancouver, British Columbia. The efficacy rate is 10%."

PMWilson July 29, 2016

"Ronlngbch#1 thank you for your article ; I have had minor l5 budge for 20 years with minor numbness in right thigh three week ago I started getting the worst shooting pain in the middle of night and standing up if I sit in same spot for 15 minuet's the intense pain would last 15 seconds to a minuet but the only way I can describe it is my muscle being ripped off the bone.(WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE) Dr. started me at 300 mg 3 times a day on day two already feel better I didn't even wake up last night. I was hoping it worked fast on some one else too so I know its not just a placebo effect . insurance was making me do a whole song & dance to get Lyrical I called Dr. office & he faxed in the gabapentin"

bigdog in milwaukee July 9, 2016

"My doctor has me taken 1800mg a day and its still not helping me with my pain. I can't go out cause my legs hurt as soon as I stand up. My arms hurt I have trouble doing house work basically all I do is stay home. I hate gabapentin"

dori196988888888888888888 June 21, 2016

"I have generally good luck with Gabapentin on neuropathy, though my doctor wants me to try lyrica. Neurontin stops the pins and needles of neuropathy, but not the pain. It's an improvement. It also has a strange calming effect overall. I'm ok with that. I hope the lyrica works as well. The big advantage there would be once daily dosing. If I missa dose of Gabapentin the pins and needles return fast."

muDraconis June 20, 2016

"Wow. I have been on opiates and neurontin for about 4 years now for debilitating pain in my neck and sacroiliac joint dysfunction among other things too long to list. At first the opiates helped for my pains but as time has gone by they have become a nightmare to deal with. Having to keep upping the doses because they stop working and not to mention the serious constipation that comes with these meds. So i woke up today and decided to only take the Gabapentin..all at once (that would be 2400mg). OMG..i am not in pain, my mood is so incredibly happy and my anxiety is also gone. I have energy...Something i did not have for a looong time!! I am going to try and see if mayyybe i can get off the horrible opiates and stick with my Gaba gaba do!!"

Inpaintoolong (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2016

"I have been having such a bad time with my left thigh & down to my left foot, the burning, shooting bolts of the worse burning pain I ever felt! On a pain level, a 12! Out of a 10! I took a 300mg GABAPENTIN & in 10-15 minutes the pain is a 6-7 outta a 10, I usually get the PN at night, it's 2:33 p.m. right now! Thank God & do for this medicine! I have controlled diabetes 2 & severe back ruptures & spinal stenosis! But, DON'T want operations as I am afraid of being paralyzed, doctors told me it was a slim possibility of that! They have to go through the front to get to my back, C-4 to L-5, otherwise, split like a trout! Thanks, but, no thanks!"

Ronlngbch#1 June 11, 2016

"Chemo induced neuropathy... 300mg 3x a day. didn't help, got worse. Upped dose to 600mg 3x a day... got WORSE. backed down to original dosing. Fett and toes completely numb, hands numb and now pain shooting and from finger tips to elbow feels like in a vice. joints in fingers have unbearable pain. Gabapentin NOT helping. Looking for alternatives..."

jen m June 7, 2016

"Gabapentin, for neuropathy, not diabetic, a smoker, treated with interferon for 13 months. I am female, 65 years of age. Dosage, 800 mg, 4 tablets a day. It did help with the neuropathy, I noticed no side effects. Then I read that Gabapentin could attribute to weight gain if taken with prescription pain medication. So, I quit taking it cold turkey. I was not informed by my neurologist to not just stop taking this medication. Within a few months I became ill. I was fatigued, couldn't think or remember properly but, didn't know what was wrong with me. I was fired after 6 years of service. One day I decided a gabapentin would help. Within 30 minutes, I was Marlyn again and overjoyed. I have since read withdrawal can take up to a year."

Office Manager May 29, 2016

"I have neuropathy from chemotherapy treatment . The neuropathy is so bad that I can barely walk. I started this medication about 3 weeks ago. At this time it has done nothing for me. I am taking 100 milligrams three times a day."

Anonymous April 23, 2016

"I've been in tremors pain for 2 years. My left foot felt like a million needles. I couldnt walk. Until I started taking gapentin. This is a miracle. Thank god my life is normal again."

