User Reviews for Gabapentin

Also known as: Fanatrex, Gabarone, Gralise, Neurontin

Learn more about Gabapentin.

Gabapentin Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy.

Reviews for Gabapentin to treat Peripheral Neuropathy

"My surgeons PA has me on a very low dose of hydro, (had back surgery less than 2 weeks ago), & after a week of still being in pain, he added Gabapentin 600mg 3x/day. I woke from surgery & the bottom of my right foot was no longer numb, below my knee to my ft the pain was near gone, (prior to surgery my ankle hurt so bad it felt broken 95% of time), & the pain in my thigh & hip was rapidly decreased daily.Yay my surgery was a success! So the only real pain I continued to have was from surgery itself (they shaved bone from L5 & removed bulge) After being on Gaba for about 1 wk, numbness is returning. I've experienced this before from another nerve med, so I KNOW it's the Gaba! I see him next week, but I'm reducing dose gradually to 0 by then.More side effects like other's too."

Back surgery done (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"CATSPAW I read your post....hang in there. You say your legs hurt at night? I am going through the sam thing. I have difficulty walking too. What I suggest to use (I use too) get yourself a pair of medical grade knee high compression socks. These will help you heaps as they did with me. I wear them all day and even when I go to bed. Hang in there....Hope this helps."

yankeelady2015 (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Effectiveness of the drug for neuropathy in hands and feet was negated by side effects, including: Severe 24/7 headaches; wild crazy dreams that woke me up at night. The pharmacist said these symptoms usually went away after 2 weeks, but after 2 months they persisted, and other side effects seemed to be increasing. I had taken Neurontin in the past, and Lyrica, with no problems whatsoever. When researching side effects, was very surprised to read that these side effects where specific to the generic formulation. Went off, and all the side effects slowly subsided, taking about 2+ weeks to completely end."

ksquared (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug did nothing for my pain and caused such severe problems that I could not remember words, it causes brain synapses issues!"

Curlymamaw (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm supposed to take 900 mg 3x per day. However, because of the dopey side I've cut it back to one 900 mg dosage at night. I'm currently taking 30mg Norco, 20mg Zoloft and an anti-inflammatory @ one 10mg N in the morning w/the meloxicam. The rest at night. I also supplement with cannabis. This has been going on for 3 years. My pain is barely breached, unless it is a VERY nice day outside. When the weather changes, the pain is intolerable. Arthritis sucks. My pain is a result of extreme body use. Sports, Military and work options have beat me down. But the Zoloft and Gabapentin work well together and I can focus,(kind of.)"

Guitar Jack (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 1.5 or Latent autoimmune diabetes (LADA) diabetic with fibromyalgia and severe PN. I was given Gabapentin 300mg to start and I am now up to 3 times a day. I get very drowsy from the medication, but without it there is no way I can sleep or walk. It has been very helpful for me, though I am once again having troubles sleeping and wonder if an additional pain medication might help manage the gabapentin in relief or if perhaps I should try a different medication. I'm not sure if there is a tolerance level for Gabapentin, but for small PN and nerve issues, it has been a very effective medication."

Blackhole Quasar March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Dilantin for 15 years --- which is why I suffer from P.N. I am on other anti-seizure drugs and anti-depressants. I do not know if those meds have delayed or ameliorated my P.N, but I am now 67 and the P.N. is finally getting bad. No reflexes No feeling in my feet Restless leg Stabbing pain in my feet which can make walking very hard. I 'save' Gabapentin for the worst symptoms since it makes me sleepy and I do not want to get addicted to the relief it gives me. But when I cannot relieve the nerve pain in any other way, Gabapentin is a life savior."

Pam M February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 43 years old I was recently prescribed gabapentin for morphine withdrawal maintenance. I'm kinda happy with gabbys it really calms me down and helps with nerve and bone pains, I really only have one major side effect from gabapentin which is if I stand up to fast I feel kinda light headed, sometimes I have to sit back down or I might fall down, but thats something I can learn to live with, this side effect, I'll stay on it for a while see what long term use is like, I've had a lot of friends prescribed gabbys and they seem ok, one thing I really enjoy is how calm I am on them."