James doc (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2016

"I have been taking 150 mg. of gabapentin once each weekend day before bed. I have noticed a diminution of the foot burning over the one month I have been taking it. My doctor suggested that I titrate its use over time and according to pain subsidence, It also helps me sleep better."

none that I want to tell anyon March 26, 2016

"Have bad periheral neuropathy in feet - with periods of intense burning pain and last few months pain/numbness was getting much worse, especially at night. Wasn't excited about using gabapentin because of all the possible side effects listed. Finally went to Doctor who prescribed 300 mg at bedtime, but instructed could do 600 mg if necessary. Took for first time last night, 300 mg didn't seem to make much of a difference in pain so after about an hour, took another 300 mg. I was very surprised this morning at how much the burning pain had subsided! Am feeling a little sluggish/mellow today, hopefully that won't be a lasting side effect after my body gets used to the drug."

JimWilson March 19, 2016

"I tapered up to 1200mg / day, starting in September of 2015. I have noted some stabilizing of My night restless leg syndrome and a near total absence of stabbing pains in the lower legs that would occur at intervals. I don't note adverse side effects; just happy my sciatic nerve pain has markedly decreased in the process. Some constipation noted at first, but that has resolved. I've had bladder incontinence for some time and that continues as I had no expectation of that being altered by neurontin. Life goes on and I'm functioning slower now, but still get out."

Andy1050 March 5, 2016

"Taking 1200 MG twice a day & still have a pain level of 7"

Slkchk513 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 4, 2016

"I have been on Neurontin for over ten years. I suffered nerve damage following a knee replacement. I have pain in the knee and pain that radiates down the leg into my foot. I take 600mg 5 times a day. I have bad days and not so bad days but the pain is NEVER gone. I could not live without this medicine as it at least curbs the pain. The only side effect I can speak of is sleepiness. But it is not bad and on a busy day I can rise above it."

Grama Audrey (taken for 10 years or more) February 21, 2016

"I couldn't imagine life without gabapentin its truly a life saver it helped with my neuropathy and reduced the pain by 90% lyrica and cymbalta didn't have a good affect on me as gabapentin did"

Herand (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

"Chronic back pain. Started years ago when I lifted weights in a gym that we're too heavy. Back has not been the same since. 6 yrs ago I fell down the stairs at home and fractured my Coyxx.."

TriciaW (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2016

"I have severe sciatica due to lower back degeneration. I also have what I believe to be lipedema, a fat metabolism disorder which causes severe leg pain. I was told that I had lymphedema and then vascular disease. My legs are symmetrically out of proportion with my upper body and chronically swollen. Very difficult. Anyway, I'm taking Percocet and I started pain management last week and the Dr wanted me to try gabapentin again, as I have used it before. I've had/have a clotting disorder blood clots. I can't take NSAIDs. I took it last night and this morning and I actually was able to walk down the stairs. Dr told me gabapentin is NOT for the pain as that is what I thought. It's for the inflammation"

Gingern February 4, 2016

"I have been taking Gabapentin since the 22nd November and am currently on 900mgs 4 x a day along with co-codamol (30mgs of codeine & 500mg paracetamol) for Neuropathic nerve pain and damaged nerves in my left ankle. At first it worked really well but its been almost 4 weeks now since I started taking it and the pain has returned both during the day and breakthrough pain at night. The pain is horrendous with shooting pain up and down my leg with a burning sensation especially at night! It is really making me fed up and is affecting my work - is there anything else out there that would be better to take and will work for this problem!!! Its driving me mad as I have to work and the pain can be just too much."

Not Amused December 18, 2015

"I've been on Neurontin for over 2 years now, 3200 mg daily / 800 mg four times daily. It is the only medication that effectively controls the idiopathic neuropathy in my feet. Lyrica was totally ineffective. I experienced serious "brain fog" fatigue and short-term memory problems when I started Neurontin but these side effects are now manageable. Neurontin has restored my quality of life to near normal."

Brian7333 December 17, 2015

"Gabapentin is great for nerve pain. I am a recent amputee due to a fracture that would not heal in my ankle. My surgeon prescribed it for phantom pain. It seemed to do the trick. I take 100mg bid, at breakfast and again at bedtime. I don't take any painkillers what so ever. Pretty good for an amputation that most people would think as being painful."

BobBk (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2015

"I have been taking 600mg two hours before bedtime for a few years now for burning feet at night. It usually works quite well. I have not had to increase my dosage and I have no side effects other than it makes me sleepy which is great at night."

Inthewoods2 November 26, 2015

"I'm taking 1800 mg a day for neuropathy from chemo (xoplatin). It doesn't work"

socalcoast2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2015

"I love gabapentin, I take 2, 300mg capsules 3 times a day. I have neuropathy, lupus, raynauds, and rheumatoid arthritis. It has helped me so much, I've been able to move around easier and it helps so much with my neutrality and ra pain."

7Susan November 2, 2015