JayRoyBoy February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 800 mg of gabapentin 4 times a day plus Savella 50 mg x2 plus a special B complex 2x a day. While my pain is better, I can't exercise, walk any real distance and dread evenings when my legs hurt worst and feel like lead. I am a tightly controlled diabetic with an A1C of under 6 and yet the neuropathy is at times unbearable. I was diagnosed with diabetes 4 months after my symptoms started and was checked for diabetes regularly. I don't get it. I have done everything I can to control this disease. I also had 17 spinal procedures including ablations to kill the nerves. Nothing helps. Any suggestions? Don't know how much more I can take."

CatsPaw55 February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have arthritis in my neck, which causes severe nerve pain. I am not a fan of medications. I use normally only alternative medicine. I am taking 300 mg at night. The first night I was knocked out. When I opened my eyes my first thought was no pain. I got up and everything started spinning. The dizziness lasted until 3:00 pm. I was glad it was Saturday. I hated the feeling! I thought okay I give it a couple days... During the day the constant pain was almost not persistent. It started hurting only in certain movements. Overall pain was a 3. I was able to do all my exercises. 2nd day dizziness reduced, pain level 3. Still not comparable. Mood is better without the severe pain. I was given an anti-inflammatory celecoxib 200 mg."

T.J (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was given to my 91 yr. old mother 3 times a day for the nerve damage in her feet. The medicine relieved her pain, but she became very lethargic. There were days when she she was so out of it she could not sit 5 minutes without falling asleep. She had swelling in her knees, hand tremors and was not able to communicate properly. Only after I read about the side effects did I realize her condition was possibly because of the neurotin. The Dr. changed it from 3 times to 2 times a day and in a matter of 2 days my mother was back to herself and her foot problem was much better."

Bustamove January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have SLE Lupus, I'm a diabetic and I'm on dialysis. I'm currently taking gabapentin 300mg daily. Before dialysis I was taking 300mg 3x a day. The Nephalogist says taking more than 300mg daily would be harmful to me and because of the decrease dosage I still have the pain. It's more like an really intense burning and itching sensation. I can't go any where or do anything because right now the only relief I get is when I'm rubbing my feet. Sometimes it does this and my blood sugar is normal like right now. My podiatrist won't change back my prescription based on what my nephalogist says. I'm miserable right now and don't know what else I can do. Please somebody help! "

Chariserae January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a mild case of neuropathy. My symptoms are sharp pains and burning in my feet and hands, sensitivity to touch especially on my feet. The neurologist has me on 300mg of gabapentin three time a day. My symptoms are alleviated so much I can not believe it. I sleep better at night and don't wake up. I am over all relaxed. I feel calm most of the day. It works for me great."

Pebbles & Bam Bam November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking 300 at bedtime for two months calling doctor having trouble concentrating on driving and panic attack and nervous type symptoms will driving"

Poppett (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First and foremost I have been taking Gabapentin 100mg daily and it knocked about 75% of my symptoms out. The bad started after 5 months. Massive instant mood changes, feelings of wanting to hurt others for no reason were the worst. I had people tell me I was 2 diff people minutes apart. Needles and pins, burning slowly returning. Going back to dr to change it or somehow just deal with the pain. I'm a passive person and I was becoming a monster. I will live in pain instead of being a saint one minute then a monster minutes later. Love the relief but not the side effects."

Agitated and ambulatory (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have fibromyalgia,oa as well as ra.i had been on morphine 1800mgs daily for almost 8yrs.and it helped me escape from the abusive man i was married to(now divorced) and went thru the total hell of withdrawl ive never experienced since that 20 yr marriage!!the withdrawl of the opiates were worth it to get myself and my 2 teen sons lives in order.im currently on gabapentin 300mgs a day,and what a miracle drug its been without the hateful narcotics!! "

luvy September 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gabapentin tends to dull the sharp pains of peripheral neuropathy, but it doesn't actually get rid of pain. That said, the more generalized sensation can make it easier to do ADL tasks as needed, since you *might* be able to feel other things in the same area as the neuropathic pain. That said, mine is related to MS... on bad days, it seems the Gabapentin does nothing at all."

Ken L. August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Type 2 diabetic with PN and intense lower back pain from severe disc degeneration. Just started Gabapentin 2 weeks ago at 100mg 3x daily. First week I felt fabulous. The pins & needles subsided considerably & I was sleeping at night again. Now I noticed it is back again. Will see Dr. about increasing dose but am concerned about possible side affects as I also take Cymbalta, HBP meds, Metformin, insulin and heart meds."

Grubbypaws August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Do your research. If the lowest dose of gabapentin does not work, higher doses will not either. I was prescribed GABA as soon as I was diagnosed with PN due to a side effect for a biologic I had been taking for rheumatoid arthritis. I experienced rapid weight gain, disorientation, and my short term memory was non-existent. My neurologist increased my dosage 2x, with no success. I did some research on my own and spoke to my rheumatologist and pain management doctor. They both agreed: if the lowest dose doesn't work, then it won't work... It'll just cloud your mind. Stanford University published a study deterring the prescribing of this medication for neuropathy, as did the University of Vancouver, British Columbia. The efficacy rate is 10%."

PMWilson July 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ronlngbch#1 thank you for your article ; I have had minor l5 budge for 20 years with minor numbness in right thigh three week ago I started getting the worst shooting pain in the middle of night and standing up if I sit in same spot for 15 minuet's the intense pain would last 15 seconds to a minuet but the only way I can describe it is my muscle being ripped off the bone.(WORST PAIN OF MY LIFE) Dr. started me at 300 mg 3 times a day on day two already feel better I didn't even wake up last night. I was hoping it worked fast on some one else too so I know its not just a placebo effect . insurance was making me do a whole song & dance to get Lyrical I called Dr. office & he faxed in the gabapentin"

bigdog in milwaukee July 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor has me taken 1800mg a day and its still not helping me with my pain. I can't go out cause my legs hurt as soon as I stand up. My arms hurt I have trouble doing house work basically all I do is stay home. I hate gabapentin"

dori196988888888888888888 June 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have generally good luck with Gabapentin on neuropathy, though my doctor wants me to try lyrica. Neurontin stops the pins and needles of neuropathy, but not the pain. It's an improvement. It also has a strange calming effect overall. I'm ok with that. I hope the lyrica works as well. The big advantage there would be once daily dosing. If I missa dose of Gabapentin the pins and needles return fast."

Anonymous June 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wow. I have been on opiates and neurontin for about 4 years now for debilitating pain in my neck and sacroiliac joint dysfunction among other things too long to list. At first the opiates helped for my pains but as time has gone by they have become a nightmare to deal with. Having to keep upping the doses because they stop working and not to mention the serious constipation that comes with these meds. So i woke up today and decided to only take the Gabapentin..all at once (that would be 2400mg). OMG..i am not in pain, my mood is so incredibly happy and my anxiety is also gone. I have energy...Something i did not have for a looong time!! I am going to try and see if mayyybe i can get off the horrible opiates and stick with my Gaba gaba do!!"

Inpaintoolong (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been having such a bad time with my left thigh & down to my left foot, the burning, shooting bolts of the worse burning pain I ever felt! On a pain level, a 12! Out of a 10! I took a 300mg GABAPENTIN & in 10-15 minutes the pain is a 6-7 outta a 10, I usually get the PN at night, it's 2:33 p.m. right now! Thank God & do for this medicine! I have controlled diabetes 2 & severe back ruptures & spinal stenosis! But, DON'T want operations as I am afraid of being paralyzed, doctors told me it was a slim possibility of that! They have to go through the front to get to my back, C-4 to L-5, otherwise, split like a trout! Thanks, but, no thanks!"

Ronlngbch#1 June 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Chemo induced neuropathy... 300mg 3x a day. didn't help, got worse. Upped dose to 600mg 3x a day... got WORSE. backed down to original dosing. Fett and toes completely numb, hands numb and now pain shooting and from finger tips to elbow feels like in a vice. joints in fingers have unbearable pain. Gabapentin NOT helping. Looking for alternatives..."

jen m June 7, 2016